Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How to build a successful SP Pokemon Deck

Bippa201

Introduced in Platinum, SP pokemon (Special) add a new layer to the metagame by creating quick and fast decks. Here I hope that those of you intrested, learn how to make a good SP-Pokemon deck. I will also make references to the next set: Bonds to the End of Time.

Starters
SP Decks are supposed to be quick off the go. But there are three cards that offer a quick set-up that can lead to a quicker defeat for your opponent.

Weavile G
Those of us who play Eeveelutions know what Call for Family is. Weavile's version lets you search your deck for any 2 SP pokemon and place them on your bench. Weavile can then continue the assult by using its second attack after you have a full bench, and do 70 damage.

Honchkrow G
Honchkrow allows you to search for 2 very crucial cards, Galactic HQ and any Team Galactic Invention. Team Galactic Inventions allow you to one of 3 things (5 in Bonds). You can lower the energy costs by 1 Colorless Energy, Scoop Them up to fully heal them, or the big one, cancel their Pokepowers.

Sableye SF
Sableye may not help you with the inventions, but it can let you go first and grab a Cyrus's Conspiracy. Keep using other supporters, while using cards like SP Radar and Luxury Ball and you'll have a quick set up.

The Sweepers
After you're starter goes down, or they have complete their job, bring in the Sweeper. Using Team Galactic's Invention, you can attack for a lot of damage for little energy.

Luxray GL Lv. X
How many of you remember Gust of Wind? You also may know that 2 PokeBlowers creates a Gust of Wind. Well, Luxray's Pokepower is a gust of wind. It only works once, when it is Leveled Up, but you can use PokeTurn to keep using it over and over. It can also mimic the Stormfront Bibarel and do 60 for 2 energy.

Alakazam 4 Lv. X
Alakazam is a rather tricky attacker to work around. Just like in our games it can recover half of its HP. It also can heal itself by using its PokePower and completly heal it or anything else that is SP. It seems like a supporter and its attack only does 50 for 2, but the fact that it bypasses Resistance allows it do deal a constant 50 to everything.

Gallade 4 Lv. X
Gallade 4 Lv. X is your answer to a counter for Dusknoir (should your opponent ever make it there). It can place 1 counter on all of your opponents Pokemon thus removing Ectoplasm, as Gallade deals it in a Power form (if it is the final blow). It also does 10 to anything on their bench with counters on them, so there is no hiding from Gallade.

Infernape 4 Lv. X
Everyone knows Infernape. This version can do 20 to two benched for 1 energy and do 50 to the defender for 2. And when it is Leveled up, it can do 100 for 3. You have to discard 2 Fire Energy, but Heatrran Lv. X can help with that. :smile:

Raichu GL
Raichu plays similar to Gallade, only it makes your opponent pay for using a big bench. It targets 2 of your opponents benched and does 10 each to them. Then next turn you are doing 50 to their active. It also doesn't require a Lv. X to be effective.

Dirfblim FB
Drifblim is a card that throws all the rules out the window. It spreads, FOR WEAKNESS. Its attack spreads 40 to one, but it can hit up to 80 with a Lake Boundary in play. Its power also allows it to gain 40 HP after your opponent has taken 3 prizes.

Blaziken FB Lv. X
Blaziken, after leveling up with an energy gain, can hit for 80 for one energy. It may take 40 more damage next turn, but it can still survive a hit. Like Infernape, it is weak to Water, but it doesn't have to rely on Heatran for energy.

Electivire FB Lv. X
Leafeon from Majestic Dawn was highly praised for extra energy attachment. Electivire triples Leafeons power. It does end your turn, however. But you're going to hit for big damage next turn and it is going to hurt.

The Support]
You have your starters, your sweeper, all now you need for your Pokemon selection is your support crew. Two of these are absolutely essential to victory, so they will be listed first.

