Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2009 Masters World Champion Report!

Squirtle

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
"Believe in Miracles, Because They Believe in YOU!"

OK guys, before I even start to write this report I need to thank the following:

Jesus, for blessing me with the skill needed to play this game a high level. And a little bit of luck every now and then is nice too :)
My dad, for being my best friend for the past 10 years. Without you this wouldn't be possible. This was as much for you as it was for me.
Jim Roll, for being there for the past year+. The support from You.Grafton , Carson and D has been incredible. Thanks man.
Aaron Curry, the playtesting, the deck tweaks, everything. Thanks man, CROBAT!!!!!!
TPCi, and everyone who contributed to the event. You all did phenomenal.
Brent Siebenkittel, you've been one of my best friends since 2005. More than a friend, like a brother. Through thick and thin you've been my supporter, and my opponent. Thanks for the memories bro.
Michelle Elizabeth Holub<3, you've been kind of lost in the shuffle with all of this. For that I am truly sorry. This win meant as much to you, as it did to me or anyone else. I'm so thankful to have you next to me when I wake up every morning. I'm glad I was able to win this on our 14 month anniversary, These have been 426 of the best days of my life. I'm so happy I got to share this with you.
Mozzy, I know the finals between Sammi and myself put you in a very hard spot. And I know you're sick right now, but I know that you are a fighter and that you're going to recover and become the same grump old englishman we all know and love =]. Thanks for everything mate, and tell tom he still owes me some tea and crumpets.

These are the people who made all of this possible. We all played before Nats and Worlds, this is all possible because of you guys.

I'd also like to give a very special shout out to Mike Farrington. For those of you who are unaware of who Mike is, he is a marine stationed over seas right now. He waited up all night while watching the updates on the OP site. When I won my final game he called me, from Iraq and 5am his time. This phone call right here, meant so much to me I can't put it into words.

Without each and everyone of them this would not be possible.

What I played wasn't "speedrill", it was a deck I used to get top 32 and US nationals and I have tweaked and perfected since then.

THE LIST, RayBees.dec:

3 Bebe's Search
4 Roseanne's Research
2 Cyrus's Conspiracy
1 TG's Invention Energy Gain
1 TG's Invention SP Radar
4 TG's Invention Poké Turn
2 Warp Point
4 Night Maintenance
2 Broken Time-Space
4 Rare Candy
1 Luxury Ball
2 Cynthia's Feelings

1 Lightning Energy
2 Multi Energy
3 Grass Energy

1 Chatot MD
1 Azelf L.55 LA
1 Crobat G PT
3 Claydol GE
2 Baltoy GE
2 Unown G GE
2 Beedrill RI
2 Beedrill GE
4 Kakuna RI
4 Weedle GE
1 Luxray GL
1 Luxray GL LV.X

The chatot was a last minute thing friday morning, I took out my 3rd BTS for it. Turned out to help immesnly and won me at least 3 games.

Round 1 vs Dialga Lock:
I opened up pretty solidly, he opened with aerodactyl sp. I went first and dropped 2 weedle, used CFF. for baltoy. He locked my active from evolving, but I just retreated and evolved my baltoy to claydol. I ended up getting 3 bees out on t3. Luxray GL gusting his bench hitters at will.

1-0

Round 2 vs Gengar Starmie:

I start out pretty lousy and he scored a t1 kill on my baltoy. I pretty much try to make a comback, but he hits a key fainting spell to seal my fate.

1-1

Round 3 vs Ape/Ray:

I get a good hand, and really pop off. On t2 I have 2 bees and claydol. I go to cyrus for a grass only to see that all 3 are prized. I search the whole game for a multi and only find one. He rolls the hell out of me.

1-2

Round 3 vs Straight Machamp:

A terrible matchup for him. Wasn't even really that close. I set a few Machamps up by doing 120 damage, and then dropping a crobat thus taking 3 prizes in one turn.

2-2

Round 4 vs Palkia/Mespirit:

This game was close, I killed 2 Palkia with my Luxray X, and we traded prizes other than that. In the end we are each at 1 prize. I win next turn. He plays lookers :eek: !!! I get 5 trash cards. now he wins next turn. I sit there in disguist as I'm about to be 1-3 at worlds. I think for about 30 seconds and look through his discard pile. He has already played 4 turns. I use flutter wins for a weedle, and use string shot against his Raichu GL.... HEADS!!!! He draws, thinks and just passes. I win next turn.

3-2

Round 5 vs Machamp/Palkia LvX(restructure)

this game was interesting. a little bit of my own medicine as far as gusting goes. He won the coinflip, but when the match started we both 'forgot' and thought I won the flip. A judge was called and then he got to go first. We traded prizes for a while, I was never able to use my luxray because he kept gusting and KOing it. Time was eventually called, and he had 3 prizes left to my 1. He did his attack and I grabbed my last prize with the judge watching and put it to the back of my hand. I never saw it. He starts going off in Brazilian(I think?) and the judge came over. We had a time extension that I forgot about :eek: . There was about a 20 minute delay and they determined that the judge saw my card to go my hand and that I NEVER saw the card. My turn starts and I use warp point ftw.

4-2.

Round 6 vs Flygon/Machamp(Darrell)

I had a pretty good hand, and he appeared to also. I open first with weedle, baltoy. I attach and use Call For Family to grab a weedle. He opened with Pachirisu and played a supporter and used call for family as well. I draw, play claydol and attach g to my active. He played Steroids(plus power) and KOd my active. He also got a claydol this turn. Next turn I use cynthia, get a luxury ball to candy my bench guy into a flutter wings, and get a band attack active. I drop SP radar to grab luxray and go 60 to his pachi. next turn He drops an energy on his trapinch and evolves it to Vibrava. I retreat to luxray, gust up vibrava and Crobat/band attack KO. Next turn I brought up his claydol and KOd it too. Things just went downhill from there.

