Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A long detailed 2nd place Worlds experience

Pidgeotto Trainer

You’ve been warned. :wink:

Well this was certainly a memorable weekend for me as I’m sure most of you know by now.
I’ll start with how I got around to my deck. Sometime in June I saw a Exeggutor/Electrode ex deck on neo by Hot Mustid. Anyways I started testing Exeggutor/Electrode ex with Hot Mustid’s list about the weekend of nationals ( I wasn’t at nats) and messed around a lot with the list. I continued to test it through July and got other Electrode ex ideas including Electrode/Steelix SS seeing that I could Pow up to stall and spin tail a lot. Those 2 decks ideas, Spin tail and ohko I continued with and made Gorebyss/Electrode and Tyranitar/Electrode, the 2 decks I brought to worlds. I tested just about every day thru July and August with Lackey since I have a mac.
I pretty much only tested with myself since everyone I know has Apprentice not Lackey. I recorded each game on a word document. I came to worlds with Tyranitar/Electrode as my #1 option as it’s the most versatile against a random field. It can ohko, it can spin tail, it has so many options. It was only slightly losing to t2 but had an edge on everything else. I really liked the 1-1 Cargo, 1-1-1 Pidgeot as it was very space friendly and more than not was an advantage over my opponent. A key card to the consistancy of my deck was adding Jirachi dx about a week before worlds. I already posted my list here: http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23302&page=1&pp=25
I packed a lot Monday. I spend most of the day updating my binder which had a lot to update since the TRR pre-release. I keep thinking of all these random cards I might need so I’m up to 8 am packing while I talk a bit to Levi (Monkeyman) on aim. Among many other cards, I find my 3 japanese packs from last year’s worlds, I Forgot I had gotten an Electrode ex! I joke with Levi that it’s fate lol.
I arrive tuesday after having to go thru Phoenix and 100 degree weather first =/. Wednesday my mom and I go see UC-San Diego and the BIRCH aquarium. I had seen late monday night Irwin-Malek posting there would be a 7PM tournament wednesday night in the lobby. There of course was no room in the lobby so I go running around the whole hotel area for about a half hour looking for pokemon players. I dodged thru the convention center where the pokemon stuff was getting ready and where they were having the tiny train convention.
I go back to my room and call some of the other Seattle players who arrived Tuesday but they aren’t in. I go to the lobby again and there’s Irwin-Malek, SuperTyranitar and his dad (forgot his screenname). We get joined by another English player and someone else after waiting nearly an hour in the lobby. We finally go find some tables at the back of a closed deli. In less than an hour, our party of 6 had turned into 25-30 people. We all get kicked out at 10:30, by the cops no less. :wink:
Afterwards, I go with levi and some others to Freddy K’s room. I talk with freddy about Electrode/Gorebyss vs ZRE which was a deck he had and play 1 game before I leave.
Thursday I play pretty much the whole day, almost everyone who wasn’t here came Thursday. Through Wednesday and Thursday Electrode/Tyranitar had been 15-3 against competitive decks so I was quite happy. That record of course did not count a loss to my friend Wes (Gengar)’s Monarchy as that wasn’t a competitive deck. :wink: I also try to tally on a little notebook how many of each popular deck I see while walking around. I tallied over 100 decks. T2, Ludi, Rock-Lock, Metagross, and Slowking were all pretty even along with seeing 30% of the field was rogue. This was favoring Electrode/Tyranitar, my only deck that had no real auto-losses and only very slightly losing to t2.
Friday I don’t test as much but the big story I hear about 1 PM probably is that all the Japanese are playing ZRE. This really worries me as I don’t know my ZRE matchup too well. ZRE is one of those decks that when everything works it’s unbeatable and if the Japanese would all run it they must find it unbeatable a high amount of the time. Matt (ArticJedi), I and others speculate on how to find out about how the Japanese list looks and who has a ZRE to test against. After I register and play a couple games with Sebastian (GrandmaJoner) I wait to see the beginning of the grinder. I had hoped to see some Japanese playing and see what the ZRE list was like. No Japanese were in the grinder.
After I get some dinner I find Freddy K, Levi and others in the free play ‘tent’. Freddy K somehow gained a list that was supposed to be what they were all playing. From what I heard then it sounded like this information was confirmed. People start copying the list for themselves and building the deck. Expecting this, I had gone and gotten my stack of over 120 random commons left over from sorting my binder that week. Using a sharpie, I proxied 2 of the Japanese ZRE lists for myself and others to test. We tested ZRE for a few hours, the results were odd.
Dark Slowking which seemed like an auto-loss was being beaten with 4 admin. Medicham was beating ZRE I found out later on ZRE’s inconsistancy which we all noticed. I got 3 games in vs the ZRE and barely won each of them but it was so close that it worried me. I was feeling like the Japanese would outplay us again with this deck. It was a frustrating night, at some point I jokingly slammed my hand down and said, “that’s it, I’m playing Yugioh.” :lol:

At about 10:30 Freddy K and Matt were going to go to Levi’s room to test more and invited me. I was going to follow them but was also waiting for Gordon (SlimeyGrimey) and Jeremy (11) (Ancient Pokemon Trainer) to follow me and when I turned back to Matt and Freddy I had lost them. Gordon, Jeremy and I run into the nearest building’s lobby area but don’t find them. We stand around for about 10 minutes, pick up hitchhiker Mike Ch. (11-14) of Oregon and go up to Gordon’s room to try to find Levi’s room by phone. After waiting like 20 minutes and making 6-7 calls we find out they’re in Stuart’s room. It’s now past 11 the night before worlds and our group of 4 was still wandering about. We get in the elevator and about 7 kids get out. We go in to find that every button has been pushed =/. We go down one floor and get off to find the stairs. The stairs smelled like a restroom =/. This was not the most expected way to spend the night before worlds.
We instead see Matt in the tent area and head there. We hear Stuart’s room is being half-exclusive, half-full for testing so we just stay in the tent area. We create a meeting of randomly assembled Northwest players and SlimeyGrimey to break the format starting at 11:30 the night before worlds. We have Me, Matt, Gordon, Mike Ch., Greg who grindered out from Seattle and Lucas who grindered out from Seattle. Honestly it wasn’t a big name committee at all but we get some crazy ideas going.
Thinking about ZRE and T2 we think of Ninetales, and then we think of Dewgong as it would ohko the Magmar in ZRE. But wait, Dewgong only does 10 to Ray ex, too slow. Greg keeps suggesting Ninjask DX for ZRE but it doesn’t stop Electrode ex. Somehow we get on Jumpluff which seems like it has a lot of potential. It beats Slowking, ZRE and Ludi but what about the other decks? We spend a few minutes figuring out the Jumpluff errata so Pure Power ko’s it as well. We then start thinking Sharpedo ex with pluff as it seems pretty good in the metagame and fits the whole free retreat thing. As we continue to try to break Jumpluff, Matt basically says forget this let’s just play what we were going to play. He gets the cards for Cham, I get the last ones I need for my deck, Gordon decides on Rock-Lock. We all leave at about 1:20 AM. :rolleyes:
I also gave Matt Yuen that ZRE list we had late that night and he played it the next day to go 7-1! Magnechu also played that list in 11-14 and went 8-0 but both of them lost in t32. Of course we find out the next day only a small percent of the Japanese were playing ZRE and the one I saw was a completely different list.
I fall asleep at 2 and wake up at 6, unable to get back to sleep. At 6:56 AM I break the format with Machamp/Jumpluff lol. Too late to have 2nd thoughts now.
With my 4 hours of sleep I head down and de-sleeve my deck on a table outside the convention center and sleeve with summer blue sleeves that were mostly new and a few from my MLB Showdown deck. I had actually gotten the sleeves from my old league the Northgate Mall Wizards of the Coast when they were in their closing sale.
We all wait around for a long time in the tournament area. I talk with Matt and some others and sit with Gordon as we hear about the # of rounds and GL Phil’s birthday seranades.
Finally we get seated but then wait an extra half hour it seems because of the 30 extra people. The first pairings have me against Jeff from my league. We test the dice and combined to get 14 straight tails. I get 3 straight tails with all 5 of my coins as well so I just go back to the dice. The pairings don’t change but at least we can start.

