Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Mercury vs Mynx (now with Mercury build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaic

edit: the merc discussion was taking over another topic, so I moved it to its own thread, 'snore

metagross said:
I wonder how this would do against Mercury. I know, I know, no one plays that in US, but it will surely be played here.

Mew ex is weak to Gardi (similarly Gardi is weak to Mew) and you cant keep your lock, since they will just move their Energies to the active. Is BF your only hope in this matchup?
I'd love to give you the chance to playtest the matchup sometime. On paper, I think Mercury has a significant advantage, so long as it doesn't fall into the trap of trying to build a monster, but that can really only be confirmed by actually giving it a go.

It'd certainly be amusing if this deck, now that it's been posted, becomes one of the main decks (over)played at Worlds, leading to Mercury actually being a viable choice.

Last edited:
Pablo said:
the deck can just keep getting infinite Battle Frontiers and pows to leave something up energy less and then procceed to pure power the bench, mercury isnt even a real deck.

Right....

Let's look at this *without* the kneejerk "not a deck" reaction, shall we?

• Starmie's bypass the problem of a potential lock, thanks to free retreat.
  • Holon Energy WP also bypasses lock problems, when not POWed
  • Holon Energy WP on benched prevents damage from Pure Power
  • Holon Energy WP on benched allows me to prevent specific Pokémon from being dragged into the active position, allowing me to dictate who can and can't be dragged forward.
  • Mew ex is vulnerable to a single attack from a Kirlia or Gardevoir, due to weakness.
  • In the turn needed to retrieve a Battle Frontier, Mercury has already had 2 turns of activity, with the safe assumption that at least one Mew ex has been KOed during this period of time.

Now, it's 1:27am here, so I may not be thinking clearly, and there could easily be something I've missed, but that looks like a pretty severe disadvantage for this deck against any Mercury that's properly played.

@Archaic:
Starmie: That's what Wobb is for...loool
BF: You don't need to retrieve it with a Mew. Just retrieve it with Minun and then start pow!ing everything.

b0n3z said:
@Archaic:
Starmie: That's what Wobb is for...loool
Ah, so it *is* the LM Wobbuffet. I wasn't sure, since it wasn't specified. Still, not an real obstacle. Power up one bench Pokémon, pay the retreat cost, get it back via Farmer or some other means. A retreat cost of 1 simply doesn't have the impact that a larger cost might have, especially when combined with the fact that you have no way of harming my benched Pokémon with Holon WP attached.
Quick question BTW....is there a ruling on the interaction of Wobbuffet and Holon WP at all? If we apply the usual order (With Wobbuffet, as the one causing the effect, being the "Attacker", and the Pokémon intending to be retreated the "Defender"), it looks like it'd be a free retreat, but I'm tired, and possibily not thinking straight there. ^^;

b0n3z said:
BF: You don't need to retrieve it with a Mew. Just retrieve it with Minun and then start pow!ing everything.
Well, yes, that is of course possible. But how likely are you to have had a Minun active when your Battle Frontier was eliminated, forcing that retrieval? On any turn Mercury eliminates the Battle Frontier, you lose your active Pokémon, without fail.

This matchup really does come down to the Holon WP, but really, playing intelligently, I see no reason why Mercury should lose this matchup. With WP in play, Mercury is able to dictate to this deck which of its Pokémon it'll allow to be active, allowing it to basically control the flow of the game. A control deck like this can't really afford that kind of situation.

You usually have 2 Fett (maybe even 3 if nothing is prized) in play. Which means your opponent cannot power up a Powed basic in one turn and you can Pow the energy he/she attaches away.

Starmie would have 2 (3) retreat cost in this case, meaning you would have to rely on a Poké-Power to retreat it and those powers are not working with BF out.

Not to mention that you'd be quite hesitant to load your bench against a Mercury where it could be avoided.

