Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon needs online

Lucario-Master

Now as the title said i think that pokemon needs an GOOD form of online. YES, there is redshark BUT thats a fan made one and isn't as good.
They probobly dont because they think they would lose money or something but i dont think they would considering all the major card games and even some minor ones have it
Ex,
Magic
Yugioh
Maplestory
Chaotic
and others

If a bunch of different companys do it and some even do it without any charge then im pritty sure they know its making them money somehow.
I think it would be a good way to get people to be able to start playing and know what its like to play when you have lots of cards to choose from without spending too much/any money

I would be fine if they did a monthly fee or you had to buy the disk to play like japan did.

This is just what i think and i would like to see what you guys think.

I'd like to see TCG game on the Wii or Wiiware or something like that. It could also go online, not unlike any game with
online capability, Halo, Call of Duty, etc. If nothing else, it'd be a great way to get some extra practice in for the actual
touranments.

However, I'm fairly confident that we won't see it happen for pokemon unless it's in an extremely controled setting like
this above where they can allow people to have the feature, but can control how large it gets as a whole. Theoreticly, with the
way Redshark works now, if it got popular enough they could create an entire world championship series like the one we have
'In Person' now. (But there is no support for that kind of coordination on RS.) If such a thing was created, it would be well
controled and have to be guarentied to not put their ability to sell cards in Jeopardy.

-Jason
:)dark::colorless:20)

Then just don't have an official OP system for the release. Fan-made tourneys can NEVER be as generous as the first-party tourneys because the first-party company uses the tourneys as marketing and almost have to give away more.

I still think that the DS or 3DS would be a PERFECT system for virtually any TCG that you'd ever want to put out. The UI is very intuitive in a point-and-click mentality, it's got wifi to update the game with new sets, and it's already got the P2P connectivity built in for battles.

They could price the thing at $40, preprogrammed with the Modified-legal cards (or all cards) and then $10 for each new set. That way, they're still making their money for the work they're putting into the game. Patches would be easy enough to put out given the wifi nature of the type of game we're looking at.

We've been saying this for years, that such a game would be a major boon to the company insofar as bringing more publicity to the TCG than you could possibly get with just the TCG alone. I'm certain it's at least one of the reasons why YGO got so damned popular a couple of years ago. Why couldn't it work here?

TCG + Wi-Fi = I'd be an absolute hermit (even while sitting in the center of a Starbucks.

That would, truly, take my game to an entire different level (not to mention, it would REALLY promote and develop the game).

And if you programed "solo mode" and "multi mode" where you can play vs. computer OR an online opponent that'd be sick!

They do it for Poker Software all of the time!

The business model is already in place.

1. Make the software Free to download.
2. Have giftcards where you can buy "PokePoints" to customize your character and buy virtual products (card sleeves, deckboxes, dice, playmats, your own shop!)
3. Players at a certain level can play at more "competitive shops"/leagues
5.become league leaders, TOs, and PTOs.
6. Integrated Rulings/FAQ that can be updated via download!!! <== that's useful even if you don't play the game!!
7. iPod app/Droid compatible

Man, just PUT ME ON THE MARKETING team.

I can make millions TODAY from this concept!

Last edited:
And if you programed "solo mode" and "multi mode" where you can play vs. computer OR an online opponent that'd be sick!
Player Vs. Computer doesnt seem feasible in pokemon, unless the computers have set decks. Lots more possibilities in pokemon than in poker.

So, how do we sanction online play without sacrificing a massive amount of profit for the TCG? I mean, if you can just buy a version of Redshark once for your Wii, and never have to buy cards...

So, how do we sanction online play without sacrificing a massive amount of profit for the TCG? I mean, if you can just buy a version of Redshark once for your Wii, and never have to buy cards...
Simple, don't give everyone access to all the cards in the game. Sell cards just like you do irl, through packs. Ever hear of Magic online?

Player Vs. Computer doesnt seem feasible in pokemon, unless the computers have set decks. Lots more possibilities in pokemon than in poker.

I don't know. The YGO franchise has managed to do it for years upon years now. Go to IGN and search for "Yu-Gi-Oh". There's 1 for 360, 2 for Wii, 5 for PC, 6 for DS, 4 for PSP, not to mention the last-gen stuff that isn't included in the IGN search. Not that any of the games was particularly challenging, but they all managed opponent's decks relatively well. There have already been two PTCG games, one in US, and they both had pretty decent opponent decks to play with.

Simple, don't give everyone access to all the cards in the game. Sell cards just like you do irl, through packs. Ever hear of Magic online?

Meh, make it simpler than that. One charge to buy the game. Then a flat rate ($10?) to import each new set into the RNG card selector. It's worked for over a decade on several different platforms, and it should work here as well.

I still say that the NDS is the best platform for a TCG. The UI is very intuitive, and it expounds the "play-as-you-go" spirit that TCGs are supposed to have IMO. I'd rather play a TCG at a coffee shop or library rather than in my own home. Just feels like I'm actually interacting with the world or something like that.

I would eat my own arm and mail it to someone if they came out with this in the next year, i really want it.