Round 1 vs. Jeff Canfield (Dark Slowking)
We know each other from league but it’s apparent he is going to play Slowking to its strongest, as in taking a very long time. Honestly Jeff was better at playing slowly with Slowking than anyone I had ever seen. I was amazed at the subtleties Jeff took like taking a card out of his hand, scratching it on the table a few times and putting it back in his hand. This was how Slowking was supposed to be played. I did not have a good start, I could not get Pidgeot out and Magcargo was getting neutralized usually. I call over a judge at about 17-18 minutes left as the pace of the game was starting to get ridiculous. Jeff does go faster and even then the judge tells him he is going a bit too long. I am struggling to get energy but I have quite a few on Tyranitar.
He is up 6-3 and decides twice not to ko my active Voltorb. Time is running out and I don’t have the energy to retreat and ko so I play Electrode ex and make myself down 6-1 with less than 10 minutes left. I ohko the active Slowking and Smooth Over for an admin. He points to Buffer Piece though and I had already taken a prize!!
The judge stops play for a second but I quickly read Buffer Piece and as I thought it gets discarded the turn after you play it. 2 turns had passed so I was okay. He puts up a Slowking with 2 nrg, he also has one other slowpoke with no nrg on the bench. He hits me for 90 with the darkness, shard and 2 tools and I had 10 dmg from rainbow so I’m at 100 dmg. Perhaps because he didn’t want to take too long with the judge there or just out of luck, he forgot to cunning the admin.
I admin him to one and ko the active slowking. He gets an nrg for Slowpoke but sees he can’t amnesia to stall as I can ko with Grind or Bite Off and concedes with 3 minutes left. Jeff and I shake hands and understand that we both had to play the game regardless of who our opponent was. He had to try to use up time and I had to call a judge on it. There was no hard feeling afterwards.
1-0
I enjoy my couple minutes after the win which was great after starting 0-2 at worlds 02 and 0-3 at worlds 04. Before I know it the next round is beginning.
Round 2 vs. Bin Xiu (Rock-Lock)
I find out Bin was one of the few who had grindered in the night before and that he was from Arizona. I have a decision to make on the first turn of the game. I start with Jirachi and have celio, swoop and 4 energy and go 2nd. I decide to celio for t2 sparce since my hand is so bad I don’t want to discard Jirachi. Once I sparce on t2 I realize I got a bunch of nrg in hand so I just get Magmar and don’t even use Jirachi again. I should’ve just swooped into t1 sparce. We’re both getting built kind of slowly, it’s hard to tell when he’s gonna be ready to attack. A few turns in I finally have both Pidgeotto and Dark Pupitar (obviously trying to avoid using Candies vs rock-lock.)
However on his turn he is ready and rock tms with sand dmg tyranitar and Amphy in play. If I evolve again he just needs another Rock and he ko’s the Pidgeotto and Pupitar and I’m pretty much done. The only move I see is the following, I play Electrode and Extra Energy Bomb. I pow the nrg off sand ttar and pow up a Jirachi. I then Clutch Jirachi with Pidgeotto basically making him get switch (if he even plays it) and rock tm and if he wants more ko’s he’ll need an nrg for sand ttar. Well my prediction is mostly wrong, he wishing stars, quick searches and actually plays a switch. (Briney is more typical)
He then puts up the pupitar with 2 nrg, evolves to spin tail ttar, attaches an nrg and spin tails getting three prizes, more than I expected putting him at 1. Next turn I just try to sudden flash, I think I got tails but I expect he had Heal energy anyways. I have to think if that one turn advantage I could’ve had swooping to sparce t1 would’ve been the one extra turn I needed before he rock locked me.
1-1
We go to lunch break now, things feel pretty so-so at 1-1 but I still have a good chance unlike last year’s lunch break where I was 0-3 lol.
Round 3 vs. Tom Dolezal-Tank Engine (Ludicargo)
I knew he placed 2nd at nats with Ludicargo so thats what I was expecting and I was right. My setup is not great but good enough. I think Pidgeot may have been prized. He was getting absolutely nothing though, no supporters, evolutions or anything. He even resorted to Slugma Collecting. Seeing I had some time I Smoothed Over for specific cards that I need to ensure I get the combo (Electrode enough nrg on to tyranitar to ohko stuff) out rather than looking for draw which I would do if I might be outsped in setup. He continues to get absolutely nothing though, I felt bad for him. I easily ohko thru everything.
2-1
Right as my game is ending my stomach really starts hurting. I probably had too much to eat at lunch. I run to the restroom and get back with a few minutes before my next game but my stomach still hurts a lot. It was like that for the next few rounds. Once I start playing though, my focus takes my mind off the pain.
Round 4 vs. Marco ? from Finland (I think) (Dark Slowking)
Well for the first or maybe 2nd time ever with this deck, both part of the Magcargo and Pidgeot lines are prized. This is a good matchup though and he has a terribly slow start but I do as well. We go about 4 turns in, he has an 8 card hand to my 4 but he still hasn’t gotten Slowking and hasn’t had an nrg every turn. I don’t have search and I should win a game where we both get setup so I admin. He thanks me. :rolleyes He gets rolling a bit faster than me, he gets 2 ko’s before I play 3 pows to load all his energy onto 1 slowking on his bench and copycat. Next turn I’ll have enough to Extra Energy Bomb and get enough nrg for Tyranitar to ohko. He attaches and retreats the lone Slowking for the one with 4 nrg now and ko’s something. I use Electrode to load ttar and ohko making it 5-1 in his favor.
He sends up Jirachi and attaches to a benched slowking and benches another Slowpoke which is a mistake. As soon as I see the 4th pokemon drop I decide to spin tail for 4 prizes which will be just as fast as ohkoing for 4 prizes. (I’m more worried about getting 4 before time than getting 5 overall.) I spin tail with 2 darks attached. There’s about 7 minutes left. He’s taking a bit too long on some decisions now. I reluctantly call over a judge for the 2nd time today to watch for timely play, I believe it was Chrisbo. This guy was not trying to stall but he was taking a little too much time on a couple decisions and that was going to cost me the game. After 2 spin tails and I ko Jirachi he sends up the Slowpoke and then attaches a 2nd nrg to the benched slowking. I simply draw and spin tail right away.
He is now up 3-1 with 2 Slowking with 60 dmg each, one with 2 nrg, one with 0 nrg. He takes a bit of time deciding which to send up and the judge asks him to decide. I’m not facing the clock but know by my watch there is about a minute left. He then concedes showing me a hand full of tools, no other basics or anything. He said he didn’t want to win on time. Once again I barely beat the clock in a 6-1 comeback vs slowking. Chrisbo tells me after the game Marco’s plays were borderline but it was a nice thing for him not to try to win on time and I feel the same way.
3-1
Between rounds 3 and 4 and rounds 4 and 5 I was still in a lot of pain and was also really tired. I just slouch in a chair between rounds. I get an adrenaline rush before each game though. I often play similarly in chess league matches I have after school when I’m really tired. I’ll often rest right in the middle of the game on my opponents turn, even having my head on the table. Then, once I hit the last 30 minutes I’m wide awake. It was like this for me in these middle rounds, except the resting was between games.

