Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How to Help your States run more smoothly!

WeileMom

Hi, the following are some ideas for how the players can help their State Championships run more smoothly:

:pokeball: Please bring your decklist with you to the event!! There are numerous places to download blank decklist forms, including HERE. If you're still searching for that last perfect card, then make two decklists- one with it and one without it. This will save you and the judges, who have to check them, valuable time and energy! You won't have to dismantle your deck right before you play and your opponents will have less opportunity to see what your deck contains.

:pokeball: Locate your POP ID number BEFORE you head to the event. Write it on a slip of paper and tape it to the inside lid of your deckbox, along with your name. This will save valuable time for the scorekeeper when he or she is entering names into the tournament software. Please don't just expect us to look up your number because you're too lazy to do it yourself!

:pokeball: Listen attentively to the Head Judge when he or she is speaking, especially when he or she is going over the rules.

:pokeball: When pairings are posted, please find your seat as soon as possible. Don't forget to flip for who goes first before you draw your hand. Don't forget to lay your prizes too!!

:pokeball: DON'T HESITATE to call a judge if you have a question during gameplay. The judges are your friends, they are there to help you and make sure both players are playing by the rules. If you have a question DON'T take your opponent's word for it, even if he or she is a professor. There are a lot of new rulings and only the tournament judges can make a call.

:pokeball: When you finish your game, both players need to go to the scoring table and report the result. Your TO may have you fill out a match slip instead so, again, pay attention during the rules and procedures speech.

:pokeball: Please return promptly after lunch and be ready to play.

:pokeball: If there are problems, please be patient and understanding while the judging staff works them out. California players are especially good at this. :biggrin:

I'm sure that I'm missing some things so please feel free to add to the list. In general, though, if you follow the above guidelines you will help your Tournament Organizer rule a smooth, problem-free event.

Disclaimer: At any time, no matter what you or the TO and judges do, the Tournament Manager Software may decide to mess with the scorekeeper and wreck havok at the scoring table. In case of this occurance, emergency procedures will be relayed to the players through the head judge. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Nicole has done a fine job of getting together some helpful hints to make States and big tournaments in general go smoother. She earned her post a "sticky" trip to the top of the forum! :clap:

BDS

uh hey, I get to the events like right at the start so I don't do the decklist thing, a big reason is because we seperate ours via colors. =\

WOW perfect Nicole! .......

I think it might be a good idea to print this out and pass it out at our leagues, there are many players who do not get the chance to read this site.

THANKS again Nicole! Joey and I will see you soon again :)

One thing i make sure to do before events is read through the Compendium and the Ask the Masters forum to read up on any recent rulings or erratas on cards i'll be using in my deck. You want to know beforehand if a move is playable or if one thing or another will activate. If the opponent wants to check up with a judge, that's fine, but you should be informed yourself.

I'm so glad you put "bring your decklist" at the top of your list. I just wish ALL me players read PokeGym.

meganium45 said:
um, jake, for States...and beyond...no decklist, no tourney baby.

M45

Uhm Vincent, I meant that I can't do the decklist at home, because the ones I do at the event have different colors. -_-

Locate your POP ID number BEFORE you head to the event. Write it on a slip of paper and tape it to the inside lid of your deckbox, along with your name. This will save valuable time for the scorekeeper when he or she is entering names into the tournament software. Please don't just expect us to look up your number because you're too lazy to do it yourself!

I would actually recommend if you find your POP ID number log in and get a My Pokemon account this way you can print out a new POP ID card!

Anyways this was a great topic for players in general. Also Professors, I have tips for you in the Professor Forum of both the POP Forums and this forum.

DarkJake said:
Uhm Vincent, I meant that I can't do the decklist at home, because the ones I do at the event have different colors. -_-

We have done color coded lists before (West Coast Stadium for one) and have found a way to let players bring their list and still make the color coding work. Buy some highlite markers the same colors as your color coded paper decklists. When a player brings in their filled out list, which is usually printed on white paper, take the marker and put a colored strip on the top or side.

BDS

I've cut'n'pasted most of your list WeileMom to a READ ME sheet I'm posting at our CO States.

Thanks again. :)

mysterioustrainer said:
I would actually recommend if you find your POP ID number log in and get a My Pokemon account this way you can print out a new POP ID card!

Anyways this was a great topic for players in general. Also Professors, I have tips for you in the Professor Forum of both the POP Forums and this forum.

Where do you go to print out a new POP ID card? We have some kids in our league who have lost theirs and they keep asking me for another one....

Thanks!

Mia Cook :smile:

Big Daddy Snorlax said:
We have done color coded lists before (West Coast Stadium for one) and have found a way to let players bring their list and still make the color coding work. Buy some highlite markers the same colors as your color coded paper decklists. When a player brings in their filled out list, which is usually printed on white paper, take the marker and put a colored strip on the top or side.

BDS

I still don't think I hold anybody back, I print a list off so I dont have to take away my deck. I've never been the last one to fill out a list, even when I couldnt find the location for a CC and was like an hour late. ;x

DarkJake said:
I still don't think I hold anybody back ...

I wasn't implying you held people back or even that you shouldn't fill out the list when you arrived. I was just offering a way that TOs could accept people's lists even though they may have color coded their deck lists (which I think is an excellent idea for large tournaments btw).

BDS

Oh ok, NP. I'm just asking if it's WRONG to go the 'normal' way and actually do it at the event, like I said I print my decklist off, so it's basically just copying down names rather than taking it apart and searching for names. ^_^

BDS, we just staple them to a new decksheet with the player info on it, after the check.

Glad to see someone else using the color coding!

Vince

Yep. We fill out deck lists for all decks prepared for the tourney in pencil. This way, if you decide on a last minute change, its smooth and neat; if you decide to play one deck over the other, you have both lists.

incorrect direction removed, see post below
Also plan on getting there early.
With events ranging in the 80,90, 100's of people and everyone shows up at 1/2 hour to starting time the event WILL start late.

Last edited:
annisarich said:
Please arive with your deck sorted as it is on your list.
Also plan on getting there early.
With events ranging in the 80,90, 100's of people and everyone shows up at 1/2 hour to starting time the event WILL start late.

You should check with the TO of the event ahead of time before sorting your deck. Not all TO's want the decks in order. At my events I do not want decks sorted.

Help!

I would like to print out my decklist as you suggested, but every time I try to open up that link, it wont load anything.

Help?

Back