Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Yet another Wobbuffet question!!!

Daddiursa

Can anyone tell me if a Kingdra EX with an Aquapolis Horsea under (w/reverse thrust attack) can attack a Wobbuffet with Genereic Memory making it reatreat to the bench? I know Wobbuffet takes no damage (or special condition) from EX-pokemon, but how about the reverse thrust making Kingdra EX retreat? It says on Wobbuffet he prevents all damage, and effect of attacks done to Wobbuffet, but the switching effect isn't done TO Wobbuffet, that's done to Kingdra EX. Or?

Hope you see the reason for me to ask!

Last edited:
No, the effect is being done to Wobuffet, by an EX pokemon. It doesn't matter how that ex pokemon managed to come up with that effect.

OK, I wasn't thinking about the 20 damage from Reverse Thrust, I was thinking about the switching effect to get Kingdra EX back to the bench. Anyway I went a bit further in my quest for an answer, and the Compendium says I indeed CAN attack when facing a Wobbuffet (with an EX), only that any effect of the attack harming Wobbuffet itself would be disregarded. Read on:

== SAFEGUARD (Wobbuffet - EX:Sandstorm)

Q. What if I put up a Mewtwo EX against Wobbuffet and try to use Energy Absorbtion? Would that trigger Wobbuffet's "Safeguard" Poke-Body?
A. No, Mewtwo EX's "Energy Absorption" is not doing any effects to Wobbuffet, so Safeguard would not prevent it. (Dec 4, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. Say Shedinja or Wobbuffet is my active Pokemon and my opponent uses Kindra EX's Genetic Memory attack and chose Seadra's Water Arrow to attack my benched Pokemon. Is Genetic Memory blocked by Shedinja's Wonder Guard and Wobbuffet's Safeguard when attacking something on the bench?
A. The wording of Shedinja's "Wonder Guard" and Wobbuffet's "Safeguard" are very similar to Neo Revelation Suicune's "Crystal Body" power. So basically anything that is not being directly done to Shedinja or to Wobbuffet does not get ignored. (Dec 4, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

Q. What happens if Aggron-EX uses "Metal Surge" VS. an active Wobbuffet? Does Wobbuffet take no damage and all benched pokemon take 20 damage? Or does the "Safeguard" PokeBody prevent damage and effects done to the benched pokemon too?
A. Sorry, Wobbuffet's Safeguard only protects itself. The benched Pokemon would be damaged by Aggron-EX. (Jan 8, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Last edited:
Ah, misunderstood.
Yes, if the effect does not happen to Wobuffet, it still happens.

Back