Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BW-on Hammertime BW8

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcxd999

Hammertime deck is a pretty good deck to play and now with the release of Hypnotoxic Laser and Virbank City Gym, this deck could actually hold it's own against Rayeels and maybe Landorus/Mewtwo.

Darkrai Ex x 4
Sableye x 4
Keldeo x 1

Pokemon: 9

Colress x 3
N x 3
Skyla x 3
Professor Juniper x 2

Supporters: 11

Gold Potion x 1
Pokemon Catcher x 4
Hypnotoxic Laser x 4
Virbank City Gym x 2
Crushing Hammer x 4
Enhanced Hammer x 4
Ultra Ball x 3
Dark Patch x 4
Energy Switch x 4

Trainers: 30

:dark:Darkness Energy x 10:dark:

Energy: 10

This deck works just like the original Hammertime in every way with almost no differences. I chose Gold Potion over Computer Search because Gold Potion pretty much says to your opponent, "you didn't attack last turn". Computer Search is only for early game but if you're used to playing Hammertime you should have all the cards you need in your discard pile, ready for Sableye to get them out. Enhanced Hammer is for when going up against decks like Hydregion/Darkrai that need special energy. If you play this deck right, you should have at least 1 Darkrai set up by T2.

Nice decklist. Indeed, the HtLs and VCGs have made this a much stronger deck.

Just out of curiosity, how many times, on average, would you say you mulligan (out of 20 games)? I tend to lean strongly towards a minimum of 11 Poké just so that I can help minimize my mulligans (hate giving my opponent extra cards at the beginning of the game).

Why not max-out Ns to disrupt your opponent's hand that she/he may have some extra cards from your potential mulligans?

You have only 8 card draw Supporters. Are you finding that number to be sufficient for you?

What's your counter to an opponent's Sigilyph (other than Catchering around it which may not work if he/she is ahead on prizes and she/he has only Sigilyphs in play)?

Lastly, why no Dark Claw?

Forgive my several questions, but I'm trying to better understand your thoughts behind your deck - which will be well represented at the upcoming State tournaments, IMHO.

Suggestions to consider:

-2 Colress. Would you really fill your bench (e.g., with "low" HP Sableye) just to draw extra cards?
-1 Crushing Hammer, *
-2 Enhanced Hammer, *
-1 Hypnotoxic Laser, *
-1 Energy Switch. * - These you can easily just Junk Hunt back.

+3 Bianca. Compliments the hand depletion of Ultra Balls and gives you more card draw support.
+1 N. To maximize opportunities to disrupt opponent's hand and more card draw support.
+2 Dark Claw. The extra 20 damage will be amazing along with HtL's poision.
+1 Ultra Ball. These should be maxed out, IMHO, to help get needed D energy into the discard pile early, as well as give you maximum opportunities to get needed Poké.

When I played the original list, the most I ever mulliganed was twice. The average mulligans out of 20 games for this deck is 0.5. the original list need about 11 draw supporters but this list only needs 8. Once you've got Darkrai and Sableye on the field, you should be drawing a needed card per turn. I doubt that Quad Sigilyph or Sigilyph, will be a problem. Sigilyph has since died down cause of all the cards that counter it. Cobalion Ex, Terrakion, Blastoise, Sigilyph, etc. If I do have to battle a Sigilyph, Hypnotoxic Laser takes care of it, I didn't include Dark Claw as I see it as unneeded thanks to Hypnotoxic Laser and besides, people can just use tool scrapper to get rid of it unlike Hypnotoxic Laser. I agree with taking Colress out but the other changes are unneeded. Thanks for commenting.

Hammertime is too legit to quit :biggrin:

I buddy of mine is making a cheaper version of Hammertime with Drifblim. Balloon Hammer, GO!

Yeah but he is really low budget. The only time he can actually buy cards is at a prerelease. Often times I loan him stuff just so he can get a good deck going. So i support Ballon Hammers.

I too am all for making do with what you got.

