Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ginos BLOG: SD was Obama, and for the 3rd time 2nd place was achieved!

GinoLombardi21

Most people read reports to see what happend, what was played, and what won. Since typing reports takes me about 15 minutes I decided to make a blog all through my citys reports.

MY TWO MOST RECENT CITY CHAMPIONSHIPS

12-13 @ Disposable Heroes, Johnston, RI

The day before this tournament jon and myself worked on this obamasnow deck which was really good against the metagame. The only decks it lost to was tangrowth and Scizor which is non-existant. I played 4-4 Obama, 3-3 Brozong, 2-2 Claydol, 1-1 Mewtwo Lv.X , 1 Mespirit, 1 Spiritomb, and 1 Unknown G. The list was very inconsistant because we ran Poke Healers and alot of un-drawable cards. Jons deck was 2 cards off from mines and he ended up winning the tournament.

Round 1 - Magnezone/Steelix
I spread wicked early compared to his draw and pass start. By the time he gets steelix out he does 80 with a coin flip and I just pokehealer the damage away to cross out his comeback chance and sweep. 1-0

Round 2 - Raichu
Hes first with pikachu and passes. I play bench and use hide, and I flip heads. He evolves and does 60 damage while discarding two energys. He finally sees it was a bad misplay but my hand was absolute trash so I drew and passed for a couple more turns. He ended up sweeping me this game. 1-1

Raichu 3 - Regigigas
I played mewtwo lv.x and didn't play bench and kept doing 120, then energy absorbsion until he decided to scoop because his only stage one he ran was claydol which I killed. 2-1

Round 4 - Magnezone
My hands absolutely trash again so I fold. 2-2

Round 5 - Luxray
This game when luxray did 100 damage it only did 80 which I pokehealered perfectly. I ended up winning 1-0 on prize cards. Wicked close game!!! 3-2

12-14 @ Die Hard Games, Pawtucket, RI

Since I didnt like obamas consistancy I went back to kingdra and made a crazy list which was less consistant than my last list.

Round 1 - Bellassome
Both of our hands were bad but I was able to get out uxie lv.x to set me up. I won 0-4 on prize cards. 1-0

Round 2 - Raichu
I missed a crucical T2 KO on a Raichu which ended up costing me the game. I started with uxie and attached t1 because I was first. I was looking to hit 3 plus powers and do 90/20 to his raichu becuz I had horsea and candy in my hand. I ended up burning 3 plus powers on the bench horsea missing on kingdra and not realizing uxie lv.x could have done 90. I then decide to play it out. He raichu lv.xs and koes claydol and uxie lv.x. I attack him with kingdra and he plays ssu and flips heads and raichu lv.xs again. I scoop as soon as I see the heads. 1-1

Round 3 - Raichu
I hit my t1 kingdra with plus power to ko pikachu beautifully! He evolves to the bench raichu and inducts. I actually ko that raichu with another plus power the turn after because I spread 20 on it the turn before. He evolves to another raichu and does 100. I then just swarm with multiple kingdras. 2-1

Round 4 - Luxray
My start and swarm is way to fast for this deck to keep up with. I ended up sweeping 0-5 on prize cards. 3-1

Round 5 - ObamaLucario
He had all evos and energy in his hand by the end of this. I turn 3d him because he played 1 active and 1 bench. He drew dead and I capitilized! 4-1

Top 4 - Gengar
Game 1 - I make a crucial missplay off a pokedex of grabbing an energy and not the uxie. Because I got benched and I would have won if I would have grabbed the uxie. I lose 4-1
Game 2 - He starts with unknown g and passes. I turn 1 him. 4-1
Game 3 - Finally we both get are setups and I make sure I got the options I need to keep a safe prize lead and not give him any prizes off fainting spell. When spread decks only hit powers and you only have claydol on ur bench with unknown g slapped on it and just kingdras in play its hard for them to ko things. He ends up getting 2 cresselias out mid game and starts to cause trouble. I already have 1-2 prizes left compared to his 4. I remember it was my 1 prize to his 3. He was trying to cresselia lv.x w/ a pokeblower for two prizes but I just put uxie back in the deck with restore and I won the following turn. 5-1

