Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BW-on Ditto/Amoongus/Raticate/Eelektrik: D.A.R.E. To Be Stupid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otaku

The following is a completely untested, hypothetical deck using the translations from the latest Japanese set. I do hope to test it, but I do not know how long it will be before I can. Cards that are not yet out in English are marked with an asterisk(*), with translations below the list.

Pokemon x 20
3 Amoongus (BW: Next Destinies 009/099)
4 Ditto*
3 Eelektrik (BW: Noble Victories 040/101)
3 Foongus (BW: Next Destinies 008/099)
2 Raticate*
2 Rattata*
3 Tynamo (BW: Noble Victories 038/101)

Trainers x 30
2 Cilan
4 Devolution Spray*
3 Level Ball
4 N
3 Pokemon Catcher
4 Professor Juniper
4 Rescue Scarf*
2 Super Rod
4 Ultra Ball

Energy Cards x 10

3 Double Colorless Energy
7 Lightning Energy

Text Spoilers of unreleased cards said:
Name: Ditto
Category: Pokemon
Type: :colorless:
Stage: Basic HP: 70

Ability: Transform
During your turn, you may play a Basic Pokemon from your hand onto this Pokemon. This Pokemon is treated as that Basic Pokemon. (Any cards, damage counters, conditions, and effects on this Pokemon are transferred to the Basic Pokemon.)

Weakness: :fighting: x2
Resistance: none
Retreat: :colorless:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Raticate
Type: :colorless:
Stage: 1 (Evolves from Rattata)
HP: 60

Attack#1:
:)colorless:) Gnaw Off
Discard a Pokemon Tool attached to the Defending Pokemon.

Attack#2:
:)colorless::colorless::colorless:) Super Fang
Place damage counters on the Defending Pokemon until it has 10 HP left.

Resistance: None
Retreat:
:colorless:
Name: Rattata
Type: Colorless – HP30
Stage: Basic
HP: 30

Attack:
:)colorless:) Paralyzing Gaze
Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokemon is now Paralyzed.

Resistance: None
Retreat: :colorless:
Name: Devolution Spray
Category: Trainer
Type: Item

Text:
Choose one of your Evolved Pokemon, then remove the top evolution card from that Pokemon. Return that Evolution card to your hand. (The Devolved Pokemon cannot evolve this turn.)

You can use any number of Trainer cards during your turn.
Name: Rescue Scarf
Type:
Item
Sub-Type: Pokemon Tool

Text:
Attach a Pokemon Tool to one of your Pokemon to use it. You can only attach 1 card to 1 Pokemon, and it remains attached.

If the Pokemon that this card is attached to is Knocked Out by damage from an attack, put that Pokemon back into your hand. (Discard all cards attached to that Pokemon.)

You can use any number of Goods cards during your turn.

Translations adapted from Pokebeach.com.

Strategy: The goal of the deck is to use a combination of Sporprise and Superfang to rapidly OHKO whatever target is most desirable each turn. Ideally, this deck wins by it's seventh turn if the opponent runs nothing worth two Prizes, less accordingly. Eelektrik is included because the deck needs to constantly recycle its Energy, and Superfang itself requires three Energy to work.

Pokemon

As stated in the overall strategy, Amoongus needs to be hitting the field each turn, to trigger it's Ability, Sporprise. This will Confuse and Poison the Defending Pokemon, though the main concern is the Poison.

Dittto is quite important to the deck; all of the Basic Pokemon used have less than 70 HP. Ditto, via its "Transform" Ability can become any Basic Pokemon I have available to attach to it. If Ditto was in play before the turn began, this "status" carries over and whatever it is Transformed into can Evolve! This will allow me to not only buffer the HP on the other Basic Pokemon, but have a variable candidate to Evolve, as well as receive benefits like Energy attachments before I have to decide exactly what it will really be.

Eelektrik, as stated, is purely for Energy acceleration; the hoops I'd have to jump through to use other types (or the risk of relying on four Double Colorless Energy) didn't seem worth it. I am open to alternative suggestions, however.

