Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A Petition to Ban Tropical Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeNturist

Let's face it, the new rules make this card ridiculously good, yet it's ridiculously hard to obtain and expensive. Not only is this bad for players who simply don't have the money for Beach, but it's bad for players who want to get into the game, only to find that a staple is a couple hundred dollars for ONE copy. That's a real impedance to growing organized play. The bottom line is that cards that offer a large competitive edge should not be this expensive.

This can simply be fixed by banning Beach.

Banning beach is probably the stupidest thing I heard. Imagine you just spent hundreds of dollars of obtaining this card, and then you hear it being banned? Not fair to the people who own this card at all.

Banning beach is probably the stupidest thing I heard. Imagine you just spent hundreds of dollars of obtaining this card, and then you hear it being banned? Not fair to the people who own this card at all.

I'll concede that it isn't "fair" to those who own the card, but you could make the same argument about rotation every year. The bottom line is that the card is too expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

The simple answer is deal with it.

Thank you for providing logic and analysis to support your argument. I appreciate it.

^^ That's one way, but a problem with releasing it in the next set is that it would remain legal for 2014-2015. They might not want that.

I don't know about manufacturing and distribution issues, but the way to preserve the legality while releasing more of them into circulation is to create a blister pack or boxed product with the existing BW28 or BW50 promos. They would be unstamped, meaning the stamped Worlds promos would still command a premium, yet make Tropical Beach as a playable card be more accessible. But we could encounter problems that Plasma Landorus has now.

P.S. Pokémon doesn't ban cards as a matter of course. Value aside, it would look really bad to ban a Worlds-exclusive trophy card.

They don't ban them, but as of late they do nerf them

If beach IS so essential that it becomes necessary in a deck, costing hundreds of dollars per copy, I don't know how anyone can look at me with a straight face and tell me Pokemon is ok with that. They printed EVERY super good ex in a tin in the last year, re-printed Catcher and almost every other good TSS in Plasma Blast, and they can do anything they want. If Beach is that necessary, they will do something about it.

Why not start a different petition, like: allow foreign languages versions of Beach to be used. Or, print Beach as a promo, or make Beach a secret rare...something like that is great for a card that really helps our meta-game is better than just banning it.

Last edited:
It already costs "hundreds of dollars". If they don't reprint it, I think it could go as high as "Thousands". If it does, I'm selling mine, no matter what.

My only problem with Beach is it offers deck building advantages to those who have them. The reason I love Pokemon so much is because they dont allow event Pokemon to be used because not everyone can get them and they dont make cards everyone does not have access to. I wish they did the same thing with Beach like they did victory cup and gave it a effect of a existing card.

It does suck for those who do not have access to beach. But that is why beach is a stadium, so two people can use it
I understand the fuss in not wanting it around. But you cam play your oppnents are well
Which gives it balance. From history of Pokemon ever since Nintendo bought the franchise, they have proven
Time and time again that if they arent getting a cut in all cards produced, they will take action because lets me realists
Pokemon only exists as a company from here on out, to do nothing but make money and keep at least a steady following.
Companys dont go buy feelings, they go by economic trends and numbers. Instead of creating a petition to ban pokebeach,
Create a petition to boycott pokemon as a whole and if you receive a substantial following then and only then will get you a response.
Disrupt their fiscal predictions and potential to turn over a quartly rise in profit. Dont complain about a card being too broken.

For the people that have them, how many are they legitimately going to run in a deck? I mean people are reacting like if they don't play Beach it's an auto-loss or if you can't get it out turn one it's an auto-loss. I mean even if someone runs four they're not guaranteed to get one out turn one or even turn two. For those that don't have Beach, can't afford, or refuse to pay the prices just do your best to build around it.

I'm not sure why people are upvoting u, but its pretty sad =/ For years pokemon has never been pay to win, and if they allow such card to remain in its current state (or game state), the game will be no different than yugioh, which I despise so much and most people that play pokemon do as well. The person with 4x tropical beaches will have such an edge, that even 1 turn (yes, opponent can use it too, but u used it first, so 1 turn advantage) will turn the game really fast.

I don't wanna play a game where I'm forced to 'deal' with it because some people got lucky buying a card before it skyrocketted, that was a gamble and involves ZERO skill or knowledge

I agree that something should be done about Tropical Beach, but banning or errataing it are both bad ideas. Let's face it: The card is healthy for the game, and fun to play to boot!

Of course, it has now become EXTREMELY good, and those of us that can't afford it (like myself) are likely really going to be hurting when the rule changes come. I can compete at the top level right now without Beach, but I'm not confident about that with the upcoming rule changes.

I fell like the best solution would be to allow both foreign language Tropical Beaches and the World's deck version from Ross Cawthon's Worlds deck. That would greatly reduce the price while keeping a good card around. Alternatively, they could just reprint one of the existing Beach promos using the same promo number but without a stamp. Then it would rotate at the proper time.

I agree that something should be done about Tropical Beach, but banning or errataing it are both bad ideas. Let's face it: The card is healthy for the game, and fun to play to boot!

Of course, it has now become EXTREMELY good, and those of us that can't afford it (like myself) are likely really going to be hurting when the rule changes come. I can compete at the top level right now without Beach, but I'm not confident about that with the upcoming rule changes.

I fell like the best solution would be to allow both foreign language Tropical Beaches and the World's deck version from Ross Cawthon's Worlds deck. That would greatly reduce the price while keeping a good card around. Alternatively, they could just reprint one of the existing Beach promos using the same promo number but without a stamp. Then it would rotate at the proper time.

That's exactly the point, making the game healthier. I can afford to buy 4x beaches, but is it really worth it? Am I achieving anything by playing a card that 90%+ people don't have? Is it skillful?

Nope. Nope. Nope. If I wanted to pay to win, I'd be playing something else =/

Am I achieving anything by playing a card that 90%+ people don't have? Is it skillful?

I would say yes, it takes skill to identify that a particular type of deck runs best with a certain number of copies of Tropical Beach.
And not only that, but also that there are no other cards in the format that would be better suited to use those 1-4 slots in the deck.

The fact that the card is extraordinarily really is beside the point of any skill discussion.

Like I've said before, I fully expect an errata that stops it and other "this ends your turn" trainer cards in Unlimited from being used on the first turn.

Let's wait until it's an actual problem, OK?

I fail to understand the logic that suggests complaining about the problems a card could create a month away is helpful.

Let's see every single competitive deck using Beach. Then we can talk bans. Until then, there are alternatives to Beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back