Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Importance of decklist breeds netdeckers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime

Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host
So, for anyone that wasn't watching the Deck Help section this morning, some new member, nick named "UndergroundInformant" posted 3 deck lists that he had found in SixPrizes's Underground section that had been supposedly constructed by Chris Fulop and JWittz.

A handful of people jumped on him for two reasons. 1) The lists had been constructed by other players and it was extremely rude to post others' lists. 2) The lists were part of paid content that those without subscriptions should not have access to.

I was thinking to myself why these lists were so important that even one of the writers came onto the forum and asked the moderators to remove it.

Why are these lists of so much importance?

The format hasn't even started
. People may be testing now, but we're still at least 2 months away from any event that may possibly host a format that allows for the use of said decks. I know people are testing currently to get a leg up on their competition, but the lists we see now -- I feel -- are still in infancy, with plenty of improvements to come as players learn more about the radically new format.

I think the worry that some players have about sharing their lists is Netdecking, or someone copying their list card-for-card. That's a perfectly reasonable worry. A player puts a lot of their time into testing a deck, changing out a few cards, teching in a few cards, and have constructed themselves a consistent deck. They don't want another player to just come along and "steal" the work.

Part of that makes sense to me. Another part of that doesn't. There are only 60 cards that can be used in a deck. If we accept the likely ratios for certain evolution lines and the likely # of used supporters, many decks look the same.

4-3-4 or 4-2-4, or even 3-2-3 of a stage 2 deck (2-1-2 if tech)
3-3 or 4-4 of a stage 1 deck (1-1 or 2-2 if tech)
1-2 tech hitters (Bouffalant comes to mind)
2-4 starter helpers

3-4 Pokemon Collector
2-4 Pokemon Communication
0-3 Professor Elm's Training Method
2-4 Professor Oak's New Theory or Professor Juniper or Judge
0-1 Fisherman
0-2 Flower Shop Lady
0-4 Rare Candy

etc etc

It isn't hard for multiple players to come up with similar deck lists.

What I think the main worry stems from is when certain players have found a uniquely useful tech (1-2 of something in a deck -- usually a pokemon) that may improve a certain match up greatly, and they don't want others to know of it so that they can take the most advantage of it. This is understandable.

We've all seen the discussions on this forum and others; "that list is really bad," "the better lists run ____," "the newest list has improved that match up," etc, etc.

It just makes me wonder, if players put less emphasis on the importance of having "the right list", would other players go out of their way to netdeck as much?.

Let's be honest, there are some amazing players in this game. Show me a player that would think twice about giving any list of Chris Fulop's a chance for a tournament without any experience with the deck.

If the netdeckers did not feel such inadequacy and had such a need to obtain the #1 best list for their favorite deck, perhaps they would feel more able to construct a decent deck themselves, and perhaps they would spend more time working on their own decks.

So my conclusion is that the importance players place on their deck lists plays a large role in the encouragement for certain players to netdeck. And that if players didn't put as much emphasis on their deck lists, if players shared their deck lists more, certain players would possibly construct their own decks more often. Even if they borrow ideas from other peoples' lists, I would think they would be more willing to make changes to suit their playing style, unlike what we have seen in the past with certain players just copying decks card-for-card.

What do you think?

Thanks, this makes me want to help others with their deck and post a couple of decklists that previously were private to me
-begins typing decklists-

When I explain competitive play to someone new, the first thing is say is you start with the right mix of 60 cards. Look at all the variables you have up there! There are dozens if not hundreds of precise variations possible, each operating a little differently. Which precise variation you choose depends on what the opponents in your area play (the meta game). And I'm not even going to offer that it depends on the cards that you have...we can only assume the deckbuilder is "playing to win" therefore will do whatever it takes to acquire or at least borrow all of the 60 cards needed.

So what is the "right" way? Hard to know what the precise mixture is, which is why people often punt and look to other decklists for skeletons. (Yes, including the subscribers to the 6P Underground).

But even beyond that, a decklist can be intensely personal and secretive for two reasons that I see:

1. There may be a surprise card or two in there to counter opponent decks, or more importantly a mirror match
  2. It's always a mystery of how many of a certain card someone runs

For instance, the "1-2" Bouffalant tech you mention: during a match, it sure would be beneficial to know if there is another one possibly in their deck after you just KO the first one!

With two more months of testing as you say, you can be sure the leaked decklists will change. What's the harm, then? Just that Pokemon is a nice community, encouraging a good spirit of the game, and intentionally posting those decklists was certainly not a demonstration of that.

I'm going to end with this.....some people describe Pokemon as a combination of chess and poker: chess because there is strategy of move and countermove, and poker because of the luck of the draw and card combinations. I'll submit it's even harder than that, because you have to choose your own 60 pieces to play with in the first place! That is a daunting thought for most people playing the game, as you clearly point out.

Last edited:
For me it's always been less of people netdecking my lists and more an issue of showing the competition what I'm bringing to the table.

I agree with alot of your points though, but want to also add that generally, net deckers that I see tend to NOT put the time and effort into testing and as such aren't a threat simply because they can't properly fully utilize what they net deck. I don't know how many luxchomp decks I've burned through in the last 2 years that had no idea how to play their lists and then admitted to using net decked versions...

