Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Katrina Shelter League

CameraMan

Gallery Admin Emeritus
With the hurricane Katrina aftermath so many people are affected. The Saturday after Katrina, we decided to hold league since Book a Million had opened up. When we got there, we found a sign on the door that all TCG league play in the store was suspended until further notice. Well as it turns out, the store is using their gaming room as housing for BAM employees from the Gulf Coast. A very good cause, and the store did allow us to play on that day in the store area, mostly because our kids have a good rep with the store as being well behaved, unlike the league from that other card game.
During the next week while looking for a temporary league location, the idea came to us, why not go to some of the shelters and play with the kids staying in them. The roadblock was, getting cards for them to play with! Well when Rocketman heard the idea, he offered 40 theme decks to share with them. Next issue was getting them here keeping in mind there is no mail delivery going on in south Louisiana and me working for the phone company, I had to work 7 days a week. Momma Schell, is a real trooper, she and Chris took off with gas cans in the back of my truck for the return trip about noon on Friday and picked up the cards that were provided by Rocket Man! They even stayed and played in his league in Covington, LA.

Saturday, I had made arrangements with the shelter at the Richland, MS High School shelter. From our league, Kathy took our kids (Chris, Alan, and Anna), the Bynum family (Clay, Melissa, Ashley, and Skyler for Pokemon, and Nick to play basketball) came to help, and also Lauren and Justin came to help. We took 8 of the decks and split them into 30 card demo decks, taught the kids how to play, after they demonstrated an interest for the game, and an aptitude to play it, we gave them a sealed theme deck. I was able to break away from work and head over there. We had about a dozen kids that played, and we stayed until about 6 PM. We gave each an info sheet with information about leagues on one side, and info about starting a league and local player accomplishments on the back along with stickers, a few pencils and other stuff we had.

Saturday evening, Kathy and I went to two more shelters to arrange something for Sunday, or the next weekend! We were able to get accepted to come back on Sunday at 2PM and play at that shelter. We were able to teach about 20 to play there, but the Red Cross was wanting to have a meeting, and were here encouraged to leave about 4PM.

Last night, I got a call from the mom of two of our other league players wanting to get in on next weekend if we can arrange something.

This has been a good experience for our kids to see people in need, and understanding that we all have something to give to help someone else. And we thank Rocket Man for the decks, but I really want to thank those that came to help for sharing their time! Our prayer is we left these kids with the feeling that people understand their hardship and care. Also that we left them with something to do that will help them pass the time.

Next weekend, we plan to go out again and ongoing, until we get our room back we hope to find one or more to hold league at. We have pictures posted at http://www.mspokemon.com not too many, the Red Cross got really bothered about a camera, so we played by their rules and put it away.

Last edited:
:thumb: :clap: :clap: I don't even have words for how awesome this is! IMHO this should be an article on the POP/Pokemon.com/NOA sites...not to mention the front page of the 'Gym :wink:

Great job, everyone! :clap:

'mom

Last edited:
SD PokéMom said:
:thumb: :clap: :clap: I don't even have words for how awesome this is! IMHO this should be an article on the POP/Pokemon.com/NOA sites...not to mention the front page of the 'Gym :wink:

Great job, everyone! :clap:

'mom

I agree SD..This should definitely be a article on all the Poke sites showing the compassion that Pokemon can instill onto others in a time of need. :thumb: :biggrin:

Awesome is great word for it.

Gotta Love This Game.

I posted _before_ I had a chance to look at your pictures, Mike. They made me cry.

THIS is why I love this game, and the people who play and work at it, so much...and am so proud to be a part of this game's community.

Thank you again for sharing. PLEASE let us know if we can send you any of our 'extra' supplies for this...

'mom

OMG on what you are doing.... that is so beuatiful and allows kids to get there minds off of what is around them even for a little while. Adults can adjust and adapt a lot easier, and the kids I think have a much more difficult task do to youth and inexperience. That is totally awesome.

This should definitely be put on Home Page, Front Page, and sent to Newspapers/ TV... that is awesome!

This is beautiful. I haven't seen the pictures yet, but I love the idea you guys had. Playing this game means a lot to players(newcomers, professors and experts) who has bonded with this awesome game. Keep up the good work!
Peter

You have to love this...You simply do.

Any of you who have met Mike, Kathy and their family know JUST HOW in step with them this really is.

Rocketman, you too...not leaving you out sir...

These are good, good people and we are blessed to know them.

If anyone needs his (Mike Schell's) address for additional Poke'supplies, please PM me, and I will make sure you get his address.

As I have stressed all along, there are people who realize that the game is bigger than they are....and as we now see, there are things we can do with the game that help a situation, even for a few shining faces, that are much bigger than the game.

Praise you all for stepping forward in such a unique way...

Is there a "Diamond" award for Spirit of the Game???

Vince

=O
Wish I had a means of helping out, but a lot of the kids here are strapped for cash and don't have a means of income. I wish I could throw down and ship out a bunch of theme decks(dad owns a UPS store ftw)

Keep rockin' guys! (it's cool seeing a few famliar faces in those pictures)

What you are doing for all the people that have suffered from Katrina is amazing, I'm sure you guys put a smile on a lot of peoples faces that day.

This should definatly be front page news on all Pokemon sites, heck, this should be news in Newspapers somewhere.

It just goes to show you how great the people in this game are, keep up the great work.

As I sit here, at my work desk, after putting in nearly 12 straight hours in court, on my feet, there is NO WAY I can complain about work being tough when you look at what these folks have gone thru and then to see the wonderful humanitarian efforts of the Schell family (and the Rocketman too for themedecks!!!) at these shelters. I thought the news that Brent S. was safe was uplifting....WOW....I may not forget these images for decades! This should be a Pokemon POP news release and POP/PUI ought to ship in items for these shelters!! Talk about spreading the game and all that is good about it! Those kids will not stop talking about learning that "new game of Pokemon" all week long. Many will soon be fans. You guys ROCK! If POP/PUI has a yearly award for something...you guys just got the gold, silver and bronze in 1 family!!! GREAT JOB!!

Keith

:clap: :thumb: :cool:

Wow, just wow. It's simply amazing how disasters can bring out the best in people. Excellent, excellent job.

Not only should this story should be front page news, but it should be front and center on the Pokemon TCG website as well. It's an excellent human interest/PR story.

- Croatian (once in a while, we do some good) Nidoking

If PUI/Nintendo doesn't get this out on billboards and newspapers accross the US (not to mention their websites...), then they're missing an amazing marketing opportunity. What better way to get people to care about the game than to show that you care about them having fun? Really, I can see the TV/online advertisement right now...

*fade in to white text on black background*
Hurricane Katrina decimated the lower Mississippi area *5 seconds*
*fade into various survival pictures/movies, doesn't matter what, Superdome might be nice* *chopper sounds* *7 seconds*
*fade back into text*
Lives were decimated *5 seconds*
*more survival pictures/movies* *chopper/bus/ambulance sounds* *7-10 seconds*
*fade back into text*
We are just doing our part to help everyone out *5 seconds*
*fade into shelter league pics/movies, lots of laughing, smiling, fun times* *inspirational music* *15 seconds*
*fade into PTCG logo*

Needs refining, but a perfect opportunity to get at the very least the Missippi Valley area in, if not the rest of the country...

Back