Round 5 vs. Japanese player (I thought I wrote down the name?? He didn’t t32) (Rock-Lock)
After getting so-so starts through 4 rounds I finally get an awesome start. My first legitimate t1 Sparce with energy, t2 Magcargo, t3 Pidgeot thru Pidgeotto and t3 or t4 Tyranitar thru Pupitar. With all my early searches I get magmar going and get darks and scrambles in the discard quickly. He isn’t getting much but right before I’m ready to attack he gets Dark Pupitar up and gets heads on explosive evolution and gets Sand ttar.
My setup is way ahead though. He put Rocket’s Hideout in play but still I get Dark, Dark, Dark, Scramble, Scramble, Heal on Spin Tail ttar for 140 dmg. He didn’t have any other nrg on larvitars so no threat of another sand and dre for ohko. He had ko’d something with the bench damage, probably a sparce or something, I remember he had 3 prizes left. I proceed to Pow+ohko another Sand Ttar and a Pidgeot (forget the order.) He is left with nothing. I’m up 1-3 when he puts up his last pokemon D Amphy and does 70. To top off the win, without scrambles activated, I do 140 damage with grind with 10 energy cards attached. :biggrin: I remember this opponent in particular kept talking to himself in Japanese, angry with himself/ the game.
4-1

I still feel horrible between games but somehow I’m winning as I’m hearing all my other friends struggling with 3-2s and 2-3s. Before the game Nick Caporelli (Hot Mustid) who I’d talked to several times during the week says he’s also 4-1 and predicts we’ll face each other. Sure enough:

Round 6 vs. Nick Caporelli-Hot Mustid =-->]-[0t (V)uSt|d<--= (Medicham-Pow)
Medicham I had tested a lot during the summer, I thought it was about 45-55 not in my favor. Those Medichams played Reversal not Pow though, and Pow won’t be nearly as effective against my deck than others. By the end of the whole worlds week I ended up 3-2 vs pow cham including practice. Anyways, my game vs Cham is always a race to get my combo so I can ohko cham and not have them ohko it back. I’m getting my copycats and admins which is what I need vs cham. He is Pure Powering around but decides that his best strategy is to get enough ko’s that I can’t use Electrode. He gets a couple ko’s that I think he could’ve left for later and given me less control with my pows.
I get Electrode in play and get a large copycat. He has played Team Aqua Hideout, so I pow his cham to the bench for an energy-less jirachi, (he knew I could pull out a ohko out of nowhere with my deck so he had benched something.) I play Pidgey, Candy, Pidgeot and gain search. The sequence of events in this game is quite fuzzy for me unfortunately. He gets stuck behind that Jirachi and I don’t remember if I use Electrode or not but I pow and ko his only cham. Having Pidgeot was a huge help. Now stuck with basics and a small hand he can’t even get an energy off of Wishing Star. He takes a really long time on that Wishing Star, telling me he has nothing. I try to kindly say he’s taking long enough and he assures me he won’t stall me out since we had met and all that and I believe him. Still I keep my eye on the clock. He does get nothing though and I keep spin tailing and pick up all my prizes. Fortunately Nick made t32 as well but had some bad luck vs a rock-lock. Nice meeting you Nick, you were pretty much the only person I couldn’t find to sign a card later. :frown:
5-1

I’m feeling a bit better now, still tired etc. but now just needing to go 1-1 to make t32 is making t32 really seem like a reality.
Round 7 vs. Brent Siebenkittel-Spazcrackers (Ludicargo Lanturn/Articuno)
Early on this game looks easy. He loads a full bench including 2 slugma and a Chinchou. He isn’t using Rain Dish Lotads and Lombres either. He even discards a Switch off a TV Reporter. How am I not gonna win this easily with Powing Magcargo and Spin Tail? Well first he plays Battle Frontier, thats alright I got Magcargo in play and a great setup. He ko’s something with Ludi so I don’t even need to use Electrode. I Pow up Magcargo and Spinning Tail with a Scramble. He plays Articuno Ex?!?! Well that certainly works to get Cargo out of active and that attack discards my scramble. Fortunately, I have another in my hand. I still have tons of ko’s waiting so I pow up Cargo again and spin tail again.
Now he plays Briney, how many switchers does he have? He ko’s me with Ludicolo. I’m not ready with another Tyranitar + Scramble so I send up Pidgeot which will make him need a Strength Charm to ko which there’s a good chance he won’t have since he already has shown to have a ton of tech and Lanturn. He has Charm of course and goes up 6-3, I spin tail again picking up 2 ko’s of a Chinchou and a Dunsparce. With Rock TM I can ko a ludi, and a Magcargo next turn. (I have forgotten something in this game, but somehow I have Dark Tyranitar with no dmg, with scramble and Darkness using Rock Tm to make it 2-3.) I choose Rock TM over Spinning Tail as I also discard the dre he played on a new lanturn which was a mistake. I have the perfect plan now up 2-3, I will evolve to Electrode, Extra Energy Bomb to go down 1-2 and pow up and ko an Articuno for the win. He sees it too and plays Warp Point, all I have is Magcargo and Voltorb so he’ll get a ko and ruin that strategy. I put up the voltorb and he plays ANOTHER Articuno Ex!!? to ko it. Thats 2 Articuno, Switch, Warp Point, and Briney! 5 switches all besides Charm and 2-2 Lanturn. Unbelievable.
There’s not much time left, if he goes ahead my scrambles activate again and I will Pow Articuno for the win but with 2 minutes left he won’t ko until time runs out. I bench another voltorb and play Rainbow on it. I do 40 with ttar to Articuno. He had attached a basic nrg last turn to that Lanturn. Now he retreats the Articuno for Lanturn and attaches DRE to do 80 to tyranitar. There’s about a minute left, no way he’ll give me another turn after he ko’s Tyranitar so I take my time thinking and time is called. I take a good long time looking for a play, he’s only used 3 DRE, he has Ludi and Cargo out so I know he can fetch the 4th. 80 will ko anything I can get out even Electrode that I can evolve to since I attached Rainbow. I can do 70 with trode but not 80 as I need to discard both nrg to tyranitar to retreat. Then I see the Heal energy in my hand and realize I can make Electrode ex have 90 HP and out of Lanturn’s range. I retreat and do 30, I’ll be able to ko anything by doing 90 next turn. (This was the only game I attacked with Electrode the whole tournament I believe.)
He says out loud I hope it’s not prized. He ludicargo searches but then uses Prof. Oak’s Research which I ALMOST shuffle my hand in for thinking it’s admin. The judges and Brent stop me though. He can only do 80 with another Dre and I attack with Electrode again for the win. He told me his Rock Tm which would’ve won him the game was prized. When you have 2 Articuno, Switch, Warp Point, Briney, Charm, 2-2 Lanturn, a partridge in a pear tree AND a Rock Tm something better be prized :wink: . He then blames himself for not letting me shuffle in my hand for the loss but Heidi Craig I think it was says I probably would just not get my hand back so I would’ve won anyways. Hey, I’m in Top 32!!!11 Brent made top 32 as well.
6-1