What good is a sword if you don't know how to use it?

I majorly agree with your point on our next format. I'M testing it, sure, but the things I'm coming up with are obvious beta versions of the plays I'm thinking of, and everything pretty much goes out the window depending on our next set. Just something for people to put more consideration in to.

I never 100 % netdeck, though I do admit to looking at other people's lists getting to get to know the different techs and so for the deck I am about to build. For example when I built my VileGar deck I looked at 10+ different lists and found techs such as Umbreon to put in. But I didn't like it, tested a whole lot of other techs (including Darkrai & Cresselia Legend) and ended up with Azelf LV.X, an amazing tech that improves a lot of match-ups and fits my playstyle and decklist perfectly.

If you really want to win I think it's all about playing a lot with a deck, getting to know it and modifying it so that you can perform your best with it. Netdecking will in almost any case result with you not being able to perform your best, and therefore putting the time and effort in creating your own deck (or playstyle for the deck at least) is totally worth it.

Prime, I have to disagree with you. One of the most skillful, and time consuming aspects of pokemon is deck building. While the last thing I really spent any great amount of time on (mostly due to not being able to play the game because of college) was palkia, I put an incredible amount of time and effort into that list. I would have been furious if someone had copied it card for card, and then had success with it. Heck, the week after I used it, I saw copycats going around, using variations on it. Their lists were simply not as good, and no where near as streamlined. THIS is good for the game, and how it should be. Deck building is a very important aspect of the game, and considering that it's one of my favorite aspects of the game, I very much value people working on their own ideas, not just steeling from someone else.

I'm not saying to never net deck. I do it all the time if I want a basic list for something. It would be stupid to start from scratch if someone's already done it before. However, you should take that idea, and make it your own, or if nothing else, perfect it to be as good as you can make it. IMO, deck building skill will be playing a lot bigger roll in the game again, and will give those who are able to skillfully build decks a far greater advantage than those who cant. This is what the game is about, and how it should be. Netdeckers will always be there, but it's really a shame when they're able to get their hands on the best lists and have success with them, when they didn't put any work into it.

I never 100 % netdeck, though I do admit to looking at other people's lists getting to get to know the different techs and so for the deck I am about to build. For example when I built my VileGar deck I looked at 10+ different lists and found techs such as Umbreon to put in. But I didn't like it, tested a whole lot of other techs (including Darkrai & Cresselia Legend) and ended up with Azelf LV.X, an amazing tech that improves a lot of match-ups and fits my playstyle and decklist perfectly.

Yeah, this is what I do.

I still have the Zekrom/RDL decklists from this morning, but I won't play the exact list. In all honesty, I think it's a great skeleton. I DO like seeing complete decklists though.

bouffalant DESTROYS zekrom/RDL in the face.

i would never play that deck. ever.

just because it was posted up and taken from "important deck makers" doesnt mean thats its ACTUALLY good.

netdecking is dangerous business. you have to actually use common sense.

Prime, I have to disagree with you.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? The correlation between importance of deck list and netdecking?

I never said either thing was good or bad for the game. I wasn't making any assessment of the health of the game. I was just connecting two tendencies in the game and justifying causation.

You are welcome to disagree with me, I would just like to know with what sentence or idea you are disagreeing with so I can offer a counter point.

I'm not saying to never net deck. I do it all the time if I want a basic list for something. It would be stupid to start from scratch if someone's already done it before. However, you should take that idea, and make it your own, or if nothing else, perfect it to be as good as you can make it. IMO, deck building skill will be playing a lot bigger roll in the game again, and will give those who are able to skillfully build decks a far greater advantage than those who cant. This is what the game is about, and how it should be. Netdeckers will always be there, but it's really a shame when they're able to get their hands on the best lists and have success with them, when they didn't put any work into it.

I'm not quite following your thinking. You would feel angry if someone found one of your lists yet you feel it's perfectly acceptable to netdeck if the person makes the deck "their own"? What if someone found one of your lists and made it "their own"?

The way I see it, we have some players who criticize people who "netdeck" when themselves perform similar actions but try to make it sound not as bad because they put some effort into it. I wonder if there are truly players out there that netdeck a list, change no cards whatsoever, and win a big event with it. Because I would think that those who netdeck a lot don't have access to the lists of the better players and only have lists they can find online easily to work from. If they played those lists card-for-card, they'd probably lose a lot.

I'm thinking there aren't a lot of successful netdeckers out there, given the description we have for true netdeckers.

Perhaps the whole idea of successful netdeckers was created so certain players would have a fall back excuse to deter the sharing of deck ideas. Oh, don't go sharing that deck idea, people will just netdeck it and beat you at Regionals! How often does that really happen?

Last edited:
I disagree with and hate the underground with a passion. I also frown apon those who suport the underground with money and articles. It kinda looks like we are turning into a MTG or YGO type of card game where everything is secret or under the table. Pokemon is by far the most respectable card game when it comes to the quality of the community. we as a community should help the newer or not as good players to better their game. What new player is going to pay a fee just so he can look at some fancy deck article? Honestly I do not look, talk, or think about sixprises, because of the underground. I also have many friends like this.

