Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Level Max...

h0bbesteroo

Can you u play Level Max trainer if you don't have any Pokemon in play that are able to level up?
I know you can "play it" but can you go through your deck and shuffle afterward even though you you don't have any Pokemon that can level up?

Thanks in advance...

Yes you can. This is just like playing a Bebe's or Celio's and not getting or pokemon, or not haveing a pokemon in your deck. You can always use a search and abandon it in the middle of the search.
If you weren't able to play it then it would need to say something about the stipulation on the card. And there is no definite of the kinds of changes they could make to the LV X mechanic (meaning maybe they could give us LV Xs that are not final form, ex: Pikachu LV X) so they probably did not put stipulations on there on purpose.

Actualy no, you cant. Despite the contents of your deck not being public knowledge, your pokemon in play ARE. If you have a bench full of Pikachus, the game knows you cant level up any of them, and you cant play a card for no effect.

I was at her league and noticed this, but she forgot to say that her bench had no pokemon that could be leveled up. Meaning that none of her pokemon have a known level x. Which is common knowledge. So i would say no.

Actualy no, you cant. Despite the contents of your deck not being public knowledge, your pokemon in play ARE. If you have a bench full of Pikachus, the game knows you cant level up any of them, and you cant play a card for no effect.

ShyckleLVX FTW.

And "tsk, tsk" to the other profs answering this.

There is a similar ruling that applies:

Q. Can I use Wally's Training on a Mewtwo to search my deck, even though there is no evolution of Mewtwo?
A. No, there has to at least be the possibility of a valid evolution in order to use this card. Sorry. (Jan 22, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

I don't know. The card says to play it, then flip a coin, and if you get heads you then search. This isn't like Wally's where the first thing you do is choose a pokemon to level up. You don't even get to the choosing phase until you flip heads.

I can understand why someone would think you could 'burn' it with a bench full of pikachus.

I don't know. The card says to play it, then flip a coin, and if you get heads you then search. This isn't like Wally's where the first thing you do is choose a pokemon to level up. You don't even get to the choosing phase until you flip heads.

I can understand why someone would think you could 'burn' it with a bench full of pikachus.

Well, if you have a Pokemon that can Level up, then its fine, as you dont have to target anything till after flipping heads.

If you have no Pokemon in play that can possibly Level up, I guess the game knows that if you flip heads, you won't be able to target anything.

What it comes down to is that you can't play a trainer when it is known beforehand that it will have no effect on the game state beyond simply discarding that card. Yes, there's an element of uncertainty with the flip, which comes before the check, but it's no different from playing TSD with no Pokemon in your discard. It's known beforehand that regardless of how the flips come out, there's no possible way for you to change the game state.

What it comes down to is that you can't play a trainer when it is known beforehand that it will have no effect on the game state beyond simply discarding that card. Yes, there's an element of uncertainty with the flip, which comes before the check, but it's no different from playing TSD with no Pokemon in your discard. It's known beforehand that regardless of how the flips come out, there's no possible way for you to change the game state.

I thought searching the deck was an effect?

Im not a professor but if you flip heads with Lv.Max it can have a good effect even if it doesn't lv up anything. Like if my opponent uses a foresight attack and reoder my top 5 cards, i can maeby suffle it before drawing 2 of them with Buck. It also let's you check what cards are in your prizes. I agree to Jasyon (even if it's worth of nothing) that it should count as an effect...

PokePop gave us a ruling that fits this situation pretty well imho. Evolving is a lot like Leveling up. If something doesn't have an evolution, you can't play Wally. If something doesn't have a Lv.X of it, then you can't play Level Max and target it.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Think of 'the Game' as a person watching your game from a distance. Are they going to know if you have a gardevior in your deck? No. So, you can wally on a Pokemon that has an evolution even if you know it isn't in your deck. Are they going to know if heracross has an evolution? Of course. They know heracross doesn't have an evolution, so you can't wally with a heracross active to ultimately find no evolution in the deck.

Are they going to know if there is a Pikachu Lv.X? Of course. That is why you can't play a Level Max when all the Pokemon you have in play have no legal Lv.X to level up into.

I said it this way in another thread somewhere:

The game has no specific knowledge of the contents of your deck, but it does know every card that exists and has the potential to be there. You can't search your deck for a card that is non-existent. You can search for a card that exists, even though it might not be in your deck.

Back