Unown G
Lots of people tech this in vs Machamp. Here it is absolutely crucial to run at least 2 as your whole deck with be vulnerable vs Machamp. It also helps vs Dusknoir and Gengar.

Dialga G Lv. X
Mewtwo is the other potential counter to every SP deck out their. Since your whole deck is basic, you can't damage Mewtwo. Dialga G Lv. X shuts down Mewtwo's power, thus making it possible to damage it.

Porygon2
Porygon2 will allow you to play 2 supporters each turn. You can find 6 different cards with Cyrus, completely heal the with Bertha and a verity of other things,

Empoleon FB
Pulse of the Frontier released a new threat to SP decks. It is a big hitter however, and by using Empoleon you can remove all the energy it needs to attack. In a supporter heavy deck, Empoleon also shines by hitting for 70. Out of all general support, he is the best attacker which he needed to be.

Garchomp C Lv. X
Since you can't play Claydol in SP decks, Garchomp C is the card every SP deck needs. Simply by seeing the battlefield removes ALL DAMAGE COUNTERS from each of your SP pokemon. Cynthia sure owns one cool card.

I will be listing the remaining support for each sweeper.

Luxray's Support

Electrode G
Luxray's attack damage's someone on your bench, and damage Electrode. Next turn, bring it up and go BOOM causing 20 spread.

Quagsire GL
You won't ever attack with Quagsire, but Luxray's attack won't cause it any harm. I've received mixed views about Quagsire, but I think that as long as you avoid Quagsire's attack, you can just keep on smooth sailing.

Alakazam's Support

Gyarados G
How many of you remember Base Set Alakazam and Ericka's Dratini? You're doing something similar to that here. Gyarados has a lot of HP, 110 to be exact. Alakazam can keep moving counters onto Gyarados. When it gets too much, use Poketurn and repeat again.

Turtwig GL
Here you are sacrificing HP for speed. Put Turtwig active, move 3 counters on it and do 60 and heal 60. You'll play it almost like Gyarados except you'll actually attack with it.

Gallade's Support

Spiritomb LA
Spiritomb is essential in spread decks, which is what Gallade's best talent is. You place one counter down, Gallade places more on it. It's super simple to pull off.

Cresselia Lv. X
Cresselia's Full Moon dance offers a way to play similar to Alakazam, but you can damage your opponent now. You'll place counter after counter and before you know it, you've got all you're prizes.

Infernape's Support

Heatran Lv. X
I mentioned Heatean before, but it falls under support for Infernape so here you go. Heatran allows you to do 100 turn after turn which will wear your opponent down.

Rapidash 4
If you decide not to play Heatran, you can play Rapidash to recover those energies Infernape discards. It takes flips, but you'll bring back the energy for a successful kill. Don't ever attack with Rapidash though.

Raichu's Support

Giratina PT #10
With Giratina, you won't be using Raichu's first attack often. Using Giratina to attack the bench, and bring Raichu in and do up to 80 next turn. You can also add in the Lv. X for some Lost Zone action.

Other Supporters

Gliscor 4
Gliscor 4 can completely make a mess of your opponent with a simple flip. Heads, they take 40 damage. Tails, they are poisoned. I wouldn't run Gliscor in Infernape becasue then you are too open to Kingdra, a deck that can match your speed.

Skuntank G
If you must poison you're opponent and they play Kingdra, play Skuntank. Slap down Galactic's HQ or Snowpoint Temple and poison there active.

Gliscor vs Skuntank - Which should I run
Usually you don't want 2 poison inducers and you want synergy between them in your deck. Obviously Skuntank's x2 Fighting Weakness will want Machamp to walk right in so play Gliscor in Luxray. And Gliscor's x2 Water weakness makes Kingdra giddy in Infernape so play Skuntank there. It is up to preference in Alakazam or Gallade.

Toxicroak G
Toxicroak is here for 2 reasons. He combos with Gliscor/Skuntank and has a built-in Unown G. Poison them with Gliscor/Skuntank and bring Toxicroak in for 60 (90 to Machamp).

