Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Format for Worlds 2005

SHPanda

Okay for Worlds next year i think it would be awsome if the format was both Draft and Modified. It would be pretty simple as far as organization goes. All it would require is at least 12 rounds(more than 2 days :-\) 6 rounds of draft, and 6 rounds of modified. for the 6 draft rounds it should be separated into 2 drafts. The drafts should be separted into pods of 8 and have the 8 players play each other, that way the card pool is the same. The draft would take 3 rounds. Then on day 3 just have elimination rounds using their modified decks.

I prefer to have modified with one and with 2 active as formats.
Draft is to luck based (unless you have enough sharpies to change cards)

Good to see you M.

Plus, draft is too expensive for some players. If there is enough space, judges, and interest, both a modified and an unlimited worlds would be cool.

I think that there should be seperate events (on seperate days) for Unlimited, Modified, and Limited. All of those get you a POP rating, so they should all mean something. I know it would be expensive, and I know it would take a lot of time and effort, it would be worth everything put into it.

REally wouldn't be that expensive...

Just hold the limited and unlimited worlds on grinder day, and only allow the top 64 ranked players (invited) to play. The prizes do not have to be as large as the main, modified event, but, heh, cool trophies would certainly suffice for all of us!!! We love those things!!!

Just my opinion.

M45

I think he means making the Worlds main event multi-formatted.

I don't like that idea, I think that there should be a World Champion in all 3 types of gameplay (Modified, Unlimited, Limited (whether Sealed or Draft)), in all 3 age groups for each.

i think that making worlds a multi-format would be fun. If limited was involved in this, then i would hope its not sealed, because that is hugly luck based. Dafting is a skill and it wouldnt be all that lucky because if you only play the people in your pod then the card pool is exactly the same. I'm all up for a unlimited championship, but limited would be far too small compared to modified. Plus with 12 rounds it would give a chance to someone who say lost the first 3 round. Granted it would take a little longer, but the experience of it would be well worth it, plus it would prolly stimulate privite drafts meaning more sales from players who do not buy packs.

Last edited:
I think we will be seeing a more original format to really test every single skill a world champion pokemon player should have.

HypnosProjectHQ said:
I think that there should be seperate events (on seperate days) for Unlimited, Modified, and Limited. All of those get you a POP rating, so they should all mean something. I know it would be expensive, and I know it would take a lot of time and effort, it would be worth everything put into it.

Bullados said:
I think he means making the Worlds main event multi-formatted.

Um... no. I meant 3 seperate events on seperate days. That way someone who played in the Modified event could also play in the Limited event or something like that. I'd just like that. I've been hanging around the top 16 of Limited for 11-14 all year round last year, but it didn't even matter. Hopefully it will matter something this year.

How about...

Day 1: Grinder, as normal
Day 2: Limited (regular booster draft, in pods, for around 4-5 rounds)
Modified (same tournament, 2 rounds)
Day 3: Modified (3 rounds of swiss, continuing from Day 2)
Single rlimination rounds (Rochester draft format, SKILL) (top 8/top 16, as there were more rounds and therefore more margin for error).

What do you think?

meganium45 said:
REally wouldn't be that expensive...

Just hold the limited and unlimited worlds on grinder day, and only allow the top 64 ranked players (invited) to play. The prizes do not have to be as large as the main, modified event, but, heh, cool trophies would certainly suffice for all of us!!! We love those things!!!

Just my opinion.

M45

I like that idea
because, if you did well enough to get an invite before the Grinder, you should be able to get something out of it

irwinmalek said:
How about...

Day 1: Grinder, as normal
Day 2: Limited (regular booster draft, in pods, for around 4-5 rounds)
Modified (same tournament, 2 rounds)
Day 3: Modified (3 rounds of swiss, continuing from Day 2)
Single rlimination rounds (Rochester draft format, SKILL) (top 8/top 16, as there were more rounds and therefore more margin for error).