It seems to me that Mercury could win by simply building a tank Gardevoir DS on the bench (protected by WP from being switched in by anything but a POW), allow everything else it has in play to be KOed, except for backups protected by more WP, and then just steamrollering. The only attack you might have that could do damage to really it is Gardevoir's own, and without a large bench behind it, that attack is worthless.

Last edited:
Archaic, honestly Mercury would have almost no way of beating this deck.

It takes 2 Energy to get free retreat, and at least 2 to pay for retreat if its not free. Here's what happens:

Eventually you run out of Stadiums and can't counter Frontier.
Then they Pow! all of your Energy to the bench until you run out of Energy.
Then they obliterate your bench and you can't get anything good Active.
Any time you attach an Energy, it gets Pow!ed and you're back where you were last turn, still not able to attack and still not in any position to win the game.

There are a lot of cards/moves that hurt this deck but Mercury only has 1 or 2 of them and no way to search for them. Not to mention the fact that you'd expend all your resources just to attack and all that will do is make Pow! more powerful :frown:

You're just going to have to take my word on this, sorry.

I'd be happy to playtest it, though sadly, I'll probably never be able to do it against you directly. I'm totally different timezone to you all, and am busy with full time work, not to mention my site. I've been altering my trainer builds recently, trying to make Mercury quicker, and I'd love to see what could be done here, but as far as playtesting goes, except for maybe having someone at my league building this and testing it against them, all I'm good for would be some build advice for whoever wants to take Mercury against this thing.

TacC said:
Archaic, honestly Mercury would have almost no way of beating this deck.
What I just outlined in my post previous would seem to be a pretty easy way to me, but anyway...

TacC said:
It takes 2 Energy to get free retreat, and at least 2 to pay for retreat if its not free. Here's what happens:

Eventually you run out of Stadiums and can't counter Frontier.
Irrelevant, as far as I see it, seeing as Mercury doesn't need its abilities every single turn here. Significant damage can be done in just one turn without Battle Frontier active, every time Mercury plays a Stadium, and that's all that's needed. Also, this deck's ability to get Battle Frontier isn't rather limited, seeing as it'd have to waste an attack getting the card.

TacC said:
Then they Pow! all of your Energy to the bench until you run out of Energy.
They can only Pow! so many times before it has to start using Minun's attack to get them back, and they can't really afford to waste that time. Also, they have to be losing to use that Pow! What if Mercury is the one down on prizes initially?

TacC said:
Then they obliterate your bench and you can't get anything good Active.
Anything protected by Holon WP on the bench can't be hurt by any attack they'd realistically be able to throw. Not to mention that, as I just pointed out here before, getting rid of the bench (leaving Mercury initially down on prizes, and making Pow! irrelevant), leaving a Pokémon with Holon WP attached as the only active, is an effective counter to this deck.

TacC said:
Any time you attach an Energy, it gets Pow!ed and you're back where you were last turn, still not able to attack and still not in any position to win the game.
And what makes you think energies would be attached from hand to the active? Not to mention that they can only Pow! so many times, and can only do so when they're down on prizes, something no sane Mercury player would let them get until it no longer mattered.

TacC said:
There are a lot of cards/moves that hurt this deck but Mercury only has 1 or 2 of them and no way to search for them. Not to mention the fact that you'd expend all your resources just to attack and all that will do is make Pow! more powerful :frown:

You're just going to have to take my word on this, sorry.
If people are going to throw Pow!'s all over the place like you seem to suggest, it seems more like it's this deck which will run out of its counters, before Mercury does. Oh, sure, they could all end up being eternal, but they still need to waste a whole turn grabbing it, once they've exhausted the deck.

As far as Mercury's searching for the counters for this deck goes....(Holon Tranciever =>) Holon Lass => Holon Energy WP. Wow, how hard was that? Granted, it's not guarenteed, but it doesn't need to be. The same goes for the other counters, Space Center for Wobby (Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if it's evolved, it's still also a basic, not a stage 1, so it's vulnerable), and Warp Point for all-purpose switching. They will all more than likely turn up from an Admin or Porygon2 draw at some point. No need to search specifically for them when you can simply calculate the odds and make sure you include the right amount of cards in your deck.

