Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Younger Players - Raising Their Hands for Help

PokeDaddy

Hello Everyone -

I am starting this thread to generate discussion on how we can, as parents/POP/Professors/Judges, foster an atmosphere where the younger children feel comfortable in raising their hands during a game.

My son did not raise his hand during a match at Nationals. He would have won his match when his opponent refused to take damage with Desert Ruins between turns. My son would have KO'd two Pokemon ex for the win. He didn't raise his hand. We spent lots of quality time discussing this with the excellent judges at Nationals. Bottom Line is that he needs to raise his hand if there is a question during game play. I am open to any and all suggestions in this area. My son is not perfect, makes mistakes, however, he didn't raise his hand when he should have.

What can we do as a community of parents/POP/Professors/Judges to enable our children to make them feel it's OK to raise their hand to ask a question.

Some thoughts I have -
1. A pre-brief to the 10- players on expectations prior to premier events (raise hand, clean game state, cards above table, don't scoop your cards unless you're sure that the game is over, talk out (communicate) each move, etc);
2. Have the judges mention, during the course of the games, "If you have any questions, raise your hand";
3. Higher density of judges in the 10- division (I will volunteer at Worlds so as to free up more judges);
4. Re-Enforce game play expectations and question asking during weekly league play;​

Please do not take this post in any way, shape, or form as a criticism to the POP/Judge folks. They are doing their very best and have tough jobs AND they are doing a great job at this.

I apologize if this has come up before and it is redundant but I would appreciate folks input.

Most Sincerely,
Steve

Steve: I think it really starts at home and at leagues. If you tell the kids they can ask for a judge, raise their hand, etc, then it will begin to sink in. Just like in school, raise hand, get called on/attention from judge. At our tourneys, especially the premier events, we tell the players at the start to raise their hands if a Q comes up in a game AT THE TIME it happens, not after the game! We also tell them to not get advice/rulings from a player sitting next to them..only the judges can give rulings.

As I stated in your other thread.....kids are taught to respect their elders. If one judge tells them something, they tend to follow/obey that, even if it is wrong.

As for a judge reminding players during a tourney, to raise hands if they have Qs, that may help some. Also, dont forget that most events have "active" judging (instead of passive), menaing they will correct an error if they see one even w/o a player requesting help. (Passive means to wait until a player requests a ruling only....not good IMHO bc some players will try to game his opponent)

Last thing, PUI/POP selects staff for Worlds. I would imagine all the judging positions are selected by now. Usually, POP will not want a parent judging in the same age group their child is playing in, although it does happen sometimes. Of course, then the parent shouldn't rule on any Qs involving their child's match.

Keith
Keith

Lawman said:
Last thing, PUI/POP selects staff for Worlds. I would imagine all the judging positions are selected by now. Usually, POP will not want a parent judging in the same age group their child is playing in, although it does happen sometimes. Of course, then the parent shouldn't rule on any Qs involving their child's match.

Keith
Keith
I think he was saying that he'd volunteer for other stuff so that it frees up someone to judge 10-.

Lawman said:
Usually, POP will not want a parent judging in the same age group their child is playing in, although it does happen sometimes. Of course, then the parent shouldn't rule on any Qs involving their child's match.

Keith
Keith

Keith - I would volunteer to Volunteer not Judge. I would get coffee, donuts, whatever so as to free up others to Judge.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

Steve: No problem, check in w/ POP @ Worlds to see who/where/how many volunteers they need. They had a volunteer staff coordinator @ Worlds 2005....Ranae I think?

Keith

Lawman said:
Steve: No problem, check in w/ POP @ Worlds to see who/where/how many volunteers they need. They had a volunteer staff coordinator @ Worlds 2005....Ranae I think?

Keith
Keith, Her name is Ronae and yes, as of this time, she will once again be the Worlds Volunteer Coordinator (actual assignments have not yet been distributed). I incourage anyone and everyone that wants to help make Worlds successful to see my wife AT WORLDS. I can tell you that with a Starbucks in the Hotel there may be many, many requests of "(Fill in name here), fetch me a coffee. There will be other needs that players and parents can fill. Some we know now. Most we won't know until the need arrises.