Foongus is needed to Evolve, but if I am stuck opening with it and choose to attack, the :)colorless:) Energy requiring attack has the same effect as a Poke Ball, which is better than nothing in a bad situation.

Raticate is the main weapon of choice, and it may seem odd I only run two of it. It is risky since once may be Prized, but the deck is geared to "recycle" them as they are KOed. With 60 HP, it wasn't worth trying to bulk up (despite two cards out in Japan that would have each added 20 HP).

Rattata is here only to Evolve. It is the only legal Rattata, and its 30 HP is a real problem for the deck. At least the attack, while not damaging at all, is cheap and could Paralyze, giving a slight chance of survival.

Tynamo is there just for Eelektrik, of course, but I went with this version since it could Paralyze, again giving a slight chance of survival.

Trainers

Cilan
seemed to be the most efficient method to get the literal 3 minimum Lightning Energy I'll need to attack with.

Devolution Spray is a must to utilize Sporprise. Long time players note that the effect has been revised so that if works like the later Hyper Potion.

Level Ball can grab anything in the deck.

N will be the only shuffle-and-draw Supporter at that time, and hopefully the deck contents are such that one can play out most of one's hand before using it. If the set-up ends up being slow, it can help catch-up since an opponent with a small hand will find it even harder to replace what is lost.

Pokemon Catcher is needed to ensure one is taking out the most crucial Pokemon. While this will usually be whatever is attacking, sometimes you need to take out a Bench-sitter to really matter... which is pretty obvious. How badly you can lose if your opponent just sends up Basic Pokemon with a single Energy to pick a Raticate is why the deck runs so many.

Professor Juniper is a bit scary to run since it discards your whole hand, but it is the best raw draw power in the coming format. Part of why I am running so many "Ball" cards is that they are safer to toss if necessary.

Rescue Scarf will likely be vital, bouncing Raticate, Rattata, and if it was used, Ditto back to hand as Raticate is KOed. Ideally I'll have another Ditto already in play so I can Transform into Rattata then immediately Evolve into Raticate, and finally have just enough room on the Bench to play that Ditto back down.

Super Rod may seem high at two, but I expect something in the deck to be KOed each turn, I expect to have to toss stuff I don't want to, and so I need a method of getting the Pokemon (and any "extra" Energy) back into the deck.

Ultra Ball may seem redundant with Level Ball, but since I am running Eelektrik I do want to discard some Energy and this is the only choice. Additionally, I do need a lot of ways to fetch Pokemon, so it may not be overkill.

Energy

Double Colorless Energy helps when Eelektrik isn't ready to go. If I could make room, I'd run a fourth.

Lightning Energy is obvious since that is all Eelektrik works with. I almost wish I had more, since I didn't have room for Switch and thus I can't Retreat, Dynamotor, and then Switch to get a Raticate back into attack position.

This is the first deck concept that I have seen where Ditto's transform is fully used, and is actually quite a necessity. I really enjoy the concept. Definitely interesting.

I'm not sure about N. This deck plans to get a KO on every turn after the first, so N continually loses value. Since you will be using a lot of your hand, you could go with either Cheren or Bianca. Also, I would flip the numbers for the Eelektrik and Raticate lines. To me, it seems more important to get a turn 2 Raticate than a turn 2 Eelektrik. You state that you have a low count because you will be recycling them, but you need to get them into play before you can recycle them. With 6 different trainers, it might be nice to have something to search for the right one for the job. You could do -1 Ultra Ball for +1 Computer Search so you can snag any of these trainers and still have the 2 card discard. You could also lower something for Skyla, possibly Juniper since there isn't too much you want to discard (and you are already discarding 8 additional cards because of Ultra Ball/Computer Search).

In summary:
-2 N
-2 Juniper
-1 Eelektrik
-1 Tynamo
-1 Ultra Ball

+2 Cheren/Bianca
+2 Skyla
+1 Rattata
+1 Raticate
+1 Computer Search

These are just possibilities that I think should help, but only testing will tell.

I will consider your changes. Computer Search literally slipped my mind; when I have enough changes I'll post an updated list and/or edit the original post. I'd do it now, but I have other stuff to do instead of looking up and transcribing a translation for it (since being an Ace Spec card counts as a major text change and thus it probably counts as a "new card").

