Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Zaniken's nationals report

Zaniken

Hey people! I'm never on the 'gym but I decided I would write a report on what happened to me at U.S. nationals. It's kinda sad IMO but w/e. I'm in the senior division.

After spending last night and most of the morning testing beedril and palkia/dialga, I psyched myself out of playing a deck I didn't know and decided to play Plox with a dusknoir tech.

First Round: SP toolbox (?)
So the guy has no claydol and never power sprays me. I get set up and start psychic locking him. Without poison his toxicroaks can't do damage to me. Easy win.
1-0

Second Round: Spread (Obamasnow/Giritina)
This was kinda tricky. I start with my duskull and nothing useful but topdeck a roseanne's. by the time I've set up he's taken two prizes with abomasnow and has my weavile down to 10hp. I decide that since Giritina takes sooo long to set up and he didn't have another obama in play to go crazy with gallade. I take three prizes and start ploxing and he can never get set up again.
2-0

Third Round: Mirror (literally a 4-card difference between lists)
I got the worst start I think I've ever seen. My opening hand is Sneasel, two Pokehealer+, two Rare Candy, Gardevior (platinum), and a psychic. I go first and draw gallade. I attack. I draw a dark. I attack. I draw a baltoy. I attack. For about 6 turns taking a prize while he sets up a gardevior. Then he ploxes me and I die. We played again later and I beat him by getting out dusknoir before he did and stopping his plox so I could use dark palm.
2-1

Fourth Round: Dialga
I start with a similiar hand in the third round against dialga. He gets the T1 deafen lock on me and I'm stuck. About the same time I get a gardevior he starts taking prizes. He power sprays me four times in a row.
2-2

Fifth Round: Rampardos
I don't remember this game at all, only that I won and it was extremely easy.
3-2

Sixth Round: Gardy/Gengar
This round makes me mad. So we played a really close game, he got set up faster but I one-shotted his first psychic lock gardevior with the platinum one. Time is called at two prizes a piece. I still haven't used either of my unown G's and he has no more attacking pokemon except a gengar and a gallade with 90 damage on it and both prizes flipped. I also still have all 4 pokehealers. I can't draw into the healers and the gardy lv. x to bring down his gallade so I guard whatever he attacks and plox him once, figuring I can use dusknoirs hard feelings later to get around his fainting spell. My last energy is prized so I can't attack with dusknoir. he hits heads on faintiong spell and I lose all my energy and am forced to conceed.
3-3

So after this round I start thinking about dropping. Before the tournament I was 3rd in North America and after two terrible starts i'm getting afraid of a third one. But by the time I decide I want to drop pairings are up and I have to play another round.

Seventh Round: Magnezone
YAY something I can counter!: He gets an early start on me with his free retreat magnezone and two claydols out by turn 4. he RC's into a metagross on the bench and scares me when he flips heads on magnetic reversal. He misplays and knocks out my ralts instead of my gardevior, so I RC into dusknoir and dark palm his metagross (he has a full bench) and start ploxing. I pokehealer tank my gardevior and with weavile in play hit him with plox every turn until he loses.
4-3

So I drop at 4-3. Just to be on the safe side. With one of my losses to the guy who's second in the nation (the plox player) I figured that I break roughly even on points and should get my invite to worlds.

Props:
Greg and THE ONE DECK going 5-3
Judging staff and organization of the event =)
David&Steven for being cool

Slops:
nobody from washington making top 32 -.- (except ian but he lost there in juniors)
Gengar winning the majority of games in seniors
Lack of food near the convention center
the heat =(
Bad starts

Are you from Washington? Congrats-ish on not loosing any points, srry about the bad starts. great to hear that a WA player represented at Nats.

Just FYI for the other washington peeps that view this thread, Steven (playing bees) went 5-3 took 64th and then lost to the number one seed playing gengar w/ luxray tech. David and Katelyn both went 5-3 and didn't make top cut playing bees and gengar respectively. Katelyn's brother (Sorry can't remember name, brain freeze) went 4-4 with I believe Flygon. Patrick went 4-4 with TTar in masters, one of the chins dropped at 3-1 while the other one went 5-3 i think, can't remember for sure.

if anyone else has any other information that I keep forgetting post in this thread =)

I finally got the internet here to work. =O

Gratz on playing a cool deck. Sounds like you would have won a lot more if you hadn't gotten so unlucky so much. I bet you could have made at least top 16 if it wasn't for that.

Gratz. forrrr not loosing points annddd playing GG. Yeah. Oh well, you'll just have to place second in worlds after I grind in and win. :p

Back