Making top 32 off-sets my stomach enough that I feel better. Thinking top 32 could still be held today, I ask Matt (articjedi) to use his phone to call my dad to see if I can get some medicine. Matt also asks the judges for some medicine without me asking him. Thanks a lot Matt, you didn’t have to do that for me especially since you had a make or break game coming up round 8. Of course I’m not worried about my next match. Turns out I’m facing Matt Moss. Moss is probably the funniest person I met at worlds. He starts talking about how he should concede to screw up Ness’ and Chuck’s resistance lol. Anyways we play.
Round 8 vs. Matt Moss-Moss Factor (Medicham-Pow)
Since the game doesn’t mean that much, the first few turns are just him going, “what the heck is this deck?? I’m so confused.” I can’t draw anything though so it really doesn’t matter. I go turns and turns of top decks without supporters. He’s just building up Pure Power damage. I also make him waste more energy attachments with Sudden Flash and him using Island Cave. Normally my huge supporter drought would be way too long to have any chance but when I top deck a copycat there’s a little hope. I have a tyranitar with 100 damage in play and am down 6-3. He has an active Medicham with 4 nrg and a benched one with 2.
I play a pow to gust for the other medicham. Assuming he has an nrg in his 14 card hand my only shot is play pow gust, pow away nrg, pow away nrg, pow gust and he’ll just have a cham with no nrg. If I had more than 30 hp left I would just need 3 pows as he couldn’t be able to ko with pure power, he’d need sky kick. I also need Electrode ex to get the nrg to ohko cham. I copycat for 14, get Electrode but only 2 of the other 3 pow. I think I use them both to just make his active cham have no nrg but don’t energy bomb and ko as that will lose right away unless he didn’t have an nrg in that 14 card hand. He does and retreats and ko’s the Tyranitar. I lose a couple turns later, just a bit more hp on tyranitar left and maybe I could win which would’ve been amazing considering my supporter drought. Didn’t matter anyways.
6-2
I was at table 2 and watched some of the table 1 game between the last 2 undefeateds, Go Miyamoto and my friend Matt Yuen (Trekiev.) I gave Matt the phantom Japanese zre list at about 12:30 the night before and he played it up to table 1! Go was playing a zre that looked absolutely nothing like the list we had. He had reversals for one thing and tech Ninetales HL for mirror and Medicham. I wish I had seen more of it. Go won, I don’t see how he could lose with such good mirror tech.
I am very pleased to hear top 32 is being moved to Sunday when I might actually get some sleep lol. Everyone is then waiting for the final standings, I know at least Sebastian (GrandmaJoner) and Paul from Seattle (Hoennash) are 5-3 and hoping but neither makes it. Most 5-3’s did not.
I immediately find my pairing, I am 11th seed which means I’m playing 22nd seed Steve Perucca. As the top 32 players get in line to turn in their decks I start asking people if they know Steve Perucca’s deck. (I soon realize this must be SteveP on gym.) Moss tells me it’s a ZRE and that he had seen him play Ness earlier. I ask a few others but that was the best info I got that night. I also realize that night I’m the only 15+ Northwest player left, the only other Washingtonian left besides me is Stuart in 11-14.
I went back to my room and thought extensively about ZRE vs my deck. I had barely won all 3 of my games vs the phantom Japanese list but they were really close. Many weird situations can happen with Electrode vs Electrode. Anyways I go to bed and get 7-8 hours of sleep.
I woke up the next morning feeling much better compared to Saturday. I go down to the convention center and everyone is waiting outside the tournament area. I remember Moss had said Ness had played SteveP so I asked him about it. After Ness asked Moss if he should tell me I find out that SteveP’s list is very, very different than a typical ZRE like the one from the phantom japanese list we were testing on friday.
Steve doesn’t use Magmar, he uses recharge Voltorb and Electrike. He has Manectric ex (watch the no trainers attack), dx manectric, Electrode ex, Zappy and DX Rayquaza ex. 3 Frontier 1 Space Center was important to find out, I just won’t even go for pidgeot. I remembered some of the posts SteveP had made on gym talking about Zapdos decks more specifically against Medicham and using Electrode to bring all that energy back after a Zapdos had fallen or had been er2’d to death. I realize he must not play like normal zre where you try to trode right away but he must play it like zappy and not trode until one Zappy falls. This seemed obvious after thinking about no magmar and those arguments on gym.
I sit down and realize I had seen SteveP a couple times during the week, but didn’t know who he was until now.
Top 32 vs. Steve Perucca-SteveP (Zapdos/Rayquaza/Electrode/ex/Manectric/ex)
I reached my limit of characters for a post, thats a first. :cool:

5783 words so far, Ross. You're already at 5th place on the all-time tournament report length list and you're not even finish. 4th is 5920. GO FOR IT.

;/

Now for the rest of the story. :cool:
Top 32 vs. Steve Perucca-SteveP (Zapdos/Rayquaza/Electrode/ex/Manectric/ex)