N really is risky, but it is also the only shuffle and draw available, and this deck needs such draw power. Cheren is just three cards, and that may not be enough of a "bite" to help set-up. Bianca is only good if I already had a good hand and played it out. That being said, if one can get the deck flowing smoothly, then I'd probably look at Bianca, Hugh, and Bicycle (the latter being a non-Supporter). You brought up some really important points.

Like Skyla. If my opponent is doing what I want and focusing on KOing a Rescue Scarfed Raticate, and everything else is set-up, she'd be amazing, since I'd probably only need Devolution Spray. If I need a Pokemon or Energy, standard draw power will be better. I mean, if it is a Pokemon I have however many copies of it, three Level Ball, and (adjusted for what I just said) three Ultra Ball, and one Computer Search I just need to draw into in order to get said Pokemon.

Which is probably why I don't think I need the extra Rattata and Raticate. Remember, the 2-2 line is only to reduce the risk of it being Prized. With just one Eelektrik in play I must draw into a Double Colorless Energy to get the combo off. I also am scared of Rattata starts. This is why I am quite interested in alternate forms of Energy acceleration. I thought about Ether, but that's a maximum of four extra attachments and I need something to stack or peak at the top of the deck. If I use Exp. Share then I can't use Rescue Scarf.

Now, other ideas I've had:

Sableye - if I slow down the pace, I run the risk of many decks "taking off", but I can then have Sableye pop up to reclaim key Items from the discard pile. I could even try my luck with Recycle for those Double Colorless Energy. I'd probably drop Eelektrik in that case, massage the numbers for more Basic Energy in the deck and/or work in Lunatone (the new one can look at and re-arrange the top two cards of your deck) and Ether. The odds seem pretty low, which is why I didn't list this originally.

Mew EX - Another card I'll need to get a spoiler for, but simply put it has an Ability that lets it use the attack of any Pokemon in play. With Ditto, I wouldn't even have to drop it to power it up, just Transform into it to attack. I'd just need Raticate on the Bench to copy, and I'd be able to copy any other compatible attacks in play as well, giving me a lot more options. While it is worth two Prizes, it has twice the HP of Raticate. It would really come down to what I was needing to Super Fang; used on a Pokemon EX, even if the opponent can turn around and OHKO Mew EX I've already broken at least even.

I forgot that N is the only shuffle draw we have at the moment, but I still think 4 is high - you'll get him late-game and be stuck putting yourself in a bad position (although if you are using N late-game, you would have to be in a bad position anyway...). I also forgot about Hugh and Bicycle. The biggest problem with them in the deck right now is space.

To add on to what you said about Skyla: if you draw her and need a Pokemon/Energy, you can get Level/Ultra Ball or Computer Search.

I see what you are saying about the lower Rattata/Raticate lines. It slipped my mind that you have 7 search cards that can get either of them. Even with 2 Eelektrik out, you need 2 lightning energy in the discard and an energy in your hand, which may be unlikely. Unfortunately, the only other reliable energy acceleration methods are Blastoise/Emboar, and they are stage 2 Pokemon with high retreats. Ether is energy acceleration, but the lines you have to run to use it (probably 4 Ether and 2 Lunatone/Pokedex) would be the equivalent of a 3-3 Eelektrik or 2-2-2 Stage 2. Also, you would only get 4 extra attachments.

Sableye: in my head, I'm thinking it would be too slow for the deck, especially since you would need dark/prism energy. If went the Ether/Lunatone route, it might work better, especially since you could grab Ethers for additional attachments.

Mew EX: this could work. The only problem is that it gives up 2 prizes, but, like you said, you can easily break even.

Rocky Helmet has the same problem as Exp. Share - if you have it attached to a Raticate, you don't have a Rescue Scarf attached. Another problem with Rocky Helmet is that Max Potion/SSU are in the format and pretty popular, so the all-but-10 damage that Raticate puts on won't make a difference.