Finals - Raichu
Game 1 - I burn 3 uxies itching for the turn 1 kingdra. I already burned a plus power on horsea. I have kingdra in my hand. I whiff on the rare candy and I scoop before he draws because I played against raichu so many times and missing t1 is ugly. 5-1
Game 2 - This was basicially the same as game 1 except I hit the candy and evoed to kingdra and whiffed on plus power. Immediately I scooped after I whiffed but I dont remember why. I dont know what I was thinking scooping this game but I did. I thought I would have lost because I missed the plus power but my hand was able to get 2-3 kingdras out with ease in 1/2 turns. I could have swarmed for the win but was too eager. I just gotta play more confidently and smarter and i'll win a CCs soon. 5-2

Shout Outs
A-Rod and Jon for taking two both the citys last week. Underground sweep in New England for 2 straight weeks straight!
Muk Man for finishing the Team Underground theme song *YOUTUBE VIDEO SOON* *HINT*
Everybody who expected me in New York last week and who I let down I'll be there this week. STUPID WINTER STORM BLIZZARD!
My boy Gabrielle from cali!

Hating
Haters
2nd 3x this season
Tyler J. for non stop touching me at tournaments

My Upcoming Citys
1-3 @ The Game Castle, Londonderry, NH
1-4 @ Comicazi Comics, Arlington, MA
1-10 @ The Grid, Manchester, CT

OLDER UPDATE - LAST WEEKEND

12-6 @ X9 Comics & Games, Hadley, MA

I decide to go back to my original Kingdra list and play cresselia in it like I had before I tested Dusknoir and Alakazam. So I -1/1 Alakazam + 1/1 Cresselia and I -1 Bucks and + 1 Plus Power.

Round 1 - Unknown
I dont remember what I faced this game but I won. 1-0

Round 2 - Kingdra
I had the win if I hit a horsea off a dusk ball but I whiffed. I had candy + Kingdra + warp point in my hand with uxie active and plus power in my hand. I hit uxie off the dusk ball and drew 3 water energys. I then just scooped because I was madd disgusted. My next card was roseannes. 1-1

Round 3 - Glaceon
He had leafon with de-evoluter which he tried to buy him some time because I turn one kingdra'd him. I re-candied and warp pointed to ko his baltoy. He then de-evoluted me and I have 2 seadra benched and horsea active. I Candy + Kingdra for the 3rd time and double evo into kingdra on the bench and yeah its over. 2-1

Round 4 - Scizor
I made a misplay with atacking thinking I could ko his scizor with dragon pump for 40 but I didnt read honeycomb and it bought him an extra turn. I got a 4th kingdra up and it won me the game. I won 0-2 on prizes. 3-1

Round 5 - Raichu
This game was the same as game 2 literially! 3-2

12-7 @ Science and Hobby, Watervliet, NY

After losing twice on dusk ball from the previous tournament, I took out a dusk ball for another luxury ball and took out another water energy for a 4th roseannes. My list was faster then ever!

Round 1 - Gardy/Weavile
I turn one his sableye with kingdra. 1-0

Round 2 - Kingdra
We played it out, I won but I scooped. 1-1

Round 3 - Regigigas
I get going with three kingdras and swarmed him. I set up my cresselia nicely and stole a prize with that and played a warp point + upstream for the win! 2-1

Round 4 - Dusknoir
I got got turn one kingdra and spread early and koed his claydol in three turns because of cresselia. He got his lv.x out but I warp pointed and koed it on the bench. After that he just fell apart. 3-1

Round 5 - Tyranitar
I got turn one kingdra swarm and wrecked house! 4-1

Pairings came up and I got 5th which booted me out of top 4. I know playing kingdra is a really good deckchoice to win but down here the New England Metagame is so fierce. It isnt just like Dusknoir and Kingdra like it is down in New Jersey which I wish it was. Im 19-7 with Kingdra. (4 losses to Gigas, 1 to Raichu, and 2 to Mirror Match) I already have my worlds invite so I should be testing ideas and not playing a metagame deck all through citys and besides Kingdra is kind of boring when you play it for 8 tournaments straight.This upcoming weekend im going to be playing some sort of rogue deck for two citys straight. So make sure you read my report next weekend if you want to know what crazy deck I played and possibly won with! :wink:

OLDER - THE WEEK BEFORE LAST

11-29 @ Rising Phoenix Games, Cherry Valley, MA

The only deck I got built is kingdra so I decide to use it for citys saturday and sunday. I tech in dusknoir saturday and my only lost waz to Gigas. The next day I decide to tech in Alakazam seeing Regigigas was my only loss. After the awsome teching I did for Regigigas I still lost because I couldnt have gotten it out early enough. Heres what happend!

