Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Garch's second place CC report. Garchomp IS good.

Garch

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
The night before the tournament I’m trying to figure out,”how do I get a Uxie LA in here?” I finally decide to take out a Plus Power for it. That was a very good choice which changed the whole day.

So today I have a sore throat. Not a great day for it, but that’s fine, I’m feeling up to going, so that’s good. We leave my house at 9:00 and pick up Steven and Dean at around 9:20. We still have an hour to go till we get there, so we play mini games on New Super Mario Bros. They get addicted to picture poker, and all in all we have a good time.

We get there at about 10:40, so there’s still 20 minutes till the place is even open. More people arrive, and we head inside at 11:00. I get registered quickly and wait around for the standings to be posted. At 12:20 the standings are posted, and shortly afterwards the pairings. So on to Round 1:

Round 1:
Kenton A (Garch) [Togechomp] vs. ? (?) [Tyranitar]

The game starts with my Gible and Baltoy to her lone Larvatar. I go first, draw, and push down for 10. She draws, attach, and bite for 10. I play Gabite, attach, and marvelous shine. TAILS! Shoot. Missed a donk. Next turn she gets another basic, and the battle wears on. It seems a lot of her energys were prized, because she only played about 7 the whole game and used Roseanne’s for none, looking frustrated. I stay ahead the whole game and win 6-2.

1-0

Between rounds I play my friend Steven, who would go on to win the senior division with Genganoir, and swamp him. Rats. I wasted a good game on a practice battle.

Pairings come up soon, and I head to my table.

Round 2:
Kenton A (Garch) [Togechomp] vs. Philip M. (PikaMaster) [Mamoswine]

He starts off with a taunt, “This week, I’m want to beat you!” (I had beat his Glaceon deck last week.) Well, we’ll see if you do. I get a good hand with a guaranteed T3 Garchomp. I go first, again, and start with Gible and Baltoy (I think). T1 push down, he puts me to sleep with Swinub, but I evolve into Gabite, and marvelous shine. Heads, KO. He sends out a Drifblim, lifting, and hopes for it to live another turn because of resistance. I drop a dark energy and OHKO it with Garchomp. He sets up a bit, and Night Maintenances his Swinubs… He KO’s my Garchomp with a 140 damage parade, and it looks like the end for me… Then I pull a Garchomp, Gible, and a 6 energy Togekiss!!! Uxie, FTW! I KO his only powered up Mamoswine, and he can’t get anything else powered up. I won without a single Claydol. Gg

2-0

Well, that was a good game. I have a random deck check to go through, and my dad is here with food. I wait around till it’s done, then head out to eat. My dad brought me, my bro, Steven and Dean tacos from Taco Bell. Those were some of the best tacos ever. We head back in the place just as the standings are going up. I talk to Jimmy for a bit, and then the next round starts. When I see who I’m up against, I get prepared for a loss.

Round 3:
Kenton A (Garch) [Togechomp] vs. Michael M. (Darth Pika) [Abomasnow/Leafeon]

So, finally, the showdown between me and Darth Pika. I don’t remember the details of this game, because it went to time. It was a VERY, VERY good game. I got a T2 Togekiss (because I went second, AGAIN, would have been T1) and get a tails on air scroll, not KOing his Cresselia. He Levels up, and tries to ruin my day with future site. I play Bebe’s search and shuffle away the bad top decking he gave me. Then I KO his Cresselia Lv.X with a heads on air scroll. I’m setting up more on my bench, as is he, and eventually get a Garchomp out. This is the battle that Uxie saved. When I played it, he groaned. When he KOed it with snow play, I Night Maintenance Roseanne’s Research to get it back. He nearly takes out my Garchomp with just Snow play before I can get it out, but I get more set up. The match takes up the whole 40 minutes, and comes down to 1-1 prizes. My active: Garchomp with 2 energys, no fire, his active Abomasnow with no damage. He moves a counter to my Garchomp with full moon dance, then sits back to ponder if I have a fire energy and a plus power. Due to Abomasnows body I need a Plus Power to KO it. He goes for it, and attacks with below zero. I do have the fire and 2 plus powers. We are the last game to end. VERY good game. Darth Pika hated me the whole day after that, and took every opportunity to let me know that.

3-0

Wow. 3-0. There are only 2 other 3-0’s left. If I win next round I’m guaranteed top cut. Jimmy reminds me of that quite a bit as we wait for pairings, which come fast because my game was the last one.

Round 4:
Kenton A. (Garch) [Togechomp] vs. William W. (red face paint Archetype) [ Electrode SW/ Uxie/ Rayquaza]

I can’t keep this game straight, because we played four times this day. I went first AGAIN, and T2 2 Pokedraw +. His Rayquaza is prized, which probably saved the day for me. As I said, hard for me to remember.

4-0

Guaranteed top cut! Jimmy is ecstatic! I’m quite happy with this. My first top cut as a Master. The other 3-0 got paired down and lost, so I’m the only 4-0. There’s still one more round, so here we go.