Both decks are built for long matches which take up most of the timeframe, so that you rarely get more than the initial match in a best out of 3. There will be a lot of jockeying for position, as both sides try to set themselves up, and matches will go down to the wire simply because each side is forced into long periods where they can do practically nothing to the other, for fear of the counters, counter-counters, and counter-counter-counter's coming into play. (I could easily see both sides passing their attacks for long stretches, because Mercury doesn't want to go up on prizes until it can setup a backup attacker for when Pow! hits, and this deck doesn't want to go up on prizes and lose the threat of Pow!) Mercury will not "own" this deck, in the sense that the matches would be quick victories, but it should win the majority of matches between competant players of the decks.

Or so it looks to me on paper, anyway. You would probably say that Battle Frontier is a hard counter to Mercury. I'd say it's a soft counter, and that Mercury doesn't need its PokéPower's for anything more than the few short turns that its own stadium's would be able to buy it, if even that, and that you can't get it consistantly, something which you'd dispute. Likewise, I say that Holon WP on a Gardevoir, with a clear bench (or with only WP attached backup Pokémon) is a hard counter to this deck, while you'd say that I couldn't get them out consistantly, something that I'd dispute. Really, there's only one way for this to be settled, and that's for competant and experienced players of both decks (and right now, with the limited amount of people playing either deck, there's few of those) to playtest them over and over against each other.

Anyway, putting that aside now, I'm interested to know....how has this deck done in metagame testing against the current main US decks? Has it actually been tested against all of them yet, and if so, what are the win/loss ratios? I think that's a lot more important and interesting to most of the people reading this, than yet another long drawn out debate on the merits (or lack thereof, depending on your perspective) of Mercury Vs. the latest deck on the block.

Archaic said:
Irrelevant, as far as I see it, seeing as Mercury doesn't need its abilities every single turn here. Significant damage can be done in just one turn without Battle Frontier active, every time Mercury plays a Stadium, and that's all that's needed. Also, this deck's ability to get Battle Frontier isn't rather limited, seeing as it'd have to waste an attack getting the card.

Two things here. First, how many Stadiums do you actually play in Mercury? 3...4...? So lets say that everytime you play a Stadium you can use your powers and can pull off a KO. So you can pull off 3 maybe 4 KOs. That still doesn't win you the game, and after the first KO you pull off the POWs! start coming.

Secondly, I don't understand how it's a waste of a turn to get back BF with Sniff Out. All I really care about IS Sniffing Out for things like BF or POW! during my turn. Until you're out of energy and switch cards, I don't have to care at all about doing damage to you, I just have to care about wasting your resources. Mynx plays 4 BF, and lets say that Mercury plays 4 too. That's merely ONE time Mynx needs to use Sniff Out for BF and then you've got no more Stadiums to use. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'd use a turn to lock in BF permenatly for the rest of the game.

Archaic said:
They can only Pow! so many times before it has to start using Minun's attack to get them back, and they can't really afford to waste that time. Also, they have to be losing to use that Pow! What if Mercury is the one down on prizes initially?

Again to mention that there is no "wasted" time using Sniff Out. I don't have to care about damaging you till later. With that in mind, what makes you think that Mynx will ever kill anything except FTW? It's not hard to take 6 prizes in one turn. There's no reason I need to take a prize except to take all 6 FTW, and you can bet that I won't take a prize unless I will still be behind.

Archaic said:
Anything protected by Holon WP on the bench can't be hurt by any attack they'd realistically be able to throw. Not to mention that, as I just pointed out here before, getting rid of the bench (leaving Mercury initially down on prizes, and making Pow! irrelevant), leaving a Pokémon with Holon WP attached as the only active, is an effective counter to this deck.

I'm pretty sure that Mew can realistically use Gardevoirs attack to hit the pokemon with WP on it, since Garde's attack does damage rather than places it (correct me if I'm wrong there). Then after all your pokemon have 20HP left, I can Negative Spark FTW, since everything you use has a power.

