Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

No scholarships and ONE trip for our nationals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desert eagle

Does P-USA not realize it costs twice as much to fly from Toronto to Vancouver than it does to Florida? These cuts are beyond ridiclous

Does P-USA not realize it costs twice as much to fly from Toronto to Vancouver than it does to Florida? These cuts are beyond ridiclous

You just made their point for them. The budget doesn't change, so we're going to get fewer trips exactly because the airfare in this country is absurd. The pool of dollars only goes so far.

And we also still get way more trips both per capita and per player than the US does. 1 trip per 200ish Masters may seem harsh, but not compared to 4 trips for over 1000 Masters down there.

You can drive from Toronto to Vancouver.

Yeah, in like, four days. Even if you cut through the states, it's still almost 4400 km.

Eh, it's still super discouraging to see prizes cut, no matter the reason. Especially since Kaijudo's almost pooping out free trips to Seattle this year.

(In before "Kaijudo's just doing it to generate interest!" etc.)

one could argue in the country with the second hardest nationals:
1)last year they removed all prize money
2)this year they have limited it to just 1st place getting the trip
3)next year....

The only explanation I can think of is that they need the funding for European trips to Vancouver.

C'mon. You have a national in you country and you still cry ?

Let's compare a little bit the fares all over the world for round trips :
Buenos Aires - Vancouver 1500$ (average salary 1100$/month)
Kuala Lumpur - Vancouver 2000$ (average salary 950$/month)
Jakarta - Vancouver 2850$ (average salary 200$/month)
Seoul - Vancouver 1700$ (average salary 2900$/month)
Melbourne - Vancouver 1900$ (average salary 2600$/month)
Berlin - Vancouver 1600$ (average salary 2700$/month)

How much is from Toronto to Vancouver ? 600$ ? Stop crying like a baby ;)
Very few counties have more than one paid trip... Only UK, France and Germany comes in mind.

C'mon. You have a national in you country and you still cry ?

Let's compare a little bit the fares all over the world for round trips :
Buenos Aires - Vancouver 1500$ (average salary 1100$/month)
Kuala Lumpur - Vancouver 2000$ (average salary 950$/month)
Jakarta - Vancouver 2850$ (average salary 200$/month)
Seoul - Vancouver 1700$ (average salary 2900$/month)
Melbourne - Vancouver 1900$ (average salary 2600$/month)
Berlin - Vancouver 1600$ (average salary 2700$/month)

How much is from Toronto to Vancouver ? 600$ ? Stop crying like a baby ;)
Very few counties have more than one paid trip... Only UK, France and Germany comes in mind.

I hate how people assume. It's over $1000. Please don't post before research you ______*

---------- Post added 06/14/2013 at 06:50 AM ----------

It's funny that Italy has 2 paid trips

I hate how people assume. It's over $1000. Please don't post before research you ______*

---------- Post added 06/14/2013 at 06:50 AM ----------

It's funny that Italy has 2 paid trips

That is not Pokemon OR geography's fault. That is a ridiculous price to charge to fly to another part of your country.

Acording to Pokemon.com, Brazil is 2nd the country with the widest number of masters playing this season (500 something). Germany is in my opinion the 2nd most competitive National in the world with more than 10 masters that had at least 400CP before their Nationals. I don't see how Canada is the 2nd most competitive national in the world....

As you can see there Toronto - Vancouver for worlds period is slightly more than 600$ :
http://mokoenashack.com/images/edciv2.jpg

PS: I found that it is even cheaper with Westjet if you arrive friday and leave monday...

Last edited:

SebastianS, I hate how you assume that the price is over $1000, when the actual price for the cheapest non-stop flight I can find is actually $633 USD ($644 CAD).

Source: http://www.kayak.com/#/flights/YTO-YVR/2013-08-07/2013-08-12 (Retrieved 6/14/2013, 10:42 AM EST)
$633
WestJet/Sunwing Airlines
08/07/2013 - YYZ 12:45p > YVR 2:49p, 5h 04m, nonstop
08/12/2013 - YVR 10:35p > YYZ 6:05a, 4h 30m, nonstop
Coach

Please don't post before you do some research. Also, what falcom4ever said: stop crying like a baby.

SebastianS, I hate how you assume that the price is over $1000, when the actual price for the cheapest non-stop flight I can find is actually $633 USD ($644 CAD).

Source: http://www.kayak.com/#/flights/YTO-YVR/2013-08-07/2013-08-12 (Retrieved 6/14/2013, 10:42 AM EST)
$633
WestJet/Sunwing Airlines
08/07/2013 - YYZ 12:45p > YVR 2:49p, 5h 04m, nonstop
08/12/2013 - YVR 10:35p > YYZ 6:05a, 4h 30m, nonstop
Coach

Please don't post before you do some research. Also, what falcom4ever said: stop crying like a baby.

Please tell me where you will be sleeping. Couch maybe, bus stop bench?
When you are making travel arrangements, you must include place of stay cost also.

Then you have to include the price of food, but thats at your own expenditure, but expect $100 atleast(if youre really cutting it close)
I rather take $1200 and book a 2 week all expenses paid trip to Cuba/Caribbean countries than go to worlds for 4 days.

