Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Battle Roads and Legal Randominizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOW DECK

BATTLE ROADS THIS WEEKEND

I see this scenario happening several times this weekend. People will be hearing about the new rule for dice for the first time. Not all the pokemon world trolls on these boards.

I am not suggesting anyone ignore this rule, or try to find out what individual who championed this rule, regardless of how silly it might seem to anyone..... But new and wierd rules tend to not be well recieved by players who just find out , and believe it or not some judges are more absolutely legalistic than others.

If a player has a legal Coin or Dice, my opponent didn't, the rules do clearly allow for one player to use the other players Randomnizer.

What if neither player has legal coin or dice. Can the players mutually agree upon an appropriate Non-Legal Randominzer???

Is it in the perogative of the head judge to allow this so the match can take place??

Please advise if Neither Player has a Legal Randomnizer???

Extrapolating from the examples given in section 7.5.2 of the penalty guidelines, I would expect a judge to issue Warnings to both players for Procedural Error - Major. To minimize the disruption to the event, I'd expect that the judge would then find a legal randomizer for the players to use during that match, and advise both players to find their own randomizer before the next match to avoid penalty escalation. I would not expect non-legal randomizers to be allowed under any circumstance.

I was also pretty scared of this, but I think there are steps you can do to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the first place.

As soon as this rule (and all the other new ones) were announced I went over it with the players at my league and their parents, and all of them seemed to get it. I also have a few extra randomizers for them and anyone else at a tournament in the case that both players didn't bring any.

Obviously this won't stop 100% of all problems like these occurring, and this thread is probably going to yield some very useful information, but I think being proactive like this is the best way to prevent this situation in the first place.

Let's hope this isn't a major problem at any Battle Roads!

Yup pretty much lol I have a tin ill bring to brs I go to for kids to use that don't have any legal randomizer so =) nice coins too ...

I don't see this being a problem at all.

Battle Roads are events that try to introduce the game to players who either don't play as often, or are new to the game. These are things that they will learn when they get to the event. Usually there is MORE leeway during these events, because of this then say a States. It isn't going to be an issue as far as players not having randomizers.

Drew

Some folks know how to make Lemons into Lemonade. I nice cool drink that is kind of sour, but overall is very sweet.

Extrapolating from the examples given in section 7.5.2 of the penalty guidelines, I would expect a judge to issue Warnings to both players for Procedural Error - Major. To minimize the disruption to the event, I'd expect that the judge would then find a legal randomizer for the players to use during that match, and advise both players to find their own randomizer before the next match to avoid penalty escalation. I would not expect non-legal randomizers to be allowed under any circumstance.

A judge that threatens penalty escalation before the next match to go out and find a legal dice knows how to make lemons into an explosive. I urge judges at these battle roads to be reasonable and polite in explaining this new rule.

The presumption that just because some doesn't have a legal randomnizer, that they are in fact CHEATING should not be how a player is treated. By states, the pokemon world will all have our "legal dice", Brand new players ussually use coins anyhow, but the core non-pokegym players who play but don't use these board are the ones who will learn this the hard way.

I have about 5 blocks of dice, and dozens more. I don't think I have a single legal dice. I do have a few coins, but all the pokemon coins are loaded for tails.

Last edited:
A judge that threatens penalty escalation before the next match to go out and find a legal dice knows how to make lemons into an explosive. I urge judges at these battle roads to be reasonable and polite in explaining this new rule.
I guess I should have added... I'm also expecting that many TOs will choose to make announcements at the beginning of these events, briefly explaining the important rule changes for this season, including the randomizer rule. If you get to the point where you've played multiple rounds and issued warnings, yet there are still players not following the rules, then you have to be firm. This is how the world-class judging staff in my area does things... not heavy-handed, not abrasive, but firm.
The presumption that just because some doesn't have a legal randomnizer, that they are in fact CHEATING should not be how a player is treated.
Procedural Error - Major has nothing to do with cheating, and everything to do with disrupting the event. If a judge has to issue a match extension because two players are rooting around for dice and coins, then that's a problem for the event, regardless of the players' intentions.

That rule is pretty ridiculous. A heads is a heads either way a tails is a tails, you're gonna know if a die is loaded or not.

That rule is pretty ridiculous. A heads is a heads either way a tails is a tails, you're gonna know if a die is loaded or not.

Actually your not going to know if a die is loaded or not til several matches later which then becomes a larger issue.

As for Penalties, every Good TO/HJ should have extra coins and dice for BRs to assist in the Rule changes. I know I had about 9 that were given out and all returned.

It will become old hat just like everything else.

Fish

It would be good if the organizers made sure that players are advised of this when they check in and hand in their deck lists. That should give them time to buy or borrow something appropriate. Of course it should be announced as well, but it would be good to give people early warning on this one.

I also picked up a some packs of Dollar Tree translucent dice to give away so nobody has to "root around for dice or coins" or bother the TO or the judges with this. At 10 cents a pop, I don't care about getting them back.

ETA: Mr Meches notes that a good TO/HJ will probably bring extras. That's true. But it would be nice if other people helped take some of the burden off of them.

First of all... it's just a single weekend of Battle Roads now and that rule has already caused so much trouble. Can't even count the threads about it, and how many respected judges argued against D6. I simply don't understand why TPCi isn't changing this, there's absolutely no reason that speaks for D6 over D20.

At our Battle Road the HJ told the players the can use their old randomizer for the first round but are expected to buy a legal one after that (the store we played in had some). Should be the best approach to deal with that problem called a new rule, as long as the store sells translucent 6-sided dice with rounded edges.

I suggest going to something like eBay or other sites like gatheringgrounds that sell dice for a good price.

In any case, players can ask their friends or other players to borrow legal dice so as to not get penalized.

what kind of dice is considered legal dice? if i don't have any legal dice i'll probably just look around my house for some of my old coins. : )

The funny thing is, in the rule book, it even says that players are responsible for having their own dice and damage counters. There are a lot of places to get dice for dirt cheap. Maybe dice should be used as door prizes a little bit more, to get some to the folks who don't have em.

Translucent/clear and ROUNDED edges.
This is to make sure they are no rigged dice; rigged dice where one side is heavier than the others so as to affect the game.
Having clear dice makes sure of this.

what i saw was this- the judges clearly understand that this is a new rule which everyone wasn't aware of. As such they used their common sense and gave verbal warnings to those who were not prepared for the new rules that they needed to obtain legal randomizers by the next tournament and that they could borrow someone else's they were sitting next to in order to legally get through the tournament for that day. There was no need to be harsh on someone's innocent ignorance.

I don't see any official warnings being handed out until later in Battle Roads, or even Cities, when everyone has been made well aware of the new rule.

On another note, as a lucky coin flipper, it was refreshing to be able to call my opponents out for not rolling their dice properly =P

I simply don't understand why TPCi isn't changing this, there's absolutely no reason that speaks for D6 over D20.

The reason for a D6 over a D20 is simple. A D6 lands square and is stable. If the table is nudged, it won't roll. A D20 however doesn't improve the randomization (still 50/50), doesn't always land square, and will roll if the table is nudged before a judge makes it there to make a ruling on the roll if needed.

Last edited:
Vince, Missouri's PTO, didn't enforce it last Saturday, and I have absolutely no idea when he is, because he thinks that it's a stupid ruling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back