Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

MARIO goes Top 16 at Nats!

KingGengar

Hello neighbors and friends!

I decided at the last minute to "sneak" into Nationals by leaving Friday morning and arriving in time to register on Friday evening, and then to check into a hotel, test a little, and sleep. Every part of this plan happened except the sleep :lol:

Saturday morning, I walked the two miles from the hotel to the Convention Center and found my friends, Matt (Prime), David, and his son, Matthew.

OK, so I decided to go with Mario, plain and simple, with the Sableye tech for Banette.

ROUND 1 Linda Malik (mirror match)

I actually played Linda first round at *last* year's Nats also! What are the odds? She went ahead on prizes early because I started with the tech, but she didn't use the Holon engine, so I was able to speed past her, and win.
1-0

ROUND 2 Peter Ortiz (Flygon)

Not really a bad matchup, but I couldn't get the energy when I wanted it. There was a Mew* with 30 damage in front of me, and a Ray d EX on the bench with 90 damage and I couldn't capitalize Aura Sphere, so it was from there easy for Peter.

1-1 (DON'T PANIC!)

ROUND 3 Linda (Empoleon)

Not the "secret deck" but a decent one. She tried to snipe, but I kept KO'ing here Pokemon, so that was that.

2-1

ROUND 4 Roy (Infernape)

Good deck, and he played well, but I kept shutting down the cats with CC and hurting them with Cursed Stone. Finally, his ape KO'd a Lucario, but I Revenge'd with 3 Plus Power I was hoarding. I'll say it again - Ape is autowin for Mario.

3-1

ROUND 5 Eggs (can't remember your name, sorry)

Basically, this was autowin anyway, but it didn't help that all of his Exeggutors were prized!

4-1

ROUND 6 Christian Ortiz (Speed Spread/Lucario ... I think)

It was a good game, but once I turned the momentum, I didn't lose it.

5-1

ROUND 7 Lucario/something (didn't see the whole deck)

We both start Riolu. I go first. Heads. He goes. Heads. I lay Machop and retreat Riolu, lay Energy, then Plus Power. He kinda stormed off.

6-1

ROUND 8 Delta 2 (Jeremiah J.)

He played Kingler/Raichu/Ray, and it was a good deck, but it was an easy win. Very nice fellow... good meeting you.

7-1

OK, it looks like I'm in... I just have to make sure by winning the next game.

ROUND 9 (drum roll) Banette (Adam Capriola)

He did donk-o-rama.

7-2

There was tension in the air, because we weren't sure if all the 7-2's would make it. They didn't... but *I* did! Number 23! :biggrin::thumb: BTW, another Mario made Top 32 also (Emmanuel).

SUNDAY

TOP 32 Delta 2 (Jeremiah J)

Yep, a rematch from yesterday. The games were closer than Saturday's, but I won both pretty quickly.

8-2

TOP 16 Speed Spread [Absolutions, if you like] (Chris Fulop)

Game 1. He starts Celebi EX and loses it in 3 turns. He takes the next 3 prizes. I take an EX for 2. He then takes 2 more. I'm down to my last Pokemon, Machamp (my other Machop is prized, and Sableye was discarded for Holon engine). It's fully powered and ready to go, and everything he has is damaged or weak to Fighting. He brings up Holon Voltorb, and paralyzes Machamp! If he misses, I most likely win, but he gets it. He misses next turn's Paralysis, and I have no choice but to KO the Voltorb. I also place Energy Root on Machamp. Chris Windstorms the Root, moves a damage counter to Machamp with Absol EX, then Revenges with Mew EX FTW.

Game 2. This went better for me. The first game was 1/2-hour mega-battle. This one went to the wire. I had 4 prizes left with less than 10 minutes. He sacrificed 2 non-EX in order to power up other things. I had Cursed Stone running and he couldn't stop it. He Windstorms the Cursed Stone, drops Vaporeon EX to bring my enormous hand down to 4. Luckily, I drew Cursed Stone again. Final turn, I use Aura Sphere and Cursed Stone to KO a Jolteon EX on his bench.

