Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BW5 JPN Scans with Translations! (all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do I begin?

Artwork is disappointing. The dragon as a type is disappointing. Not getting Suicune as an EX but getting the other two of the trio as EX's in the (other) set is disappointing. The "dragon" theme with EX's and a majority of Pokemon in the set theme that aren't dragons are disappointing. Random Registeel EX and Terrakion EX is disappointing. Mew EX in the wrong collation of the sets is disappointing. Lugia? What Lugia -> Disappointing.

Alright, who gave Mew steroids. 120 HP? That's ridiculous. Also Ho-oh EX that can regenerate itself from the discard and attach the three it needs for its attack? Pretty cool, but mostly useless against other EX.
Posted with Mobile style...

I noticed there is 7 EXs, I wonder what one will be cut when we eventually get this set. I imagine Mew's attack will be simalar to Zoroark's, but it will be interesting to see what its ability is.

Some really nice artwork (Terrakion non-FA especially)

Some cool Pokemon in the set that we haven't seen for a while.

Return of Mew ex LM.

Looks promising to me. Pending the complete translations, I would have to try really, really hard to find anything to moan about here.

I can not wait for the translation for Bouffalant as the ability has -20 and the attack seems to do more damage to an EX.

Yeah who decided Mew EX should have 120 HP. It just doesn't make sense. Hell Shaymin only got 110.

Anyone else find it funny that Terrakion EX has a lighter retreat cost than regular Terrakion?

It's Mew.

It doesn't need anyone's permission to be awesome.

While this is true, it does make me wonder what they put in those EX "vitamins." I mean, Mew is awesome on its own, and now that it can use the attack of every Pokemon in play as its own... Granted, 120 HP still means you lose two prizes to a Blue Flare to the face.

I really, REALLY like these EXs. Yes, the Pokemon they chose are pretty random, but whatever, this is PCL, they ALWAYS do that.

Almost all of these EXs actually have significant potential for playability. Ho-Oh EX could be pretty fantastic with Ultra Ball in the same format as it. Registeel EX's first attack is awesome, although the card as a whole is pretty underwhelming. Mew EX is, well, it's Mew EX. It's awesome (not to mention you could now rebuild MewTrik with current cards, which is pretty funny). Rayquaza EX is borderline broken. Maybe not even borderline :p Terrakion EX doesn't have the best damage output, but his potential for energy acceleration is pretty interesting. Giratina EX is the only one I can't think of something good about, but still, I'm liking these.

Here's hoping the set as a whole is fantastic. I'm curious what those 2 clothing-like trainer are. One looks scarily like Focus Band. Please, please, PLEASE don't be Focus Band.

Translations of the EX's are up. Mew EX and Ho-oh EX are somewhat similar to their dubut EX cards from Gen III. Ho-oh's Rainbow Burn is a bit under powered for an EX if you ask me. Terrakion EX can now do energy acceleration, so I guess it is best to pair it with Cilan. Registeel EX can spread 30 to 3 pokemon, but Kyurem from NV has the better attack for 3 energies. Well, I am looking forward to playing with Rayquaza EX and Mew EX the most. The others... not so much.
~Cyber~

nice to see abilities on EXs. glad they're not just throwing higher damage attacks on higher HP basics. looks like that flying psychic guy does something with EXs. safeguard, perhaps?!

I think we need some evolution Ex already. This is going to be the 3rd set that we only have basic Ex. That's also not including the fact that it's obvious that we are going to be getting Lugia Ex, Celebi Ex, Regice Ex, & Regirock Ex. I don't want to have possibly 4 straight sets of only basic Ex. We need some Ex Pokemon that are evolutions. Heck, I think it might be time for a set with owner's Pokemon again. We haven't had one in a while, so we are totally due for one.

Drew

I am really intrigued to make a Ho-Oh-EX deck for some reason...

Edit: Also Registeel has tremendous tanking potential, that is if they reprint Sp. Metal.

Last edited:
I think we need some evolution Ex already. This is going to be the 3rd set that we only have basic Ex. That's also not including the fact that it's obvious that we are going to be getting Lugia Ex, Celebi Ex, Regice Ex, & Regirock Ex. I don't want to have possibly 4 straight sets of only basic Ex. We need some Ex Pokemon that are evolutions. Heck, I think it might be time for a set with owner's Pokemon again. We haven't had one in a while, so we are totally due for one.

Drew

I think it has become fairly obvious that these new EX cards are a way of making Legendary Pokemon the beasts they are in the Video Games in the TCG despite them only being a Basic Pokemon. I mean why should God (Arceus) have the same HP and weaker attacks than a Jumpluff? I honestly expect no stage 1 or 2 EX cards since I'm guessing they won't exist for the length of time they did before what with the 6th Gen on track for a 2014 release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back