Game 1
I’ve got a bad start and he opens with Electrike and recharge. I’m expecting t2 Zapdos but I get t2 Manectric ex and he uses Disconnect to stop my non supporter trainers. He keeps using that attack which gives me time as he can only 2 hit ko my Sparce, Jirachi, Magmar etc. After the first or 2nd Disconnect I copycat or Admin into a hand of 5-6 with something like Pow, Swoop, Retriever, Candy, how useful. :rolleyes:
I have Magcargo and decide to smooth over specific cards as opposed to supporters during this long stretch of trainer shutdown. I try to put myself with an option for whatever he might use mega shot on as I will have many with my one turn of trainers. I think he finally mega shots my Dark Pupitar after I evolved into it, he was smart knowing I could never candy the larvitar and didn’t mega shot earlier which I expected. Once he Mega Shotted I retrievered a Larvitar to the bench, candied it to tyranitar, swooped something else to a larvitar, Pow’d Manectrics one energy away to a Voltorb then got Jirachi active and Smooth Over+ Wishing Star to get a copycat for 10. (I had one card left before the cc) I candy another Ttar I think and attach Scramble to one of them and pass. He attaches an energy to Manectric ex?, can’t remember exactly.
Anyways it might’ve been the turn of the 10 card cc or the next I get tyranitar active with just a scramble and spin tail seeing 3 40 hp Voltorbs on the bench. In a move I completely did not see coming, he evolves the Voltorb I had pow’d an energy to to Electrode HL. That wasn’t in the scouting report :rolleyes. He comes up and uses the double ko attack to make his lead 2-5. I send up Tyranitar with no nrg, he sends up the Manectric ex?? Can’t remember. I had smoothed over a scramble I believe so I attach it and Admin. I spin tail and get a prize or 2 off the voltorbs. I think he super scooped one so maybe it was one prize. He gets absolutely nothing off the 2 card admin with no search to back it up. I get more nrg on ttar and some pows to take board control. I spin tail a bit more and at the right time I pow up his Manectric ex and ko it once I have enough nrg for Bite Off. When I get up 1-2 I worry about Pow on my Magcargo which I didn’t see til I had already attached an nrg but he didn’t have it anyways. This turned out to be my closest game to a loss all day until the finals. Steve comments on my good comeback and we start game 2 with only about 25 minutes left. Heidi Craig had told me a couple times during the game that I was going too` slow even when it looked like I was gonna lose so now I really gotta play fast.
1-0
Game 2
I’m worried about t2 Manectric ex again but he goes with t2 Zapdos. Whether thats just what he had in hand or was worried about time I don’t know. I have a much better setup this game though, I get Magcargo quickly and keep having supporters to keep me moving. Zapdos ko’s 2 pokemon before I’m ready with Electrode, Extra Energy Bomb, 5 nrg with Scramble and Tyranitar for the ohko of Zappy. He doesn’t get much going after that and I control the field with pows and spin tails. He gets no real threat to Tyranitar and I win with still 10-15 minutes left. I survive the very weird zre and ensure at least top 16, better than anyone in Washington did last year.
2-0 (8-2)
Before the next round begins I talk to one of Moss’ friends about my next opponents deck. I knew it was Dark Steelix and he beat Moss’ Medicham right next to me. I find out he runs the t2 Dark Steelix variant, jirachi, tons of life herbs and potions and stuff, I also find out he has R energy, 2 Rock tms and his gym is tricky gym. Dark Steelix should be a near auto win matchup, I don’t see how it can beat anything that can ohko it like I can. For a few minutes my next opponent Adam sits down next to me and we talk for a few seconds. We exchange screen names, he’s Spartan104. I sensed he realized the matchup would be an uphill battle for him. We get moved to the special top 16 area where there is finally clocks on both sides.
Top 16 vs. Adam Joseph Maldonado-Spartan104 (Dark Steelix)
Game 1
The first game starts out shaky before we even start, first he accidentally draws 8 cards, the judge just issues a caution or a warning and he draws a new hand. Then he mulligans I think 3 times. All of this gives me a really great start. I get Magcargo, Pidgeot thru Pidgeotto (since I knew the Rock tm) and Tyranitar thru Pupitar very quickly. He has a slow start, didn’t get Steelix til turn 3-4. He didn’t get any ko’s before I have the energy I need and ohko the Steelix with Tyranitar and Electrode’s energy. I pick off another Steelix with Pow and the game ends soon after.
1-0
Game 2
He gets Steelix fairly soon this time but nothing fancy. I find out later he had 4 Onix and got a jirachi on the mulligan card, ouch. He goes right away for Tricky Gym Feint Attacking the Tyranitar. He also tries building 2 Steelix knowing my ohko is inevitable. He gets 2 Feint Attacks on Tyranitar before I get the combo and ohko. He sends up Steelix with Fighting, Metal and benches an Onix with F 10. I wasn’t expecting the R energy he then played but he was still 10 hp short. I see he will ko me with the onix though even with Heal energy so I start building a 2nd Tyranitar and ohko the Steelix.
He evolves to D Steelix and uses Feint Attack for the ko, he has no bench. I think for a bit on my next move and decide since I’m down 3-4 to just do 100 with Magcargo+Scramble. On his turn he gets heads on life herb and uses potion but looks like he is out of healing at about a 3 card hand. I think the games over when now he rock tms and this time, for speed my Pidgeot was candied and I lose the Scramble on Magcargo. Last turn though, in a situation where I really didn’t know what to Smooth Over for, I had happened to Smooth Over another Scramble so I just evolve back and do 100 for the game. I tell Adam good game and that he just ran into an unfair matchup.
2-0 (10-2)
I was probably supposed to leave the play area soon after my game but when I ask BDS if I hand him my deck after I shuffle he says he doesn’t care what I do as long as I give him the deck before I leave the tournament area. Soooo I shuffle for the last 25 minutes of the round as I watch Freddy K’s and Yamato’s Ludi battle. (winner is my next opponent) I already know a lot of Freddy’s list but I’m sitting on Yamato’s side so I get to see quite a bit of his deck. I notice he doesn’t use Rain Dish Lotads or Lombres which is quite helpful to me, I see at least 2 admins in his hand most of the game and a lot of standard tech like a charm, a shard, a retriever etc. The ludi mirror match is intense and I watch Freddy try to hold onto his lead for dear life with time running out but Yamato makes the right play with Charm to tie it just as time runs out and Admins Freddy which won him the game. It’s lunch break now.
I start asking people about Yamato’s list. I want to know every little tech card he has so I can play accordingly. I think it was Dark Sneasel who knew a lot about his list and also Freddy of course. From both of them, I write down everything known about the list. I figure there are many people who would like to know what Yamato had in his list anyways so here’s what I found out from those notes and my own games.
No swoop, no reversal, no jirachi, no rock tm. 2 Retriever, 1-2 Briney, 1 charm, 1 shard, 1 wobbuffet, 1 warp point ( didn’t know this til my game but he just used it as tvr discard game 2), Rare Candies, 2-4 admin and other standard draw (celio, steven, tvr at least, don’t think cc) His only gym was Ancient Tomb but I don’t know the quantity of it. He had 4 dre I’m almost sure, some heal, some psychic, water of course and 0-1 Scramble. Seems odd not to play 1 but his game vs freddy would’ve been the perfect time to use it so idk. Otherwise it was just Ludi, Cargo and sparce. Collect Slugma, Surprise Lotad, and the 70 hp Lombre with the poke-body. No heal dance ludi, just swing dance.
After getting the notes, I go back to my room for a really light lunch because of my stomach the day before. This was probably the most nervous I was all weekend, I felt like I was getting a fever so I took some medicine though it might’ve been just nerves. I wouldn’t be so nervous playing Freddy as he’s one of my friends and I wouldn’t mind losing to him (though I should beat his ludi easily, pretty much no tech against me and a ninetales line wasting space in the matchup.) I also have a really good matchup against Yamato and thats what makes me even more nervous.
I felt like I might be the best chance for the US players to take down Yamato this year. I could be the last bad matchup standing in his way for a repeat. I and mostly everyone else didn’t want to see the pokegym/western world of pokemon all lose to the small group from Japan and the same guy two years in a row. I didn’t want to be our last chance to get the trophy back to the US and fail with a matchup advantage. So after having very little cereal I go back to the tournament area, still nervous but not like shaking or anything. We take the top 8 picture and then take our seats. Like I had been all weekend, as soon as the game starts my nerves go away as I start to focus in.
Top 8 vs. Tsugoyoshi Yamato (Ludicargo)
Game 1
I get a good setup getting Pidgeot and Magcargo fairly quickly while his setup is nothing special. He sets up 5 pokemon including 2 Slugma which is a mistake against my deck and means for me to get spin tailling right away. I do so about turn 4-5 ish by using Electrode’s power since he hadn’t taken a prize yet. I pow up Slugma and spin tail. I was under the impression his list had 2 briney, but for one reason or another all he was able to do (after supporter) was attach to Slugma and collect. (Helps that his list had no swoop here.) I spin tail again. He attaches a 2nd energy and retreats to use Healing Steps with Ludicolo. I spin tail again to ko sparce and both Slugma. All he has left is 2 ludi both with at least 40 damage I believe. I think he was going to be unable to ko the tyranitar that turn. I didn’t think the game was won quite yet, but he saw too little hope in the game and conceded with about 30 minutes left.
1-0
Game 2
He goes first and gets t1 ludi for 30 damage. Fortunately, I am just fine with t1 Dunsparce and get Pidgeot and Magcargo in good time but have little else. He doesn’t bench anything except building a 2nd lombre. I suspected with his large hand and hearing from others later that he was not benching Slugma because it would get Pow’d. This actually makes for an easier game for me as he was about to find out. I wind up with about a 3 card hand after playing down some things off a copycat.
I have pidgeot cargo, trode, larvitar, jirachi active and sparce ko’d. I have dark to jirachi, heal and scramble in the discard, need those and another scramble to do 100. I search for candy, smooth over for tyranitar and have admin in hand. Next turn I will get ttar, search for scramble ko ludi and admin. GG. I wait to see what he plays, and when he ko’s Jirachi with playing no admin. (my hand was only 3-4 cards, dunno if that helped) I know I can win it right here. So I play candy ttar, admin him to 2 after using electrode and get scramble for the ohko with grind. All he has is Lombre with now 3 nrg. On his turn up 5-2 he retrievers for ludi, and benches lotad. Hits me for 40ish. I ohko the ludi, he sends up lotad, draws, shakes his head at his hand and reveals it to show he has lost.
2-0 (12-2)