Round 1 - Kingdra
She goes first with baltoy and passes. I start with uxie and play horsea on my bench then roseannes for two uxies and warp point. I play the uxies and hit candy and Kindra to Turn 1 her. 1-0

Round 2 - I forgot
I have no clue who I played this round but I won. 2-0

Round 3 - Regigigas
I never faced this deck before or even knew what it did. The match was pretty tight with prizes. We both had 1-1 prizes but he palkia'd for his last prize. 2-1

Round 4 - Gengar
Before we began the game after he set his prizes I noticed his red/orange sleeves were see-thru and on the top of his deck was a japenese card back and 5 out of 6 of the cards in his hand had the english back. I know this guy from league so I know he wasnt trying to cheat but I decided to call the judge over just to be on the safe side. The judge made a ruling on my opponent that stated "he had marked sleeves and there is a penalty of that that results into a game loss!" :(
3-1 *We played for fun after this game and I started with unknown g and lost 0 to 2 on prizes*

Round 5 - Tyranitar
I got setup turn two and he got two tyranitars out mid game. They didnt do much because I was able to one shot them with aqua stream and dragon pump with 3 plus powers to the other. 4-1

Round 6 - MagKiss
I got turn 1 kingdra and swept his deck. I used two warp points in a row to knock out his togepis to completely make the match in my favor and give em no chance.
5-1

Top 8 - Infernape SF
Game 1 - I got my swarm going and as soon as he missed his moltres and infernapes 2nd or 3rd coin flips the match wrapped up. 5-1
Game 2 - We both had madd dumb slow setups and got setup turn 5 to turn 7 I cant really remember. I remember taking the first prize but as he did in the first game he hit the infernape coin flip to get right back into the game. His 2nd and 3rd Infernape he flipped tails on. His Moltres he also flipped tails on. He ended up scooping. 6-1

Top 4 - Kingdra
Game 1- I went first and had duskull shining in my hand and uxie active. I attached and didnt play duskull on the bench because I figured he would need rare candy + kingdra + warp point + plus power or bucks to really donk me. My hand was horrible so I decided to not play a bench and he ended up doing my planned out move. 6-1
Game 2 - He opens with baltoy and im second. I start with horsea and rare candy into kingdra to Turn 1 him. 6-1
Game 3 - I remember he started to setup and my setup was shaky and slow. He played 5 bench and I was stunned. On my turn I rare candied into Dusknoir and took over. 7-1

Finals - Regigigas
Game 1 - We setup and I get a turn two kingdra. He gets a turn two Regigigas Lv.X with 4 energys. Late game I have 1 prize to his 2. I havent used any warp point and a damaged cresselia lv.x and uxie is sitting on his bench. I have uxie lv.x on my bench with two energys. I claydol for 4 and still no warp point, I then claydol for 3 no warp point, and I then do 2 pokedexs and whiff. He retreats and does full moon dance for two prizes to win the game. 7-1
Game 2 - He opens with baltoy and im second. He plays no bench and im trying everything to turn 1 him. I burned pokedexs, roseannes, two uxies, and I hit the candy but missed on the kingdra. After I do horseas 2nd attack, he plays bench and starts to setup. My setup fell after that and I think he swept 0-3 on prizes. 7-2

11-30 @ Batter Up, Tewksbury, MA

I play Kingdra again

Round 1 - Salamence
I remember starting with Uxie and doing T2 Uxie Lv.X for 60 onto her baltoy which I warp pointed. When she got salamence out she couldnt attack because I didnt have my kingdras out. When her salamence had no energys on it I striked with a kingdra and swept the match. 1-0

