Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

15+ I like to have your opinion about leaving a game for a few minutes

Rainbowgym

Before I go to mail the organizing part of the Worlds I like to have some opinions of 15+ players who are attending there.

I'm playing at the 15+ division, but my kids + 2 others traveling with me are also playing, but 3 of them don't speak English.
How would you feel when one of them needs a translator (in case a judge has to ask them something) and I will go there (on request of a judge) to translate.

I indicated at the forms that they need a translator, but wrote down I'm a professor and there willing to translate.
I didn't think a minut about that I'm playing by myself.

Now I have an invitation and I want to play like everyone, but I'm in doubt because of my kids.
So what I want to suggest to the Headjudge or the one in charge, to give me permission to leave my seat in case help is needed, but to extent the playing time for me and my opponent if I'm away to long.
I know this can be felt as disrupting the game, because leaving in a game can break your concentration.
Just want some opinions before I will even contact PUI about this proposal.

Some people who played at Gencon last year, know I have been away during play because of translation needs and no-one complained about it. ( this was also for the Belgium players as for my own kids)
But I also realize that the prizes at Worlds are different and mean more.

Before you give any reply, just realize that a bunch of foreign players are attending there and they will mainly hear English around them. Not knowing were all those people are talking about, not able to communicate like most of you can.
That you get very tired and overwhelmed as little kid in that situation, but as kid knowing that someone you know and knows the game will translate your answers or questions will give less frustration.
I can also decide not to play by myself, but think about why you are going there, yes to play so I like to do that to.

So please some opinions about how you would feel if your opponent leaves temp. the game on request of a judge.

Li@

Well this is probably applicabble to most of the players from Mexico too, 2 whom which I know will enter the grinder and 2 others who are in the underage categories and i think they dont know english VERY well, just the basic stuff. Ives is going to be judging so it shouldnt be a problem, but I would also love to help out if im needed, and I certainly wouldnt mind my opponent helping out his kids when those prizes are at stake

well, I'm not in 15+, but I would like to voice my opinion here
if I were in 15+, I would be very happy to have you translate, as it makes the game go more smoothly
but if you want to play, then go ahead
you earned it

perhaps provisions could be made where your table and the table of the kids you need to translate for on occasion could be moved together, that way any translation time could be kept to a minimum.

That's something I thought of, but I don't want to be to close at them.
Think what you will think if one of them asks me something, you will never know what they asked.
On the other side when you ask something at your neighbour they also don't know.
And i'm not even referring to game things because they know I don't answer those without interfering of a judge, but what if they ask me how much time left or something like that?

I always avoid judging my own kids/players as I can.
But for them this tournament is also important and I like to give them the best translator they could have and without doubt in my language it's me.

The l33tist pwnge slang slinging mob will definitely complain and try and use it against you.. I suggest you get official rulings from PUI, the TO and the HJ and make sure they announce it before the matches start otherwise there will be blood on the carpet.

And I don't care how nice people are on this board or how much the protest that it won't happen .. there are players who would use any advantage to win.. and not just in 15+

Basically I think PUI should be addressing the language issues, find out from Int what they propose and go from there.

JMHO but hey you know the l33tist are out there :(

Pro - I know that's why I started this topic.

Someone of OP mailed me a translator will be available if I asked for it on the forms, but there are no translators who also know this game. I know all the Dutch speaking profs and really involved people who know what they are talking about and none of them besides me will be there.

If they really have a translator I want to compare skills, because I think anyone can imagine how it would feel to be translated incorrect about a gamesituation.

Well I personally wouldn't mind. I can see people getting irritated at it though.... Umm check with nintendo or see if there's someone else there not involved with your group that would be able to translate?

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as the HJ, etc allows a time extension to your match to give full time to both players.

Keith

I think Nintendo will have some translators on hand. If not, then, as Pro says, there will be blood on the floor. This is a wide open opportunity for either an English-speaking opponent to manipulate a non English-speaking player, or the other way around.

I would prefer official translators as judges, not players/judges. I would not be annoyed if my opponent had to temporarily leave his game. Give us no time limit, or a time extension, and I'm fine. However, I'd just prefer the translators to either just judge or just play. In official tournaments, translating has similar responsibilities to judging, so you wouldn't want your judge in the main event too, now would you?

Realistically, I do not believe that Nintendo will just "wing it" on finding translators.

Last edited:
I personally DO have a problem with it. If POP needs translators, they need to supply them, and compensate them. That's why they've paid for at least one Mexican that I know of to go to Worlds and help judge/translate. That person should NOT be allowed to participate in the main event or official side events when on-duty to translate.

