Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Poliwags Nationals Summary

Poliwag92

So this was my first Nationals and I was happy to go and believed I had a good shot at top32 with much help by James Flint who I tested with during the weeks leading up to Nationals and Eric and Matt E. who helped me during the BR's and with my Ape List.

I get to the Columbus Convention centre at like 1 or so and go get my 70 buck badge and get into the Nationals by buying my ticket which I was worried would be oversold.

I go to play at the 2:45 tournament stated in the event guide but turns out it starts at 10 and goes on till like 2 or 3.

So I meet up with James F, Jeff V,Dan R, OLD_SCHOOL_PLAYER, and BJBangle.

We all watch Jeff's matches in the constructed.

Then I meet up with Gunner from TIY and we play in the evening.

Matt Stanhke arrives at around 6.

Then I come at around 10 and just test out my Ape deck vs. Gunner and others. BJBangle comes, halo2 comes, and some other randoms are there and I end up leaving at around 12:30

Saturday

I walk in at 9:28 and meet up with James F in the middle of that mile long exhibit hall and we get in line at exactly 9:29:38. I choose the deck check and it was a right move as my DRE I had from Magma Aqua has a different wording so I am able to replace it and get OK'd by Lugias_Realm. He's a nice guy.

So I go to the shirt and pin and card at the table.

So I'm playing Ape and I'm confident that I have one of the best lists out there until I found out that Adam V. was playing Spinda!

Round 1: Vs. Walker, Texas Ranger

Actually his name was Wieldman or something and he play metanite.

Now this is s'posed to be a good match for ape. But I can't get a Delcatty!

I have to blow all my Trans on Adventurerand get one when he has taken a commanding lead. So I manage an Ape and it gets swallowed by Lugia ex. I get it too like 2-2 with around 10 left and make one of my very few misplays by putting out a delcatty ex and forgot that he could lugia anything. So That was the game:(

So I guess 0-1 doesn't hurt that much in Nationals cause you have many rounds to play.

Today I find out his rating was at 1600! So I have lost around 31 points!

Round 2:vs. Boston guy.

This guy was a wierd fellow. He started off with good talk and all but then he made me mad.

I transciever and look at my discard pile then go to look at my deck and he say's you can't do that and I'm like ok all right just give me some sportsmanship. He's playing a Lati@s ex d deck with Blaziken and Lugia ex. Then comes a very messy point in the game. I swear this turn he had double fire startered with one blaze and he keeps changing his story on how he could firestarter to a lugia, and play a latios ex d with an holons castform on it in one turn? Do you see how it is plauisble with only one blaze firestarter?
He claims he already had the energy on lugia and played mewtwo d to switch the energy. And he kept his bench in a 3-2 pyramid so his hand was covering up the mewtwo d. So I get it to 1-1 prizes and time on my turn. I DRE ape his Latias ex and he has no energy to do 90 or 100 so he plays chicken and retreats his way out to by time. Lugias_Realm and I both tell him to play his bench in line with eachother not a 3-2 formation. He runs out of energy and I flare up FTW. Very close game but I swear he cheated so w/e.

Round 3: Vs. Infernape mirror

I played this dude from MD yesterday in a pickup tournament, the only one I could sign up for the whole time, I wanted to play more but got too busy with testing. He got lucky yesterday and got mentor and delcattys out t3 and blew me out by 3 prizes. Today was the opposite. We both got setups but he was more willing to wait 2 turns for ape instead of DRE ape. I used my pluspowers well to do 2-1 with Apes.
I win easily

Round 4: Vs. Hitmonchan93

So he's playing Ape and starts with skittys and gets no mentor or trans and I get the donk a few turns later.

Round 5: vs. Joe Getsy

This guy really made me mad. He shows up and talks to everyone around him asking if I was good or not. How disrespectful is that? Then as I shuffle he blatantly tries to peek at my deck to see what I'm playing. Then instead of him cutting my deck he shuffles my deck. FOR A MINUTE. He side shuffles it and I can see him looking at my cards and I'm just sitting watching this all unfold. So I find out the real way what he's playing by starting at the clock. It's bancham, one of my choices I wanted to play, but had too many loose ends to complete and not enough testing. I make my 2nd misplay and could've done T1 Ape DRE but Instead used my celio for a delcatty:nonono: Then he would've been on the ropes with just a meditite but he gets mentor and sets up and I run out of Apes. During this whole match he shuffles my deck every single cut. That is just disrespect and untrustworthiness and bad sportsmanship by this guy. I mean he was shuffling longer than I was! And I shuffled for a good 15-20 seconds. The match went on to under 10 minutes when it should've been a 10 minute game with my poor start.