Crobat G
If you still want poison, but don't want Gliscor or Skuntank, play Crobat. Crobat offers twice the poison power and doesn't share any weaknesses to the Sweepers (he only shares it with Honchkrow). Crobat also combos with Gallade to cause plenty of counters to be thrown about.

Floatzel GL Lv. X
Floatzel GL Lv. X would be under the main attacker if there were any solid SP Water Types. It does deserve a mention though, because it can bring you tow supporters for free turn 1. If Quagsire, Mamoswine and Froslass where just a little bit better, then Floatzel would be here for sure. Feel free to use Floatzel in other Water-type decks to ensure infinite HP.

Palkia G Lv. X
Do you remember Dusknoir DP from last season? It forced people to play a small bench. Here Palkia, being the super legendary that he his, does a similar thing, except the cards that get chosen go to the Lost Zone where they can't be found again. If you play Palkia G Lv. X, don't play Lucario GL.

Froslass GL
You have poisoned their active, done huge damage with Toxicroak and you still want something else. Froslass can offer some support. It does 50 for 2, but you have to erase the poisoning. It's not that big of a deal when Skuntank/Gliscor/Crobat can cause it again.

Roserade GL
Roserade offers a similar strategy to Froslass, but it has less damage output. On the positive side, it doesn't erase the Poisoning and if the defender is poisoned, then you can cause some spread.

Trainer Lines

SP decks are special because they offer many ways to play tricky and assertively. You'll still want staples like Bebe, Roseanne and Looker, but here are some trainers that make one heck of a SP deck.

Team Galactic Inventions

Poketurn
Do you not like the flip of Super Scoop Up? Well, Poketurn allows you to do the same thing to an SP pokemon for FREE. No flip required.

Power Spray
Is your opponent's Claydol bothering you? Play Power Spray and the Cosmic Power does nothing. But it still counts as it being used, so Set Up will require a Scoop Up.

Energy Gain
Energy Gain allows the SP Pokemon it is attached to to play quicker by lowering their attack costs by 1 Colorless Energy. It can make some powerful attacks free. The only drawback is deciding between this and Unown G.

SP Radar
The Pokemon SP version of Bebe's Search. There is next to no difference between them. It lets you technically run 8 Bebes.

Damage Porter
This card works absolutely wonderful in Alakazam. You can take the damage off of your Turtwig or Gyarados and switch them with their active, causing a lot of damage.

Galactic HQ
When you play Galactic HQ, you put your opponent in a bind. They can evolve and place 2 counters on them, or leave them as basic and hope for the best. Most choose the first choice.

Snowpoint Temple
SP Pokemon have low HP so Snowpoint can increase it to allow them to take more pain. You'll want to combine this with Looker, because if you have a Pokemon with more then their current HP and they have a stadium, you'll be giving them prizes.

Cyrus's Conspiracy
Without Claydol, you'll be forced to find someway to draw. This is your answer. You'll be weeding out 3 cards per turn. It's a lot like Castaway so those who used Castaway should find it more or less the same.

Aaron's Appointment
This card allows you to keep recycling your SP Pokemon and the few energy they use. It's like a Night Maintenance except the cards go right into your hand.

Bertha's Kindness
Bertha's Kindness is unlike the other kindness card: Mom's Kindness. You can remove 5 damage counters from one of your SP-Pokemon. Normally on things like Gigas this wouldn't seem like a lot, but when your main attacker has 100 HP it helps a ton.

Lake Boundary
Lake Boundary offers a chance do do a numerous of things. One is to do 120 to Kingdra and other Water types with Luxray for 1 energy. Two is to do 120 to Machamp with Toxicroak. Third, you can do 200 to Torterra, Tangrowth and Shaymin. With some Bucks or PlusPowers you are quickly knocking out some of the biggest threats in the current format. You could also add a Lucario GL, but it is just taking up space.