I don't know. The YGO franchise has managed to do it for years upon years now. Go to IGN and search for "Yu-Gi-Oh". There's 1 for 360, 2 for Wii, 5 for PC, 6 for DS, 4 for PSP, not to mention the last-gen stuff that isn't included in the IGN search. Not that any of the games was particularly challenging, but they all managed opponent's decks relatively well. There have already been two PTCG games, one in US, and they both had pretty decent opponent decks to play with.
Those games all have premade decks to fight against, right? With possibly limited changes? And a set and limited card pool? Not an ever growing one?
Meh, make it simpler than that. One charge to buy the game. Then a flat rate ($10?) to import each new set into the RNG card selector. It's worked for over a decade on several different platforms, and it should work here as well.

I still say that the NDS is the best platform for a TCG. The UI is very intuitive, and it expounds the "play-as-you-go" spirit that TCGs are supposed to have IMO. I'd rather play a TCG at a coffee shop or library rather than in my own home. Just feels like I'm actually interacting with the world or something like that.
Why? Why make it different then how it is irl? If you distribute the cards in the same manner as irl, you can create sanctioned tournaments. MTG does it and it works just fine. Online prereleases, online drafts, all of which is connected to their ratings. Why make it just a simple game, when it can become something a lot more relevant? It'll appeal to a lot more people that way.

the only problem with that would be the JPN games would have cards sooner than the US, or anywhere else for that matter. it would absolutely kill WiFi tournaments.

the only problem with that would be the JPN games would have cards sooner than the US, or anywhere else for that matter. it would absolutely kill WiFi tournaments.
There's three options for that.
1. Make the online format the same as it is everywhere else other than japan.
2. Regulate sets worldwide
3. Separate players based on country.

well i can see the first 2 working, but separating by country would severely limit the appeal of WiFi. I think that, if they set it up evenly world wide, it would be a huge step forward

Who says that a VG version of the TCG needs to have an OP system? I certainly don't. I believe strongly that the VG translation of a TCG should be used as a testing tool or as a marketing tool for the real TCG, not as an OP machine for itself. It should be kept VERY clear that the VG TCG is never going to have first-party tournament support (what the fans do by themselves is their choice).

Based on that, a release model based around the ingame collection process and IRL set releases would work just fine for this type of game.

Who says that a VG version of the TCG needs to have an OP system? I certainly don't. I believe strongly that the VG translation of a TCG should be used as a testing tool or as a marketing tool for the real TCG, not as an OP machine for itself. It should be kept VERY clear that the VG TCG is never going to have first-party tournament support (what the fans do by themselves is their choice).

Based on that, a release model based around the ingame collection process and IRL set releases would work just fine for this type of game.
They'll appeal to more competitive players, and sell in game product. Making them much more money than selling a program once, for $10.

$10 10 million times for each set? Or $1 for the 10,000 competitive players that each purchase (maybe) 100 packs for each set? Cuz I don't think it could be marketable at any price point above a dollar, and I also don't think the millions of casual players would pay per pack for a game that doesn't have any OP (which this shouldn't).

I'm not saying, "oh, you pay your $10 and you have unlimited access to the set."

I'm more saying, "You pay $10, and the new set gets added to the pool of what you can collect ingame."

In most TCG games (including the 98 PTCG and every YGO and DM game I've seen), you earn cards by playing in battles. You get more (or better) cards by winning than you do by losing. In YGO, you get "packs" for winning, which you can choose from, that each contain a set number of randomly distributed cards for that particular "pack".

A similar approach can (and should) be used here. Each time you win, you get your choice from a bunch of packs (which may or may not correspond to the currently released IRL packs) that each have their own cards and rules of distribution. The $10 would simply add more packs to the choice.

$10 10 million times for each set? Or $1 for the 10,000 competitive players that each purchase (maybe) 100 packs for each set? Cuz I don't think it could be marketable at any price point above a dollar, and I also don't think the millions of casual players would pay per pack for a game that doesn't have any OP (which this shouldn't).

I'm not saying, "oh, you pay your $10 and you have unlimited access to the set."

I'm more saying, "You pay $10, and the new set gets added to the pool of what you can collect ingame."

In most TCG games (including the 98 PTCG and every YGO and DM game I've seen), you earn cards by playing in battles. You get more (or better) cards by winning than you do by losing. In YGO, you get "packs" for winning, which you can choose from, that each contain a set number of randomly distributed cards for that particular "pack".

A similar approach can (and should) be used here. Each time you win, you get your choice from a bunch of packs (which may or may not correspond to the currently released IRL packs) that each have their own cards and rules of distribution. The $10 would simply add more packs to the choice.
What are you talking about? What I'm saying is to have OP in the game, and if there is OP in there, then there is no reason why it should be cheaper online. OP, tournaments, ratings.

Why bother making an entirely different and complicated system that doesn't even have any point other than entertainment? And you have to pay for it? What's the appeal over redshark? The smoother system?

Has anyone here every played online magic? If you have, that's basically what I'm suggesting.

I'm not suggesting that, not at all. I'm suggesting YGO World Championship for the DS and GBA with a WiFi competitive component and updateable card databases.

I'm not suggesting that, not at all. I'm suggesting YGO World Championship for the DS and GBA with a WiFi competitive component and updateable card databases.
What can a DS do that a compuer can't? And don't say it's portable. We've had portable computers for a long time now. Also, GBA's a little dated, don't you think? Not everyone has a DS, most people have a computer. Once again, the computer has a wider appeal than the DS.

Nintendo would than have to release a game on a COMPUTER that is the issue. Nintendo does not make computers so they would put it on the DS or 3DS because they would make money by people buying the game and by having them buy the system so they could play it.

If we could get a team together we could make a 3DSware game of the TCG... Maybe even get Nintendo in on it...

Back