Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

FLORIDA State Pokemon Weekend

Chewie

March 21st. Players mark your calendars for a full weekend of Pokemon.
Make plans now to join us. The event will kick off on Friday March 20th.

Friday, March 20, 2009
State Preliminary Tournament & Open Gaming

Come join the members of the Southeast’s largest league for open gaming. Play, trade, enjoy.

Want to make sure your deck is tournament ready, check out our deck garage. Fill out your deck list with the Decklist Creator.

Preliminary Tournament (Modified Constructed)

Start: 7:30pm
Price: $5.00
Prizes: Based upon attendance.

Raffles: Yes, raffles on Friday… All Players that participate in an event Friday night will be eligible for these:
  • 10th Anniversary Ash & Pikachu Statue
  • Platinum Booster Packs
  • Other Pokemon items
Saturday, March 21, 2009
Florida State Championship
Start: 10:30am

Side Events: We will be taking sign ups for side events all day. They will begin when Top Cut begins, and can run as late as people want to keep playing! Eight people per event. Once 8 people have signed up and paid, play will begin.
Booster Draft Events – $20.00
Modified Constructed Events - $5.00

Raffles: All Players that participate in the main event will be eligible for these:
  • Special edition Dialga/Palkia DS Lite
  • 10th Anniversary Ash & Pikachu Statue (one per age group)
  • Platinum Booster Packs
  • Other Pokemon items
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Pokemon on the Beach
Post-tournament Celebration

Once the matches are done it’s time to play. Relax by the pool. Check out the Pirate ship. Play Beach Volleyball (using pokeballs, of course).

Those that attend but are not playing will have plenty of shopping, restaurants, nightlife, or just sunning by the pool or on the beach to keep you busy.

Holiday Inn Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
1300 North Atlantic Ave
Cocoa Beach, Fl 32931

The link below is to the special group rate:

http://events.ichotelsgroup.com/DPRD-7K9NYE/COIBE/website/

The code is PKM.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great weekend Chewie.

Ron, Tonja, Dwayne, & I am gonna be with Trish that weekend in NM.

Here is the home page for the Holiday Inn Resort at Cocoa Beach.

http://www.hicocoabeachhotelsite.com/

The pool is fantastic and as Chewie said the Kid's splash pool looks so fun I'm sure we'll have to chase some of our Masters out of it!!! (Aaron quit splashing the eight year olds!)

Tennis Courts, Beach Volleyball & Shuffle Board all with free equipment provided to guests.

Couple things to note...

The upgraded rooms (Beach front suites and Deluxe Lofts) are quite large and very nice but also FEW in number.
Register early if you want one of these rooms!

Lofts are two story with a full bath on both levels. They have beds for seven (and room for more!) They also have a full kitchen with all accoutrments (including a dishwasher.) They are also at about the halfway point between the meeting rooms/lobby area and the beach.

The Kid Suites are not suitable to those with children over 10 unless you like sleeping in 5' bunk beds!!!

NOT all rooms have microwaves and minifridges and its 'luck of the draw' if you get one. They are available at an additional charge if you 'draw no starters' (so to speak.)

And NO I don't work for Holiday Inn... I just happen to be one of the organisers of a game convention who will be using the same facility in April for our show RECON.

So after touring the site a couple times in our selection process I took Randy there and BINGO a fantastic site for the the Florida State Championships!

Hope to see you there!

BTW: Disney World is only 45-60 minutes away. Sea World and Universal are a bit closer. Its a straight shot to on hwy 528 (The Beach Line.)
Skip them this year for Kennedy Space Center's Vistor Complex

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Croatian_NidoKing,

You should skip Disney this year and check out the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex instead. Go as early as possible however as there is ALOT to see!

My personal recommendation is to head immediately for the bus tours and go to the Apollo/Saturn V Center. The presentation is outstanding. It still amazes me to stand under that massive rocket and wonder at the required thrust to get its payload on its way to the moon.

After that head back to the main complex and enjoy the IMAX movies, museums, rocket garden and by all means get your kids in to see "Mad Mission to Mars" its hilarious. You can even meet a real Astronaut and ask them questions.

And finally pay your respects to those lost in the space program at the Astronaut Memorial.

Like I said its a big place with alot to see and do.

Last edited:
Dang. I lived 5 minutes (with traffic) away from the Holiday Inn last year before I went to college.

COCOA BEACH HIGH SCHOOL REPRESENT!

OBTW!

Since Randy and Ronae have tasked me with running the Friday Night festivities I thought I'd see what the players want to do.

It is of course easiest just to run the 'old standard' modified constructed event to give players a final test of maybe their 'second string' deck for FL States. However knowing the competitive nature of this group I'm not sure they even want to reveal what deck they won't be playing the next day!

I've had a couple suggestions for sealed, 30 card deck and even using last Nationals 'Prof. Cup' deck challenge format (which Aaron declares he'll win for some reason.) :thumb:

So PM me or post some feedback here so I can finalize plans and get it posted.

Thanx

Marty

30-40 card Highlander maybe ... TRUE highlander at 60 cards would be tough with singles of energy!

Randy wants to do a standard constructed Friday night but it looks like a 30 card deck constructed side event is a go!

Only one call for a draft event so far. (Sorry, I like draft too.)

Still looking for suggestions.

Back