The crowd was amazing, first it hit me, I felt so great after being so nervous, I defeated the champion! Unbelievable! It was one of my best moments of the day. I shook his hand and then the applause came about for Yamato which was absolutely great. When it was clear they were clapping for him I told him this game means so much to the crowd because of the huge respect we all have for him. When he got up he got a standing ovation, it was fantastic, he waved to the crowd and bowed with a thank you. I could tell he was really disappointed, as someone else said to me, thru both worlds until then he had had all the answers. He acknowledged the crowd as a great sport and the crowd’s ovation for him is definately one of the best things I have seen from the players of this game in the last 6 years.

Between rounds I try to get as much information on my next opponent, now the last Japanese player in 15+. I found out he has D Tyranitar and Magcargo. I ask his last opponent Eric I think and several other people about his list. A surprising thing is his list plays no candy which means I don’t have to worry about nearly as many options. He also has R energies, and ruins, nothing that means that much to me except I don’t know if he has any Sand damage Ttar which would be his biggest threat to me. I hear multiple people say he does and multiple say he doesn’t. I go into the next game unsure whether he played 1 sand or not. I realize that the other top 4 match is Pablo and Jeremy both win Nidoqueen/Milotic and realize there is next to no chance of me winning the whole thing. I also knew that the Japanese player with the Tyranitar probably couldn’t win either vs them so North America should get the trophy back no matter what now. These things made me a lot less nervous than before my game with Yamato.
Top 4 vs. Ken Yukuhiro (Dark Tyranitar/Magcargo)
Game 1
I wasn’t nervous but he seemed to be at several points during the game. It’s fairly early in the game, probably t3-t4 when he promotes 70 HP Dark Pupitar and gets tails on Explosive Evolution. I have a small setup, something like no Pidgeot yet but Cargo but I decide to take the oppurtunity of using Electrode early for just a couple nrg and ohko the Dark Pupitar with Dark Tyranitar and Grind. I think I follow that up with one spinning tail before he rock tms me, the active tyranitar was candied and I lose scramble. I evolve the active Larvitar and the benched one to Pupitars. He comes up and Spin Tails me and I see my active Dark Pupitar has Darkness attached, and his spin tail ttar has 20 dmg. I attach Scramble and do 100 with Pupitar and weakness. From his reaction it was clear he didn’t see that move. Later on his turn he asked a PCL judge for all the stats of my Dark Pupitar. I get another spin tail or 2 off and after making sure he can thru a translator, he concedes game 1.
1-0
Game 2
There’s about 25 minutes left but since he had to ask a few questions thru a translator during the game the judges tell us we will get a 4 minute extension. Ken really gets going quick in this game, I mean shuffling fast etc. and I tried to keep my moves low on time as well. We both get some setup. He grinds for a bit and then Spin tails but I am ready to just Extra Energy Bomb 2 Darks and a Scramble onto Dark Pupitar for a ohko again. It doesn’t look like he has any play but he sends up a larvitar with no energy, attaches Dark, evolves to Pupitar and gets very excited when he gets heads and finds SAND DAMAGE Tyranitar, ugh so he does have it.
Then as I place the 10s from the attack and then sand damage I realize he gets 2 more prizes putting him down to 1. It’s 1-5 and I have admin in hand. I evolve to Dark Tyranitar and count my energy to see I have enough to do 90 with Grind. I have dark in hand but need scramble for ohko. All I have in play is the tyranitar and Magcargo with 40 (if he rocks with sand dmg he wins.) All he has is sand ttar with dark and sparce. I pow the dark to sparce and admin, he shouldn’t have any play next turn even if I don’t draw Scramble off Admin (Pidgeot was prized this game so I can’t just search it). I do draw Scramble on the admin that puts him at 1 card and ohko sand dmg. He puts up sparce and benches another and gets tails on flash. (I smoothed over for Heal energy anyways.) I play the heal on cargo for protection, smooth over for another heal, ko the sparce and get a heal off the prizes. He attaches to the other and gets heads but I just reveal the Heal energy and the crowd begins their applause as I shake his hand.
2-0 (14-2)

