Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Back to Square One

Status
Not open for further replies.

rerisenphoenix

Quoting a wise player, 'If you're not playing the game for fun anymore, why play it at all?' No matter how you look at it, Pokemon is just that, A GAME! There's people out there that are only in it for winning, for prize support. Well, you're in the wrong TCG for that. Pokemon is, or should be something that's just for fun. Whenever you go beyond that boundary, there's no real point in playing at all.

I love playing, don't get me wrong, but with all the people out there who turn this TCG into some hard-core competition, it's just ridiculous. People, we need to get back to what got most, if not all of us into this game in the first place, the FUN part of the game.

Yeah, tbh the thing that got me into this game was the video game. When I was 5 I got Pokemon Red. I loved it. So when the game came out, I started playing it. It was fun yes.

However, isn't it always more fun when you win? Not getting prizes but winning itself. Like you said, if all you want is prize support, we're in the wrong game. (I'm not getting you wrong here:)But saying that the game shouldn't be a big hard-core competitive thing is where I think your argument starts to fail. The way I have fun now, is by working hard, and then testing myself at places like Nationals.

Besides, isn't the point to be a Pokemon "Master"? Not a Pokemon "I had lots of fun-er"?

Lessee.

Ah, here.

Intro to the Orange League Seasons.

"So you wanna be a master of
POKEMON
Understand the secrets and
HAVE SOME FUN"

Think that sums it all up.

Hello?!

Why do you play the game?
You play to WIN the game.

For many people, playing to win is what makes it fun. So stop telling us not to have fun. :wink:

I think the point is more the simple fact that people whine if they dont have fun while going 3-2 or so.

Playing is fun.
Winning is more fun.

But you go there to play, have fun. THAT is the first step. If you win, then hey, good for you. But there are enough juniors who have enough 0-5 and still leave with a huge grin on their faces. Why can't we do that?

The problem is rankings points having real meaning

The game was a lot less stressful when rankings points did not mean anything. There were no trip/invites to worlds on the line based on your ranking points, then players who already won a City Championship would drop from the tournaments so that other players who had not yet won them could win a medal. And because of the fact that rankings points did not mean anything it was not a problem is when one CC had a larger top cut then another, or if one player could play in 4 Sate Championships while another could only play in one.

All the changes to the game have been made inorder to create as much equality in the opportunity to gain points among players in areas with differing levels of pokemon participation. So points equaling the opportunity to play in worlds has not only made the game more competitive and cutthroat it also has decreased the number of opportunities for the average pokemon player to participate in large tournaments (State and Regional level)

IF worlds participation could be determined by the winners of the Regional/ Nationals Chapionships only, instead of combined with Rankings points I feel that Pokemon events would be much more relaxed and friendly atmosphere to participate in.

Hello?!

For many people, playing to win is what makes it fun. So stop telling us not to have fun. :wink:

I'm with you 100% on this one. :biggrin:

Winning = Fun.

BTW, some of us LIKE the hard-core competition. Thats what makes the game fun for us, and with out it it would get realy dumb.

From what I've seen the ppl that complain about those of use who like to win, are the ones who want to play decks like Tortara or other "fun" decks. :nonono: You can go to league for that, and if the hard-core players bother you then DON'T GO TO TOURNEYS!!!! :rolleyes:

Hello?!

You don't have to play to win it is your choice. In my opinion you should play to improve and the more you improve the more you win.

The most fun I have ever had in pokemon was when I won states.

There is nothing wrong with playing to win.

There is nothing wrong with competition. Did you know there are school districts who are banning dodge ball because "it isn't fair for the people who lose"?

I play to win and have fun. The two can go hand in hand, you know.

:nonono:
Hello?!

I think he means that's all they care about. The game is about having fun and if all you care about is winning and don't care about the fun, then you're messed up.

It's more complicated then it seems. The winning and the compitition is what makes it fun for pros. But it isn't all about winning.

we were at an ice skating rink for a pre release yesterday
there was a poster of a parents yelling at their kid while their kid was on the ice.

then underneath it said remember it is just a game.

we need this for pokemon.

You play to win the game. No questions for the devoured. No answers for void. Only blessed existence within.
Seriously, people play to win, its that simple.

Playing for fun sounds like loser talk.

First off, look at my sig, I'm not exactly a loser.

Don't get me wrong, I do play to win (even though I wish I wouldn't), but that's just the thing. When it comes down to it, we are playing a game. I love winning just as much as the next guy, but when that's ALL you think about, it sucks. As a kid, you enjoy playing the game just for the reason you enjoy it, IT'S FUN!

Also, by hard-core competition, I'm talking about times like when 'Pro' players are cut-throat towards new players, or something like that. It's just not right!

I just wish the game could get back to when it was just fun to play, win or lose!

I keep going back and forth on rankings. Sometimes I wish they'd just award trips/invites based on winning a big tournament. And other times I like it the way it is now (rewarding people for consistently excellent play, but resulting in the environment we have (which, personally, I don't think is all that bad right now)).

I do not play for fun. I only play to win.
I find it satisfying to be able to say that I was the best player at an event.
My “fun” is saying “I won States”.
Winning is fun, losing is not.
Out-smarting a roomful of people is fun.
Competing at highly competitive level, against people, from around the world, each with the same goal is fun.

Just playing, isn’t really all that fun.

Quoting a wise player, 'If you're not playing the game for fun anymore, why play it at all?' No matter how you look at it, Pokemon is just that, A GAME! There's people out there that are only in it for winning, for prize support. Well, you're in the wrong TCG for that. Pokemon is, or should be something that's just for fun. Whenever you go beyond that boundary, there's no real point in playing at all.

I love playing, don't get me wrong, but with all the people out there who turn this TCG into some hard-core competition, it's just ridiculous. People, we need to get back to what got most, if not all of us into this game in the first place, the FUN part of the game.

Alright so the fact that you put how you did in your tournaments shows me that you are proud of how well you did. So you must also like to win correct? Well obviously, everyone likes to win, I mean that is the whole point in compitions your in it to win it. Or am I wrong? I don't see why someone would want to enter a big tounament if they weren't ready, that's what league is for, well that's what I think. Don't get me wrong just because I am trying to win doesn't mean im not having fun, I like to play at a competitive level against other competitive people. I think that is fun. I think tournaments are out there for the best players to come out and shine. If they are hard-core so what, that's fine you have to be in order to not make play mistakes thats how you win. But it's the players that over obsess about rules or are just on your case to throw you off that are terrible. But I guess the people that are just in it for prize support are kind of a drag but there will always be people like that. It's just something that you will have to deal with. Just know that there are still a lot of good people out there that believe in the spirt of the game. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back