5-2.

I find out that I came back from 1-2 to make cut as 26th seed!

Top 32 vs Dialga/Palkia/Luxray:

Game 1: my hand is pretty decent, and my luxray catches him off guard. At one point I have 1 energy on my Luxray and he promotes his active palkia and does 50, not expecting me to play energy gain. I cyrus, for energy gain and cyrus and grass energy. I attach, gain and flash impact his active.

Game 2: I make a huge blunder by allowing him to Bright Look my claydol and lost cyclone a beedrill away. 1-1

Game 3: I decide to not use claydol this game and just go with the standard 4 beedrill this game. THE BEST PLAY I'VE EVER MADE:

I need to flutter wings to basically win the game. I know that he has one power spray left and it's in his hand. I use roseanne for weedle and azelf. I "debate" putting the azelf down. I then ask "Flutter Wings?" he allows it. I get a band attack beedrill (I have 3 in play). Try to use Azelf and he power sprays. I smile so big and tell him "there wasn't a beedrill in there". I drop Crobat and double Poke'Turn to KO his active.
2-1

Top 16 Palkia Lock:

Game 1: Pretty much the same as t32. I get a big lead and luxray is awesome, he also made the same move with the energy gain blunder.

Game 2: I never really got anything going and scooped about 15 minutes in.

Game 3: He had a pretty bad hand, but made a huge misplay early. He roseannes for Uxie/Mespirit, he gets a premier ball but his lv x was prized. it was pretty bad and ultimately led to his bench being full and not being able to azelf for it.

Top 8, Gyarados:

Game 1: I get the first KO and win 6-5. Pretty terrible game as we just traded prizes all game.

Game 2: He gets the first kill as I have to mimic 3 times to get set up. we trade kills till it is 1-1 in prizes. He plays a super scoop from his hand for the win in game 2. TAILS! *whew*. He uses uxie to draw 2 cards. Super Scoop Up.... TAILS! He then uses cynthia for 8. I am watching the crowd as he is drawing all of his cards. the first 7 are blanks. Card #8.... Super Scoop Up.... TAILS!! He passes and I warp point ftw.

At this point, I can't believe I'm top 4. I get up and hug my dad and Jim Roll. I put my iPod back on and wait for top 4.

Top 4, Flygon:

Game 1: I get a huge lead by killing his claydol T3. He keeps repeatedly inviting trapping as my G is on my Claydol and the other is prized. He stalls long enough to get me to about 9 cards in deck, but night maintenance is too good vs deck mill.

Game 2: He gets a fast machamp vs my Chatot, but my mimic was good enough to make it worth while. I drop a BTS and get a claydol/band attack beedrill. I then use cynthia to get a flutter wings beedrill and a luxray basic. Next turn I start gusting prizes and he just can't keep up.

We had a 2 hour break before we could play finals. I was so nervous, but people still kept coming up to me and telling me they were sure I would win. It really made me nervous.

Top 2, Flygon:

This match went a lot like my Top 4.

Game 1: He said his hand was terrible, and me gusting his only Claydol didn't help the cause. We played it out and I think I won by 3-4 prizes.

Game 2: Again he said his hand wasn't stellar, but my deck decided to let him back into it. At one point I had all 4 rare candy in my hand. I had put 3 of them on the bottom with cosmic power. Here's the video of the final game:

The Video can be seen here

The celebration was amazing, closing ceremonies were beautiful. I'm sure i'll come back and add more to this as I start to become more conscious of what I just did.

I've tested so much with this deck. It's been tweaked, and tweaked, and tweaked. I wanted to play something that I was confident no one else in the tournament would be playing and in the end I guess I did :thumb:

Last edited:
Amazing. Just totally amazing. Super Congratulations on your 1st place win Mr. World Champion.

GJ Stephen!

Why 3 Claydol and 2 Baltoy?

I said it in another thread, but you are one of only a handful of players who have shown amazing consistency for so many years.

I've never seen a deck like that being committed so heavily towards one attack that you'll risk 3 grass energy and 2 multi energy total for the deck. quite an interesting feat there, not just winning worlds.

Well, you've earned it, and I guess that also means a trip to hawaii for next year!

One thing however, if you're going to post Dont Stop Believin, post the REAL song by journey, not this knockoff junk.

Last edited:
Congrats man you have totally made beedrill back on top lol sorda for some reason i thought all week that beedrill was gonna do something amazing at worlds lol now i know.Awesome report hope to read mor.^-^

R1 Joey vs Steven Silvestro (American) (beedrill)

I start with that stupid card known as Bronzong g. He started with a weedle. i knew i was in trouble without early deafen lock, but drew into aerodactyl. his face was priceless when he read what it does as it seemed no one knew what the card did. i managed to pull off a couple of early primal breath while stalling but i only drew into a roseanne for the entire game and got the dialga out way too late and was basicly beaten quite badly i did knock out 1 beedrill so at least i got a prize. oh well
0-1
Source: http://gametownsite.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=543

Some bit of more details from first round as I know this opponent. :)

GJ on your win...

Awesome performance Stephen. It's great knowing that the Worlds Championship was won by such an upstanding guy. I look forward to seeing you again man. Take care!

Steve, I'm in awe! Great job, and best of luck next year.

If Raybees is the name of your deck, then I will buy it.

Congratulations!

Nicely done Steve.

We had been following the action online and rooting for you and all the other Floridians.

It was awesome to see you keep going and going on and so ON your game.

Now I get to practice against the World Champion! :thumb:

Way to go!

Back