Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Dragon Vault Box already in France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. That Kyurem looks like a decent counter to Shiny Rayquaza and possibly Rayquaza EX.

So many english exclusive dragon kyurems o.o I like the all colorless cost but 60 may prove too little to deal with the big dragons, or may simply rely on the snipe damage from Darkrai or Registeel.

It's also worth mentioning that we don't play RPS @Fast Ticket. Too bad :(

Of note, the English release does not appear to be set stamped. That may change, though.

Any reason why Kyurem has a Psychic energy requirement when he is Ice/Dragon? The card had so much potential to be in multiple decks, like Blastoise and Hydreigon, but it's a shame that having 2 different energy types ruined the consistency.

Any reason why Kyurem has a Psychic energy requirement when he is Ice/Dragon? The card had so much potential to be in multiple decks, like Blastoise and Hydreigon, but it's a shame that having 2 different energy types ruined the consistency.
Arguable. Seeing as how Hydopony doesn't mind paying water costs, you can run just a handful of prism energy, and have yourself a VERY effective dragon type counter. Perfect for making Hydreigon and Rayquaza cry. Sure you lose the prism, but you just took out either their main energy manipulator, or just drew two prizes; and their revenge kill only nets them one.

Edit: AND that first attack is completely colorless so it can be ran in nearly anything.

Because that is the dragon gimmik. Have you not noticed this yet? o. They all have seemingly exclusive energy mixes in place of a dragon energy cost. And at least it has an all colorless attack.

Because that is the dragon gimmik. Have you not noticed this yet? o. They all have seemingly exclusive energy mixes in place of a dragon energy cost. And at least it has an all colorless attack.

However, in most cases, the energy costs have made some sort of sense.

Rayquaza has always had LR energy costs. Virtually every one of his printings has had an attack that cost LR.

Garchomp is a Land Shark. Ground and Water. Kinda makes sense.

Hydreigon is a little bit weird. But at least they kept the Dark part. Psychic is the antithesis of Dark, and the two are generally paired together in Pokemon lore.

Dragonite has had energy costs of both Grass and Lightning in the past.

Same for Salamence and Water/Fire.

Latias is a red Psychic Dragon. So the Fire/Psychic kinda makes sense there. Latios has similar justifications for Water/Psychic.

Haxorus as Steel/Fighting. In combination with his design, that kinda makes sense.

Druddigon is red and blue. How could they resist giving him Fire/Water costs?

Giratina is just about the only one that I know of that has truly weird energy costs. But, then again, maybe not. Both Grass and Psychic have been used for Poison in the past. I know Giratina isn't a Poison type, but that might be what they're thinking for that.

As far as Kyurem, that one seriously makes no sense. If anything, I might have given him Water/Lightning b/c of that yellow stripe on his head.

For the most part I think their intent is that the Energy requirements for Dragon-type Pokemon match the colors of that Pokemon's final stage. Dragonite is yellow :lightning: and green :grass:, Salamence is red :fire: and blue :water:, Altaria is blue :water: and clouds (gray/:metal:), etc.

Giratina is just about the only one that I know of that has truly weird energy costs. But, then again, maybe not. Both Grass and Psychic have been used for Poison in the past. I know Giratina isn't a Poison type, but that might be what they're thinking for that.

As far as Kyurem, that one seriously makes no sense. If anything, I might have given him Water/Lightning b/c of that yellow stripe on his head.

Fun fact little ones: Poison types were actually :grass: back then and we had the Gengar line which is Poison/Ghost. That took the :psychic: type. However, since Giratina is also a Ghost, I think they thought, why not make a blast from the past and have Giritina be :grass: :psychic: for the Gengar/Poison Pokemon relations.

Kyurem probably was just thrown together I think.

However, in most cases, the energy costs have made some sort of sense.

Rayquaza has always had LR energy costs. Virtually every one of his printings has had an attack that cost LR.

Garchomp is a Land Shark. Ground and Water. Kinda makes sense.

Hydreigon is a little bit weird. But at least they kept the Dark part. Psychic is the antithesis of Dark, and the two are generally paired together in Pokemon lore.

Dragonite has had energy costs of both Grass and Lightning in the past.

Same for Salamence and Water/Fire.

Latias is a red Psychic Dragon. So the Fire/Psychic kinda makes sense there. Latios has similar justifications for Water/Psychic.

Haxorus as Steel/Fighting. In combination with his design, that kinda makes sense.

Druddigon is red and blue. How could they resist giving him Fire/Water costs?

Kyurem is the boundary pokemon. Maybe their using that as a way to justify the weird energys. They dont want you to think theyre BOUND to any one way of energy requirements just because a pokemons type is ice/dragon. They want to push the boundaries and make you think outside the box.

I think you answered your own question: perceived game balance. TPC probably thought they were making it too good otherwise.

Maybe the typing for Kyurem has to do with Ghost types and the fact that Kyurem might be the husk of Reshiram and Zekrom's old, fused form?

I remember in Platinum there was a Miasma Valley card that hurt all Pokémon not Grass or Psychic. Maybe it has something to do with Giratina's costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back