Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ghaz Factor

States are so overrated

you become the pokemon champion of YOUR STATE... and all you get is $300 and absolutely NO media coverage?

ALSO NO NAME RECOGNITION!

Off the top of your head, tell me who won the States event in Michigan how about Washington?? EXACTLY YOU CAN WIN STATES AND NO ONE WILL EVEN KNOW/CARE ABOUT IT.

States need more HYPE... needs more SASS... MEDIA coverage... then pokemon will be more respected or something along those LINES ETC!!!

SOME SEX APPEAL WOULDNT HURT EITHER!!! Sex sells, we all know this... so LETS MAKE POKEMON SEXY

Last edited:
I completely agree "The Ghaz Factor." Funny, although we've first met, I feel like our opinions are so unified that we could have known each other for years. Regardless, I was the STS CHAMPION and nobody knew who I didn't tell! If someone is the champion of pro football, I'll bet most of America knows! Poker and Magic are on ESPN, why shouldn't Pokemon? The only reason it's not as big as it can be is because people don't believe it can be there. You have to THINK POSITIVE! I mean seriously people, I won the STS for Pete's sake! WHEN WILL YOU GET THAT THROUGH YOUR SKULLS? It's a pretty simple concept.

Regardless! If you win states, there should be at least a local news spot about it, press coverage, etc. Plus we need some hot women handing out the prizes, it will make for a great photo op and they sure are easy on the eyes! Think BIG people! That's what I did, and look, I WON THE STS!! GEEZE FIGURE IT OUT!!

..Is this Serious?

Pokemon doesn't need to be "Sexy". and as for the rest of your post..

you get recognition from the other pokemon players, if you want big media attention, look elsewhere. Pokemon isn't meant to be a national pastime or a bigtime sport, It's a trading card game. It get's media attention, just not headline news.

Along with the $300 Travel award, (Not straight up 300 bucks) you get a trophy and a chance to compete in a much larger event, a trohpy, and you have to be proud of it. If you want attention for it, then tell people about your win, but it's not really about the glory anyway, you play to have fun.

You seem like maybe you're playing for the wrong reasons if all you want is media attention.

EDIT: Seeing this second post, you are definatly the same person, so quit using puppets.

Last edited:
2 people but they obviously had this planned together, and thier points are so off. ugh..

Ummmmmmmm, consider the source: MEDIA attention demanded by 'playaz' who not only DO know each other, but likely _wouldn't admit to playing Pokemon_ if there WAS an interview set up, because they can't let their real-life peers KNOW they play the game?

Riiiiight...:rolleyes:

JMHO,
'mom
:nonono:

Last edited:
Thats strange hot carl bc when the Ghaz 1st posted a week ago or so, he bragged about winning the STS. Now, Moss is claiming to have won the STS also. Will the true STS champion please stand up??

Keith

They BOTH did, in different age divisions, and on different days....

'mom

Last edited:
SD PokéMom said:
Ummmmmmmm, consider the source: MEDIA attention demanded by 'playaz' who not only DO know each other, but likely _wouldn't admit to playing Pokemon_ if there WAS an interview set up, because they can't let their real-life peers KNOW they play the game?

Riiiiight...:rolleyes:

JMHO,
'mom
:nonono:

Yeah I know alot of people like that (including myself) who would rather not have most of the people I know, know that I play pokemon...I gets hard to explain.

Yup, I know I'm piling on here, but... Lessee Moss & Seena, did you guys wear your championship jackets or medals to school? If so, then props to you.

It helps to be an adult and not give a care what your co-workers & pals think (actually most think its cool to run a league for kids, be involved with your own kids game, or have hobby with big competitions, but some will poke fun at it -- w/e to them).

Anyway Ice'Cold, I understand what you and the rest of the school age folks go through; personally, I don't expect you to trurmpet it at school or with your peers. I will tell you that our league is at a big high school, in the chem lab, cause my AGL is the swim coach and chem teacher. He's pretty up front about PKMN with his students and even has the 'official league store' window cling in his room. Guys and gals from his classes and the swim team have stopped in to play PKMN a couple nights with us. We've even hung onto a few of them. I know ours is a pretty rare situation, but I have to say I REALLY like that you can have league away from a commercial venue (WotC was very hung up on that). Our league prospers both in attendance and at the tourney cuts in part because we don't have to convince a store to take space from merchandise to give us some cramped spot to play in. We can meet regularly and develop and have fun.

States not a big deal? mmm. We had 160 in California and we couldn't even get all our NoCals to show up. Still, it was a very high level of competition - if you won 15+ from a field of 95 players, about 20+ who have won premiere events, yah, its a big deal. No press coverage? Well they put a lot into that for cities (for local media); for some reason they decided not to for states. Most state championships aren't too much bigger in attendance than CC -- I wonder what the calculation was about the resources required to run a PR campaign for States vs the benefits. Anyway, if YOU believe, you could have called the papers or your PTO could have sent a release.

plaidlesspez said:
Moss, they show Magic on ESPN? I didn't know that.

At like 2:00 a.m. :biggrin:

But seriously, all I could find on it was this:

Team Challenge - June 7, 2000, 2:30 PM
Pro Tour New York - June 20, 2000, 2:30 PM
US Nationals - July 7, 2000, 2:00 PM
US Nationals Draft Challenge - July 20, 2000, 2:00 PM
World Championships - September 6, 2000, 1:00 & September 29, 2000, 1:00 PM
Pro Tour New York - October 24, 2000, 1:30 PM
Pro Tour Chicago - December 20, 2000, 1:00 PM

Not sure if they are still actively showing it on ESPN 2 like they used to... I imagine it would be quite popular with all the Poker themed shows. I would even stomach watching G4TV for some CCG/TCG event coverage.