The finals, wow, still I know I’m gonna have to get lucky against such a bad matchup. I am happy when I look over at the judge’s bracket and see Jeremy has made the finals. Jeremy and Pablo are both great guys but I did want to see an American win whether it was me or not. This was the only elimination round where I didn’t try hard to scout my opponent. I knew it Nidoqueen and Milotic therefore I have to get very lucky lol. Honestly I haven’t heard of a better deck against mine that was competitive. Big fighting pokemon that just needs 2 energy cards to ohko, AND a milotic tech :eek:. This makes me very loose going into the last game though. I introduce myself to Jeremy who I actually did want to meet all weekend and we begin, FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!11
Finals vs. Jeremy Maron-Venusaur (Nidoqueen/Pidgeot/Milotic)
He starts out with Pidgey and as he evolves to Pidgeot during the first few turns and builds his Nidoqueens he keeps using Corner/Clutch thru the whole Pidgey line which is surprisingly disruptive. I find out later it is a 3-2-3 Pidgeot so he really can afford to risk a Pidgeot for that early disruption. My setup isn’t especially fast. He ko’s something with Nidoqueen and I do draw into what I need to ohko the Queen with Tyranitar after using Extra Energy Bomb. The thing is he just needs 2 cards to ohko (and he’ll get 1 with Pidgeot) me back and then I basically have nothing. I went back and forth on this decision to go ahead and do that but I figure giving him any more time for more energy drops will ensure that I won’t win.
There’s no way I can Spin tail enough for the win, if him ohkoing me isn’t enough there’s that Milotic tech. Everything has free retreat except Nidoqueen so it’s hard to lock anything. I need to ohko and keep ohkoing with pows for gusts so I take the risk that the odds are way against me in and ohko the Nidoqueen. He has at least 1 of the cards he needs and searches for the other to ko tyranitar with nearly all my nrg. I think about just conceding right there but I find a couple more tricks with Pows and Rock Tm and he only does 70 to my 80 HP Dark Pupitar giving me just a glimmer of hope but when he ko’s that I concede at about 30 minutes left.
0-1
Game 2
I go first, my hand has Dark, Dark, Larvitar, Pupitar and Slugma I remember. I attach dark to Larvitar and do 10 to his lone Nidoran female. He attaches Heal energy and uses the look for friends, reveal cards til a basic attack. If he didn’t attach Heal I would win 2nd turn with Dark Pupitar doing 40. I do the 40 anyways of course, I gotta try to rush him for any chance to win. I think I paralyzed him too so he just benches Nidoran. I ko the active Nidoran and he evolves the next one to Nidorina. He uses Fast evolution and gets Pidgeotto and Pidgeot. I draw Rainbow and do 60 to Nidorina with Pupitar’s 2nd attack.
On that turn I believe I was debating whether to Copycat my hand of 3 into his hand of 7. However last turn he asked my hand size (3) and then decided to Steven’s for 2. I knew I could win on this Pupitar blitz I had going and couldn’t win if we both got setup on 7 card Copycats so I held the CC. Next turn he decides to just CC for my 3-4 card hand now after evolving to Nidoqueen. Even if he gets the energy to use Power Lariat he can’t ko me. He benches Nidoran and uses Toxic. I draw, attach heal and now use my Copycat and pull a Tyranitar, I evolve and ko Nidoqueen. He sends up his 1 Nidoran, candies to Nidoqueen and I am surprised to hear him pass right after that. I do 80 with grind and next turn he concedes that game. The judge held up his hand for me and I could hear the crowd get excited, it’s gonna come down to the wire.
1-1
Game 3
He starts out with the Pidgey line again and slows me a bit with Corner/Clutch. I desperately am trying to rush him as fast as possible but I simply am not getting the cards needed. I go for Magmar over Jirachi as I have a bunch of energy but run out of energy with no Magcargo or Pidgeot yet. I finally get Magcargo. He clutched magmar and then used Toxic so I am quite surprised I am not down a prize yet.
There is 8 minutes left, with just Magcargo out so far but enough nrg discarded from Magmar, I have Electrode, the energy to ohko and Tyranitar ready. This is going to be my only shot, he has about a 6 card hand, he will need Nidoqueen, DRE and another evolution to ohko my tyranitar back and only has 1 search. If he doesn’t I might be able to gain enough control with Pow-ohkos and admin to at least be ahead about when time should run out. So I do the combo and ohko Nidoqueen. He sends up the Nidorina with 1 energy, top decks the DRE and immediately plays it but has Queen and another evolution, a Pidgeotto ironically :)wink) without even searching so the top deck did not matter. I’m down 3-5 now, I think I stall a turn with Pidgeot which he just Toxics. I’m shaking my head as I know I have no time or chances left with about 3 minutes now, I was seriously considering Extra Energy Bombing another Electrode as I saw no other way but I’d never come back in time, I don’t think I had the option available yet anyways, I think of some plan with pows and Rock TM to disrupt him and hope he has absolutely nothing in his hand but time runs out as I’m playing the Rock on Dark Pupitar.
I had probably about a 1-2% chance of winning the game at that point anyways and it would’ve taken a good 15 minutes at the least. I shake Jeremy’s hand and then we both shake every other judge’s hand as the crowd begins to chant Je-re-my, Je-re-my. They did chant Ross Ross Ross for a couple seconds when I got up too.
1-2 (15-4)
I had a lot of close games in swiss but dominated my elimination matches until I ran into an auto loss in the finals. My deck could beat everything in the format but Jeremy and Pablo’s could beat everything in the format and me. So I win 2nd in the World Championships, ALL I WANTED WAS SOME SPIRIT OF THE GAME :wink: . We wait around for what seems like an hour, Jeremy, Pablo, Ken Yukuhiro and I just sit together as we hear about the forms we have to fill out, talk about each other’s decks, sign cards for each other and wait for the award ceremonies.
Several of my friends come over to congratulate me and shake my hand. I know I shook at least 100 hands the rest of the day, probably a lot more, mostly people I don’t even know lol. Jeremy and I and maybe others get interviewed. They were just really basic questions like the one on the player’s fact sheet, age, where you live, what you like about Pokemon TCG etc. Don’t know if that actually aired anywhere. I borrow Jim Lambkee from Seattle’s phone to call my mom and make sure she’ll make it before the ceremony starts. My dad also comes later.

Pablo, Jeremy and I wait in the wings for our turn during the final ceremonies when it is revealed that we for sure we’ll be flown back to Worlds next year. It was great standing up there with this huge cardboard check with so many clapping, watching, taking pictures. Then when Jeremy came up last some guys started chanting U-S-A, U-S-A which I thought felt great. It’s really nice feeling like your up there representing your country as well as yourself. I heard some people thought that might’ve been disrespectful but you see it all the time in the Olympics etc. I think we deserved that small patriotic celebration. Anyways the moment when everyone was up there with the flashbulbs going and the U-S-A chant is the other moment that was really special to me.
Afterwards I go back to filling out papers for Pokemon USA about my Worlds deck if they choose mine to make, like name for the deck etc. I get the yellow bag with a DS, a GBA SP with Pikachu on it and the special promos, top 32, top 16 etc. I also pose for more pictures in front of an extra trophy and then get mine in a really heavy box. As I get that trophy I meet some of the other judges from gym that weren’t in 15+. Pokepop, SD Pokemon, Spookees, Pokebob, and a couple others I think. Finally to end it all Dave or one of the main POP guys calls us up and we get the top trainer cards with Pikachus holding trophies on them. Pablo and I realize my No. 2 trainer card has a slightly happier looking Pikachu than his No. 3 trainer card, I’m not kidding. Jeremy’s obviously must look the happiest so these are truely unique. They all say winner of this card may come back to next year’s worlds, very cool specials overall by POP.

As I exit the tournament area Jim Lambkee reminds me how disappointed I was when I fell short of a trip at Regionals after spending a long time on my Slaking deck. He points out how far I came this year since then and tells me to say that in my report. :biggrin:
I spend the rest of the night in the tournament hall and then the outside free play area getting people I had met from gym and neo to sign cards and also having many ask the same of me lol. I only play a few games later but see that Yamato is by far the biggest attraction with his now storied marathon. One of the many people I got to sign a card was Sean Foisy, Something Else and after he signed a card he pulls out that little POP binder I think people won in the yellow bags probably at cities or something. IT HAD NIDOQUEEN OMG!!! Last year’s worlds binder of the same size had Groudon as I remember Fulop pointed out in his report. CONSPIRACY!!!!!!! :wink: I told Pablo (Jeremy wasn’t there btw) and he already knew.
I just hang out the rest of the night, get a few games, get people to sign cards and watch some pretty hilarious stuff like Kettler and Moss’ argument turned into western-style pokemon showdown lol.
I fly out the next day and am able to sit next to Paul and Lucas from my league. It was tough carrying an extra bag, extra backpack and that big check lol. Good thing my dad went early and took the heavy trophy in the box. I trade Lucas a Nincada I found in a box for a Falkner’s Pidgeotto from VS. Now my trip is complete. :thumb