Round 5:
Kenton A. (Garch) [Togechomp] {Getting repetitive, isn’t it?} vs. ? (?) [Raichu]

I’m paired down to the lowest 3-1 in the tournament. And wouldn’t you know I go first with a bad hand. I got donked T3 after taking one prize with Garchomp. This upsets the tournament a lot.

4-1

Now there are SIX 4-1 masters. If I had won, there would have been a nice 3 4-1s and one 5-0. 2 aren’t going to make it to top cut. Jimmy gives me a “lucky piece of gum” to chew during top cut, and decides to use my list at an upcoming tournament. I stuff the gum in my pocket and forget about it. I still have it. The standings take forever to come out of the office. There’s a junior leaning on the door to the office, and when the standings are finally ready the door is opened and he fell right it! Everyone erupted with laughter as he moved aside. Standings are announced, and the two 4-1s that don’t make it aren’t too happy. Steven and Dean made top cut, and are against each other. I’m first in the Swiss round. After deck check I shuffle well, and head to my first match.

Top cut round 1 game 1:
(You know what it is.) vs. William W. (red face paint Archetype) [ Electrode SW/ Uxie/ Rayquaza]

So it’s me and him again. Again, since we played 4 games that day, these games are hazy in my memory. Game one goes my way in a good long game, eating about half of our hour.

1-0

Game 2:

I get a terrible start. I play Uxie to try to get something, and get a ton of junk. Nothing gets set up for me and he wins.

1-1

We have about 15 minutes left in top cut.

Game 3:

I start with 2 Baltoy and a Gible, Baltoy active. Only trainer is a Pokedraw +. I go first, and top deck another one. Psychic balance for ANOTHER one and luxury ball. I play 2 pokedraw + for another pokedraw + and a Togepi, then the other 2 for Togekiss and a Candy. He looks astounded that I played 4, and the judge chuckles about how I played Pokedraw for more Pokedraw. With a start like that, I win. Time is called and prizes are 3-5 my favor. Very good games.

5 Minute break till top game. My opponent is playing Gigas, so I’m ready to lose bad. I was right.

Top cut round 2
(Usual) vs. Mike P. (?) [Regigigigigigas]

Garchomp’s matchup to Gigas is about 1-99, if even that. There’s just nothing to say here. I get slaughtered quick, taking 2nd.

0-2

I call Jimmy, as he has left already, and he claims that with this win, I have changed the format. He showers me with praise on wining with Togechomp, and has decided to use it at a later tournament.

I open my prize packs, and get Regigigas Lv.X!!! I also get the Darkrai hat I wanted. We leave at about 7:40. On the way home, we stop at McDonalds. We’re all full of energy, and go laughing like crazy over jokes, hurting my throat, making me nearly lose my voice. On the playground, Steven comes down the slide and hits Dean as I tower over the “Must be 4 Feet Tall to Play” sign. When we get back in the car, it’s about 8:30, and we still have an hour to go. Again, we play mini Games all the way, and get to where we drop of Steven and Dean at about 9:30. By now, my voice is gone for good. We get home at around 9:50. 12 hours of fun.

Props: :thumb:

Garchomp!!!
Jimmy for being ecstatic about my deck.
Steven and Dean
Steven and Dean making top, and Steven winning.
2nd
Mr. W. Those four games were great!
My bro doing well
Pulling Regigigas Lv.X
Cough drops
Putting in Uxie
Darkrai hat
Judges
Darth Pika hates me

Slops: :nonono:

SIX 4-1 masters
Sore throat
Regigigas
Jimmy not returning my Eeveelutions deck.
Darth Pika hates me

Thanks for reading!
-Garch

Last edited:
Trust me, our game would have been MUCH better if you hadn't kept hitting all those stupid heads. :p

To top it all off, I probably sill could have won, had I not had some really weird draws late game.... no energy FTL.

Oh well... it was a good game.

Awesome job, Kenton.

Hey, if you're NEVER going to chew that gum, I WANT it back!

Sorry I couldn't return your deck: you'll get it back soon.

Jimmy

Thank you!

I might not be there on Sunday. I might be leaving to go to North Dakota on Sunday or Monday. We're still not sure yet.

North Dakota? Is that like in Canada eh?

I am pretty sure there are no events there.

Good job with a rogue deck.

Vince

Garchomp has an easy matchup to Kingdra. I beat one of the best players in my area when he used Kingdra, so that matchup doesn't worry me.

I never said that I was going to beat you. I said I wanted to beat you. If you look closely you'll find a difference.:tongue: GG, though I did misplay once with charge through. And anyways, you messed up in your report. The second poke I sent out against you was drifblim, not another swinub. The swinub you're thinking of was at the end when you leveled up ftw.

Nice playing Kent. Hope to see you again though.
Yay for Electrode (SW) for making the top cut.....

Wow. If you can get second with Togechomp, you're like the next Klaczynski.

Good job.

See you at Warrenton.(If you're going.)

Nope, going to be gone then, too. Next one I'll be at is Woodbridge.

Everyone thinks Togechomp is so bad. Tim (Shadowcard) thinks I'm the only person in the world who can run it right.

Back