When I win my SC the only people who I really care if they know, will. Not that I don't want others to know. I'm completely open about it at work. (I'm a near 40 year old truck driver who is proud to be associated with Pokemon) It is just that I remember past winners from my area and they'll remember my win.

I think that while sex appeal is indeed needed, that Pokemon has done quite the good job at implimenting it as it is. I mean, look at all the events I attend. That is at least a +30% in the sex appeal department right there alone. I think the highest degree of sexiness at an event this year was the Dayton City Championships. Me, JASON K, ALEX B, TOM FRIGGIN DOLEZAL! That is uncontainable.

Also, look at Worlds! Those girls they had running Pokemon Rocks!? OH YEAH. Thats what I am talking about. Sensei, you know what we mean! We saw your pic gallery! ;) Rock on home dogg, we know where at least some of TC stand! Plus, all the girls dressed up as the Pokemon? SO HOT. Much bigger improvement over Wizards. Keep it up. Next thing we need, PUI needs to hire Carmella Decesare to dress up as a cute Pikachu....I'D google that!

I wear my STS jacket around every day

it fits so well, and I like the way the denim looks with jeans on

Pokemon or no, the ladies all love me

you get recognition from the other pokemon players, if you want big media attention, look elsewhere. Pokemon isn't meant to be a national pastime or a bigtime sport, It's a trading card game. It get's media attention, just not headline news.
WRONG! Its that kind of thinking that is going to drive pokemon into the GROUND. Wizards wanted to keep pokemon small, it seemed like at every opportunity they were shafting the players. I was the WORLD CHAMPION and didn't even win enough money to cover my trip out there! There are games making a FRACTION of what pokemon was making that had HUGE cash prizes. Wizards wanted a lack-luster "fun" game for little kids and what they got was a loss of their contract. Good game wizards, way to RUIN the best thing since magic. Pokemon SHOULD be regarded as highly as Chess, Magic, and Poker. Good pokemon players should be regarded as HEROES. People who are good at hosting tournaments should get paid by the company to run them, not sign up to be a "professor" so they can do a ton of labor at no cost to Nintendo. Guess what folks, there are people making clothes for Kathy Lee right now getting paid more than you professors. WAKE UP! You're getting ripped off because people don't want to take pokemon to the level it should be! Are you ****** off in California because the TOs are terrible and there were 20 people at 5-2 and 12 missed the T16 cut? I'll bet NONE of that would happen if the TOs were actually getting paid for what they were doing. You get what you pay for, and with most professors, thats not much.

Pokemon needs to be BIG if you want to see anything improving. I WON THE STS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! REALIZE THE TRUTH! IT WAS THE STS!! DO YOU KNOW HOW GOOD I AM AT POKEMON!!? GEEZE!!!

Your mom is a puppet.
Thats strange hot carl bc when the Ghaz 1st posted a week ago or so, he bragged about winning the STS. Now, Moss is claiming to have won the STS also. Will the true STS champion please stand up??
I WON THE STS!!! WHAT DON'T YOU MORONS UNDERSTAND?!! LORD!
They BOTH did, in different age divisions, and on different days....
WRONG! We both won on the SAME day, December 2nd, 2001. Day 1 we TOYED with our opponents, letting them think they had a chance on day two with both of us ONLY posting a top4 and top8 performance, repectively. Then on day 2 we both woke up and decieded to win. Since we're JUST THAT FLAT OUT GOOD, we did exactly that! The only problem was getting through the medal detector at the airport on the way home. Curiously, Drew Holton had no problems with it! OUI!
MEDIA attention demanded by 'playaz' who not only DO know each other, but likely _wouldn't admit to playing Pokemon_ if there WAS an interview set up, because they can't let their real-life peers KNOW they play the game?
First of all you can't see the forest for the trees! The reason we didn't want people to know was because of the reputation pokemon had-- and that's what we need to change! If you want pokemon to get big, and I mean BIG, you can't be afraid to let people know you play. Media coverage adds legitimacy and prestige to what you do. It makes celebrities out of the winners and people start getting their favorite pros just like in MTG and Poker. If you can create not only a fan base of the game, but the players within the game that's all the better. Everyone knows Phil Hellmuth because he's the "bad boy" the "poker brat" he's got such a personality that it draws you into him as a player and not just the game. Its hard to love a game as much as a person. Thats why we need MEDIA COVERAGE of pokemon to add to its legitimacy! We shouldn't have to live in FEAR of people finding out! Personally, everyone I know now knows that I played the game and a few of them actually thought it was really cool! Now I play poker and I'm quite good at it, and its nice because its on TV and you get respect from people for being good at a game. We need that kind of thing to happen to pokemon players. The game takes skill and there are a lot of people who play it, but very few who play it well (for example the only two players on this post with ANY skill at all are Seen and myself, and yes, I saw your posts Fulop and Six, GOOD GAME!! I invented low self esteem). In conclusion we need media coverage to add legitimacy and presige to the game, it will make the game grow, add new players, gain respect for the ones that play it well (Seena and I), and put more money into the game which will get more players, etc etc. ALL GOOD THINGS! People shouldn't be afraid to play pokemon thinking their friends will find out! People shouldn't be mocked for playing pokemon in their 20s and 30s! It shouldn't be regarded as a kiddie game and come into the limelight. We need sexy models to helps us, and massive media coverage including photo ops of Seena and I holding trophies and cash w/ the models. Think about it, you KNOW you'd buy a magazine w/ that cover.

I invented Pikachu.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back