Another deck that seems fun with hammers is Ninetails-Beam

Cheap and fun, once HTL is paid for (lol)

I am a huge proponent of Dark Claw for Darkrai because, hey, it gets the OHKO much better-
for example, if you hit a Blastoise with Dark claw attached and used HTL beforehand, the KO is yours. To a more drawn-out extent, the same works VS Keldeo or any other 170 hp Pokeymon.

@ Fox Master51: Oh, I didn't realize that your friend had a small budget. Sorry about that.
@ pnoodle5: Yeah I might actually add 2 Dark claw to the deck.
Changes:

- Crushing Hammer x 1
- Enhanced Hammer x 1

+ Dark Claw x 2

Glad to see you decided to add the Dark Claws - they'll prove to be quite beneficial.

Have you playtested against a Landorus-Mewwo-Tornadus deck yet? I'm finding this to be a really tough matchup, especially when my opponent starts with a Lando. Hammers don't have an early significant impact, since my opponent only needs 1 F energy to attack. And these decks typically run HtLs and VCGs too; so, I'm taking poison damage as much as I'm inflicting.

In response, I have been experimenting with an Ether-engine for energy-attachment acceleration. Have you tried this at all? if so, thoughts? Thanks.

@ TuxedoBlack: No, I haven't battled a Landorus/Mewtwo/Tornadus deck yet. Out all the 50 people I see at my tournament each week, about 1/5 have the cards to build the deck but around our area Landorus is more of a folder card and is used for trading.

3 things

1) This is auto lose to Klinklang decks
2) Colress is not good in a deck to where your forcing yourself to bench everything
3) Cut down Energy Switch, Enhanced hammer (seriously 4 of these is overkill), and a Darkrai (you really dont need 4) and add in more Junipers, Ns and Dark Claws (this deck looks to push for damage). It will run more smoothly and you wont be so dependent on luck to win games.

3 things

Not necessarily: Darkrai can get more energy into play faster to KO the Klinks. And if the Klinks don't survive, Klinklangs can not get into play.

3 things
...you wont be so dependent on luck to win games.
I don't know much "luck" (each game has about 25% of luck, IMHO) you are referring to, but Darkrai variants are still considered to be tier 1 decks; and with HtLs and VCGs, the deck has become stronger. On the other hand, the Klinklang player MUST get both Klinklangs into play to be most effective. To get 2 stage 2 Poké into play consistently requires more "luck" than getting a fully powered Darkrai attacking by turn 2 - again IMHO.

@ TuxedoBlack: No, I haven't battled a Landorus/Mewtwo/Tornadus deck yet. Out all the 50 people I see at my tournament each week, about 1/5 have the cards to build the deck but around our area Landorus is more of a folder card and is used for trading.
Wow, that's amazing since LMT is considered to be a tier 1 deck. As you prepare for your State tournament, I'd suggest you playtest against that deck. It's really good.

Last edited:
3 things

2) Colress is not good in a deck to where your forcing yourself to bench everything
3) Cut down Energy Switch, Enhanced hammer (seriously 4 of these is overkill), and a Darkrai (you really dont need 4) and add in more Junipers, Ns and Dark Claws (this deck looks to push for damage). It will run more smoothly and you wont be so dependent on luck to win games.

1)You got your first answer wrong. This deck is more at a advantage when battling Klinklang then other Ex decks because Hammertime now can run Hypnotoxic Laser and Virbank City Gym which Klinklang needs to waste switches while Sableye helps get out unlimited Catchers and Hypnotoxic Laser.
2) Colress is good in this deck. Benching as many Pokemon as you need comes in handy when you use Colress as your drawing a lot more cards than N and Juniper.
3) You really LOVE giving bad advice, don't you? Energy Switch is part of the decks consistency so, you failed there. Enhanced Hammer x 4 helps in the consistency of getting them and the destroy special energy using decks like Hydregion/Darkrai. This card is also a great counter to Klinklang if they've chosen to run something other than steel types, so you messed this answer up as well.
All in all, you didn't give 1 piece of helpful advice, only criticism which I had to throw back at you. Next time you post, can you at least force yourself to say something that might be helpful?

