Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

How was the Vendor At Nats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muk Man

So After U.S. Nationals How was The Single vendor. Was he Fair or was it as bad as everyone thought it would be.

Last edited:
Gathering Ground was an amazing vendor. He bought sooo much stuff at very fair prices. Some people were complaining about the prices, but that was to be expected. Why do you ask?

They had sleeves I have been looking for for 6 years and they give me head aches when I play with them. I love them.

Gathering Ground was much more fair then I expected.

The Good:

Buying cards at good prices
Massive amounts of different products

The Bad:

Prices- they were jacked up well above prices you would see on ebay for instance. A friend I had spoken to that goes to their local store also told me that their prices were raised higher than their normal prices. I only bought a Toxicroak G Promo because everyone I asked didn't have one for trade/borrow.Would not recommend waiting to the last minute to buy cards if you could help it.

Well, there were only 2 things I disagreed with.

His price for Flygon Lv X was $45, which imo is $10 too much; along with the fact that things like rev holo Claydols are the same price as standard claydol. I was just wondering why he'd cheat himself like that.

Anyway, I really loved the Gathering Ground.
I bought 4 Holo (from the Variety Pack) Bebe for $6.

It really depends what you're comparing it to.

Compared to ebay, the prices were insane. They seemed to be raised on some cards everyday.

Example: A friend and I bought 16 common and uncommons and had to pay $8.50. On ebay it would have been half that price.

The way they were buying cards was really unfair imo. They bought RH Claydol's for $7, Dialga G Lv. x's for $10, Uxie's for $5. Honestly, your better off bringing thousands of commons and uncommons and selling all of them.

Well, there were only 2 things I disagreed with.

His price for Flygon Lv X was $45, which imo is $10 too much; along with the fact that things like rev holo Claydols are the same price as standard claydol. I was just wondering why he'd cheat himself like that.

Anyway, I really loved the Gathering Ground.
I bought 4 Holo (from the Variety Pack) Bebe for $6.

Jason doesn't differentiate between regular and parallel/reverse/whatever holo on his site; I assume this same 'advantage' (to the buyer) is given in real life.

My biggest problem is that everyone was very rude. I don't know if it's just a regional behavior thing or what, but when I was trying to ask legitimate questions I mostly got blown off. There were tons of things that I saw and liked that weren't priced, but I didn't get to find out what anything cost because no one would answer my questions.

Expensive prices on not so great cards, kind of rude also. I asked if the sleeves were legal he said yes, I ordered them, and he gave it to the cashier and I got in line. After purchasing them, I look at them closer and see that they are shiny. I then ask right then and there if I could get my money back, he said no, we are to busy to do that. The cashier still had my money in his hand : /

Prices on cards where to be expected.
Since it is hey we got what you need now, but you gotta pay the price.

Now on the 2nd day a lot of the stuff got there prices jacked up really high form day 1.
$5 cloth mat one day and $10 the next.

How they treated some of us was horrible.

I watched a kid get ripped off when he asked for a card he paid and got a Japanese (Why is *** censored?) card. He said he needed English and the vendor said $15 more for it. He said never mind he wanted his money back and handed the card back over, The guy said no refunds. It was a kid for crying out loud that thy ripped off!!!!

Plus one of the guys that came with us bought a Pokemon Gold Jp. (They also had Silver and Green jp)
IT WAS A BOOT LEG!
How do I know?
I own a Legit copy of all three of those games and the carts and boxes are not like that.
A boot leg of the video game being sold by the vendors that Pokemon let be the only one.

GIVE US CHOICES NEXT YEAR PLZ!

Last edited:
I think we're going to see a lot of different opinions and experiences from people in this thread.

My experience was pretty positive. I brought two boxes, one with RH and one with Holos. I expected $90, but knew that some of my cards had a little holo showing on the edges and weren't 100% mint. I was offered $94, which I happily received. I was very happy with the selling of my cards.

I bought two products from the store. One was a 4-card binder for Rising Rivals, which I couldn't find at my local Wal-Marts or Target, which was $6, which is very respectable price. I think the normal price is $6.99. The second item I bought was a DP3 big box thing for $13. Shipping for the item on eBay would have been $10 probably regardless of who I bought it from, and I know I couldn't have walked away with it cheaper anywhere. I was very happy with my buying of those two items.

The holos/rares had prices that I feel were fair/a little above fair. I didn't buy any of them, but if I had to, I wouldn't feel ripped off. The guy provides a service, allowing anyone that needs a card at the last moment to get it. He should be able to add a little on top because of that. I had done my research on eBay for the prices of regular rares and foils and his prices were not that different. The blaziken PL I wanted online would cost me $1.99 w/ shipping and he was selling it for $2.

The lv.Xs were a little bit pricey. Like I said, I had done my research. I had found the absolutely cheapest places on the net to buy the lv.Xs. GG's lv.X prices almost double of what I expected to see on eBay. For example, I wrote down on my paper that I can get Infernape 4 lv.X for around $18.99 from a site I know. GG was selling it for $35. Because of that, I didn't ask the prices for the other lv.Xs.

The promos were slightly pricer than I thought they'd be. Some were $6-7, where I feel they should have been $5-6. But, it is supply and demand, and if there is a big demand for those promos and no promo displays at the big retailers anymore, their price could go up.

Overall, I had no big problems with the prices. I was happy to find the two items I felt were a good deal in my opinion and buy them, and leave the store happy. I know of others that left the store happy after buying items too.

