Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Origins - no WOTC or Upper Deck?

meganium45

OK, I have heard from multiple sources that Origins this year will not include any participation from Upper Deck (read YuGiOh, VS) and WOTC (read Magic)

This leaves Pokemon as the only "big" card company coming to Origins....

And leaves me wondering why....

Origins offers very little for the average Pokemon Family.

Pokemon is targeted at the 14- age group, and most of those players do not play other games.

Origins is filled with the "scary magic (style) players" that keep some parents away from Gaming stores in the first place.

Origins is a great place for players to learn other games, but why does PUI want this? They only offer and support ONE game - Pokemon, that easily stands on its own!

Yes, the convention is there, and yes, it has kind of become a tradition....

But, could not the money that PUI spends on badges and sponsorship to this event be used to hold a separate Pokemon Only event outside of Origins!

We all see how PUI does worlds, even scaled back, I think a separate Nationals would be TOO COOL!

Just my 2 cents!

M45

I agree with you, Vince! I mean, although I went to look at other things near the tournament, still, I spent most of the time in the actual play zone (Thanks to Origins' awful food, I vomited ;_;)

But...vomit aside, let's rally to make Nationals move to its own camp. That would be very, very neat.

leave it in ohio. Its close to alot of states very close to the middle of the US which is awesome because its like called US nationals.

blastoise1992 said:
leave it in ohio. Its close to alot of states very close to the middle of the US which is awesome because its like called US nationals.

Of course that's what someone FROM Ohio will say. But, for me, I'd rather Nationals move around each year. Ohio is 2,000 miles from my house, being a week-long drive or an expensive airplane ride away. There is no way I'm EVER going to get to Nationals unless I win a State, and I don't think that's very probable.

Let's have it move around. Why not Atlanta Georgia or somewhere more south like North Carolina (LOL, just had to suggest it).

Venusaur said:
How about Alaska. That makes it fair for all of us.

Actually, there's a league in Anchorage. :wink:

How about this, for all future events, PUI throws darts at a map until they hit land?

(Thock)

Worlds 2007: Helena, MT

:wink:

The law of large numbers should work out eventually.

I agree Vince....US Nats should stand on its own and move around, possibly even a weekend apart from Origins. Would allow more people to play and expose this big tourney to more portions of the USA!

Keith

meganium45 said:
OK, I have heard from multiple sources that Origins this year will not include any participation from Upper Deck (read YuGiOh, VS) and WOTC (read Magic)

This leaves Pokemon as the only "big" card company coming to Origins....

And leaves me wondering why....

Origins offers very little for the average Pokemon Family.

Pokemon is targeted at the 14- age group, and most of those players do not play other games.

Last year, my daughter and I decided that we would take Thursday and Friday and play other games at Origins.

We, and 3 three other kids, all in the 11-14 age range, played a bunch of other games including Munchkin (awesome game), Zombies, Hex Hex, Fluxx, Looney Labs games, a role-playing game, ...

There is a LOT at Origins for families if you get out of the TCG hall and do some scheduling in advance.

Would we go to a Pokemon-only Nationals? Let me answer it this way... If Nationals is part of a larger gaming convention (Origins, Gencon, etc.), we will ABSOLUTELY go. If Nationals is a stand-alone event, it would depend on the location.

Hmm I would have to say that Nationals should at least stay at some sort of a major convention such as Origins or Gencon Indy. I say this because these conventions are all set up for large scale events such as Nationals which allows Pokemon USA easier budget. Also from a player's view, if Nationals is going to be such a hyped event, it should be maintain the additional support outside of the main event to make it special. By hosting this at a convention we have the advantage of bringing in additional players even if those players did not make Pokemon Nationals their main priority at the convention. There are other reasons why Nationals at a convention is a very wise idea but I could go on for hours.

I find it rather shocking that neither WotC or Upper Deck is doing anything at Origins, that is like leaving a doormat for Pokemon USA and the other smaller TCG companies to take advantage of attracting their customers. To me its seems like running some sort of premiere events at the large scale conventions is critical to keep the die hard players in their game. But that is good for us as we no doubt need even more table space this year and on a "player base to player base" view take advantage of this situation.

I really don't care, it's always a long trip for me and my crew.......or maybe we could have one in the New Orleans / Gulf Coast area and do a Katrina Relief drive tie in! In my dreams!
Rick

Lawman said:
I agree Vince....US Nats should stand on its own and move around, possibly even a weekend apart from Origins. Would allow more people to play and expose this big tourney to more portions of the USA!

Keith

Yea, it would be cool.

However, I think you are forgetting how overworked the staff at PUI is. I don't think they have the time/energy/$$$ to put together another big tournament besides Worlds! The professional event organizers at Origins already have the convention hall booked, arranged for nearby hotels, coordinated security, transportation, etc. I imagine all PUI has to say is "we want 8000 sq ft. of play space, a stage and a sound system" and all that leg work is done.

So how about asking a team of PTO's to put it together? Probabily not. The most trusted/best of the PTO's are already running a weekly league or two, putting together 3-4 city championships, a state championship(or two), a gym challenge (or two) a regional championship, and at least 4 pre-releases per year.

OK, let's jump off the overworked PUI staff argument for a while.

We know they are busy, but we are all busy.

With the new "change" they will be even busier, but I cannot imagine organizing a National Event would be much more difficult for them then the actual Nationals.

They could simply say to a number of PTOs "Hey, if you think you have a good Nationals site in your town, let us know, and check the availability for Summer '07!"

the PTO would do the leg work, the contracts would be negotiated/approved by PUI, and it would be just as if Nationals was at Origins at that point, except probably a LOT easier to get hotel space.

Take it from someone who is running now a third regional in a row...this can be done...problem is one problem we should not have with Nationals - LEAD TIME in securing a venue.

Once the venue is secured, then the rest of the items roll downhill, just as they do now, product, staffing, logistics...but imagine the power of having $80 per head MORE to deal with in a Pokemon only way!

Just a thought consideration.

M45

One thing I've not yet seen mentioned in FAVOR of having Nationals at a gaming convention like Origins or GenCon: the visibility factor.

You don't think other gaming companies and other gamers were impressed by seeing the CONSTANT activity in our area of the TCG hall? I'd think our game got a lot of credibility restored to it by the showing at Origins; just a "kids' game"? Not by a LONG shot...

I'd also dare to say that just because WotC Corporate doesn't participate with a booth, doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any WotC gaming; didn't PES run all of WotC's events at Origins?

'mom

Back