What do you think?

thats fine, but we will be up till who knows when for day 3 if single elim is rochester. Thats why single elimination rounds should be on a separte day. And as for the limited rounds, if they are to be draft, the rounds have to be divisable by 3 or else your mixing up the card pool for the draft which is very unfair. Thats why i suggested 12 rounds to keep it even between modified and limited.

This is the schedule i think that should happen.

Day 1: Grinder
Day 2: Limited only
Day 3: Modified only
Day 4: Single elmintion(format w/e)
(note days 2-4 are the same tourny)

I would have to say Worlds should stick to being Modified because in my interpretation of Spirit of the Game, I would say that we need a format that allows for maximum fun and competition. Modified can do this because it is constantly changing as new sets come in and old set come out. Also Modified constantly tests our skills as a trainer enough. Limited is fun and challenging but it doesn't allow for the more strategical or in illustrated terms "pokemon training" part to come trough. Limited is too based on luck as well. Limited works for fun loose tournaments and side events but not Worlds, it is too competitive. To me competitive Unlimited is a whole different ball game than our traditional idea of competion. The Wizards/Professor Challenge proved this. Unlimited rarely has significant changes to hot decks or strategies and therefore strategy is entirely focused on just between the players themselves. There is no flavor to competitive unlimited. A multi-format event is creative and fun however best works as a side event.

A World Championship for Unlimited and Limited seems unecessary and would get repetitive even if each event was seperated from another. No. I can't see this happening at all. Also Unlimited would really not work because the Japanese would have a significant advantage over the rest of the world as they have a significantly larger card base than our own (vending, web, etc.).

Serious disagreement here. Multi-format events really tell you who is on top and who isn't. Yes, Sealed is luck based, but then again, most of this game is luck based. So you run formats that AREN'T luck based - booster draft and Rochester.

Day 1 - 6/8 rounds Modified
Day 2 - 6/8 rounds Unlimited
Day 3 - Top X Cut, Booster Draft, Final 8 Rochester

Also, your argument about the Japanese having an advantage because of card pool is flawed. They're also a couple of sets ahead of us. Their card pool was trimmed to our card pool. There's no advantage.

Also, since the rules on special energies have changed, it has changed the face of unlimited to a certain degree. However, certain decks do tend to be played more than others. Then again, Modified seems to be the same way, so again, no saop here.

I personally like Meganium45's idea of having three seperate World Championships. The unlimited/limited World Championships would be so awesome, and having them Grinder day wouldnt cost that much extra. Worlds will also probably be pushed back in dates this year, so why not add on a 4th day as all Kids will probably still be on Summer Vacation

Day 1: Unlimited/Limited World Championships
Day 2: World Championship Main Event Grinder
Day 3: Worlds Day 1
Day 4: Worlds Day 2

It would give me a reason to play unlimited again...

tA

4 days WOULD be good, but the scheule I suggested above is based on this year's time allowance...

The Rochester draft part wouldn't take long, as there would have been more rounds, and therefore only a need for top 16/top 8...

PLUS, Limited games tend to take a little less time..

I personally would not like an unlimited part in the main event, mainly because alot of the players who even started at Team rocket and up doesnt have the cards to participate in unlimited. Thats why I'm saying that it should be, and only be limited(draft or rodchester) and modified. Drafting takes alot of skill, if not more than modified imo.

Maybe some day we'll have a championship for each type (mod., unlim., limited [several types here], 2v2, team), and an overall champion as well. Until the game grows to the point where it can support something like this I'm happy with concentrating on modified (I think we can all agree that modified is the premier format).

Personally I think it would be cool to keep Day 1 with 7 rounds but have 3 rounds of Limited (Sealed or Draft) and 4 rounds of Modified. Cut to top 32 with 1 single elimination round, then top 16 for Day 2. Definitely keep the Grinder for Friday night. Also I think this schedule works best if Worlds will be in Aug because there are some states that start school back up in early Aug and a 3-4 day Worlds schedule is too much. Just a thought.

Back