Champion Hall
SP Pokemon have very little retreat costs. Now with Champion Hall, many of them can retreat for free, or have less of a retreat cost.

I'm quickly going to mention SP Energy, which is a SP version of Rainbow energy. It can help a lot in the deck.

Counters
These cards stop the SPs from running crazy, and given the choice, should be your first targets for damaging.

Machamp SF
For this match, you MUST play Unown G. Don't attach any energy until your sweeper is G'd as you'll just waste it with Take Out. Luxray will have a harder time, where as Alakazam has lots of fun. Best Card to use (after Unown G): Toxicroak G

Mewtwo Lv. X
If you do not play Dialga G Lv. X, you are done for. You can't damage him at all. With G, Alakazam has a fun time, while no one really struggles here. Best Card to use (after Dialga G Lv. X): Toxicroak G

Mightyena LA
Mightyena can prevent your whole deck from switching, or attacking for that matter. Unown G saves you here again. Go Unown G!! Best Card to use: Unown G

Dragonite FB
Dragonite hits 80 for two energy. That 80 is enough to really hurt your SP cards. You need to play Bertha's Kindess to remove 5 of them, but the best way of defeating it, is Empoleon FB and Alakazam 4. They both remove energy, making it hard for them to attack.

That's all there is to it to running and making a great SP-Deck. Just watch out for Mewtwo and Machamp and you'll be fine (Although that is still no reason not to play Unown G and Dialga G Lv. X)

Basic Skeletons
2-2 or 3-1 main sweeper (Luxray, Infernape, Gallade, Raichu or Alakazam)
4 Starters (Weavile, Honchkrow, Aerodactyl and/or Sabelye)
4 Support Crew (special for sweeper)
4 other support
2 Poisoners
2 Toxicroak
2 Unown G
1-1 Dialga G Lv. X
Pokemon: 24

6 Galactic Inventions
4 Stadiums (Snowpoint, Galactic HQ, Lake Boundary)
3 Bebe
4 Roseanne
3 Looker
2 Night Maintenance (or Time Space Distortion)
Trainers: 22

4 SP Energy
10 other energy Energy

Here are some links to some decks that can help you. I started them, but others have helped.
Luxray - Click Here
Raichu - Click Here
Gallade - Click Here
Alakazam - Click Here
Infernape - Click Here

Goals of each Deck and a card in the metagame currently that matches the strategy. This is included so when you do decide to play SP-decks, you'll know who to play to lower the learning curve.

Luxray, Blaziken and Infernape: It for big damage quickly for few energy. Matches with Kingdra
Alakazam: Damage Manipulation. Matches with Cresselia.
Gallade, Drifblim and Raichu: Spreading damage out. Matches with Abomasnow.
Electivire: Energy attaching. Matches with Leafeon Lv. X

Tier List
Top Tier
1. Gallade
2. Blaziken

High Tier
3. Luxray
4. Alakazam

Middle Tier
5. Raichu
6. Infernape

Bottom Tier
7. Drifblim
8. Electivire

Hope this helps you create awesome SP-decks. Feel free to post any questions.

-Bippa201

P.S. I am aware that the majority of the cards that I mentioned are not in English. That should not stop people from posting decks that they would like to use once Bonds does hit the stores and I am willing to add English card scans once I figure out how to place pictures in.

Last edited:
This is actually better than i expected, but if this is about G's and SP's than where is Skunktank G and Gliscor G? BTW i think this should be in Cards: Strategy Rulings and collecting.

I didn't put Skuntank in because SPs have low HP, even with Snowpoint. The poison damage will just make it easier for the opposition to defeat you. You're right about Gliscor (I just had to read it a little better), but I don't know where it would fall under.

As for the thread's location, I wasn't sure where to put it. I put it here, so it can help people build strong SP decks, but how do I get it moved over there without rewriting the whole thing again.

This is not that useful without with Platinum just coming out and most of the cards you mentioning coming from later sets.

