Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon TCG Unsteady?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinoLombardi21

This year pokemon is limiting events and limiting top cut at events. This is getting lots of players frustrated. Shouldn't the top cut of a tournament be based on the attendance of that event. Not to mention the premier rating invites is getting players to be more and more competitive. These players aren't helping other players in the game because POP has made it so tough to get to Worlds 08. Now your at the point that your just out for yourself. This kills the SOTG.

Before premier rating invites came along you could go into an event with the feeling I'm going to have some fun. How can you walk into a tournament with the fear of losing rating points and have fun? I think this puts more pressure on the JR and SR players more then the MA players mainly because their younger and less experienced.

When I first starting playing this game everything was balanced, everything was steady. Now I don't know if it's just me but every year something in pokemon decreases and increases. The player base of pokemon has increased each year since I've played this awsome game.

The decreasing things that I see are fun, events, prizes, and mainly player's attitude towards Pokemon Organized Play. Were the customers of this great TCG and rating invites didn't work in the past yet they're still trying to make it work. With every choice someone makes you will always get a positive and a negative.

I think the way pokemon is going from events to limitation on top cuts to premier rating invites to get to worlds is a very unsteady combination. Some people would say this is a great idea for POP to do this. By looking the way they setup premier rating with limitation of events no one can pump there rating too high.

Another interesting thing to premier rating is an example - whoever can attend more events ultimately will have a better premier rating. This isn't a poll. I'm just curious if other people feel the same way as me that this season and last years season have been very unsteady. Thoughts?

honestly, my fav. format would have to be the '05/'06 season, since we have so many invites without trips, i don't understand why we can't bring back gym challenges, give out 1 payed invite, and then get rid of the rankings. does anyone know for sure how many of the rating invites are paid trips?

I think having Gym Challenge invites over Premier Ranking invites would make the road to worlds experience more fun. It’s less pressure and more fun. With premier ranking invites those aren't paid invites to worlds. I think most people would rather do an unpaid gym challenge invite over an unpaid premier ranking invite.

Isn't it against the rules to have more than 1 Pokegym Account/Username? Why should Gino be any different?

that's interesting: i seem to remember back when there were gym challenges that there was a lot of outrage that people could 'luck' their way into worlds by winning ONE tournament, and that there were no rewards..i.e. entry to worlds...for playaz with high ratings/rankings...

'mom

that's interesting: i seem to remember back when there were gym challenges that there was a lot of outrage that people could 'luck' their way into worlds by winning ONE tournament, and that there were no rewards..i.e. entry to worlds...for playaz with high ratings/rankings...

'mom

thats true, i guess you can't please everyone..... Having said that, I wonder if it would be a good idea to say, take the 25 invites per age group, give out 5 for rankings, than hold 20 gym challanges to determine who gets the other spots. That would seem to be a decent compramise, allowing the top 5 higest rated players to get trip, while also giving players who live in areas with less tourneys to have the chance to get an invite as well.

Gym Challenges were never a good way to give out World Championship invites IMHO. They were never the scale of Regionals, and they gave out invites like Nationals gave out. If I had to give out 25 invites per age group I would give out:

5 invites for rankings - I like this idea. Doesn't put too much focus on invites.
13 invites for regionals 1st place - these tournaments are the second biggest tournaments in the nation, why not give out an invite?
4 invites given out to the top four at nationals - because they did so well to get to the top 4 at the biggest tournament in the nation
3 invites for grinder - I am not so sure on this. I definitely want one invite, but 2-3 almost seems unfair. I don't really see how to allocate the 2-3 leftovers in a better way though.

Remember that US Nationals already gives out 8 invites. The 25 Ratings invites that you're talking about are for all of North America. Source: http://go-pokemon.com/op/premierevents/championshipseries/worlds/info/07-08/answers.html.

Intellectually, I like ratings based invites. However, I also think that Regionals, being larger than many international Nationals, should have a Worlds invite associated with them. So that not too many of the invites to straight to the US, give Mexico 1-2 Regionals and Canada 2-3. That would give 16-18 Invites to Regionals, leaving 7-9 invites for NA Rankings.

Oh, I forgot that the US got a big number of invites this year.

Im confused and if Im confused I might not be the only one. In one Table it states Top 8 from USA Nats and Top 4 from Canada Nats will receive paid invites but then below that Table it states that USA will get 4 paid invites and Canada 2. So which one is it?

