Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gothitelle EP + Gardevoir ND?

Tentacruel13

Gardevoir from Next Destines ability is "Each basic :psychic: Enery attached to your :psychic: Pokemon provides :psychic::psychic: Energy". Gothitell from Emerging Power's attack "Madkinesis" does 30+ each :psychic: Energy attached to it. This gives it a base damamge of 90 for 3:psychic: or 150 with Gardevoir's ability. Also it could do 110 for 2:psychic:. Been out of the game for a while but would this make for a good deck?

In theory, yes, this would be amazing.

However, there is one HUGE wrench thrown into the cogs when you realize we also have Mewtwo EX. He will always KO your Gothitelle, thus invalidating your one bonus, that being trainer lock. Sure, you could - at least in theory - set up another Gothitelle and KO Mewtwo back, but they'll just drop a second Mewtwo and KO Gothitelle. Gothitelle, being a Stage 2, simply can't handle that kind of trade.

TL;DR, Mewtwo EX exists. So Goth is pretty much useless.

Goth can use Mewtwo ex easier than a lot of other things, and emwtwo ex is the ebst Mewtwo counter. It also has the option to go for Goth and ko a Mewtwo without giving up 2 prizes and to imposse trainer lock. It's done decently in some testing my friend has done,b ut you need to be running a Mewtwo of your own. He's been trying Levanny and it works sometimes.

Last edited:
Hi

Gothitelle is worth of 1 Prize and Mewtwo EX is worth of 2 Prizes
But still we need to remember that Mewtwo EX is basic and could doing very fast few Prizes agains Gothitelle... You get newer gothitelle in play with easy because could OHKO all Gothita´s early

So Gothitelle may be useless

I'm not fully convinced that Goth will be killed due to Mewtwo EX. Goth could tech in Leavanny to counter Mewtwo and Goth yields less prizes than Mewtwo.

Yeah so then goth only needs: Gothitelle/Reuniclus/Gardevoir/Leavanny, everyone knows how well 4 stage 2's work. or even 3 if you're suggesting removing reuniclus which would be silly.

Hi

Yeah so then goth only needs: Gothitelle/Reuniclus/Gardevoir/Leavanny, everyone knows how well 4 stage 2's work. or even 3 if you're suggesting removing reuniclus which would be silly.

I don´t think Gardevoir must be in Goth but still it has 3 stage 2´s

As far as I'm concerned you play either Goth/Reuniclus or Goth/Gardey not both, and Leavanny would be a small line anyway.

Mewtwo 170HP (190 with Eviolite)

Gothitelle 130HP

Gothitelle has 2 energy on it with Gardevior and Levanny in play. Gothitelle does 30 + (20*[2*2]) = 110 * 2 (weakness) for 220 on Mewtwo EX. OHKO regardless of any factors, minus Eviolite + 2 defenders.

A Mewtwo EX is dropped, DCE, goes to do first attack. 20*2 (for mewtwo + 20*(2*2 due to Gardevior) = 40+80=120. No weakness due to Levanny. Mewtwo EX needs 3 energy or a plus power to OHKO Gothitelle.

Unless the Mewtwo EX player plays Gardevior themselves, then sure, the match may be in their favor. But all the decks just tech'ing Mewtwo doesn't have the OHKO if the Gothitelle player is playing Levanny unless they also Plus Power.

Of course it does take time to setup 3 stage 2s. With Pokemon Catcher, it is even harder.

But, from a mathmatical standpoint, Gothitelle w/ Levanny has the advantage OHKO-wise and prize-wise.

In my opinion, I may discard Levanny all together and just got for a quicker Goth/Gard deck that focuses on setting up Goths with 2 energy for the easy OHKO on Mewtwos. They lose 3 mewtwos, game over. You lose 3 gothitelles and the battle is only half over.

Hi

Mewtwo 170HP (190 with Eviolite)

Gothitelle 130HP

Gothitelle has 2 energy on it with Gardevior and Levanny in play. Gothitelle does 30 + (20*[2*2]) = 110 * 2 (weakness) for 220 on Mewtwo EX. OHKO regardless of any factors, minus Eviolite + 2 defenders.

A Mewtwo EX is dropped, DCE, goes to do first attack. 20*2 (for mewtwo + 20*(2*2 due to Gardevior) = 40+80=120. No weakness due to Levanny. Mewtwo EX needs 3 energy or a plus power to OHKO Gothitelle.

Unless the Mewtwo EX player plays Gardevior themselves, then sure, the match may be in their favor. But all the decks just tech'ing Mewtwo doesn't have the OHKO if the Gothitelle player is playing Levanny unless they also Plus Power.

Of course it does take time to setup 3 stage 2s. With Pokemon Catcher, it is even harder.

But, from a mathmatical standpoint, Gothitelle w/ Levanny has the advantage OHKO-wise and prize-wise.

