Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HGSS-on Trainer/Supporter Core Engines

Rogue Archetype

Moderator <br> Contest Host
It's time that we started discussing our CORE draw engines for HGSS-on.

After the rotation (whether July or Sept.), ALL of us will be scrambling to create new "core" engines for big basic, stage 2, disruption, and speed-draw decks.

a "core" engine is one where you have your "staples" all put together REGARDLESS of the pokes that you're going to use.

An example of a core Trainer/Supporter engine might be:

STAGE 2:

3 Collector
3 PETM
3 Communication
2 Switch
2 PONT
2 Twins
2 Seeker/SSU

Speed draw:

3 PONT
3 Juniper
2 Collector
2 Victory Medal
2 Copycat
2 Dual Ball

Big basics:

4 Collector
2 Interviewer´s
2 Communication
2 Switch
2 Seeker/SSU

Legends:

3 Legend Box
4 Pokemon Communication
2 Indigo Plateau
3 Collector
2 PETM
2 PONT/Juniper

Disruption decks:

4 Judge
3 Collector
3 Communication
2 PETM
3 Seeker
2 TRT (???)

I will continue to update this thread with suggested draw engines.

Last edited:
I would go for something like this:

Yanmega/Noctowl

4-4 Yanmega
4 Smeargle
4-4 Noctowl
2-2 Metapod
=24

4 Pokemon Collector
3 Pokemon Communication
3 Elm's Trainings Method
4 Plus Power
4 Judge
4 Copycat
4 Switch
2 Twins
=28

4 Rescue
4 DCE
=8

This should work fine =/
Darkmot.

Last edited:
I think there will be more emphasis on trading basics for evolutions with Pokemon Communication.

I think the decks that can take advantage of support Pokemon like Sunflora, Ninetails, etc, have a big advantage.

I'm betting that the start of every Trainer engine for the beginning of an HS-On format will be...
4 Collector
4 Communication

Collector is already maxxed in a ton of decks, and is a fantastic deck thinner to boot. Comm is the Bebe replacement, and it's quite effective considering that fast Trainer lock doesn't exist anymore.

Next, some of the Trainers I think will be useful in the format...

Dual Ball will find its way into a lot of decks. It's flippy, but it'll get you something approximately 75% of the time, and is combolicious with Communication.

Energy Exchanger should be played in decks that rely on Special Energy. Probably combo with something like Fisherman or the new Energy Retriever.

Junk Arm will always be useful in Trainer-centric engines, and combos well with Typhlosion and other cards that rely upon the Discard pile.

Breeder was a Stage 2 Staple before Candy came out. The new Candy will remain so.

As far as Supporters go...

Juniper will be tried by many, but will probably only be useful in a handfull of decks that also use Junk Arm.

Either Copycat or PONT will be the preferred draw engine for the paranoid.

Twins will always be useful.

Flower Shop Lady will be essential in 1s and 2s.

Judge is useful for either (a) fast decks or (b) disruption decks, where "fast" is redefined to mean turn 2-4, rather than turn 1.

Sage's Training is a reprinted Misty's Wrath. But it will not share her prevalence in the format. And Engineer is surpassed by Juniper for decks that like Engineer.

Not sure what the engine will look like, but those are the potential cards that will likely be in it.

Catcher is gonna be core. So will PONT and Junk Arm. Communication will go from being 2 or 3 to a deck to 3 or 4. Not sure about Juniper.

Copycat
PONT
Are our hand refreshers
Prof. juniper Will be good too.
Most decks will either need a good engine like ninetails or sunflora or have a good pokemon to set up with like skarmory.
The problem is there is no meta game and all decks now are completly different than the ones before.

I'm just going to point out, for all clamoring to find the next big Pokemon-based engine...

Up until the DP era, there have only ever been two purely Pokemon-based draw/search engines in the game.

The first was Pidgeot, the second was either Jirachi/Swoop or Magmar (depending on the definition).

How did we get our stuff done without our Uxies/Claydols?

TSS.

I'm betting that we see a new era of Trainermon hit the field. And I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

Cheren will be decent generic Supporter draw if we get it in B&W 2. Just draw 3 cards. No downside.

Right now, I'm limiting myself only to cards that we know exist. Cheren will be great to have, but I think he'll be overshadowed by the shuffle/draw and search already out. Not to mention Juniper.

4 Pokemon Collector
2-4 Smeargle
4 Pokemon Communication
3 Seeker
2 PONT
2 Twins
1-3 Black Belt

^ Nice.

Apart from the illegal VS Seeker.

Good point, I thought it was gone =/

Black belt is going to become a staple. I'd play minimum 1, maximum 3. The card really is good. Just as an example, I was able to top cut and take control of many matchups, including

Charizard (belted zard has 160, the look on her face when I black belted...)
Dialga G X(2x sp metal and belt, thing was a TANK. Black belt :))
Steelix (Black belted Drag off, never saw it comin)

I mean, when your opponent knows you play it, they'll go out of their way to not take prizes so that they don't lose their main attacker.

Yeah, with Expert Belt and Crobats out, I think most decks will run at least 1 Black Belt to grab a key KO if down on prizes.

No reason not to.

I'd probably switch the PONT spots in your list to "PONT/Copycat", as I know that debate is going to start up in earnest again. Otherwise, not bad, bro.

STAGE 2:
4 Pokemon Collector
4 Pokemon Communication
2 Dual Ball
3 Junk Arm
2-3 PONT/Copycat
2 Black Belt
2-4 Twins
2-4 Rare Candy
2 Flower Shop Lady
1-4 PETM

SPEED DRAW:
4 Prof. Juniper
4 Twins
2-3 PONT/Copycat(all I got for that...)

BIG BASICS:
3 Twins
2-4 Black Belt
4 Revive
2 Flower Shop Lady
4 Pokemon Collector
4 Dual Ball
3 Seeker
3-4 SSU
2-3 PONT/Copycat

LEGENDS:
2-4 Legend Box
3 Twins
2 Flower Shop Lady
4 Pokemon Collector
4 Pokemon Communication
2-4 Junk Arm

DISRUPTION DECKS:
4 Judge
2-4 Twins
3-4 Team Rocket's Trickery ((again, all I can really think of))

Back