This is quite a neat idea, I approve. That Ditto is really interesting, and I like the effect to which you're using it. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions at this time. However, I would like to say that you title is perhaps the best name for a Pokemon deck I've ever witnessed. Huzzahs all around for Mr. Yankovic!

Again, thank you all for the input. We really are getting to the heart of the matter: reliably getting three Energy onto Raticate each turn will a pain. Likewise recycling Amoongus successfully six times will be a challenge; I have to manually evolve twice and Devolution Spray four times most games, because I won't have room to bust out the third copy.

Towel Man answered why Rocky Helmet could be an issue. Unless I can block both opposing Trainers and Retreating, while a fun combo it has even less chance of succeeding I think than this complicated mess I have proposed. Even then it would really be a back-up for the reasons given, since if you don't get the between-turns OHKO, you pretty much lose. Is there anyway to force my own Raticate to be KOed after attacking? Silly as that sounds I could then just combo with Flygon.

On the subject of Skyla, yes Skyla=>Computer Search=>anything... but only once per game. Look at the cost as well; one Supporter, the only Ace Spec card I am allowed, and two cards from hand. Given that everything else about this deck screams "play your hand out" each turn so that I can finish/begin the next turn with a Supporter to refill, I suspect most turns I just wouldn't have the discard fodder for Skyla to do anything but grab one Trainer that I need.

I can't think of anything, but do you know of any Pokemon with an Ability like "Once during your turn (before your attack), flip a coin. If heads, your opponent's active Pokemon is Poisoned/Burned. If tails, your active Pokemon is Poisoned/Burned."? That's the only way you could do it, and you would have to hope for a tails (or two if it is burn) and get 40/50 damage on Raticate. If there was a way to retreat after attacking, that would work, too.

Skyla: Yeah, getting an energy with Skyla would be a last ditch effort. I only say energy because you could go Skyla=>Level Ball for any Pokemon. It definitely wouldn't be used often. If you were really desperate for a new hand and just had Skyla and two cards you don't need (very rare), you could Skyla=>Computer Search=>Bicycle, but that would be used even less than Skyla=>Computer Search=>energy.

An interesting idea was proposed on the thread about Raticate in Single Card Discussion: I am thinking of a major change to the deck, or at least an alternate deck built around Garbodor/Amoongus/Raticate. Manipulating Garbodor usage through Devolution Spray and/or Tool Scrapper, you could still pull off periodic OHKOs. Without Abilities, you would hopefully have the time needed to set-up a Raticate as well. If I try this one as well, I shall dub it WreckGAR.

Nice

Nice deck and name.

Cards to think about for the deck.

Exp. Share

Energy Switch

Emolga
-Lightning-HP70
Basic Pokemon
[C] Call For Family:Search your deck for two Basic Pokémon and put them onto your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.
[L] Static Shock: 20 damage

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Reatreat: none

Escape Rope
Your opponent switches 1 of his or her Defending Pokémon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokémon, if any. You switch 1 of your Active Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon, if any.

Hugh
Both players draw cards or discard cards until they have 5 cards in their hand.

just a lamp on my head

you should take some of the trainers out to make room for tynamo's evolved form, it is a good :lightning: type pokemon to use in this kind of deck, also ad an EXP. share

I am very glad to be getting so many responses!

terrynum1: We have thought about Exp. Share, but as far as we can tell, we'll need Rescue Scarf more. If you can help figure out how to reycyNot sure why we'd need Energy Switch, but since I haven't had a chance to test the deck (hopefully this weekend), but just to be clear the assumption is that I am using Dynamotor to prep a Ditto that will Transform and Evolve next turn. If Raticate is KOed, that is what is needed. If it isn't... there isn't likely a need to add more Energy. I guess it could counter Crushing Hammers/Enhanced Hammers.

Escape Rope, which is to Warp Point as Pokemon Catcher is to Gust of Wind, is a great card, though given the specific nature of this deck it might not work as well as I'd like; I fear stranding one of my Bench-sitters if I was not careful, and there is nothing I can do if my opponent has a less choice "sacrifice" for me to Sporprise/Superfang into annihilation. This deck needs to be taking out an opponent's key card, and preferably a Pokemon EX key card each turn.

