Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Benelux cup report

Matijs

Hello everyone!!!

I decided to write a report of the Benelux cup which was yesterday. I can't remember all my matches perfectly so you guys have to help remember me!!!

I started testing long ago as this was an important event. (K-value 32) I really had no clue what to play until someone I'll state later came with a genius idea --> Dusknoir/Dialga G
So I made a list with some help and tested a lot and decided to play it.

The tournament was in Belgium (Destelbergen).
I can't remember the amount of players, I'll update this later.

So for the matches. 6 rounds of swiss and after that a special Top cut for the best 2 Dutch and the best 2 Belgian players. For the top cut it was best of 3 but for swiss Game.

My matches:

First round: Me VS Vanessa D. with Rampardos
I had to start and had Dialga G active and I think a benched Baltoy. Used call energy and got some Duskull stuff. She had a skull fossil in front and attached 2 Pluspower to it so I was scared for a donk but she didnt get the donk. After her turn I just used Deafen for a couple of turns and made my setup. After a while she KO'd my Dusknoir lv x and she only had 1 Rampardos and some uxies and an azelf. So I locked her with deafen and there was nothing she could do after I PokéTur'nd my heavy damaged Dialga G lv x. (Deafen stopped her of playing fossils on the bench)

1-0

Second round: Me VS Mathieu S. with Kingdra
We both had a crap start but after some turns he had a Kingdra and I Claydol and other stuff. I was able to send Kingdra back to the deck with Dusknoir DP and started using Night Spin with Dusknoir SF. There was really nothing he could do.

2-0

Third round: Me VS Marco E. with Regigigas
I had the perfect hand for a good setup but he powerlocked me 4 turns in a row and with a nice placed warp point he KO'd my Claydol so there was really nothing I could do.

2-1

Fourth round: Me VS Helga H. with AMU/GG
We both had decent starts but she was able to power lock me a few turns. First with mesprit and after that with Gardevoir.
But I came back with Dusknoir and spreaded some stuff as precaution for Gardevoir LV X. After I KO'd her pokémon with lot of energies I just used night spin and won.

3-1

Fifth round: Me VS Rob H. with Macheap
This game was like, he starts to KO some basic and I load a Dusknoir with energies. Of course he attached more energies to Macheap. Warp point, Dusknoir DP power, GG.

4-1

Sixth round: Me VS Anna S. with Macheap
I think it was the same as the previous match but if I'm wrong I hope you remember this match Anna.:wink:
But I know it took more time to get control of the match.

5-1

So this was swiss, I came in Second so made it to the Top cut:smile:

Congrats to Karl B. for winning the Swiss with 6-0!!!

I received some PL boosters and waited for the Top cut.

TOP CUT:
Me VS Gert V.
Sven S. VS Kristel H.

Sven's the guy I playtest with the most so it was nice he also made the TOP.

Semi Finals: Me VS Gert V. with SP deck
He had T1 Toxicroak with energy gain and Skuntank with a stadium so he was able to KO something on my side. After a while I realized that his that can do nothing to Dialga G with unown G attached. So I went with straight Dialga and won the first match.
My start in the second match was worse and he was able to KO Dialga G with Crobat's poison. But I was able to do some Night spins after a while which gave me some time. Also the Damage Even on Dialga G with energy gain was perfect for me. In the end he had 1 prize left and needed a Crobat G for the win but his TSD was prized. I made a mistake of not levelling up my Dusknoir DP with 110 damage onit but after a while I was able to LV it UP. And that was game!

So YEAH I made it to the finals which were the hardest matches of the day...

Finals: Me VS Kristel H. with ANNOY.dec
My compliments for Kristels very annoying deck. She started discarding stuff with absol and build a Giratina LV X. She also blocked my powers for 3 turns in a row with Mesprits. But after a while I made a great comback. I shuffled her Giratina LV X back in the deck which was her only pokémon with energies attached. And started Night spinning and when there was some scary stuff on the bench Damage even.
So the first game was for me.
We had not many time left so she hoped for an early Giratina LV X and so she had...
My setup was terrible due some VERY annoying Absols so she had an early Giratina LV X but time was called when she needed 1 more turn to take her 4th prize card...

So that means I won the second part of the Benelux cup:biggrin:
YEAH!!!

I won a very nice trophy and many nice reactions from people.

I have to thank some people for this awesome day, the deck idea and the playtesting.

The Wagner's and all other judges for organizing and judging!!!
Leonners, Sven and Marcel for playtesting. And of course thanks to Leonners for the awesome secret Energy Switch tech I had in this deck.

And of course as I stated earlier, many thanks to Esa J. for this awesome deck idea!!! Hope to see you again at worlds:wink:

Matijs

I wouldn't say that there is a strategy for a Deck+DialgaX. Deafen is awesome, and the X body is awesome too. It is a 1-1 tech that hurts many old deck builds. So not so much a strategy as an versatile addition to just about any deck assuming you have space. Wish we had more Xs

I wouldn't say that there is a strategy for a Deck+DialgaX. Deafen is awesome, and the X body is awesome too. It is a 1-1 tech that hurts many old deck builds. So not so much a strategy as an versatile addition to just about any deck assuming you have space. Wish we had more Xs

Obviously he played the lineup 3-1. The lock is getting Dusknoir X as stadium in play, then go Deafen so they can't get rid of Dusknoir Stadium and win.

Grats on your win Matijs.

Most people underestimate Dialga as attacker. Deafeon is just awesome and so is Second strike in combination with Dusknoir LV X and Energy gain.

Great job.
Though, the best 2 Belgian and Dutch players?
Something sounds wrong, very wrong.

So if T4 was 4 Belgian players, only 2 of them would move on to the top cut?

What if someone that wasn't from Belgium of the Netherlands should top cut? (isn't Karl from Germany?)

Last edited:
What Noir did you play? 1 or 17?

1, Night spin

In this tournament it wasn't able for players outside belgium or the netherlands to get in top cut.

The top4 after swiss didn't had any belgian players, 2 dutch, an italian and a british. So number 2 and 3 (the dutch) went to top cut and 2 belgian players who were 6th and 10th.

Oh really? My bad lol, there is also a really good player from Germany named Karl (I don't know his lastname).

Now to have my question answered, were there any players from Luxembourg? If not, we could better bomb it the first step towards a European Championship with the German and British players that were there! =P

Let's see, the Benelux Cup is an well organized international tournament. Even though this year was the first time it was open to everyone, seeing that there were players from Germany and England, I think with a little more effort, the Benelux Cup could grow into something bigger.

But then again, the Benelux Cup is the only international Tourny I know of.

All tournaments are international. Last years Benelux cup was not closed, the year before it wasn't either. You know why? Tournies are not allowed to be closed (except for nats and worlds).

Anyways, there is actually a tournament in Switzerland called something along the lines "Swiss international tournament", which does have players from a lot of different countries.

Back