Game 3. Time was called after the second game. So, sudden death. Chris elects to go first. I have Riolu, Energy, Celio's, Castaway, Holon Transceiver, Plus Power, and Holon Lass. Basically, a perfect setup for a 6-prize game, but this ain't no six-prizer. I wish greatly for his Active to be an Eevee or something wickedly cool for me, but it's Mew EX. He places Psychic Energy, and lays Lunatone. Instead of 20+ flip Paralyze, he elects to get Transceiver. My turn, I have to decide on a plan. I know I need Lucario with a Cessation Crystal, and I formulate my plan. But I misplay. I'm so deep in thought about my second turn, that I play Celio's instead of Castaway and get Lucario. I even try to lay Lucario down! Only when the judge reminds me that it's only first turn do I get the picture. So all I have left is Wild Kick, which I do for 30. Chris uses Tranceiver to get Mentor to get Celebi EX and Jolteon*. He lays the Jolteon*, which adds a damage to Riolu, SSU fails, 2nd SSU (!) succeeds, and he lays Jolteon* AGAIN for another damage on Riolu. Then, second Energy to Mew, lay Celebi, hit for 30, weakness, gg.

So, it was a GREAT match, and I have the privilege to know that I *almost* moved to Top 8 through our new National Champion.

Chris is not only to be admired for his championship, but also his SOTG. When he had the opportunity to stall out the 2nd game, and thus win the match, he did *not* do any such thing, but played at a speed favorable to me. I believe in karma, and Chris deserves his trophy for both skill and poise.

PROPS

* well-organized
* great judges
* speedy starts to games
* my great friends, who supported me the whole way, especially our "drummer"
* Mike Reynolds, for never giving up
* everyone from Tennessee!~

SLOPS

* ratings system needs to be overhauled

:thumb:

You are awesome Tom. Great job with your top 16, but more importantly, great job for proving that Mario is a real deck. Excellent work.

Hiya, I was the guy you played round 5, my name's Aaron. Great job on making the top 16!:thumb: It was nice meeting you and I hope to play you again in the future. :smile:

I've been gagging for some reports from US nats, and this is a great one!
Great job dude! :biggrin:

I still dont see synergy with Lucario and Machamp... there is NO synergy whatsoever imo... but hey if it works!

good job

Ugh so good at Pokemon!

It's a shame I didn't get to meet one of the only other fans of this deck...hehe, oh well. :D

GJ Tom! :clap: Nice to see a player put their deck out there BEFORE Nats, say, here it is, deal with it and then back it up. Very impressive.

Keith

No offense but I am still not convinced this deck is good. I am sorry but Lucario Stinks IMO, it is just insanely fast!!!!!

I don't see you making top 16 at nationals buddy. Especially with something that 'not real'/'good'. If Tom can make cut with such a 'bad' deck, that sure says something about his player skill compared to yours. ne?

Did someone say drummer?

Good job Tom. Next year is your year, break the format.

I'd like to say that this puts the nail in the coffin of the thought that you have to keep your best ideas secret to do well with them. A few people told Tom that because he posted his list and strategy for the deck, they decided to pick it up, and one of them also made the top 16.

Mr. SOTG!

Great Job Tom. It was a great game that we had in Round 2. It sucks that you didn't get the Energy, and I am happy that you made T16. GL in your future events.

-Peter

IT'S A MARIO!!!!
Great job man. Despite not making cut, I gotta say, this deck was still fun. You inspired me to play it too. Great job on making top 16! =D

ERIK/ KEVIN: Thanks, dudes! Your support means a lot.
GATSU: I appreciate that, man.
AARON: nice to meet you too, and hope to see you soon.
AFIRULE: Thank you!
HITMONCHAN93: Good to see you also. Good luck!
VEGETA, POLITOED: well, thanks, I think ??
CKELLY: say hello to my leetle fren' !
PATRIARCH: Thanks! Did I see you there and not know you??
STRIPES: Dig it! :)
KEITH: Yup. Definitely proved that particular thing. You did a great job too!
TJ: awww, shucks!
MATT: Yo! You are the most cheerleadingest of em all!
PETER: Hey, man, no sweat. You played a great game and congrats on top 32. Hope to see you soon.
MIKE: Dude, you hung in there, and I'm proud of ya. You are *not* dead to me! :-D

Back