Props
-My parents for supporting me in this game which I probably don’t acknowledge enough.
-The 15+ judges, A+++++ job seriously. BDS, Meganium45, Chrisbo, Heidi Craig, Sensei?? among others I’m sure. They watched any game I asked in swiss, in elimination rounds they watched the players for time even when not asked. You really couldn’t get away with anything with this team, an all-star performance.
-All the people I met from gym and neo. I was glad to meet just about everyone I did, even some neo players I didn’t think I would want to meet. :wink I met great sports and nice people all around.
-POP, you guys have made this game so great, once again Worlds was an unbelievable experience. We all appreciate what you guys have done for the game.
-Yamato, and the other Japanese players for always being great sports and making worlds quite a bit more interesting than western players vs western players.
-Rogues for dominating 15+ :biggrin:
-Stuart winning 11-14 Worlds
-All the funny things that happened at worlds
-Matt for getting me some help without me asking when I was sick
-Wooper and Grimey for helping me think of the deck name and the secret accronym attached to it.
-LackeyCCG for giving me a much easier way of testing that helped me unbelievably in preparing for GCs and Worlds this year
-Me for believing in my weird deck, trusting my testing, making the right plays usually, knowing how just about every deck worked while few knew the same of me.
-Jeremy, and Pablo for representing North America and gym along with me so greatly
-Anyone who read this whole report.
Slops
-The grinder, an unfortunate situation for the many, many 4-1s.
-60 instead of 75 or 90 minute elimination rounds. I still think at least 75 would help, I was fortunate to only have one of my matches go to game 3 but any other game 3’s would’ve ended on time as others matches did.
-The Team Or-ee-gon hats j/k lol
-LackeyCCG for still eating my cards even on a newer version lol

i think it was nancy lynch that said that not heidi craig,but either way,you won and i lost,i would like to play you again,you had the most rogued out deck that i played the entire tournament,i got ahead and im like i know he wants to spin tail but there is more what the **** is he tryin to do,then when u play the voltorb i knew i had you with the warp there and if i didnt prize ATM,the ATM later,so much for that plan...lol either way gg :thumb:
~brent

Wow thats long great job, it must be cool having your deck come out your going to buy a copy aren't you or do you get one free.

Hey great report, it must be the longest in pokegym history :eek: lol. Agh so that was another mistake I made in our game, asking how many cards were in your hand in the 2nd game as well as the 70 to your pupitar >_<. Those were GGs! I think your deck was the best deck there. I never got to see what the no.2 and no.3 cards looked like, we should compare em to see if they're really different in happiness. I was surprised when Yamato finally got defeated by an American :O I actually had a stomachache too, it was after our game and I had to go to the bathroom so bad but they told us to stay in that area. So finally after like 30 mins I went but the damage had been done. Cya at worlds next year!

P.S. Get a computer that's not a mac so that you can play appr!

Last edited:
Good job Ross, and excellent report :D

Honestly, you can't consider my game with Moss a western showdown, 'cause he played stupidly, and I never got a cham out the whole time =(

I can only imagine that this report only gives the slightest glimpse into your amazing weekend, Ross, but through the spelling and punctuation errors, you can really tell that it was a memorable experience. lol, This has been a great tournament season, especially for Jeremy, Pablo and yourself, I imagine, and I'm glad I could help, even in the slightest way, in your development over this season. Thanks for the prop, although it was mostly you who made the POW BLOCK accronym (and it took me about five minutes to catch on because my computer was being dumb and it wouldn't load the link =/). I was basically just a test subject, and after my reaction I'm amazed you still used it as your deck title.

Coramarinersfan [probably 4:00-5:00 AM ;.;]: Geddit? It's POW! BLOCK.
ReCnEpS0070: Uhhmmm... Who now?
Coramarinersfan: *Bangs head on keyboard.*

BTW, since I knew you'd want to know, here's a list of the Top 10 Tournament reports, lengthwise, recorded on the Pokegym (I'll dig up Moss's STS reports and such when I don't have AP US History Summer Projects that need to be handed in TOMORROW to do T_T):

#1: Pidgeotto Trainer's `05 Worlds Report: 11385
#2: SuperWooper's `05 VA States Report: 7755
#3: Tyranitar666's `04 Worlds Report: 7649
#4: SuperWooper's `05 PA Regionals Report: 7339
#5: SuperWooper's `05 MD Gym Report: 5920
#6: SuperWooper's `05 VA Cities Report: 5075
#7: Jolteon101's `05 Worlds Report: 4272
#8: Jaeger's `05 Worlds Report: 4142
#9: SuperWooper's `04 VA Gym Report: 3831
#10: Pidgeotto Trainer's `05 WA Gym Report: 3801

OWNED. ;) (I'm not on AIM because I'm doing History, so don't send me 3948574857 PMs saying to get online ;/).

~Void~
Keep training those Pidgeotto, Mr. Accronym. =D

Last edited:
I'm the purple shirt that got stationed at your first match and I did my best to keep the flow of the game happening I also was stationed in all the t-32 on cuts so I got to watch your rise through the ranks great deck but even greater playing congats on a marvelous day.

BLiZz

Last edited:
wow, thats awsome!!!!
Very Creative, Bombing..Powing and Admining thats crazy, with Dunsparce Jirachi AND Magmar, with 1-1-1 Pidgeot and 1-1 Magcargo...i would never awsume that to work.
Just Awsome!
323745632874631 thumbs up!
(one guy lost a thumb while training his pidgeotto ;) )

I dunno. The 1-1-1 Pidgeot, 1-1 Magcargo line is quite questionable. I can't help but realize that several times during your report, you mention instances of being "nervous". I don't understand how someone who lets himself get controlled by his emotions so easily is able to get so far in a major event. Although, it helps when you don't face a single predetermined match up until the finals.

I'm not trying to say you didn't deserve to get as far as you did, but well, I don't know how to finish this sentance.

Nice report.

gj ross, when i first met you and played against your half proxied deck a few nights before worlds i knew you would do well. it was great meeting you. You are a great guy and a great player. Cant wait to see you again next year! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Good job on getting second place at worlds w/a rogue deck. It was fun chatting w/u at worlds a few times and on the airplane. Hope u will do well again next year at worlds.

what a great report dude, loved reading it!!

IMO you DEFINITELY deserve top 2- all the research you do about the metagame- noting things down- thats the hallmark of a true competitor! I also love your attitude towards representing your country. :thumb:

*thoroughly impressed*

Great Job! :biggrin:

That record of course did not count a loss to my friend Wes (Gengar)’s Monarchy as that wasn’t a competitive deck

Ha :p Nice report Ross. See you next year at worlds, and congrats :D

Last edited:
WAY TO GO. That was an amazingly long and great report. Friday was very crazy indeed.

Wooper, I think its probably a good thing you've never qualified for Worlds - you'd have people dying of exhaustion before they finished reading your report. ;)

Great job Ross, you deserved it. I am the one of the few people to beat Ross in testing that entire trip, mwahahaha. Okay I'm done. Remember when you win worlds next year, remember the guy who got you that advil the year before.

Back