If you dont want your super cool deck list leaked to the public, dont post it on the internet. And I see nothing wrong in what the user did today. He paid to look at the articles why cant he post them.

I disagree with and hate the underground with a passion. I also frown apon those who suport the underground with money and articles. It kinda looks like we are turning into a MTG or YGO type of card game where everything is secret or under the table. Pokemon is by far the most respectable card game when it comes to the quality of the community. we as a community should help the newer or not as good players to better their game. What new player is going to pay a fee just so he can look at some fancy deck article? Honestly I do not look, talk, or think about sixprises, because of the underground. I also have many friends like this.

If you dont want your super cool deck list leaked to the public, dont post it on the internet. And I see nothing wrong in what the user did today. He paid to look at the articles why cant he post them.

You don't have to like the UG, However, you're saying that if I sign up for an account at a bank, I can feel free to walk in and take anything in the safe i want.

Also, to "He paid to look at the articles why cant he post them":

It's a direct violation of the terms of service, which he/she HAD to agree to to create an account, the content on 6P is copyrighted. To quote the terms of service:

Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials (information or software) on SixPrizes.com’s web site for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:

modify or copy the materials;
use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on SixPrizes.com’s web site;
remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
transfer the materials to another person or “mirror” the materials on any other server.

The actions today violate the last set of conditions. You don't have to like something, but that's the law.

Because paying to read it yourself is not a license to distribute it to others. Just because you buy the newspaper doesn't mean you can scan its contents and post it on your own website. Are people really this stupid that they think having a subscription to view content means you own it and can do whatever you want with it?

I hope UndergroundInformant was banned for this.

who cares. the decks were bad anyway.

real top players keep their lists secrets. the UG is not a secret. is a facade that the people who run the UG use to make themselves seem more important in the metagame than they really are by posing as "secretive" and "seclusive".

grantid, cabd, you are correct in what you said about it being the rule.

im sorry if this seems rude... but... like i said above. use common sense when netdecking (i.e. dont steal lists that arent worth stealing) and we wont have problems like this...

I wonder if there are truly players out there that netdeck a list, change no cards whatsoever, and win a big event with it. Because I would think that those who netdeck a lot don't have access to the lists of the better players and only have lists they can find online easily to work from. If they played those lists card-for-card, they'd probably lose a lot.

I think you're spot on here, someone that netdecks card for card is not going to win an event. The only reason you'd want to keep a deck secret is if you either want to keep the surprise element of the deck or have a specific tech in it that isn't widely known. If either of those reasons are true then the player isn't going to post the deck anywhere online, let alone the 6P underground. Looking at the 3 lists that were posted here earlier (saved them to notepad because I knew the threads would be deleted) there is nothing that special about them (although it's always interesting to look at the Trainer lines of "good" players to grab some ideas for future deckbuilding) so I don't see the big deal.

I dislike net decking all together. I put months into my list and would hate it if someone copied it. The game should force people to play rogue decks. that way we have pure deck builders and go into tournaments not know what is being played. The most skilled should win, not the person who copied a deck list.

I think it's important to keep lists secret, especially those lists that are created by top players, because everyone will either want to emulate them or tech against them. What people DO need to realize though is that decks are frequently built towards a player's playstyle. What works for them may not work for you, and thorough playtesting is worth way more than copypasta.

I dislike net decking all together. I put months into my list and would hate it if someone copied it. The game should force people to play rogue decks. that way we have pure deck builders and go into tournaments not know what is being played. The most skilled should win, not the person who copied a deck list.

How would you go about "forcing" rogue decks. If a specific strategy is proven to be dominant over all other strategies, then it will become prevalent e.g. Luxchomp, GG etc. The best that can be done is that a large amount of Pokemon are made playable and on an even playing field but putting things into the game like basics that can hit for 120 on turn 3 (turn 1 if you're lucky) and stupid rulings on cards like Umbreon UD (why print this card twice in three sets when it is going to be useless next format when it had such potential) show that the people designing the cards/making the rules don't care so much for making the competitive game balanced, so you'll never see a format full of rogue decks, just one with the select few playable ones and other decks that deviate from them slightly in an attempt to counter the meta.

The whole point of playing 'rogue' is to use a deck which counters the meta and has the element of surprise.

If you forced everyone to play 'rogue' there would be no 'rogue' . . . just everyone playing a bunch of random bad decks. Where's the skill in that?

i didn't see the lists but i can tell you that whatever they post on the underground is not what they'll be playing come tournament time.

What everyone is overlooking is the fact that the decklists in the Underground are part of a full article, which includes a tremendous amount of explanation of why and how. They information shared is a result of playtesting many games against quality players.

If the information you're reading will make you a better player, it has value. People will pay for value.

Chris Fulop and Josh Wittenkeller, just two of the authors, are great players. Their wins prove that. They are opting to share what they think and know, and it's fair they get compensated for it.

The Underground also lets you ask them questions and get answers. A lot better answers than "who cares. the decks were bad anyway." The PokeGym is full of so much differing opinion, it fundamentally created the market for the Underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back