Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ash's father: the final debate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeWisconsin

For the past 5 years I've heard a TON of theories about who really is Ash's father. Some are much more convincing than others. Although it remains unlikely that the writers of Pokemon will ever reveal who it is, we can still make speculations as to who it is. Anyone is valid with reasonable explanation (I've heard everthing from Giovanni to Prof. Oak to Mr. Mime). I'm interested to see what you guys think.

Mr. Mime, ewww. Anyway its as illusive as some of their last names. That is except for May's *coughyuracough*

Pokemon isnt typically known for it's great character developement. Ash has been in the show since the beginning, and there is almost no difference in the character then compared to now. What do we really know about him? Pokemon is more about the flavor of the week than it is about the main cast.

So to answer your question, all we know about his father is that he was a Pokemon trainer. I doubt the answer to this question would appear in anything short of its own movie, but they'd have to run out of legendary pokemon before that happened.

I don't know why, but Mr. Mime makes almost as logical a father as Professor Oak.

There is an answer to who Ash's father is. It is from an official source, and has been explained by one of my friends from another message board:

There was a book released by the main writer for Pokemon (Takeshi Shudo) back in 1999 called "Pocket Monsters: The Animation". Basically, there's a chapter where Satoshi (Ash) is five-years-old, and his mom is tucking him in bed, and reminessing about his father/her ex-husband.

Satoshi's mom, Hanako (Delia?), and her mom, owned an inn in Masara (Pallet) Town where wandering trainers would come and rest. One day, a wanderer, a star trainer, came in, and grew fond of Hanako, and she grew fond of him. At the time, they were both eighteen. Anyways, eventually, they got married, and she got pregnant with Satoshi. When Satoshi was born, he left her.

Hanako then explained to Satoshi that his grandfather (his father's father) was also a star trainer, and Satoshi then fell asleep. She then said to herself that she knows one day Satoshi would leave her, because it's in his blood -- and he did, five years later.
There ya have it. Ash's father is a normal person who left Delia.

Oak, no question in my mind there.

He had an affair with Delia 10 yrs b4 the first episode that continued when Ash left. Ever notice how many times Oak "accedentially" meets up with Delia in her own house?

the final debate!

Wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

Ash has been in the show since the beginning, and there is almost no difference in the character then compared to now.

Not true. First few seasons, he made lots of stupid mistakes, often relying on people around him to give advise. Now, he's evolved (pun unintended) into a mentor-ish figure for May and Max, and actually giving out the advise when they need it. That's a pretty big difference.

He's gotten a little better, and thats all. He still stumbles around and does dumb things. But other than that, the point I was making is he's still the same character. He has no love interests (that go anywhere at least), we still know nothing of his family, he still has the same goal to be a Pokemon master but this is never elaborated on, so basically we have the same Ash as we did at the beginning of the series except now he is able to beat some people. Team Rocket probably has the most character depth, but thats still pretty meager.

Professor Oak's grandson is GAry. Saying that, GAry would be Ash's cousin. But they look nothing alike.
And besides,

Joshman said:
Team Rocket probably has the most character depth, but thats still pretty meager.
Having character depth at all in a show like Pokémon is pretty good. Everybody's a danged cliché. Ash is the not-so-great hotshot protagonist who lucks out all the time. Misty is the loudmouthed, impulsive love interest (at least in the fanbase) for said protagonist. Brock is the lecherous guy with more skill than the rest of them (he's an ex-gym leader for cripe's sake). May is the ditzy, not-very-good female protagonist. Team Rocket are the imcompetent villains who fail comically every episode. Giovanni is the shadowy villain leader. Gary is the good, yet arrogant rival for the protagonist. See where I'm going? Each description fits the character to a T, but none is very original at all. Kenta/Marine/Jounouchi have more character depth than Ash/Misty-or-May/Brock.

Pfft, the narrator? Which one? The first narrator was replaced when Ash and company made it to Dewford Island.

Giovanni? Doubt it. Seriously, I thought Ash's Dad was supposed to be a trainer, not a manipulative mastermind. I mean, if you haven't noticed, Ash isn't exactly known for his smarts, so I don't think it runs in the family.

Mr. Mime? Ho-oh? Just what kind of disgusting minds do you have?

Professor Oak? That's kind of a sick thought considering the age difference.

I don't think that Ash's Dad was a master trainer at all. Here's my theory:

It's kind of like a Brock/Flint thing. Ash's father went on a Pokemon journey, but failed at some point. Devastated, he went home, but couldn't live with himself. He felt ashamed that he failed his family and that he didn't spend more time with his sons instead of going out on his own. Yes, SONS. The marriage collapsed, they divorced when the boys were 5, and he took one with him. That left Delia with Ash. His father changed his name and never saw Ash or Delia again, and never told his son about Ash, and at some point both sons forgot about each other. Who's the twin brother you ask? Richie of course.

Cooltrainer Aaron said:
I don't think that Ash's Dad was a master trainer at all. Here's my theory:

It's kind of like a Brock/Flint thing. Ash's father went on a Pokemon journey, but failed at some point. Devastated, he went home, but couldn't live with himself. He felt ashamed that he failed his family and that he didn't spend more time with his sons instead of going out on his own. Yes, SONS. The marriage collapsed, they divorced when the boys were 5, and he took one with him. That left Delia with Ash. His father changed his name and never saw Ash or Delia again, and never told his son about Ash, and at some point both sons forgot about each other. Who's the twin brother you ask? Richie of course.

I like that theory...then again I still think he would remember if he was five. But it makes a little bit of sense. Richie and Ash do look alike, both have a Pikachu, both had a Charmander/Charmeleon, both had a Butterfree..in the comics, both had a Charizard. They seem to have the same things. ^^;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back