Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Edinburgh Tournament! 10th September 2005!

pokeguru

You don't know how excited I am to tell you all about this, as I've been waiting ages for a POP Tournament Organiser to appear in Edinburgh, and now it's happened! :smile:

----------------
Date: 10th September 2005

Time: 9am start (incorrectly listed on OP website as 11.15am, confirmed by TO to me via e-mail). It seems early, but they needed it to start early as a lot of players have soccer clubs in the later afternoon. Of course, I'm not one of them, but anyway...

Edinburgh
EH12 8SW

Cost: FREE! FREE! FREE! (Yes, he's serious)

Tournament Organiser: Paul Strathearn

Prizes: There will be prizes for the Top 6 players, but they are still TBC.

Format: Modified Constructed (HL-on)
----------------

The Guru will be there as a player, and I will make myself known there! Anyone who wants to attend, preregister on TPfG website (listed under Sinkyssaints Edinburgh) or post here. Hope to see you there!

~PokeGuru

I'll just arrive in Edinburgh on the 8th of September, but unfortunately I could not attend this event, because I have to take my accomodation keys and so on... So maybe next time... Sad...

Ah, lev, sorry to hear you can't make it. It's the TOs 1st POP sanctioned tournament, so depending on the success, we might have more tournaments in Edinburgh.

Any other takers?

Aww, Lev, just when they're finally having tournaments when you're going there, and you can't make it! Hopefully it'll turn out to be a succes, and there'll be many more. I might even drop in if there's a second tournament there! (cos I'll only be arriving in the UK September 19th, so I can't make it either... ^^;;) :D

Last edited:
Dagnabit! Any one else confirming that they CAN'T make the tournament?!? Great, I'll now have the excuse to shout at anyone who doesn't confirm that they can't make it. Ah...I love being one of the only Pokemon TCG players in Edinburgh. :lol:

Update: Format is HL-on, however at this time, UF is NOT LEGAL! Please consider your decks accordingly. The prizes have also been confirmed as 2 boosters of UF for everyone who enters, with a sealed box for the winner and 20 boosters distributed between other members of the T6, but this may increase depending on numbers. And all this for a FREE tournament?!? You'd be crazy not to attend (sorry, lev and FireBorn)!

Plus, I've now been informed it should last 2-3 hours. So, if you can get down to Edinburgh for a Saturday morning on the 10th, attend!

Yeah Fireborn, that'd be nice! I'm looking forward to meeting you overthere!

Pokeguru, I'll try to be here on Saturday morning. Would I still have the free packs, even though I do not attend the tournament? Of course I'm kidding ^^" Oh by the way, I'll have NO cards when I'll be here, because it's heavy (weigh limit in the plane...) and above all I don't have that many cards in HL-on... :]

PS : Fireborn, my birthday is on the 19th of September... just as the date of your arrival in UK... just in case you're generous... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
lev said:
Yeah Fireborn, that'd be nice! I'm looking forward to meeting you overthere!

Pokeguru, I'll try to be here on Saturday morning. Would I still have the free packs if I do not attend the tournament? Of course I'm kidding ^^" Oh by the way, I'll have NO cards when I'll be here, because it's heavy (weigh limit in the plane...) and above all I don't have that many cards in HL-on... :]

Its good to see...2 people actually interested, lol.

Lev, there's also gonna be an Unlimited side event on the day, if you're interested, so you could use your not so legal cards there. I don't know if/what prizes there'll be for that though. I'll look around my humble abode, however, and see if I can possibly sort you out a Modified deck for the event, I can't promise anything though. PM me if you're interested in that.

News flash: NEW LEAGUE STARTING IN EDINBURGH! :clap:
Info thread to be posted soon on the Intl forum!

pokeguru said:
News flash: NEW LEAGUE STARTING IN EDINBURGH! :clap:
Info thread to be posted soon on the Intl forum!

I don't know why, but I love that News flash :rolleyes: Seems as I'll often be there :biggrin:

The tournament today was, in fact, a failure, which appeared to me, certainly, as a hoax. I'm not gonna post the full info of the story here, as I honestly don't believe I can say how angry I am about it on here without being banned. However, if you wish to e-mail or PM me for the info, do so.

Basically,
-The venue listed on the website was incorrect, and in fact at the other end of town.
-The venue given at the incorrect venue in fact did not EXIST.
-The phone number to call was that of an old woman who had nothing to do with the event and knew nothing about it.

The tournament and league that the TO was setting up has now been taken off the POP website. Coincidence? :nonono:

For now, the only league and tournament location that I'd truly trust is up in Falkirk. So, if you wish to attend tournaments in Scotland, currently, Falkirk is the place to go. If anyone hears of the TO, Paul Strathearn, in the UK setting up tournaments, for now, DO NOT TRUST IT.

