Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Copyrights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wondered how Beckett magazine got away with using pokemon images of copyrighted pokemon to make money when an individual user couldn't use images on glasses - whether he made money or not (or so I've heard). I could understand if they were giving royalty payments to TPCi, or had their permission, but this looks like it hasn't been the case. Interested to see how this turns out.

There is a fair use doctrine, but it looks like Beckett went over the line, at least in TPCi's opinion.

It might also have become more of an issue now that Pokemon is putting out their own magazine.

Thinking about Pokebeach posting some pictures taken during ads of 13th Pokémon Movie, and putting his own copyright on it. :)

I guess this is in the realm of the lawyers, but what exactly constitutes "fair use"? You got me. I have an opinion in regard to this, but it would be best not to publish it - here, or anywhere else for that matter.

I just wonder about the fairness of turning a blind eye to use by another company worth millions, when a PTO lost his privledges for a while for something which (from what I heard) he didn't earn a cent for. Perhaps that's the reason why they finally got around to doing something about Beckett. Who knows?

Copyrights are a tricky thing, that's for sure. You almost wonder if there is any "win" in a case like this. Property is one thing, but no one wants to look like the bad guy, either. It could all end up badly regardless of who "wins".

EDIT: Here is my disclaimer: Make no mistake, I am not advocating either the use or misuse of anyone's property, with or without permission, nor do I offer any legal advice to anyone by my posts. I am not qualified to do so.

Last edited:
Bulbanews said:
If you’ve noticed this issue on YouTube, we urge you to spread the word about this and get YouTube to unsuspend Chuggaaconroy as well as all the others who have been wrongfully suspended over the last few weeks – we appreciate it!
That's not how this works. There's a simple and well-defined way to file a counter-notification and get your videos reinstated, and trying to raise an Internet army isn't it.

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=59826

It might also have become more of an issue now that Pokemon is putting out their own magazine.

There was only one issue of it, right?

Beckett's magazine is horrible anyways, good riddance.

For the person who asked about fair use:

One of the rights accorded to the owner of copyright is the right to reproduce or to authorize others to reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords. This right is subject to certain limitations found in sections 107 through 118 of the copyright law (title 17, U. S. Code). One of the more important limitations is the doctrine of “fair use.” The doctrine of fair use has developed through a substantial number of court decisions over the years and has been codified in section 107 of the copyright law.

Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
2. The nature of the copyrighted work
3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work

The distinction between fair use and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission.

Basically, as far as the Beckett magazine was concerned:
Point 1: Yes, they were getting commercial value out of it, their magazine was sold, not just given out. Since they weren't sanctioned (Even to the point of saying 'unofficial' on their magazine) getting money from Pokemon is a no-no.
Point 2: A bit murky, Pokemon is so widespread there's not one particular nature you can pin down.
Point 3: Again, murky, but they've been using a LOT over the years, I guess Pokemon decided it was too much cumulatively.
Point 4: Here's the clincher. IF Pokemon were not making their own magazine, as Pop said, then Beckett's magazine would be GOOD for Pokemon in general. More publicity, more interest, more money. However, since there is an 'official' magazine, They become a competitor instead of an ally.

As for the walkthroughs, the videos are probably under Point 3, since most of those videos show pretty much if not ALL of the storyline of the game. So one particular section, like "How to get through the Basement Maze of Doom Form Which There Is No Return" would be fine, but "An extensive guide detailing every step you take" wouldn't be.

Hope that helps some. ^^; Copyright research is something of a hobby of mine.

I bought one not long ago, after more than 4 years of not buying one. In my opinion, the issue I bought wasn't horrible, but then again, it was far from excellent. I suppose it's a matter of opinion.

And although the statement may or may not be true, when you say someone "had it coming," most other people consider it rude. Just a heads up.

point 4: it doesn't require pokemon to be making their own magazine.Or to have made one or to be planning to make one. The copyright owner gets to decide what is good or bad not Beckett. The copyright owner has to decide how to best protect the value in the copyright.

Exactly.

Pokemon didn't care when Beckett was making magazines in 1999.

They just now start caring about it when they have their own magazine?

I bought one not long ago, after more than 4 years of not buying one. In my opinion, the issue I bought wasn't horrible, but then again, it was far from excellent. I suppose it's a matter of opinion.

And although the statement may or may not be true, when you say someone "had it coming," most other people consider it rude. Just a heads up.

They were warned multiple times. When it most certainly is true, it is not rude to point out the obvious. Especially with something like copyright infringement. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't mind being "rude" to Beckett.

"It might also have become more of an issue now that Pokemon is putting out their own magazine. "

Well, considering this started a while ago, I don't think that's what Pokemon was worried about. They warned Beckett way before their magazine ever hit the stands.

I most certainly due. It says so in here.
http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/07/19/Pokemon.pdf

EDIT: So you don't have to read all the way through that, I'll elaborate. Pokemon warned them November 1st, 2007. Their magazine was sold about 2 years after that.

The date on that is 7/19/2010. I have Beckett Pokemon magazines from 1999.

So, like people have been saying, Pokemon didn't care about Beckett until Pokemon got it's own magazine

DonphanAtoZ is right.

according to p.10 of that document they have been complaining to Beckett since 2007. Way before they launched their own magazine.

DonphanAtoZ is right.

according to p.10 of that document they have been complaining to Beckett since 2007. Way before they launched their own magazine.

And how long as Pokemon's magazine been in development?

I've only seen 1 issue of the Official Pokemon Magazine. It was picked up at a trade show earlier in the year and I've never seen another one after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back