Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Fairy type in the TCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

canderson

Serebii has a posting with a poster about X and Y and there is a new energy symbol on it.......pink which looks like a fairy type is comin........what u guys think about this??

It's to let Fairies by super effective against Dragon types. They'll probably use a mixture of energy like Dragon types.

So perhaps now dragons will have fairy weakness instead of dragon. Wonder what fairies will be weak to?

As soon as they announced XY's new type would be super effective against dragon it was pretty obvious they intended to incorporate it as a type in the TCG.

Pretty sure its why they made Dragon a type int he first place.

Have to see how the pink cards actually look. I honestly think they'll look perfectly fine. But you just never know.

I honestly hope Dragons remain weak to Dragon, it suits their (usually, Altaria so doesn't count) aggressive nature. I do, however, hope that Darkness becomes weak to Fairy instead of Fighting, given Fighting is strong against too many types as-is. (It doesn't help that Normal is a rather common type.)

I honestly hope Dragons remain weak to Dragon, it suits their (usually, Altaria so doesn't count) aggressive nature. I do, however, hope that Darkness becomes weak to Fairy instead of Fighting, given Fighting is strong against too many types as-is. (It doesn't help that Normal is a rather common type.)

While doubtful, I hope that they take X & Y (with new Type) as an opportunity to shuffle the existing Types around. Well, obviously not if the-powers-that-be have tested and tested and what we have is already the most efficient combination, but my own simple, initial investigation suggests that it might be better to have no more than two video game Types per TCG Type, and to shuffle things around.

Not sure if any Type lines up with Fairy and deserves to move in with it, but I think shifting Rock-Types to Metal and Poison to Darkness would really balance things out.

Why not just add the other 7 they are missing?

Bug/Poison/Ice/Rock/Ground/Ghost/Flying

I've long since advocated all Pokemon types with the current Basic Energy types. Implementing the full type, weakness, and resistance chart would be wonderful.

Why not just add the other 7 they are missing?

Bug/Poison/Ice/Rock/Ground/Ghost/Flying

I've long since advocated all Pokemon types with the current Basic Energy types. Implementing the full type, weakness, and resistance chart would be wonderful.

Do I want them to represent all Types directly in the TCG?

Yes.

Is it easy to implement?

No.

I believe the most fundamental hurdle is almost absurdly simple. Not to solve, but in what it is all about: colors. The Pokémon TCG is designed so that Pokémon-Type is represented by a card's color*. 18 distinct colors is a tall order in part because the emphasis is on "distinct" and at times even Basic Energy cards for specific Types have contained 3 distinct shades. :rolleyes:

What is more, the leaked image that started this thread (sadly) doesn't show all 18 Types, ergo it is highly unlikely that "Surprise! All 18 Types!" is the next big reveal (welcome though it would be). With what we have, there is still a chance that the video game Types withing the TCG Types could end up being shuffled around.

TL;DR: I wholeheartedly agree that the disconnect between the Types is a serious mechanical problem for the game and one that I would like to see ultimately resolved... just don't think its coming right away.

*There are also the specific Type symbols, but "same color, different" symbol ups the complexity of the game significantly for the younger players, as would the need to learn the symbols for all 18 Types.

Normal - White
Fire - Red
Water - Blue
Grass - Dark Green
Electric - Yellow
Ice - Turquoise
Bug - Lime Green
Dragon - Same as TCG (Gold?)
Dark - Black
Steel - Silver
Fairy - Pink

Those are easy, and it cures the issue between Grass/Bug and Water/Ice types being grouped together in the TCG. However, they're not all that easy. Fighting, Ground, and Rock can use Orange and Brown, but there's still a 3rd color needed. Poison and Psychic is another issue (and the one that desperately needs a separation in the CG) - one gets purple, but what does the other get? And then lastly there's flying and Ghost...

Normal - White
Fire - Red
Water - Blue
Grass - Dark Green
Electric - Yellow
Ice - Turquoise
Bug - Lime Green
Dragon - Same as TCG (Gold?)
Dark - Black
Steel - Silver
Fairy - Pink

Those are easy, and it cures the issue between Grass/Bug and Water/Ice types being grouped together in the TCG. However, they're not all that easy. Fighting, Ground, and Rock can use Orange and Brown, but there's still a 3rd color needed. Poison and Psychic is another issue (and the one that desperately needs a separation in the CG) - one gets purple, but what does the other get? And then lastly there's flying and Ghost...