Mods, lock this. A sad day. :nonono:

I'm really, really sorry to hear this! Just as we thought a new league and tournements were springing up in the UK- and this happens! Keep your chin up and keep battling through- the idiot that set this up is not worth your time or effort- if he would like to pop down to Norwich I can promise him a warm reception!! :mad:

PokemonSteve said:
LOL. read post 10 irwin.

Read that already... But what would this 'TO' gain from diverting players all around the town for the afternoon? The tournament was going to be free anyway, so it's not like people had already paid an entry fee... Sounds like all the 'TO' did was waste peoples' time...

We all know this guy as he is here on the gym!! and PTCO

I wonder if he recieved any prize support etc etc

irwinmalek said:
Read that already... But what would this 'TO' gain from diverting players all around the town for the afternoon? The tournament was going to be free anyway, so it's not like people had already paid an entry fee... Sounds like all the 'TO' did was waste peoples' time...

My real concern is 2 issues:
- Him getting prize support and judge's support, then legging it and flogging it somewhere, either on eBay or PTCO, wherever he is.
- The fact that the venue, advertised on the OP website, was a dilapidated old house. If there had been smaller children going to attend, who may have not known what to, think what could have happened.

The 2nd issue concerns me a lot more than it would usually do, following the news of Rory Blackhall a week ago. We don't want a fake TO nicking product and advertising things that don't happen, and end up possibly putting people at risk.

Avmozz said:
I wonder if he recieved any prize support etc etc

I'd have assumed he must! If his intention was to waste a lot of peoples time, there are much better ways of going about it than organising a fake Pokemon tournament. If he got prize/judge support, he could sell that stuff for cash on eBay and places like that.

even if he dint get any prize support (which he must have done....) it SUCKS that people were mucked around in the way they were.

is this guy on the gym? what do we know about him exactly?
he cant be a proper pokemon player, cos pokemon players dont do stuff like that to other people

This is just plain wrong, very sorry to hear about this guru. Especially considering how optimistic you seemed about it.

pokeguru said:
You don't know how excited I am to tell you all about this, as I've been waiting ages for a POP Tournament Organiser to appear in Edinburgh, and now it's happened!
Yeah :rolleyes:

Would be nice to find out who exactly this TO is and of course something should be done about it.

andy, speak to me on MSN about it. it doesn't belong on the Gym at the mo. This is a true lack of professionalism and SoTG.

Pokémon said:
This is just plain wrong, very sorry to hear about this guru. Especially considering how optimistic you seemed about it.

Yeah :rolleyes:

Would be nice to find out who exactly this TO is and of course something should be done about it.

Thanks guys for the support. I just hope we can find this guy asap and stop him from doing this again. Anyways, not sure if we'll get further by keeping this active. What's done is done. If I get any further info concerning him, I'll post it on the INTL thread. Until then, could a mod lock this? Cheers.

pokeguru said:
My real concern is 2 issues:
- Him getting prize support and judge's support, then legging it and flogging it somewhere, either on eBay or PTCO, wherever he is.
- The fact that the venue, advertised on the OP website, was a dilapidated old house. If there had been smaller children going to attend, who may have not known what to, think what could have happened.

The 2nd issue concerns me a lot more than it would usually do, following the news of Rory Blackhall a week ago. We don't want a fake TO nicking product and advertising things that don't happen, and end up possibly putting people at risk.

I'd have assumed he must! If his intention was to waste a lot of peoples time, there are much better ways of going about it than organising a fake Pokemon tournament. If he got prize/judge support, he could sell that stuff for cash on eBay and places like that.

I was head judge for this tournament, FYI this tournament was canceled with pop a whole week in advance of the date it was supposed to take place.

The reason for the cancelation was down to the venue we had in place being unable to support our tournament on that date, Not to mention the fact that the "prize support" was never recieved by our TO so the comments above are uncalled for. I myself am unhappy with the way this was all handled but the true anger should be directed to pop given their poor handling both of the tournament that was in place and the league that we currently run. Also fyi the venue was listed wrongly on the pop site and they had actually listed the shipping address and not the venue address.

At this time I would be more than happy to answer any questions regarding this.

As for the Rory story, I myself agree with this comment 100% and can assure you I am also angry with this but this is a pop error as I said above so take it up with them.

In the meantime I understand our TO will continue to run our league (this wont be pop sanctioned until both our TO and myself have had a response regarding this mess).

I would also like to appologise on behalf of our TO and infact pop themselves for the poor organisation for this event

Back