1)You got your first answer wrong. This deck is more at a advantage when battling Klinklang then other Ex decks because Hammertime now can run Hypnotoxic Laser and Virbank City Gym which Klinklang needs to waste switches while Sableye helps get out unlimited Catchers and Hypnotoxic Laser.
2) Colress is good in this deck. Benching as many Pokemon as you need comes in handy when you use Colress as your drawing a lot more cards than N and Juniper.
3) You really LOVE giving bad advice, don't you? Energy Switch is part of the decks consistency so, you failed there. Enhanced Hammer x 4 helps in the consistency of getting them and the destroy special energy using decks like Hydregion/Darkrai. This card is also a great counter to Klinklang if they've chosen to run something other than steel types, so you messed this answer up as well.
All in all, you didn't give 1 piece of helpful advice, only criticism which I had to throw back at you. Next time you post, can you at least force yourself to say something that might be helpful?

Are you posting to get feedback and suggestions or do you just want everyone to admire your deckbuilding skills? It would be very good if you could clarify in your original post so that you won't get annoyed with pesky suggestions if that's not what you want.

-Cory

Are you posting to get feedback and suggestions or do you just want everyone to admire your deckbuilding skills? It would be very good if you could clarify in your original post so that you won't get annoyed with pesky suggestions if that's not what you want.

-Cory

"deckbuilding skills"

Wow, why are you so offended by my simple advice? You should not even post decks if you dont want people to say anything about them and none of what I said was to be offensive so chill out.

This deck has no way of getting rid of Klinklang once its out. You need to play 1-2 Bouffants since if not your done. Your deck is too slow to outpace Klinklang, even with the acceleration you have no draw power.

Colress is not good in all these decks you keep putting it in. I bet your getting 2-3 cards every time you play it. Stop running it in decks where you run next to no Pokemon. N and Juniper make your deck a lot more consistent and reliable. Why even play situational draw power? N wins games, Juniper isnt a big deal since you play Sabeleye. I'm not even sure why you play it since you dont have to worry about returning cards in this deck and your never going to get more cards off it than Juniper so theres no real positive to playing it. Also your deck is not fast at grabbing pokemon like Rayquaza or Emploeon, you only run 3 Ultra Ball, and just by doing math your bound to have Pokemon prized. Most good players dont stack a bench since they dont mindlessly bench Random pokemon due to Catcher, so again I have no idea why you run this card in everything no less.

Finally, you run Sabeleye so you dont need to max out on energy switch. Same with Enhanced hammer. Its too much, your just asking for terrible hands all the time. Why even base a deck around Sabeleye if your not taking advantage of it?

So with all that said, stop acting like a **** and fix your deck if you want to get far in a big tournament. If not then thats not my problem. Im just trying to be helpful. Most of these decks you make have consistency issues since they usually lack supporters or max out cards you dont need to max out on. Unless your stacking your deck all the time or playing low level competition, I have no idea how you win.

Last edited:
The 3 Colress in this deck are a very bad choice. You don't draw much from it and dropping catcher bait is a bad idea. I would also take 2 Enhanced hammer out as the only special energy that can be accelerated is Plasma Energy and Lugia is only used as a late game sweeper and Colress machine are not used in those decks. You can always Junk Hunt for them as well. I would add 1 N and 2 Juniper, as you say that you will always have the cards you need in the discard, but you don't have much to discard with. I would also add 2 Dark Claw as the math of night spears works out perfectly!

Question, have you tested against Klinklang? I am just curious. That is my biggest fear with Darkrai/hammertime. I just want to hear it does well without a tech

Question, have you tested against Klinklang? I am just curious. That is my biggest fear with Darkrai/hammertime. I just want to hear it does well without a tech
I think the better question is whether he's tested this at all. The list is, to be blunt, bad.

Try This:

Darkrai Ex x 4
Sableye x 4
Keldeo x 1
Ultra Ball x 3

Pokemon: 12

N x 4
Skyla x 3
Professor Juniper x 4
Bianca x 2

Supporters: 13

Computer Search x 1