Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

ZRE and Cargo

Professor Elm

OK I am gonna play ZRE but there is a problem.
I dont know whether or not ZRE runs best w/ or without Macargo. I dont really have the time or cards to test it out right now.
Personally I have always seen ZRE as a super fast deck but I think that Macargo takes away from its T2 setups and pure speed. Please help me decide to play Cargo or not.

From what I tested:

It gives you consistency after using Admin - yeah choosing your next draw is very useful. always. So you have total control of the situation after the Admin, while your opp lost his hand and hopefully his searcher last turn.
It can destroy your opponents Desert Ruins and save you in a desperate situation
It can fight back Safeguarders

The downsides are:

Starting with lone slugma is n´t good =(
Late game it can become a prey for reversals/pows/ drag-off style attacks
It´s totally useless against Medicham ex so you´re wasting 4 spots in your deck

And, unless you start with lone slugma as basic, it won´t really slow your setup, he will speeds it up by giving you wathever you may need.

there isn't better or worse with or without cargo.
the only thing is that you WANT or not.
if you like cargo, you can and you will use it at its full potential.
if you don't want to have cargo in it, just forget about it.

Professor Elm said:
OK I am gonna play ZRE but there is a problem.
I dont know whether or not ZRE runs best w/ or without Macargo. I dont really have the time or cards to test it out right now.
Personally I have always seen ZRE as a super fast deck but I think that Macargo takes away from its T2 setups and pure speed. Please help me decide to play Cargo or not.

Here's the thing, Cargo is great in ZRE from what I've tested. Its helped me come back even with the worst starts. I think it should be in there, but JMO>

I agree with the Cargo guys. ZRE works best if you have a few Switch in your deck so being Reversal/POw'd etc should not be a huge problem.

What IS a huge problem on the other hand is when you can't find a counter stadium or are up against some annoying Safeguard Pokemon that your EXs can't touch.

I run a 2-2 line and it works very well. If you are lucky enough to get it out second or third turn it works great with Magmar. Sometimes I have two benched. Use one - TVR - use the other - draw for next turn. Great stuff when it happens.

Usually though one benched is enough and keeps you from running into horrible draw.

I won Conroe City Championship without Macargo. I went for speed with Magmar. Dump and draw with mary's request is real fast. First turn including set up equals 1/3 of your deck used up. If you can't draw what you need from the get go your a very unlucky person.
Also, if run up against safeguard decks those decks will end losing to everything else. You can't tech against everything just hope you can get good pairings throughout the tournament.

Last edited:
OK well in ZRE without Cargo you get a faster setup early game and you have the potential to draw 7 cards in one turn w/ Marys+Dump and Draw.
With Cargo you have the possibility of starting w/ Slug but you usually get a better set up late game.
the Starter to non starter Pokemon ratio is usually this (depending on your deck)
With Cargo
4:7 OR (if you play 4 Torb and 3 Magmar) 7:13

Without Cargo
2:3 (4:6) OR (if you play 4 Torb and 3 Magmar) 7:11
So clearly the bottom ratio is better.
I think I am gonna go w/ NO CARGO.

if your gonna play zre, then join Team ZRE!!! j/k
i don't even play zre with magmar, but jirachi with magcargo is better.

Well I vote that somebody starts Team ZRE!
Yeah! Lets do it!
Of course you are the one w/ the idea but if you dont want to found it then I will.

Last edited:
Back