Even then the problem becomes balancing so many energy requirements. The way i see it, the tcg needs a minor rework on the relation between types and energy. Consider this system:

Make energies the color based mechanic. All current typing groups would retain their color but gain specific symbols. This allows the energy to stay where they are at, while diversifying the weakness/resistance and type support aspects of the game.

So it would look like:
Ice and Water: Blue energy
Normal and Flying: Colorless energy (this makes a lot more sense in this system)
Fighting, Ground and Rock: Brown Energy
Electric: Yellow energy
Fire: Red Energy
Psychic Poison and Ghost: Purple energy
Dark: Black energy (maybe move ghost here?)
Grass and Bug: Green energy
Fairy: Pink Energy
Dragon: a mix, or Gold Energy.
Metal: Grey Energy.

This allows you to use the same type of energy for Geodude and Throh, but allows Emolga to be weak to Rock and resist Fighting. It also allows for the printing of type specific support, however doesn't make it difficult to keep similar types like Grass and Bug in the same type of support by supporting Green energy.

Something I left out of my earlier post:

Converting all Types from VG to TCG requires distinct colors commonly associated with that Type... and when you're deciding those, take a look at card colors throughout the years. Note that the video games aren't as worried about that (with the TCG, the players have to calculate things not the computer) so while each Type has a "color" there, they often are too similar and/or are not commonly associated/counter-intuitive with their Type.

@bullados: Just checking - you were making a joke, right? I thought you were serious until I clicked and saw a "Light" Type in your example, as well as Dragons being half blue, half pink and Flying being half blue/half grey.

So when I mentioned shifting Rock to Metal, it is because of the overlaps between them, the fact that the silver/grey of Metal-Types works "okay" for rocks, and that putting the two "hard mineral" Types together makes a certain amount of sense. Darkness and Poison Types likewise match-up reasonably well, black is one of the many colors associated with poison in the real world, and Poison in combat has a negative reputation, making it work for the portrayal of Darkness-Types (sneaky, sometimes otherworldly).

Implementing an all energy type roster to represent for each type: easy.
Dual type Pokémon: complicated, unless they decide to get Holon implemented into the mix on dual types.

Consider how many Pokémon represent in numbers for the types, water has the most support in that factor with many being dual type.

IMO- the best fix to balance out the TCG is to increase the count availability to support the dual types in order to provide more variety to the energy types out now with the edition of Fairy type being added. Dragon did not get it's own energy, but it is more flexible for deck creating.

Dual type Pokémon could be made in doubles to increase the energy match- example: Gallade is a dual type. For the sets, release both a Psychic type card and a Fighting type card with similar abilities and attacks. This way there will not be such a relevant dominant energy deck for that set that is released.

But what do I know- I am a VG guy as it is..............................

Otaku: Sort of. I couldn't find a version of this chart without the Fairy taking up the entirety of the screen...

Well my question is, if they do end up making a dragon and fairy energy, will prism work for them? I mean, there were no energies of that type when it came out... So... Idk...

@bullados: Okay. So for serious suggestions about using the VG color coding, see my previous post.

For those (like myself) that want Dual-Type Pokémon, I think it can be done but not alongside (or not easily) along side another "special" mechanic. See how Team Plasma cards were done? I think that has to be done with Dual-Type Pokémon (were they to be introduced) to keep the game accessible to younger players; different color border, reminder text in upper right hand corner of card art, extra symbol in background of text.

Of course, if other mechanics are revised (like having multiple Weaknesses and Resistances on cards in general instead of just special cases) then we might be able to handle it by blending the Energy Types (half and half, checkerboard, swirl, or maybe some other pattern) and clearly having both Types depicted in the "Type" corner.

Well my question is, if they do end up making a dragon and fairy energy, will prism work for them? I mean, there were no energies of that type when it came out... So... Idk...

Given historical precedent, if a new "Type" of Energy is created, then a card that provides "every Type of Energy" or "your choice of Energy Type" or something to that effect will provide/will be able to provide the new type. This already happened with Rainbow Energy, one of the predecessors of Prism Energy: Rainbow Energy was originally released in Team Rocket, the fourth (fifth counting our first reprint set, Base Set 2) set released but provided :dark: and :metal: Energy as soon as we got a ruling on that (which I believe was before the next set after those Energies first came to be).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back