Round 2 - Regigigas
I got my usual T1 Kingdra to his shaky setup. He was a new player so his decklist wasnt as boss as the other Regigigas decks I played. I saw gliscar and heatran in his deck which didnt due anything to my kingdra because unknown g. I shut off his regigigas lv.xs poke power when he got it out with alakazam. 2-0

Round 3 - Raichu
He opens with pikachu and I T1 him with Kingdra & Plus Power. 3-0

Round 4 - Regigigas
Against regigigas you have to Knock Out a Lv.X or you cant win. In my experience from the tournament before usually the regigigas player sacks 3 prizes vs. kingdra. So when you take out 1 lv.x you attempt to steal 1-2 prizes off their bench. I couldnt get KO his lv.x therefor couldnt draw enough prizes to win. The day before I remember my opponent using Cresselia and Spiritomb on me. This player used Mespirit with a poke power that caused problems for my uxie and claydol and then he just sacrificed it with the lv.x. That combo I was jocking in my head all day. I think I lost 0-3 on prizes. 3-1

Round 5 - Spread
I T1 donked his snover! 4-1

Top 4 - Raichu
Game 1 - I got a quick start koing his pokemon left and right and he had a key comeback move if he got a raichu off a dusk ball but failed and scooped. 5-1
Game 2 - Finally a match where my alakazam was key. I remember early game he got claydol out early and I was able to shut it off by T4 consistantly after he got his 2nd claydol out he started to comeback. My last 3 prizes were 2 kingdras and a night maintenance. I played a warp point and he brung up a raichu with 7 on it. I then brung up uxie and got night maintenance as a prize. I got 2 more kingdras going after that and won. If he would have brung out a pokemon I couldnt have koed off my warp point I would have lost. 5-1

Finals - Regigigas
Game 1 - This deck is the only deck im losing to and its really aggrevating! I teched Alakazam vs. it and even that wasnt working. This game was really close I remember misplaying by thinking he had a bucks training when he played a key warp point and I brung up a kingdra with 7 on it instead of one with 2. He koes it and warp points for the win next turn. I lost 1-0 on prizes. 5-2
Game 2 - My setup was madd bad yo. I remember top decking like a beast after the Multiple KO line my pokemon were put in by his tank gigas. As good as the top decks were I still lost 0-4 on prize cards. 5-2

Gino Lombardi

Last edited:
Gino -

Excellent report! Not a bad weekend playing your big blue Sea Horse!! :smile:
Round 4 - Gengar
Before we began the game after he set his prizes I noticed his red/orange sleeves were see-thru and on the top of his deck was a japenese card back and 5 out of 6 of the cards in his hand had the english back. I know this guy from league so I know he wasnt trying to cheat but I decided to call the judge over just to be on the safe side. The judge made a ruling on my opponent that stated "he had marked sleeves and there is a penalty of that that results into a game loss!" :(
3-1 *We played for fun after this game and I started with unknown g and lost 0 to 2 on prizes*
I have pasted in the relevant recommended penalties for marked cards. As you said above and I said when making the ruling, there was NO evidence AT ALL to suggest cheating. My goal is that we can resolve these finer points of Pokemon Rules before we hit the big stage of Nats and Worlds. My personal goal is to provide education with every ruling so that folks from the NE can play flawlessly. Never to loose on a ruling but to win or loose at the table - like it should be.

Oh, and also, I meant what I said. You asking questions about card interplays and interpretations make me (we) think more and become better judges.