This is the real world. There will be higher prices, and all the prices won't be exactly what you are thinking. Check ebay and see examples of that. But GG was providing a service, and they deserve some respect for that, enough respect not to rudely bash their service. Did I feel their prices were a little high? Sure, but I will respectly choose not to buy from them, not bash them and talk about them behind their backs.

I was willing to buy a few overpriced cards anyways because of the lack of S&H I was going to have to pay and the fact that GG bought my cards and I was paid very handsomely for them.

I definitely don't have any problems with them being the only vendor there this year. I do wish there had been a little booth for an official Nationals store, with official nationals pins and luggage tags and stuff like that. I loved the little store at Worlds, and I missed it at Nationals.

I guess my main advice would be, just be happy for what it was. If you walked away with a few items that weren't too overpriced, be happy, and be happy that there was a vendor there in the first place with such a large selection of choices to choose from.

Six dollars for a Baltoy. I notice a few people were friendly but this one guy was pretty rude. Don't know who he was but we did not go back for the few things we looked at that we thought about buying . Just a couple of things for the kids and we were gone. Then we get back to the hotel and the electivire toy we bought didn't work right.

I have a few things to say about Gathering Ground, both good and bad.

• As several people have pointed out so far, yes; one of the employees in particular was pretty rude. However, I think it's *almost* justified, since he was very busy and probably very tired. On the other hand, that's no way to sell cards.

• The prices for most singles was exorbitant. Cards are far cheaper in bulk on eBay and most other websites, with shipping costs taken into consideration. Lv.Xs were particularly absurd. I'm surprised that people paid that much for cards that they didn't need last minute.

• The prices for packs were very, very good. $2.50 for Rising Rivals? Yes please!

• There was a fantastic selection of everything. I'm convinced that GG is the largest Pokémon retailer in the country since I have seen the extent of their stock. Many deckboxes/binders/sleeves, nearly every English language pack, nearly every single ever printed in English (as well as many in Japanese), and a lot of cool Pokémon merch. That was probably the biggest selling point.

• The prices paid for newer cards were terrible. I'm just wondering; who would sell their Uxies for $5 to this guy when they could have simply stepped outside the center and sold them to anyone else for at least double that amount? >_<

• The prices they paid for EXs were quite good, actually. I sold a number of my useless older EXs to GG for $20... since they're illegal and not old enough to hold sentimental value, I'd say I got a fine deal.

• They were incredibly overstaffed. I mean, four people to handle hundreds of customers? Pssh... lol.

So, that's pretty much my opinion of the sole vendor at Nationals. Maybe a little more selection next year?

Prices on cards where to be expected.
Since it is hey we got what you need now, but you gotta pay the price.

Now on the 2nd day a lot of the stuff got there prices jacked up really high form day 1.
$5 cloth mat one day and $10 the next.

How they treated some of us was horrible.

I watched a kid get ripped off when he asked for a card he paid and got a Japanese (Why is *** censored?) card. He said he needed English and the vendor said $15 more for it. He said never mind he wanted his money back and handed the card back over, The guy said no refunds. It was a kid for crying out loud that thy ripped off!!!!

Plus one of the guys that came with us bought a Pokemon Gold Jp. (They also had Silver and Green jp)
IT WAS A BOOT LEG!
How do I know?
I own a Legit copy of all three of those games and the carts and boxes are not like that.
A boot leg of the video game being sold by the vendors that Pokemon let be the only one.

GIVE US CHOICES NEXT YEAR PLZ!

Just this one indcident should make Pokemon reject them as vendors next year. Serisouly.

Also, one of the staff they had didn't have a clue about any cards I had asked for thus, making me wait even longer to get helped. At times they refused to search for commons or uncommons and RH cards. I just wasn't satisfied and wish that next year there will be at least more than 1 vendor.
Please!

wow thats a bummer i thought they would handle this stuff way better ?.. and about them being rude i know if there where rude workers at card shops where i live wich there is alot of rude workers i woudnt support there store if there gonna treat me like crap soo. i mean sure if they where busy or tired but thats no way to treat a buyer thats supporting you buisness seriously ??

But, it is supply and demand

The only reason it was a supply/demand situation was becuase there was only one vendor. Had POP allowed 2 it would have forced competition not only with prices but with there service as well.

I dont feel that I can discuss the above too much as I was not at the event.....

However, if you try to compare the following "there was this one dude selling a Claydol for $10 on eBay" to "that will be $20 please sir" then you are going to feel upset.

If you then take into account just some of the following points:
Payment for the exclusive stand rights
Payment for 4 staff
Loss of profit at his store
Return on investment will take years - The cards purchased will not all be sold overnight

Now consider some of these points:
On eBay you have a good chance that items may be damaged / fake / never arrive
On eBay it would cost you hours of your time to sell 20 Ex's (example) and it would also cost about 25% of what ever you make
On eBay you have a high chance an item will not sell, yet you still have to pay fees
On eBay it will take you at least 3 days to get an item, sometimes weeks.

Some other points that people have made:
Prices fluctuated - Supply and Demand guys...come on, it's Day 1 and they had 100 of xyz item - on Day 2 they are down to 10 items (example) then the price is going to go up. (go and find LuxApe on eBay now.........doh......sold out).

A key point to remember here though.....
You had a choice, nobody forced you to sell or try to sell cards. Likewise, nobody forced you to buy stuff.

I cant comment on the staff but it sounds like they were very busy and the thought of 1000+ people all trying to use their trading skills and 'i know best about eBay' gives me a migraine and I swim with the sharks daily.

I am also sure that GG learn't a lot of things over the event and will take that into consideration if they attend again.

I will bet you one thing though, they have learn't that no matter how hard you try, you just cant please everyone :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back