Personally, I would love to see a Trip to Worlds (or even invite) for the 1st place at each Regionals, because with the Regionals all on one day, you would guarantee REGIONAL REPRESENTATION at Worlds.

I did not like the Gym Challenge system, as it seemed too easy for someone who really wanted to Go to Worlds to attend 5-6 gym challenges, and get into Worlds.

Heck, we had a gym challenge in our area at the end of a string where a theme deck made the finals, and but for a mistake by the theme deck player, the theme deck would have won the trip!

Gym Challenges, for whatever reason, were always too small.

I would propose 4 trips through nats, invites to 8 (US)

15 trips through regionals (NA)

up the Mexican trips to 4 at nats (to make up for no Regionals)

and 10 invites on ratings.

There would be 15 more trips given out, but it would make Regionals a much bigger play.

Who knows where the expense would come from, maybe eliminate spring battle roads, or limit them?

Vince

I don't even think you need the Worlds trip from Regionals. Just the Invite would make it worthwhile. Of course, keep the Nationals trip/stuff, cuz that's still the biggest tourney of the year, and ppl still want to play in it. However, it makes Regionals more desirable for those that can't travel by adding an Invite, and still keeps Nats special by reserving Trips for that particular area. But, please, put an Invite at the very least into Regionals.

If Worlds is ever in Hawaii again, or outside North America, I would say invites with trips for 1st place regionals would be a good idea. Having representation that is as diverse as the winners at regionals is the best idea imho. If the system puts all the trips on the line at nats, then everyone just has to focus on doing well that one day/s of the year to get their invite, and the many good players that might have had bad luck that day get the shaft. With paid trips through regionals and nationals, there are twice the opportunities to get that invite.

I think that if your gonna do the regionals winner with a paid trip, a part of me would like to see 2nd Place get a non-paid invite to Worlds. I think that the structure can never be perfect. The only thing I can think of is what is good and what is bad. I think that giving out more non-paid invites is a positive, it makes it so more players can go for less the cost to POP/PUI. If more players can go it makes the player base happier because they have a better chance of getting to worlds.

JMO,
Drew

That's the answer really. Players want more invites to worlds because it makes them feel special and happy. It doesn't mean they are any better than they were years ago, it just means that it is easier to get to Worlds. I think giving out invites to just to make some people happy is stupid. This is WORLDS, and people don't realize that this is the toughest tournament in the WORLD. They want to play in it every year and their friends to play in it too. Now, that's not a bad idea. But making it easy to get into Worlds by increasing the invites just ruins the system of the tournament. It isn't supposed to be easy to get into Worlds. Only the best should be allowed into Worlds. That is why I was in total support of how the tournament was held last year. Being in Hawaii, it made the tournament feel extra special. And being that they didn't give out as many invites as the USA players were used to, only the players that did well consistently (or got lucky at the grinder/nationals) got to play at Worlds.

I do think the first place at Regionals should get invited to Worlds, but I don't know if I agree with the second place getting invited. Maybe give the paid trip to first and give an unpaid trip to second. At nationals, IMHO it should be the 1st and 2nd getting paid trips and the 3rd and 4th getting unpaid trips. Give out 8 invites per age group through ratings, and let that be it. The USA doesn't need to have 30 people per age group representing it. And not everyone will be able to make it and play in it every year, and that is what makes it fun and challenging.

All this stuff about increasing invites and everyone and their grandma making it into worlds doesn't.

someone explain this to me, why did, they do all of this in the first place?

2 years ago we had gym chllenges, a more open worlds, and it was fun to go to tournies. Now with all the competition and ranking it harder for people to have fun anymore.

I guess what I want to know is what was the problem with things before

What we had in the past:

Better prizes
More tournaments
More chances to go to worlds
a top cut defined by attendance
Prizes for Top 4
A fun enviroment, not completly dominated by rankings
Paid trips

What we have now:
Reduced prizes
less tournaments
less chances at worlds
a closed off worlds
pre-decided top cut
Ranking dominated enviroment (must win)
prizes for top 2

I dunno, seems like it's gone downhill. There must be a way to incorporate rankings in a fair, but still fun way. Gym challenges were the perfect tournamnet, if someone started later in the season, or had some bad tournaments, they got another chance. People say "well sometimes noobs win GC" oh well, like the newb is goona hurt you at worlds?

What positives have there been from all the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back