Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon names - limited to 10 characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting that popped up between my friends and I.

It seems that no Pokemon has over 10 characters in its name. Kangaskhan, Electabuzz, Aerodactyl, Wigglytuff, Feraligatr...all 10 characters.

My friends and I wonder if Feraligatr wasn't originally meant to be "FeraliGATOR", but was shortened to fit in the GB game.

Is there a Pokemon with over 10 characters in its name? Is this 10-character limit no coincidence?

That is the limit. There were a few Pokemon renamed before the GB games were released in America, since they had to be shortened to fit the GB names. For example, Gyarados (8) was originally going to be named "Skullkraken" (11).

I don't really thing they would had named Feraligatr, "Feraligator." The word "gator" is used a lot by people, and Pokemon names that have an animal name in them like that are usually misspelled on purpose.

Water Pokemon Master said:
That is the limit. There were a few Pokemon renamed before the GB games were released in America, since they had to be shortened to fit the GB names. For example, Gyarados (8) was originally going to be named "Skullkraken" (11).

I don't really thing they would had named Feraligatr, "Feraligator." The word "gator" is used a lot by people, and Pokemon names that have an animal name in them like that are usually misspelled on purpose.

Wow, that's really interesting...the name sounds familiar, are there other names that were changed to fit? A site about them, maybe? XD

I saved this list off a website a long time ago. I knew the original name of Gyarados because I had a few stickers of some Pokemon names before the games were released, and one of my friends gave me some as well.

Kakuna - Kokoon
Rattata - Rattatak
Ekans - Arbo
Sandslash - Sandstorm
Clefairy - Aria
Clefable - Ariala
Vulpix - Foxfire
Paras - Parasyte
Diglett - Digda
Growlithe - Flamie
Arcanine - Blaze
Abra - Hocus
Kadabra - Pocus
Machop - Kara-tee
Machoke - Kung-foo
Machamp - Ju-doh
Tentacool - Jilly
Tentacruel - Man O War
Rapidash - Gallop
Slowpoke - Slowmo
Magnemite - Coil
Magneton - Recoil
Doduo - Dodo
Dewgong - Manaty
Gastly - Spirit
Haunter - Spectre
Gengar - Phantom
Cubone - Orphon
Marowak - Guardia
Lickitung - Tonguetyd
Koffing - Ny
Weezing - La
Chansey - Lucky
Tangela - Meduza
Goldeen - Goldy
Seaking - Neptune
Scyther - Stryke
Lapras - Ness
Eevee - Eon
Omanyte - Ess
Omastar - Kargo
Kabuto - Att
Kabutops - Lantis
Aerodactyl - Ptera
Dratini - Dragoon
Dragonair - Dragyn

Last edited:
Love the Abra and Kadabra. Wouldn't fit with Alakazam though, unless it was something else to do with "Hocus & Pocus" before.

I am glad they changed those names. They were so unoriginal and lame. La (Los Angeles) and Ny (New York)? Lame. Man O War? Lame. Most Pokemon names now are very original and use words in them that most people would not think of. (like Cyndaquil and cynder, who would think of that word for it?)

Hm. Ekans, Magnemite, Magneton, Scyther, Areodactyl, Kakuna, Chansey, Doduo and Diglett were all originally going to keep their Japanese names. But they really changed them all for the better. (Although Coil and Recoil aren't so horrible names :D)

Mr. Mime always seemed to me like a name they should've replaced as well.

Last edited:
I've seen that list before. In fact back in the day I made sprites using the names Eon, Foxfire, and Ness which were all elite mods of what they're called now. (imho >.>;) I've always thought Eevee shoulda been Eon. I also thought Tyrouge shoulds been Hitmon. o_o I liked Aria and Ariala too. =/ What would Cleffa have been then? Arr? @_@ Put an eye patch on it and call it adorable. o_o Att and Lantis was 1337 too. Ess and Kargo were bleh. =/

I've known about this ten letter thing for ages, I pressumed it was common knowledge so never brought it up. I guess some people just didn't know....

Dom: Hey, even this otaku isn't obssessed enough to count all the letters in all the names...

That list sounds kind of fake to me. More like something a bunch of fans would come up with as alternative names, or "early" Translations at best. THough some were funny, I am glad they went with what they have.

Skullkraken? Yeah, sure. All those Tentacles make Gyrarados look like a giant squid that gets mistaken for an island. -_-

I was always very fond of Spinarak , Ekans, and Arbok as names, I like the sense of fun in the names...

Otaku said:
Dom: Hey, even this otaku isn't obssessed enough to count all the letters in all the names...

That list sounds kind of fake to me. More like something a bunch of fans would come up with as alternative names, or "early" Translations at best. THough some were funny, I am glad they went with what they have.

Skullkraken? Yeah, sure. All those Tentacles make Gyrarados look like a giant squid that gets mistaken for an island. -_-

I personally have stickers with over two dozen of those names. They are absolutely not fake.

I looked though the list of all the pokemon names and your right. Sofar there is no pokemon that has more then 10 characters in its name.

Its very odd but like its said in here already its probabily to fit it in the GB game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back