Now, if I were playing and my opponent was asked to translate, I'd say that walking away from a game to help translate is NO different than walking away from a game to make a ruling, it CAN'T happen because hired staff are NOT allowed to also play.

It's a disruption to leave a game. Only for emergencies should players be allowed to leave games. If someone is called away from a game on a regular basis to translate, I'd say that's TOO disruptive and should be disallowed.

Plus, I'd say it becomes a bit tricky when a parent/friend is asked to translate. But I'd have NO problem if that parent/friend was NOT playing.

Last edited:
I sure as heck hope that PUI is sending in some good translators-there's a reason I stopped after 3 years of German-mein Deustch ist nicht so gut! ;)

yoshi1001 said:
I sure as heck hope that PUI is sending in some good translators-there's a reason I stopped after 3 years of German-mein Deustch ist nicht so gut! ;)
Well, in general I try to be nice about things but as others including yourself have pointed out the
prizes are HUGE!!! I personally have attention/focusing issues and I know alot of other players do
as well. My opponent leaving could really throw me off my game and give them an advantage. I have also been on the short end of the stick of delaying/stalling problems. I think that PUI can handle the translations issues. As a parent who plays I would not want anyone to be able to point
to my kid and suggested that I had helped/coached etc. Just my point of view on the subject.

Organized Play has arranged for paid translators to be present (if requested by players coming in from non-English-speaking countries).

I sympathize with Lia's concern about the game knowledge level of said translators, but I guess their job is to accurately translate and a judge will assist with game-specific answers (which will be counter-translated).

I believe one is either a player, or not, but trying to do both (play and aid others while playing) is not a realistic expectation.

Rainbowgym said:
I always avoid judging my own kids/players as I can.

The reason that you avoid judging you own kid's games is the same reason why no one should translate for their own kids in a game. It can give the impression of impropriety.

The translators at Worlds do not need to know anything about the game. They just need to translate what the players are saying to each other and, if need be, to the judge. Perhaps POP will go over some of the more common game related terms with the translators prior to Worlds?

Delaying your own matches in this situation would not be well tolerated either and would not be fair to your opponents.

Would you possibly be able to teach your kids enough game related english to get through most situations? I have never tried to learn Dutch so I have no idea how hard this might be. My son and I have talked about learning "enough" Japanese should we ever decide to journey to Japan for some Pokemon fun.

Last edited:
I asked for a translator, but knowing me being there so I also pointed on that.
They are working on a translator for the main event I know and I have to leave it up to the organizing part.

I only have a bad feeling about it.
A very very bad feeling, I think they asked our distributor for a translator and I also think that some employee of that distributor will be pushed ahead to act as translator. And that is my nightmare.
It's just based on my feelings, so meaby this will not happen.

If they hire a professional translator I don't have a problem.
We also have 2 professors overhere who are capable to translate, because they also play and I hope they will contact one of them.
In the last case I will give up my own place to play, hard to do but my kids go for everything.

Dutch is a very difficult language and my kids speak a few words English but not enough to communicate about gameplay situations. The oldest can translate most of the cards, but that's something else than verbal communication. The youngest is only 7 years and just learned the basics of his own language to write and read.

I can understand most reactions, but I also wonder about them.
Just place yourself in my situation. You being in a country were you can't communicate.
You have to depend on a good translator to get an equal change.
Won't you have any doubts.
I want my kids to have a good time and no tears afterwarts because they had a communication problem.

I'm only trying to catch problems before they happen.

Last edited:
Rainbowgym said:
I can understand most reactions, but I also wonder about them.
Just place yourself in my situation. You being in a country were you can't communicate.
You have to depend on a good translator to get an equal change.
Won't you have any doubts.
I want my kids to have a good time and no tears afterwarts because they had a communication problem.

I'm only trying to catch problems before they happen.

That's good that you're bringing this up now. I expect POP will do what's necessary to facilitate your kids (and any other non-English speaking players). Feelings about the quality of translators are important, but mis-translations will probably happen. As a person who once spoken Mandarin Chinese fairly fluently, I know that things get lost in translation. Add to that the problem of an adult trying to communicate with a child.

As a parent who went to a previous international event (TMB 2002), I can confidently say that translations will NOT be an issue during tournament play. It WASN'T an issue at that TMB (where there were Americans, Japanese, Dutch, Italians, Germans, and Portuguese), and won't be an issue at Worlds.

I don't care. As long as the judge gives an extension, I don't. The people that do care are insensitive, selfish people. Worlds is supposed to be international, and language is going to be a problem. If people have a problem with other people leaving games for 2-3 minutes just to translate one quick thing, then I think THEY are the ones with the problem. If anything, it is going to disrupt the translator's attention and concentration, not theirs. So all of you people who have a problem with it, you should seriously reconsider.

Back