Thank you, have a nice day.

Last edited:
Please tell me where you will be sleeping. Couch maybe, bus stop bench?
When you are making travel arrangements, you must include place of stay cost also.

Thank you, have a nice day.

falcom4ever was comparing AIRFARE only. You were responding to a comment about airfare, so with adequate reading comprehension ability, you should know that whatever number you throw out there should be a comparison of airfare only. Even with the hotel, there's no way someone who's cost-conscious from Toronto will need to spend $1000 on worlds.

I'm staying with some friends at Coast Coal Harbor (2.5 blocks from the convention center) for $36 a night for 4 nights. With the $633 airfare, that trip would only cost $777 USD ($790 CAD). My actual trip is a lot cheaper than that (I'm flying from New York) because I booked my tickets early and my flight costs about $510 USD.

Yes but not everyone books flights early, because they do not even know they are going to worlds or not.(invite is important)
Your logic is very flawed. Airfare always will include a place of stay, because if you have no where to stay why are you going to set location. Doesnt make sense. Unless you have family/friends in that location you cannot assume only airfare.
Thats why you always see planes+hotels being sold together as packages.

What if you dont have any friends to stay with, will your hotel bill be alot bigger?

You assume alot of things, thus makes you look pretty dumb

congratulation you love pokemon enough to travel somewhere invite or not.
but not everyone is like that.

Your logic is very flawed.

You are making me not only agree with psychup2034, but spurring me on to actively side with him. Please consider what that means.

Also please work on your "logic" skills.

1) Airfare in Canada is pricey. This is either the fault of Canadian government or natural market forces (I don't know how much Canadian government interferes). Either way, it is not the fault of Pokémon.

2) We are comparing airfare. Yes, there are related costs, but funny thing - hotel costs don't usually discriminate about where you are from. The variable factor is the airfare as long as you have similar hotel conditions (if you don't, that is a separate matter).

3) How much you earn does matter: you didn't list the average monthly earnings of Canadians to match up to the rest of falcom4ever's figures. Doing a quick Google search, the figure I found for average hourly Canadian salary for full time employees is $25.20, where "full time" is a minimum of 30 hours per week... crunching numbers I then get an average monthly salary of $3276 Canadian. So using your own airfare numbers, it is still much less expensive than the others cited by falcom4ever.

There are many things one can consider, but they are irrelevant to the discussion of airfare. Considering that this is a trading card game and profit is not directly generated through an event like this (at best it can be viewed as advertising), the player base is fortunate there are any travel awards. The exact nature of Organized Play can be handled very differently and Pokémon still generate a profit.

Your logic is very flawed. Airfare always will include a place of stay, because if you have no where to stay why are you going to set location. Doesnt make sense. Unless you have family/friends in that location you cannot assume only airfare.

Neither falcom4ever nor I were assuming that you only had to pay airfare. We are merely just talking about airfare. The people in those other countries (Australia, Germany, Philippines, etc.) all have to pay for a hotel too. You seem to not understand the concept of "context." Let me explain. In the context of falcom4ever's post, he was only comparing the relative airfare from different countries to Vancouver. (Whether those numbers are real or not, I'm not sure, since he never cited any sources. They do seem a bit high.)

Therefore, when you are making a comparison, you also need to compare apples to apples. You should have indicated that your "over $1,000" estimate includes both airfare AND hotel.

However, the cost of airfare and hotel will not exceed $1,000 if you spend some time looking for the best deals, even if you want until after Canadian nationals resolves (so you know whether you have an invite or not).

What if you dont have any friends to stay with, will your hotel bill be alot bigger?

If you don't have any friends who want to stay with you, you have much bigger problems than your hotel bill.

You assume alot of things, thus makes you look pretty dumb.

Quite the opposite, actually. I explicitly laid out not only the exact prices, but the source for my numbers. My airfare and hotel at worlds will cost me $656 USD ($668 CAD), with $512 of that being airfare and $144 of that being a hotel. My additional expenses will be food ($100), alcohol ($150), and cabs ($50), so my total Worlds trip will cost about $950.

On the other hand, you're making assumptions without citing any sources or giving any specific numbers to back up your claims.

If you don't have money then don't go to worlds... Unless it is hold in your city, you still will have to pay for the trip.

But what do you want ? From the 250 masters that will get an invite this year less than 10% will have paid trip. And more than 3/4 of them have to spend more money than you for the transport and will pay the same as you for the hotel. I don't even imagine how players from some countries with lower monthly wage can even afford to come to Vancouver and you don't see them here complaining...

Worlds used to be hold in attractive places for tourism. In normal times I think that most of people would not mind to drop 2000$ for a nice place like Big Island. 1500$ for a city like Vancouver is... Too much. Hopefully playing at worlds has no price for most of us :D

(Whether those numbers are real or not, I'm not sure, since he never cited any sources. They do seem a bit high.)
I used Skyscanner.com for flights. All prices are for an ecomonic seat and I only took the flights that have maximum 1 change and where the stopover is not too long. I took in consideration flights from a capital, but I imagine that some players do not live next to an international airport...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back