Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokémon and Math

Paperfairy

For those of you aware of what International Baccalaurate is, scroll down to the tl;dr.

For those who are not:

I have a huge math project coming up, spanning 2/3 of a year, in which I am required to collect data and analysis it. I can do the project on anything I like, as long as

- there is data to collect/has been collected
- I can analyze the data using mathematics and come to a conclusion

tl;dr: I am doing my Math Internal Assessment on the TCG

Now that we are all on one page, I want to analyze Pokémon, namely the TCG. Does anybody have any ideas as what may be good projects? A few ideas I had were:

- Is there a direct correlation between the amount of time spent shuffling and the number of Mulligans?
- What is the likelihood that an average deck will achieve its desired "set up"?
- In the current format, what is the likelihood that attacks like Baleful Wind will be successful?
- Is the condition of a win directly linked to the skill/ranking of the player?

Anything else?

How about you mathematically find out how I defy logic and indeed flip more heads then tails?:tongue: Or you could just do the second one.

Are you in HL or SL? I personally wouldn't do the second one it's seems a bit to complicated and open ended. I also wouldn't do the first one it seems too easy and direct it i would do either the the 3rd or 4th one. I personally like the 4th

Are you in HL or SL? I personally wouldn't do the second one it's seems a bit to complicated and open ended. I also wouldn't do the first one it seems too easy and direct it i would do either the the 3rd or 4th one. I personally like the 4th

Yes, somebody who speaks IB; Mathematical Studies SL. My school does not offer HL Math.

How about what's the chance to get something like T2 Arcanine or T2 Banette with the right amount of Energy or something like that?

Because that can be calculated in about five minutes if you give me a deck list. It needs to be something albeit more involved.

lol I did the correlation between height and weight for the first 386 pokémon
for AP Statistics in 11th grade.

if toy need any help pm me or any one of the other math gurus on pokegym :)

For my IB math project I did the correlation between the cost of car insurance and the horsepower/torque/price of different types of cars. I got like an 18/20 =)

You should do that ;x

No.2 sounds best, because the others can be somewhat foregone conclusions.
No.1 would be relatively impossible to prove without long and strenious testing, rather than simple mathematic Equation.
No.3 is purely based on chance and the skill of the player to recover from that position.
No.4 is obviously true. Otherwise we wouldn't have the same players back in the top cut year after year; what are they, the luckiest players on earth ;-)

I personally like the third the best, but it can indeed be vague. First you need to definitively define the "current format," then you need several decklists to base the probabilities of which cards could be discarded by Baleful Wind. You also need to define "success" for Baleful Wind as well. There also the other attacks similar to Baleful Wind you need to consider. It seems like a lot of work. I don't know that defining "set up" in the second one and doing out the work for that one is any easier though.

I think there was a math statistic Rambo1000 once did on the Gym calculating the pokemon that did the most amount of damage for the least amount of damage.... the heavy hitters so to speak....
That would help out a lot. :))))))))

Number one seems to have the most openenss in that everybody has a different shuffle to them and this just opens up alot of different results (not sure if thats what your looking for or not). #4 Sounds like simply stat to me; Just observe, take down notes, and compare results. #3 does sound interesting, but it seems more like an odds of opening and the lists. It just sounds bland to me. #2 seems very opinionated and idk if that will work for your project. Flinging out a suggestion, maybe looking at the ratings of people, comparing that with deck selection, checking there results with said deck(s), and working from there (though this sounds very openy on paper to me).

No.4 is obviously true. Otherwise we wouldn't have the same players back in the top cut year after year; what are they, the luckiest players on earth ;-)

When I said win condition, I meant: taking all Prizes, or running the Deck out, et cetera.

When I said win condition, I meant: taking all Prizes, or running the Deck out, et cetera.
But wouldn't the better players have stratergies to avoid running out of Deck?
I know I run a draw-heavy deck, but run Cynthia's to shuffle my hand back in if I'm worried about decking out. And NM.

Back