This is not that useful without with Platinum just coming out and most of the cards you mentioning coming from later sets.

I realize that Platinum is fairly new and Bonds is a long way from now, I just wanted to show people how to make successful SP decks in case that was the deck they wanted to play.

Why no love for Floatzel GL? Awww, that pokemon line is just too cute... <3

Good job on this. :)

how is 120 to Kingdra T2 not fast enough in the current format? Or 120 to Machamp? All you would need is 1 pluspower and you can OHKO the biggest donkers in the format (Sableye included)

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Thanks Jason. I added a section on Floatzel.

Last edited:
I just added Lucario GL. I think that when you combine your starter, sweeper and two support you'll have a big bench. And being a stadium, it helps vs Dark Palm Dusknoir.

Because kingdra is 60+20 turn 1 and doesn't die from the 120, and machamp is pretty much instant death to the entire deck on top of being the deck's weakness. Claydol kills most of the cards in that deck in 1 hit, if not 2 and he's used everywhere. With rainbow energy claydol can attack... Claydol beats FTW!!! Not to mention they don't have enough life to go against scizor/cherrim, and get 1 shot by dusknoir faster than normal.
And a ton of those aren't out yet.

I've already stated that I know that a done of these aren't out yet. But that shouldn't stop people from creating Bonds decks.

Kingdra is 60+20 Turn 1 I know, but all of these have more then 60 HP. I have Unown G vs Machamp. Claydol does 1 shot a unleveled up Luxray and Skuntank, but Claydol has to wait for T2 to attack, where as these guys can attack T1 and finish Claydol of T2, not to mention Rainbow puts a counter on Claydol. Scizor can give this deck a hard time, but that is why there is Dialga to stop Cherrim and lower Scizor's defenses. Which Dusknoir can 1 shot them? I don't know any that can and Dusknoir would still be rather slow, if they get Ectoplasm, then its over.

Probably the good dusknoir with damage even.
Also, energy gain isn't an energy so night spin is amazing.
And who's attacking T1?

the SP deck is attacking T1 if they go second. Energy Gain isn't energy, but it allows for quicker damage.

Damage Even Dusknoir can cause some problems, but if Galactic's HQ is still in play then Dusknoir would've already taken 40 damage, powering up damage even, but making it easier to kill. If Broken Time-Space was in, Unown G could be used to sacrifice some speed for extra protection from damage even as it places counters not direct damage. Night Spin will cause problems but there is absolutely nothing wrong with attaching that 3rd energy and attacking Noir. Not to mention that Gallade would ignore the effect by placing damage counters.

Not to mention dusknoir probably didn't evolve to stage 1 considering the format, also he WANTS to die so you're taking damage between turns, which would also bump your broken time space and how does gallade ignore any effects?
And gallade still kills dusknoir so you're still taking 10 on each between turns. Also, if dusknoir doesn't kill it on the bench, he's a ohko on gallade who's weak against him.

Last edited:
Because kingdra is 60+20 turn 1 and doesn't die from the 120, and machamp is pretty much instant death to the entire deck on top of being the deck's weakness. Claydol kills most of the cards in that deck in 1 hit, if not 2 and he's used everywhere. With rainbow energy claydol can attack... Claydol beats FTW!!! Not to mention they don't have enough life to go against scizor/cherrim, and get 1 shot by dusknoir faster than normal.
And a ton of those aren't out yet.

SP pokemon will become Meta for sure, give it time, as for the claydol argument, that is preposterous! Claydol would have no hope against this deck or any Sp deck. Claydol should never, and I mean NEVER be used to attack unless you ABSOLUTELY had to. I like the SP's a lot, and you will see what will happen come states, and ESPECIALLY regionals!

Ok, states machamp and kingdra will win, maybe some rhyperior. There isn't enough SP goodness for it to be viable at the moment.
Maybe after flints and bertha's comes out but not now.

Back