As for the initial topic, even though active judging will be employed, it is impossible for the judges to catch everything. At Nats we had five judges plus a roving contingent of runners/support personnel. In the younger age group that worked out to about 1 judge per 10 matches. We are in the process of doing a post mortem on our experiences at Nats, and becuase of the overlap in staff will work to continue to improve the quality of our events.

Steve, I hope that other parents will take a positive, active roll like you have here. It can do nothing but help. See you at Worlds. :cool:

With Ronae running the show, you can be assured that there will be a tip top group of people involved!

Between Ronae coordinating the volunteers and Hagrid in the Hive....

What a Wonderful Worlds!

(OK, that has stepped over the line of cheesy)

See you all there!

Vince

Oh, and if I know who they have running the 10- show again (I think I do), you will have a very approachable group of judges. Have your little one (even with you) approach a judge and learn their name. At least that way he will have one person on the judge staff he can identify with!

I could just see a large group at the start...all seated in a circle...Hi everybody...I'm KIM!

Group --- "hi Kim!!!"

Hi Everybody I'm Derek!!!

Group ---- "Hi Derek"

OK, t'would just be a cute moment....and a fun way to introduce the 10- judges!

Last edited:
meganium45 said:
With Ronae running the show, you can be assured that there will be a tip top group of people involved!

Between Ronae coordinating the volunteers and Hagrid in the Hive....

What a Wonderful Worlds!

(OK, that has stepped over the line of cheesy)

See you all there!

Vince
Vince,

Ronae thanks you greatly for the complement, as do I. She wants me to point out though that she would much rather be in charge of the Florida Mall. Shopping is definately her forte. She shops, I pay the bills (she helps on this too)

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go! :cool:

Let people scoop, it got me to t4 in Gyms and I am in 15+.
and they guy who scooped could have won (vs me in T8)
it is all of a matter if they want to give up or not. IMHO.
No one should make any choices for players. (such as scooping, conceding, other game play)

TINA

Vince et al -

Kim was awesome with Thomas. He sat us down after the event and really approached Thomas at the level he required.

I coach lots of young kids in soccer and basketball and know the importance and criticality of having the "authority figure" connect with the younger ones AT THEIR LEVEL. I did mention to Kim about a "meet and greet" with maybe some reminders about what the kids can do to get a judge's help.

BTW, Thomas asked for and received an autograph from Kim on a Cyclone Energy - that's how much he respected and appreciated Kim.

Kim, if you read this, thanks.

Steve
---------
Tina -

The scooping issue that came up (in a different battle) came as a result of not giving up but thinking they had won but really did not.
I originally posted this thread for constructive dialog on helping younger players work and feel comfortable within the organized structure of game play at a Premier Event.
Thanks for your input.

Steve

Hagrid23 said:
As for the initial topic, even though active judging will be employed, it is impossible for the judges to catch everything. At Nats we had five judges plus a roving contingent of runners/support personnel. In the younger age group that worked out to about 1 judge per 10 matches. We are in the process of doing a post mortem on our experiences at Nats, and becuase of the overlap in staff will work to continue to improve the quality of our events.
I think they did a pretty good job at Nats. In my 6th round, my opponent was cheating and I didn't even know but the judge caught him. :clap: I guess thats what they're for! :thumb: =P

With 10-'s and usually the one's who are not that close to 10, It takes alot of reassurance that it is OK to ask for someone to step in. I'm not sure how long your son has been playing competative Pokemon- usually with time and experience they'll come around. My son's first few years he had the intimidation of asking someone for a ruling and would just listen to his opponent. He's a quiet boy when it comes to talking to adults at times. After loosing games he knew he wouldn't have- it started setting in that- what we were saying would help and keep the game smoothly.

We've just always tell him- if you KNOW your in the right or if YOUR NOT sure about what your opponent says- you call someone- it's NOT going to bother them or your game. Don't let your opponent tell you any different. Once that competative nature kicks in- I dont' think they have problems calling a judge.

Back