Round 6: Vs. Chelsey Ballard

So this is James's sister and she hasn't played for 2 years but she still had some serious skills left!
She played ludicargo and got a good start and I couldn't stop he once I discarded my windstorms thinking she played no Battle Frontier but I was wrong and couldn't energy draw. Very dominant performance by her and she ended up making top32!

Round 7: So I play this guy from NC and he gets a god MARIO start against my skitties and yeah its fast and ugly. This game was shorter than the wave the 11-14 group did. I suggested doing a wave of the finger as a group but it didn't catch on....

Round 8: Vs. Ape Mirror

He gets bad late ape start and I out Ape him.

So I finish 4-4 and takeoff immediately for food then come back around 11 for the draft and check that quite a few 5-3 got in so wasn't too far off finishing in 61st place.

Play in the gym draft which was quite boring since I and about everyone else was tired and fed up. Maybe if you start at like 10 then it would be fine. But most people their were under 18 I would say so yeah most of us needed the rest...... And some people there weren't even from the gym just randoms that were still playing.

Sunday

Go sign up for constructed. Find out James lost:frown: in top32. I start 2-0 and lose my last 4. The last 2 by being decked by electanite and Ryperior.

Electanite was that I forgot to use constrain so i could flare up and do the infinite 140.

OSP managed to run the table by netdecking speedban on the gym and did quite well.

So then I say my good byes.

I met a lot of new people at nats:
Moza
halo2
hitmonchan93
Zaniken
DM8
OLD_SCHOOL_PLAYER
Others as well and my people I already knew.

Props:
Tournament very well run except the senior divison.......
Jeff. V for top4 see you in Hawaii
James for helping me test
Matt for being the jokester
Everyone else

Slops:
Walker, Texas Ranger
Joe Getsy
Boston Player
OLD_SCHOOL_PLAYER- HA just messing:lol:
The HJ giving a game loss to Jeff. V for accidently knocking over those loose barricades. They were so loose! Come on Game Loss gimme a break! That's total BS. And He overcame the adversity and made top 4 and being a low seeded player. Now he probably would've been 7-1 and be a good top 10 seed.
James- PRIZES PRIZES PRIZES:nonono:
GAME LOSS FOR PRIZES, BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Loose guard rails
The 20 minute walk fromt he Hyatt to Hall F haha even though I stayed at the other Hyatt but did the experience
Toby!

Round 5: vs. Joe Getsy

This guy really made me mad. He shows up and talks to everyone around him asking if I was good or not. How disrespectful is that? Then as I shuffle he blatantly tries to peek at my deck to see what I'm playing. Then instead of him cutting my deck he shuffles my deck. FOR A MINUTE. He side shuffles it and I can see him looking at my cards and I'm just sitting watching this all unfold. So I find out the real way what he's playing by starting at the clock. It's bancham, one of my choices I wanted to play, but had too many loose ends to complete and not enough testing. I make my 2nd misplay and could've done T1 Ape DRE but Instead used my celio for a delcatty Then he would've been on the ropes with just a meditite but he gets mentor and sets up and I run out of Apes. During this whole match he shuffles my deck every single cut. That is just disrespect and untrustworthiness and bad sportsmanship by this guy. I mean he was shuffling longer than I was! And I shuffled for a good 15-20 seconds. The match went on to under 10 minutes when it should've been a 10 minute game with my poor start.
Gee, thanks for giving me any respect. All I asked him was if he knew who you were and your deck.

Gee, thanks for giving me any respect. All I asked him was if he knew who you were and your deck.

So the rest is true then?

Poliwag, call a judge next time. Unless he want to pay for a new batch of sleeves tell the dude to cut. If he thinks the deck is stacked :rolleyes: he has the option to have a judge shuffle the deck.

Good report. Better luck next time!