Now having only an Active in play takes care of the POW!s but I guaruntee that I can KO your only active faster than you can KO 6 of my Pokémon.

I think the rest of the points are covered so nothing more to really quote. I think the reason it seems like Mynx would have a hard time to you is because you're not used to the way Mynx is actually played. It takes a far different playstyle to use that most of the decks (probaby all) out there right now. You have to do things you usually would not want to do.

Please don't take anything I've said as an attack to you or Mercury, I just wanted to debate some of the points being made. Like you said, I want to know the playtesting results for Mynx and other mainstream decks.

Yes, I'm assuming. That's why you have to inflict them with disruption till they run out of those cards. Personally, I'd rather lock up the Gardevoir than the Starmie. It needs two to attack and more to retreat, so the POW!s will always take care of that, and if it does DRE, then it can't do anything still since it would have to have damage on it to do anything and I wouldn't have any damage on it.

If Mynx can beat Flariados, then it can handle A Briney and a few other tricks.

Ditto said:
Yes, I'm assuming. That's why you have to inflict them with disruption till they run out of those cards. Personally, I'd rather lock up the Gardevoir than the Starmie. It needs two to attack and more to retreat, so the POW!s will always take care of that, and if it does DRE, then it can't do anything still since it would have to have damage on it to do anything and I wouldn't have any damage on it.

If Mynx can beat Flariados, then it can handle A Briney and a few other tricks.

If each time they lay a gym they can attack, and each time they lay a switch they can attack, and each time they lay a briney they can attack, and they can attack really early, maybe once.

That's 4 chance(gyms), 2 switch, 1 briney, 1 early. That's 8 chances to take a prize. They need 6 to win.

Hmmm....before I respond fully to that last post, I should probably ask this question.

How often does the Mew ex see play as the active? It seemed to me that you'd generally want to keep it active, so you could react to situations as quickly as possible, but perhaps that isn't the case. Could someone enlighten me here? As I saw it, while Mercury only had a few opportunities to pull off a win...it didn't really need many. Either it allows an initial KO against it, or both decks hold from KOing the opponent, and it wins in the final stages before time is called with the cards it horded for an attack, scoring a KO against a Mew ex that can't be won back in quick enough time. (You could KO the Gardevoir who scored the attack by copying it with another Mew ex, but then that'd just fall to another benched Kirlia or Gardevoir)

It'd probably help if we'd all understood exactly how the other's decks are meant to be played before we bogged ourselves down in this debate. ^^;;

As far as Gardevoir's attack goes, yes, Mew can use that to bypass WP, but you'd need to actually have damage counters on Mew to attack the bench, and Mew won't survive a single attack from a powered Gardevoir DS, or even potentially a Kirlia DS's Psychic Boom. Since it does damage, it's also vulnerable to Metal Energies. You'd be pulled into a situation quickly where you're left with Pokémon who you can't KO or damage, due to Metal attachment, and in that situation, you've got to deal with the fact you would no longer have the use of Pow!.

....and what the hell would that do? He's weak to Psychic, his retreat cost is too high, and the damage reduction is largely irrelevant unless he's the final guy standing.

By that same token, anyone playing with a Registeel ex tech when they know this deck is in the field are insane. You do *not* want them pulling Registeel ex into play.

Lets see here
80 HP (Basic Good)+ Energy Root= 100 HP
4 Metals+Delta Reduction= Reducing 70
Gardy (EM) Heals 20
So thats a 100 HP basic that can be reducing 90 a turn. IMO that is pretty darn good.

The Mynx matchup looks tough for you, but you have ways to get around it. I don't think that you have a significant advantage, but if you escape the BF lock (most delta decks ought to play 4 gyms and a scott or five IMO), then they really don't have much hope. Just be really intelligent with your plays, because a couple bad moves WILL cost you the game.

RE Elm: tanking really doesn't work because they throw a barrage of status effects and damage counters at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back