In my opinion, I may discard Levanny all together and just got for a quicker Goth/Gard deck that focuses on setting up Goths with 2 energy for the easy OHKO on Mewtwos. They lose 3 mewtwos, game over. You lose 3 gothitelles and the battle is only half over.

Mewtwo needs 3 energies because that player is in Trainer Lock, he or she can´t play PlusPower

Gothitelle is pretty dead guys, it may have a little bit of a chance playing Mewtwo EX, if you're lucky, but it's not worth the risk.

Gothitelle has never been a good deck. If your opponent gets out a vileplume you lose. If your opponent plays mew, you lose. If your opponent plays mewtwo (which might happen here and there), you lose.

Gothitelle has never been a good deck. If your opponent gets out a vileplume you lose. If your opponent plays mew, you lose. If your opponent plays mewtwo (which might happen here and there), you lose.

As an ex-Gothiclus player, I feel the need to remind you that in the HS-EP format, if your opponent played almost anything you didn't list, the Goth player won. However, this isn't the HS-EP format, and there's a reason I called myself an EX-Gothiclus player.

Gotitelle is not dead because of Mewtwo, as Leavanny could be teched it. The bigger issue comes from Zekrom + Reshiram EX.

Plus... what is the OP looking for? Tentacruel13 asked for a "good deck". Not very descriptive. It could be a good "fun" deck, a good "intricate" deck, or a good "competitive" deck... or a combination of those.

If you're keeping track of your thread Tentacruel13, you've heard the current general opinion: Gothitelle suffers because using the old formula (e.g. with Reuniclus) you can no longer safely "tank": the new Pokemon EX seem to ensure the average deck will have an answer. Using it with the new Gardevoir may or may not work. The bad news is Mewtwo EX (which is street legal what, in two days?) will soon be everywhere, because it is

a) a popular pseudo-Legendary Pokemon
b) has been a powerhouse in the TCG's past
c) is actually a strong card
d) was all over the Japanese metagame in a similar period

If every competitive player can run even a single copy, it creates an easy to run/search counter for Gothitelle decks since such decks need to throw up even an underpowered Gothitelle ASAP to begin the Trainer lock. So even with a TecH copy of Mewtwo EX you have to rush two opening Gothitelle: one as a sacrifice and one to follow up with and KO the Mewtwo EX. If the opponent runs multiple Mewtwo EX it increases the chance of eventually breaking the lock, but at a huge Prize cost. The important thing here is that the Mewtwo EX aren't being run as a Gothitelle counter, but for other reasons.

I wouldn't write Gothitelle off yet: someone who gives up four Prizes (two Mewtwo EX) having had a single turn to use actual Trainers to "break" the Gothitelle lock is begging for the Gothitelle player to turn around and take two quick Prizes with the Gothitelle player's own Mewtwo EX. I think it is more decks that already did well against Gothitelle just got a generic "power card" that happens to put Gothitelle at an even greater disadvantage.

Leavanny in Goth = Another Stage 2 in Goth = Very very slow and fragile deck.

IMO, for Goth to win againist Mewtwo EX, Goth must attach energies very quickly, because Mewtwo is much more quick in terms of energy cost for its attack and it's a basic. Only Electrode can help with this, i think, and it is unreliable. If Mewtwo EX comes to counter your Mewtwo, then the lock is broken, and whole deck idea isn't working.

Another thing that has already being said, are EXs that do 130+ damage, because Goth can't attach Eviolite to itself and it relies on enduring 120- damage attacks to keep the lock.

Maybe some great existing Gothitelle players, if they exist, can come up with a counter, but I don't see Goth as a competitive deck anymore with Mewtwo in over half of decks.

Leavanny in Goth = Another Stage 2 in Goth = Very very slow and fragile deck.

Those advocating it seem to plan on dropping a Stage 2 line from established Gothitelle decks. Still I agree it might be too risky. Even without the need for more room I wonder if Reuniclus is worth playing in post Next Destinies Gothitelle builds: many of the Pokemon EX threaten to OHKO Gothitelle with enough time. Mewtwo EX is just the one that requires the least set-up.

IMO, for Goth to win againist Mewtwo EX, Goth must attach energies very quickly, because Mewtwo is much more quick in terms of energy cost for its attack and it's a basic. Only Electrode can help with this, i think, and it is unreliable. If Mewtwo EX comes to counter your Mewtwo, then the lock is broken, and whole deck idea isn't working.

Gothitelle actually has other options besides Electrode (well, one other option) but I don't think you shouldn't write Electrode off too quickly. You never mention the new Gardevoir anywhere in your post. With the two working together, Gothitelle is quite likely to power-up fast. A Gothitelle with no Energy at all at the beginning of the turn just needs you to manually attach one Psychic Energy to Gothitelle and then for Electrode to hit one basic Psychic Energy with its Energymite Poke-Power. Thanks to Gardevoir's Psychic Mirage Ability, Gothitelle will have an effective :psychic::psychic::psychic::psychic: attached.