I respected you by not asking people what deck you played and if anyone knew you because I don't need a competitive edge to figure out how to play my deck by figuring out what my opponent plays before we flip our cards and start playing. I saw you countless times at the beginning of the patch tilting your head toward Orion who was sitting next to you can looking at my deck and I was trying to keep it hidden from you but once you got grasp of my deck and side shuffled so you could see my deck that was unfair and disrespectful.

You show a lack of respect to me as a player by shuffling my deck and looking at it on the side before the round started. You were shuffling as though I shouldn't need to shuffle because only your shuffling is good enough for you and not mine. Cuts are fine but shuffling on every single time I play a searcher is just plain ridiculous and uncalled for.

You show a lack of respect to me as a player by shuffling my deck and looking at it on the side before the round started. You were shuffling as though I shouldn't need to shuffle because only your shuffling is good enough for you and not mine. Cuts are fine but shuffling on every single time I play a searcher is just plain ridiculous and uncalled for.

Many players shuffle other players decks instead of cutting them as a matter of habit. I am sure it was not a slight to you in anyway...simply that players normal procedure for cutting decks. It is not illegal in anyway nor is the action implying you are cheating.

Yes but shuffling my deck and looking into it before play begins is wrong and if the rule allows that then that is wrong.

all i did to your deck was I shuffled it instead of cutting it. That is perfectly legal.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

mods can you lock this or something I dont want to see everyone arguing about this

Last edited:
all i did to your deck was I shuffled it instead of cutting it. That is perfectly legal.

mods can you lock this or something I dont want to see everyone arguing about this

Ok first of all, I thought this was settled and done, and then out of nowhere you bump the thread up to page one when it was way in the back of the conventions forum, so way to go there.

I'm not arguing about shuffling your deck don't get me wrong about that.

You were peeking at my deck beforehand to see what I was playing so you would know what to purepower with your Bancham. Hey, it's a good strategy if your opponent doesn't see it. Once you brought out the Medicham I found it more conclusive as to why you were peeking on the side of my deck and looking into my deck while it was being shuffled.

Good strategy, you had me beat anyway after I misplayed T1.

The thread doesn't need to be locked, I'm willing to drop it if you are Joe, k? But if you bring back any grudge or anything then I will take further action.

chriscobi- Yes, nice to meet you again and hang around with you. Wish I was there for Midwest vs. Florida though:tongue:

Don't lock this.

Did you really ask people are you what your opponent was playing before the game? That's weak.

If you side-shuffle my deck, I'm ref-ing you up.

good report poliwag. and thanks for mentioning how someone may have cheated you. now, i'm gonna be on the lookout if someone does that to me. cause that's not right.

for me, i shuffle my opponent's deck from time to time. but i never side shuffle it so i can peek what's inside. or if i do side shuffle it. i look away from the deck so everything's fair.

Poliwag don't wory, Joe getsy is a cheater and disrespectfull anyways. I have proof. he got caught cheating against me in worlds 05 and he flipped out on the judge and went crazy so don't worry about him. You did good.

Its not wrong for him to shuffle your deck, but too look at it and ask people around you if you are any good makes me really mad. Ever since I played him in 05 I have not liked him and have wondered how he does so well in tournaments when he cheated against me

Last edited:
Don't lock this.

Did you really ask people are you what your opponent was playing before the game? That's weak.

If you side-shuffle my deck, I'm ref-ing you up.

Joe to Orion Craig- "You know what he plays?" Orion- hunches and says, "Nah I don't know him."

Kid sitting to the right of Joe- "You know what he plays?" Kid- Same sort of answer the hunch of shoulders.

doctor- yes he was side shuffling and peeking in, but only for pregame.

60746- really that's interesting to know

Kevin- Hey thanks, I'll do my absolute and fair best!

My brother said this Joe guy is a cheater and blatently uses "shuffling the deck" to stall and eat up the clock. If you endup seeing him at worlds keep a close eye.

My brother said this Joe guy is a cheater and blatently uses "shuffling the deck" to stall and eat up the clock. If you endup seeing him at worlds keep a close eye.

yea i watch him, but if i say something nothing will happen cuz no1 listens to senior playes, sadly enuogh but its true :frown: :frown: :frown::frown:

Yeah that's very true, our game should've been 5-10 minutes tops but it ended up being a 6-2 or 6-3 win for him in 20 minutes.

Back