Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

a few questions about starting a League

Do you have to have 8 Players? (I am asking because right now we only know of 7 players that would be playing and only 5 of them can come ever time)

Do you buy kits from Pokemon USA or are they given out for free?

Do you have to hold a tourney every week or can you do it ever other week? (We hold Yu-Gi-Oh tourneys once a week but we been moving that to ever other week)

If you have to buy the kits from Pokemon USA how much do they cost?

Can you hold Unlimted Format Leagues or just Modifieds?

Do you have to own a store , hold them in a hobby store, or can you hold them in like a restraunt?

Can you Mixed a Normal Local Tourney with a League or do they have to be to diffirent tourneys

I had a lot more questions but I can not think right now

I asked these to Pokemon USA but I not got any emails from them telling me so I am asking here

(Sorry if this is not were this belongs)

Your questions seem more geared toward tournaments than League. League is for any amount of people. You may start out with 7 people but it'll grow. If you are approved, you can order a League kit based upon the number of Leaguers that attend. For your first order, you would give a guesstimate as to how many Leaguers will attend. A League kit has supplies for 10 Leaguers. It is free. You run League as often as you can. I feel a set time works best.

League and tournaments are 2 different things. You can hold a tourney during League time. But the League kit is for League only. You cannot use it for prize support for any tourney.

Most of your general League questions can be found in our League Guide http://pokegym.net/forums/view.php?pg=gleague

Just an Update

I just wanted to post an update we try for our area to get a league at the local Restraunt and they did not approve of it

Do you have to have 8 Players? (I am asking because right now we only know of 7 players that would be playing and only 5 of them can come ever time)

Leagues can be any amount of players. If you're speaking about tournaments, they can also be done with any amount of players, but things will have to be adjusted depending on the number of players and the format of the tournament, etc.

Do you buy kits from Pokemon USA or are they given out for free?

League kits are given out for free based upon how many players you have. You will never have to pay anything for league kits.

Do you have to hold a tourney every week or can you do it ever other week? (We hold Yu-Gi-Oh tourneys once a week but we been moving that to ever other week)

For league play, I've found that a set time and date works best. I hold my leagues from 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM on Sundays. You could do yours once a week, once a month, etc. It's up to you, however I would recommend there is a set time/date so a schedule can be formed.

As far as tournaments within leagues, there can be as many or as few as you like.

Can you hold Unlimted Format Leagues or just Modifieds?

Most leagues that I've participated in are unlimited, however it's up to the league owner/leader, and player base to decide.

Do you have to own a store , hold them in a hobby store, or can you hold them in like a restraunt?

You don't have to own a store, but it does take some participation on the stores part to approve the league and such. I've heard of leagues being run in pizza parlors and coffee shops and such, but most of them are in hobby/comic shops.

Can you Mixed a Normal Local Tourney with a League or do they have to be to diffirent tourneys

I'm not sure I understand the question. I think you're getting leagues and tournaments confused. Leagues are open play, for anyone to come, hang out, trade cards, and play as much or as little as they like. Tournaments are more structured, far more competitive events in which there is a schedule, some sort of ranking, and typically a prize or cash pool.

Good luck!

what i mean by mix the 2

Is can a tournament also be a league at the same time or no
like lets say i enter a tournament can it also go down as I enter a league at the same times
(I am not sure how to word it to what I am trying to say)
I know of a few T.O. that did this with other games and it was oked but I was not sure if it can be done also with Pokemon

Like in the past with Yugioh there were tournaments and Hobby League (Like a Pokemon League) the T.O would list both as the same so players who enter the tournaments could also get the prizes for the Hobby Leage (A card, Play Mat, a shirt, and a deck box)
in Yugioh if you enter 3 of the 4 Hobby League you got a card for enter so with the T.O. if you enter 3 out of the 4 Tournaments you got the card

I am not sure how to explane it any other why then that

what i mean by mix the 2

Is can a tournament also be a league at the same time or no
like lets say i enter a tournament can it also go down as I enter a league at the same times
(I am not sure how to word it to what I am trying to say)

Are you asking "Can a sanctioned tournament occur at the same time as a Pokémon League session?"

Neither a sanctioned tournament nor a Pokémon League session can occur at the same time. Sanctioned tournaments provide some level of competitive battling above a Pokémon League's casual play, and its battles are not applied to League points.

I've run several sanctioned tournaments during League time. Leaguers who wish do to League do League. Those wishing to enter the tournament enter the tournament. The two do not mix - points for tournament. A good time is had by all.

Thank you I will let my Players know that the 2 can not mixed we finaly got approved for a league

we were planing on holding a tournament this thursday but a lot of the players say they can not come so we might cansled it and hold just a league after all

I do have a questiing can you have a league and then a sanctioned tournament right after the league is over because I know of a few T.O, that do this so they can have both

again thank you for your help

Oh I had 1 more question does the league Owner have to have Leaders or can they run it them self

My mother is our League Owner and right now she does not want to pick any Leaders and do the entier League on her own

Are the world Champ Decks allowed in Leagues

I was told no but one of the league I went to is allowing them

Last edited:
Thank you I will let my Players know that the 2 can not mixed we finaly got approved for a league

Actually, this is false. I've run a league while running a tournament (and while a premier tournament was happening), it's totally possible. The players can choose what they want to play in, or do league in-between rounds, etc. It's definitely doable.

does the league Owner have to have Leaders or can they run it them self

The league owners can choose to operate their league alone, yes.

Are the world Champ Decks allowed in Leagues

Generally, league play (because it's supposed to be casual, hobby play) is open to all cards. I allow unlimited cards, as well as World Champion decks at my league. It's really up to the players and league owner/leaders, etc.

Back