If you only have part of the combo, the rest can pick up some of the slack: if you have one Energy already attached to Gothitelle from a previous turn, then your manual attachment (as long as at least one of the two Energy cards attached was a basic Psychic Energy card) and Psychic Mirage get it to the minimum three Energy it needs to attack. If you can for some reason attach no manual Energy, you just need to hit two off the Energymite, and if you lack Gardevoir in play again you just need to hit an extra Energy or two on the Energymite. It is possible for all of these to fail you, but unlikely.

Unless Gothitelle is poorly translated and the combo in question doesn't work, then Gothitelle with two actual basic Psychic Energy attached (thus counting as :psychic::psychic::psychic::psychic: due to Psychic Mirage) OHKO's a Mewtwo EX even if it has Eviolite: base damage of 30 points plus 80 points of damage (20 per :psychic: Energy) is 110 points of damage, and doubled (thanks to Mewtwo EX being :psychic: Weak) comes to 220 points of damage.

Against a dedicated Mewtwo EX deck, yes the situation is grim: Mewtwo EX probably took a Prize already and you gave up a Prize for Electrode. Then again, if your Electrode hits a lot of Energy with Energymite and your deck is well made, you may have another Pokemon or two already powered-up. Quite frankly any deck that is at least mostly Psychic Weak is going to struggle against Mewtwo EX focused decks. Still if you can take them down fast, the two or three Gothitelle and Electrode you lose will nicely set-up for your own Mewtwo EX to finish the job. Breaking the "Item lock" doesn't matter if it is the turn you win on, and odds are isn't too bad if it is the turn before you win.

Against decks that just run Mewtwo EX because it is a good, generic attacker, like I said it is all about luck. If the Gothitelle player has a poor set-up and his/her opponent opens with Mewtwo EX, it is probably a fast loss for the Gothitelle player, but this is true of many decks in general. On the other hand if player opposite the Gothitelle player isn't careful, their TecH Mewtwo EX or pair of Mewtwo EX go down fast and suddenly they can't use Items and are down in Prizes, with an opponent's Mewtwo EX waiting for the chance when it can push for the win.

I know I have gone on at length, but that was a single possible Energy acceleration idea. If you don't mind flips, there is Jirachi with Stardust Song and Time Hollow. Time Hollow isn't all that useful once you've got the Item lock going, but you never know when a mass Devolution can win you the game. Again if you're partnering this card with Gardevoir, you just need a single Psychic Energy in the discard pile and a single Psychic Energy in your hand, and either Shaymin or Energy Switch. Okay, and at least one heads. Maybe not the most reliable, but if your deck already runs Junk Arm, fitting in a single Jirachi and a single Energy Switch might not be a bad idea alongside another Energy acceleration trick.

Lastly, while it won't be for what, another two sets, in Japan it looks like EXP. Share was reprinted. That may be all Gothitelle needs if it is paired up with Gardevoir, and again a TecH copy or two may be all that is needed. Even if all these Energy acceleration tricks sound bad, Gardevoir itself shouldn't sound bad at all; if you can save your manual Energy attachment to Gothita turn 1 from going to waste, the second manual Energy attachment still gets Gothitelle (that you Evolve Gothita into via Rare Candy) ready to hit hard second turn.

Another thing that has already being said, are EXs that do 130+ damage, because Goth can't attach Eviolite to itself and it relies on enduring 120- damage attacks to keep the lock.

That is how the deck worked in the past, yes. That doesn't mean the deck has to rely on this feature exclusively, or indeed at all. If you have a follow up Gothitelle ready before your opponent's next turn (since even if they KO your current Gothitelle, you've got a turn to set-up a replacement before said opponent can use Items) the lock remains. If Gothitelle can become a fast, hard attacker even if it gets taken out after a turn or two, you can keep the pressure on to win. Also, there is always Defender unless your opponent also has an Item Lock going.

Maybe some great existing Gothitelle players, if they exist, can come up with a counter, but I don't see Goth as a competitive deck anymore with Mewtwo in over half of decks.

You see it as a Basic that can easily OHKO a Gothitelle, and it is, but I also see it as a basic that can be easily OHKOed by a Gothitelle for two Prizes.

I am not really expecting the deck to thrive, but I also won't write it off completely. At the very least it might luck into being so stupid it works. You know, when everyone forgets to plan for a deck that "no one in his/her right mind would run" and then... someone runs it. It is less likely since Mewtwo EX can be an effective counter against it, but if people don't play that right, it backfires. If they aren't prepared for Trainer denial and don't play their Mewtwo EX right, a skilled player with a revised Gardevoir/Gothitelle deck could go all the way to first place.

Back