Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Computer virus

Gir

I got this virus and I'm not sure where to go to find an answer on how to fix it. I've gone through almost every result in the first view pages of a google search and I can't find a definite way of making sure my computer isn't infected.

My internet (Internet Explorer) closed and reopened a few hours ago and when it reopened this was on my home page:

Insecure Internet activity. Threat of virus attack

Due to insecure Internet browsing your PC can easily get infected with viruses, worms and trojans
without your knowledge, and that can lead to system slowdown, freezes and crashes.

Also insecure Internet activity can result in revealing your personal information.

To get full advanced real-time protection for PC and Internet activity, register Antivirus 2008.

We recommend you to protect your PC now and continue safe Internet browsing.

Continue to this website unprotected (not recommended).

I tried doing a google search but every time I tried to click on a result it said internet explorer stopped working and had to close. So I shut down my computer (Toshiba laptop) and restarted and I didn't get that message anymore when I opened up my home page. I did a google search and found that it was some trojan virus that tries to get you to download malware. I'm not entirely sure, but I think the virus is still on my computer because I doubt that simply restarting my computer would fix the problem. I've scanned with Norton antivirus a few times and it comes up clean.

Does anyone know what I should do or where I should go to try to find a solution and to get this virus off of my computer (if it's still there)? I tried going to microsoft.com but it says something like I have to pay sixty bucks to get tech support. Can anyone help?

EDIT: And I have this hard drive or whatever it is that I use to backup my computer every week. I was right to delay the file backup right?

Last edited by a moderator:
well..... Trojan Horses aren't bad, probs got it from an email. It will try to put Cookies ALL over your computer, so I suggest get your anti-virus (which you have.... right?) and get it to scan and then remove the threat. Then update all servers do a full scan and check and make sure everything is fine. If this stil doesn't work then you have to the bad thing......

I have Norton antivirus and I already scanned twice to see if it can find anything. But the result is that my computer is fine. So it's either gone (which I don't think it is) or Norton isn't detecting it.

try a spyware scan. Trojans more often then not come up as spyware instead of viruses (in my experiance at least)

Antivirus 2008 and its variants are really annoying and sometimes hard to get rid of.

I have found that many Antivirus programs such as Norton, McAffee, Avast, and AVG Free are not catching if for some reason.

The best program that I have found to remove the program is called "MalwareBytes".

Download the free version from MalwareBytes.org, install the program, then run in safe mode.

To get into safemode, reboot you computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key on your keyboard. A dos based menu will show, and select safemode. Login as normal and run MalwareBytes.

FWIW, it is not a trojan or a virus. I have not heard of it downloading more viruses, or spyware, but it will take your money. Do not purchase the software, if you do call your credit card company and see if you can reverse it.

Essentially all it does is bother you to get rid of a 'virus' on your computer that is causing the pop ups, then it deactivates the pop ups that it is causing.

Last edited:
lol I posted this on another forum and someone told me to try that program too. I'm running it now (but I didn't run in safe mode). So far it detected 123 infected objects, most in the System32 folder in my C drive (which is where he said the virus is located). hopefully it will get rid of everything.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I knew not to download the stuff on the page it sent me to (it seemed really odd that that would just hijack my home page like that). But I use MalwareBytes and it detected 126 items and removed them all so hopefully the problem is solved. It was a trojan vundo also.

This can be locked now since the problem was solved.

Last edited:
Security Task Manager has a feature that allows you to view all processes on your computer and delete any of them (not terminate, delete).

I got the same virus too while back nothing works.
it kept coming back it did the same stuff that you said.

Nothing worked and i mean it we ended up buying a whole new computer!!
Thats what I sugest buy a new computer then download all you stuff from your drive to your comp

I got the same virus too while back nothing works.
it kept coming back it did the same stuff that you said.

Nothing worked and i mean it we ended up buying a whole new computer!!
Thats what I sugest buy a new computer then download all you stuff from your drive to your comp

Purchasing a new computer is a little overkill to get rid it. Depending on the age of the computer. Then again a 7 year old computer is still failry decent for most office computers.

Cheaper solution is to back up all important files (burn to CD/ put on flash drive or external hard drive) and then reformat the computer.

Reformatting takes about 45 minutes to 1.5 hours, and will erase everything and then reinstall Windows.

Depending on the brand of computer (HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc) you may or may not need a CD. The CD should have came with your computer if needed, or you should have been prompted to create the CD's when you first turned on the computer. If you don't need a CD then pay attention to when you start the computer, it will say something like "<F10> Recovery" on the startup screen. If you post the computer model, I can look it up.

This will ensure that there are no trace elements of any virus on the computer.

That trojan.vundo is a new designation for it.. It used to be listed as generic spyware.

I have removed Antivirus 2008 (and it's variants) from 20+ computers using the method that I stated earlier, my collueges use the same method. Though we do generally reccomend that after you run MalwareBytes, to run SpyBot Search and Destroy and an updated antivirus to make certain that there is nothing else. There has been one case where I couldn't get the Malwarebytes program (or any other antivirus/antispyware program) to run. The computer was too unstable, and had many other viruses causing issues. I was able to recover data from the client's computer, and then reformatted. She told me the computer was running better than ever after the reformat.

The reasons you prolly got a virus:
1. You use norton, which is more of a virus than an anti-virus
2. you said" hard drive or whatever" showing you know little about computers and therefore prolly allwoed yourself to be vaunarable from sheer lack of knoledge.

The best antivirus is pure knoledge, and thats kept me virus free my whole life. but now that you have a trojan, which is very bad lol, the best thing to do would be to restore your compyuter back to one of your back ups.

Heres another Idea go to the nearest gun store buy the most powerful gun they sell

buy only 1 round of ammo

Take the gun load it.

Point at computer

Pull the trigger

Return gun.

IE+Windows is a infamously insecure combo.

If you're patient, download and run boy Spybot and Adaware as mentioned above.

For a more enduring solution, consider using a different browser such as Firefox or Safari, browsing potential security hazards from within a virtual machine only, or installing a more secure operating system. :smile:

The reasons you prolly got a virus:
1. You use norton, which is more of a virus than an anti-virus
2. you said" hard drive or whatever" showing you know little about computers and therefore prolly allwoed yourself to be vaunarable from sheer lack of knoledge.

The best antivirus is pure knoledge, and thats kept me virus free my whole life. but now that you have a trojan, which is very bad lol, the best thing to do would be to restore your compyuter back to one of your back ups.

Well it's fixed already. So thanks for your insulting input even though its help = zero.

Get AVG Free works for me.

AND I extremely consider SWITCHING to Firefox a lot more safe, slightly faster and more reliable thee I.E

If your comp is very slow after a lot of viruses RE-INSTALL Windows, solves a good portion of my problems.

Last edited:
Back