Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"Bye" as in "bye-bye resistance"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lev

I know that a bye gives you an auto-win, i.e. 3 points. But how about resistance?

If you win a French CC you automatically win a bye for the first round of the French Nationals. I you win two CCs then you're free for the first couple of rounds. If you win 3 CCs you... no, you cannot win more than two byes for the French Nationals :tongue:

My question is "simple": if I have one or two bye(s) for the first couple of rounds of the tournament, should I use them (and will it affect my resistance?), or should I try to win the rounds "normally" in order to avoid spoiling my resistance?

I don't know if my point is clear, if it makes any sense. It's not even clear in my own head :biggrin:

Well if you can decipher my question, help would be very much appreciated!

NB : Anyway having an auto-win is always better than losing a match due to a bye I didn't use... :rolleyes:

Your Op-Win% only counts the Win% of real opponents. It ignores rounds you had Byes when averaging up your Op-Win%. However, you do count your opponent's bye's as part of their Win%; thus, it can help you.

In addition to this, after the first two rounds you will be playing people who have won at least 2 games from the very beginning which will probably help your Op-Win% as you don't have to worry about your first and round opponent just totally bombing you and screwing over your %.

However, in the end, what matters most is how the people you played perform.

Professor_Chris said:
Your Op-Win% only counts the Win% of real opponents. It ignores rounds you had Byes when averaging up your Op-Win%. However, you do count your opponent's bye's as part of their Win%; thus, it can help you.

In addition to this, after the first two rounds you will be playing people who have won at least 2 games from the very beginning which will probably help your Op-Win% as you don't have to worry about your first and round opponent just totally bombing you and screwing over your %.

However, in the end, what matters most is how the people you played perform.
Yah, your bye-wins don't gain or lose you any Opp-Win% points.

One of the nice things that Decipher does for awarded byes is that you get credit as if you played an undefeated player, or as if those bye-wins were against someone who went undefeated through the entire swiss rounds. Thus, and awarded bye is weighted higher than a random bye, AND highly sought after (given out as rewards for winning qualifier tournaments).

Remember, since swiss pairs by record, a Bye guarantees you that your first opponent will have at least one win. That eliminates the random pairing against someone who won't win a game all day. So, while the bye doesn't necessarily directly affect your resistance, it can have an indirect positive effect.

Professor_Chris said:
However, you do count your opponent's bye's as part of their Win%; thus, it can help you.
Not true anymore. The webmaster was informed that all versions of TOM before 1.06 calculated OP Win% incorrectly. Byes are not supposed to be included in OP Win%, so he changed it. The latest version of TOM now calculates OP Win% (why do people keep in calling it resistance?:rolleyes:) correctly. For those of you who are Professors, read the "TOM 1.05 and OP Win%" thread on the Professor forum for more details.

Last edited:
ninetales1234 said:
Not true anymore. The webmaster was informed that all versions of TOM before 1.06 calculated OP Win% incorrectly. Byes are not supposed to be included in OP Win%, so he changed it. The latest version of TOM now calculates OP Win% (why do people keep in calling it resistance?:rolleyes:) correctly. For those of you who are Professors, read the "TOM 1.05 and OP Win%" thread for more details.
So, it's back to the way it was in the olden days, the way DCI Reporter handled byes.

So, getting a bye doesn't effect YOU (other than giving you a W -- which of course is VERY good). but it DOES hurt your opponent's Opp-Win%. For example, if you get 2 byes and end up with a 4-2 record, your opponent's Opp-Win% gets credit for you going 2-2, NOT 4-2.

Bottom line: Getting a bye helps you (because you get a W), but it DOESN'T help your opponent's resistance. So, your 4-2 record (2 byes) is WORSE than a 4-2 record (with 1 or less byes) with regards to your opponent's Opp-Win%. You're potentially "screwing" your opponent's resistance, not yours.

But then again, YOUR Opp-Opp-Win% (the 2nd tiebreaker) is getting "screwed" by you getting byes.

Anyway, I prefer it this way, so long as the pairing is done correctly, NOT like TMS incorrectly did it at US Nats 2005 when Jeff got paired down EVERY round after he played a 1st-round bye player in the second round.

I

If I have a bye and I also accumulate a single loss then my opponents all suffer. There OpWin% goes down the pan.

You really really don't want to play against any player who recieves a bye.

Last edited:
So, how are late entries handled? When a player enters the tourney after the first round and recieve an auto first round loss, if they go one to win the rest of their game do the people who play him recieve a 100% Win% averaged into their Opp-Win%? :x

Simpson_Fan said:
An automatic win.

BTW: If you win two CC's, can you get two byes then? I thought it was a "maximum" of one.

It is a maximum of two here in France!

Thanks for all the nice and clear replies. It helped a lot :thumb:

Late entry is a loss.

Treated as a loss, but I have to check the treatment on tiebreakers.

In an "ideal I run this on paper" world, it is treated as a 0-0 player going into round 2.

Now. let's check with the TOM...

I will get back to you.

Vince

Professor_Chris said:
So, how are late entries handled?
Players who enter late are given losses for the rounds they missed.
So, before they finish their first match, their Win% is 0.

I'd expect TOM to handle late entry losses the same way they handle random byes, that is, not used when calculating the tiebreakers.

Vince?....

...and, like NoPoke stated regarding byes (your opponent's resistance 'goes down the pan' once you get a loss), inversely, your opponent's resistance goes UP once you get your first win (if late entries are handled like byes -- not counted in the tiebreakers).

Vince?...

I'd say it looks like things work correctly. Bye players get an added bonus (get a W and hurt their opponent's resistance), and late entries hurt themselves (get a L and help their opponent's resistance).

Professor_Chris said:
So, how are late entries handled? When a player enters the tourney after the first round and recieve an auto first round loss, if they go one to win the rest of their game do the people who play him recieve a 100% Win% averaged into their Opp-Win%? :x

People who recieve an auto 1st rd loss, automatically drop to the bottom of the list of everyone with the same record, so if you recieve an auto 1st round loss the best you can home for is 5-1, and you will be the very last 5-1, or if you are 4-2, you are the very last 4-2....

Muk Man said:
People who recieve an auto 1st rd loss, automatically drop to the bottom of the list of everyone with the same record, so if you recieve an auto 1st round loss the best you can home for is 5-1, and you will be the very last 5-1, or if you are 4-2, you are the very last 4-2....
Really? That's NOT listed in the official tiebreakers, other than indirectly in the "last-loss" tiebreaker. Does TOM (which allows late entries and gives losses) rank late entries as you've stated? I can't imagine it does, or else it would be violating the official tiebreakers.

TOM annotates that a player was entered late at the tournament & does list it after others of like records.

old man said:
TOM annotates that a player was entered late at the tournament & does list it after others of like records.
Well then, if that's true, then the tiebreaker rules need to be updated to show that late entries are the FIRST tiebreaker, even before Opp-Win%.

Yet another reason why we prefer to use our own software over TOM at our local tournaments -- a descrepancy between TOM and the official rules.

There were long, long arguments about this back when WotC awarded Byes to top ranked players participating in Super Trainer Showdowns.

Bottom line: They took the byes. A definite win was better than a first turn donking via bad matchup was the general consensus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back