PokeDaddy
----------------------------------------------
7.2. Marked Cards
Cards in a player’s decks that are clearly distinguishable from other cards in the deck are called
marked.
A variety of conditions can cause the cards in a player’s deck to become marked. Because
marked cards can give a player foresight into the next card that he or she will draw, the contents of
his or her deck, or the location of a specific card in the player’s deck, marked cards cannot be
allowed in a player’s deck at a sanctioned Pokémon TCG event. If the problem is caught during deck
checks prior to the start of the event, these errors can be corrected without issuing a penalty.
Players are always responsible for the condition of their cards and

7.2.2. Major
This penalty applies to a player who has marked cards or sleeves and there is a noticeable
pattern. Because the possibility for a player to gain an advantage is high, the penalties associated
with this category are more severe. Further investigation may be required to determine if the
markings are intentional. If this proves to be the case, the penalty should be escalated to
Unsporting Conduct: Cheating, and the appropriate action should be taken.
Examples of Marked Cards: Major include:
• Thumb marks along the backs of sleeves containing key cards in your deck.
• All of your Rare Candy cards are bent, allowing you to see which cards they are when the
deck is sitting flat.
• The sleeves on all of your basic Energy cards are slightly longer or wider than the rest of
the sleeves on your deck.
Recommended Starting Penalty:
Tier 1: Game Loss
Tier 2: Disqualification

REGIGIGAS!!!!! haha what a beast it is. I'm just waiting to see that 1-1 mewtwo lvl X in your deck (though I'll probably discard it off the top of your deck before you can play it. ;))

gino go log of the events, u forgot to mention how u busted me using cosmic power!:nonono:

nice playing i too couldnt believe gigas took citys twice...

Gino, I enjoy reading your reports and I look forward to the next one. Good job getting 2nd place at both. Now I need to go and have a look at this Regigigas card!:lol:

Nice job with Kingdra, showing that its still a threat after BR's....but Gigas? Seriously what was he even using?

Not a bad weekend playing your big blue Sea Horse!! :smile:
Yeah I gotta get some brown sleeves soon because im calling the deck Chocolate Rain but I wouldnt have thought of sea horse.

Brady1- Yeah im putting back in my cresselia like I originally had it and Im adding a 4th warp point for that matchup. It was fun playing with dusknoir and alakazam tho. U going next week?

Young_Conover- I have KINGDRA aka Chocolate Rain but the updated version.

Magnechu- O mah bad son. No wonder i didnt hit it.

prof unky dan- Yeah I was playing right next to you guys. I remember tyler saying mespirit no powers and then u were like so that means I cant use claydol and hes like yeah. Then u draw and say cosmic power and he allows it. That was really awkard I had to point it out to u and tyler becuz u coulda prob got a GL and im not so sure about tylers penalty, Im glad it was reverseable.

PokemansForGeeks- Even though I lost to it repeatedly I completly understand how to outplay it. I shouldnt have trouble with in the future. I made some adjustments to my decklist that will assist me of bossing on that tank.

Pokeric- Uxie, Mespirit, Spiritomb, Lunatone, Azelf, Cresselia, and Unknown G that ive seen it with.

Quick question. In your 12-7 tournament Round 2 you state that you "Play the game out and won, but scooped any way." In MN our judges have stated that scooping for any reason is Collusion and that you can be DQ'd or even Banned for this.

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Quick question. In your 12-7 tournament Round 2 you state that you "Play the game out and won, but scooped any way." In MN our judges have stated that scooping for any reason is Collusion and that you can be DQ'd or even Banned for this.

Am I missing something here?

Yes you are missing something here. Beating someone and then scooping to them because you could care less about win or lose isnt collusion. Collusion is like when someone bribes you to give them the win or a prize. I remember hearing about some kid from mexico bribing some kid at a states over the $300 check because he wasnt a US citizen. He got banned but he was using bribery. My opponent didnt give me anything nor did I gain anything except a loss.

I remember last year when some kid won like three citys and scooped to this kid in the finals because he already won 3 citys and didnt need a 4th. It shows really good sportsmanship and having fun more then anything. I already have my worlds invite so I really dont need to beat everyone up in citys. This is leaned more towards SOTG in my oppinion. Unless you could pull out the actual rule of collusion then im pretty sure your wrong.

Gino-

Sorry if you feel that I was implying you were doing something wrong. I was just looking for clarification in the rules. My understanding was that if it was predetermined who would win a match that it was collusion. Scooping after winning the match makes it sound predetermined.

I understand that you already have your World's Invite and do not really care about your rating, but does it show SOTG when you only scoop to some peole but not to others?

I have spoken with a local PTO about what happened in MN and think that I have now have a better understanding.

Thanks for the reply.

Back