The last two are all about room, but thanks for posting the translation of Hugh; I was being lazy and not doing that myself. XD Emolga would be great to open with, since I need so many basic Pokemon, though I'd be in danger if my opponent was able to ignore it and leave it cluttering my Bench. I might also need to risk a clutch Super Scoop Up, and like I just said, Emolga isn't in due to space.

dark wobbuffet: You're thinking of

Name: Aspertia City Gym
Type: Stadium

Text:
[C] Pokemon have their max HP increased +20.

This card stays in play when you play it. Discard this card if another Stadium card comes into play. If another card with the same name is in play, you can’t play this card.
That gives Raticate... 80 HP. :rolleyes: It would be more useful for bumping Ditto up to 90, but both are still OHKOs for the best decks in the format. Thanks for bringing it up, though, because on the thread about Raticate it came up and I realized neither it nor this coming card that might be in BW: Dragons Exalted:
Name: Large Cloak
Type: Item
Sub-Type: Pokemon Tool

Text:
Attach a Pokemon Tool to one of your Pokemon to use it. You can only attach 1 card to 1 Pokemon, and it remains attached.

The maximum HP of the Pokemon this card is attached to increases by 20.
You can use any number of Trainer cards during your turn.
The two together would still only get Raticate up to 100 HP, and that means it is still a OHKO for most decks, or a pseudo-OHKO for something like Darkrai EX. However, I will confess, without trying it I could be wrong. Perhaps the deck will work as advertised and the opposing player just won't be able to hit hard enough that I can keep the opponent from setting up a real attack?

pokeuku123: I only have so much room on my Bench; I don't know if I could fit another Eelektrik. Or are you talking about its oft neglected Stage 2 form, Eelektross, which I actually want to but don't know what to take out. Are you really sure I can get by with Exp. Share over Rescue Scarf? Seriously, I am willing to go this route if we can get the deck working that way. A cursory glance reminds me that Eelektross (BW: Noble Victories 41/101) can soft-lock an opposing Pokemon in the Active slot. If that Pokemon was just hit by Sporprise, it could be somewhat effective.

Have you considered Mew ex in here? It allows you to attack with a Raticate that has 120 HP. I'd always include at least 1 copy for decks that can't KO Mew ex as easily as Raticate (like Terrakion/Landorous ex decks that can ko it for 1 or 2 energy.

Have you considered Mew ex in here? It allows you to attack with a Raticate that has 120 HP. I'd always include at least 1 copy for decks that can't KO Mew ex as easily as Raticate (like Terrakion/Landorous ex decks that can ko it for 1 or 2 energy.

No, since that rotated out of the format long ago. However, I am considering Mew EX, as stated earlier:

Mew EX - Another card I'll need to get a spoiler for, but simply put it has an Ability that lets it use the attack of any Pokemon in play. With Ditto, I wouldn't even have to drop it to power it up, just Transform into it to attack. I'd just need Raticate on the Bench to copy, and I'd be able to copy any other compatible attacks in play as well, giving me a lot more options. While it is worth two Prizes, it has twice the HP of Raticate. It would really come down to what I was needing to Super Fang; used on a Pokemon EX, even if the opponent can turn around and OHKO Mew EX I've already broken at least even.

Since you're probably not alone in missing that (tucked at the end of a big post responding to three different people), I'll just let that call attention to it. :thumb:

I'm loving the deck idea and can't wait to try it out, but I would love to see a couple of switches in the deck though for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I'd hate to have an opponent using Pokemon Catcher to strand stuff up front. =/

Though after testing it once, that won't be an issue; stuff gets OHKOed up front. However very first turn it does stink since so many Pokemon are so small and so bad to open with. I'll be posting a new list when I think I've stabilized it without turning it into a new deck (like Garbodor/Amoongus/Raticate, a.k.a. WreckGAR). I am really thinking I'll have to shift Raticate to a support role; still important to the deck, but now it's that clutch whammy to finish the game, not the tried and true attacker (since it just can't seem to fulfill that role).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back