Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Post Pokemon Collector Strategy

keniselvis

I apologize if this has been answered already. Just point me where to go if it has.

If Pokemon Collector and Dual Ball get rotated out, what are the possible engines for searching for pokemon in the early game?

Poke Ball
Level Ball
Heavy Ball
Pokemon Communication (to get the one you want)
Great Ball

Anything else?

thanks.

Well that not even woth mentioning compared to emolga. Lapras requires a water energy and it hase two retreat cost while emolga hase free retreat and uses one collerless to attack.

First Contact Elgyem?

Bench 2 for a Colourless Energy. The fact that it has a Retreat cost makes it better than Emolga in some decks. You have to attach to both to use the attack, and Elgyem then puts it in the discard when you retreat, instead of sitting there wasting it.

Collector has become more broken the longer this format has gone on, especially when dark decks start to hit the scene in the next couple of months. We'll have to rely on level ball, comm and call for family attacks.

First Contact Elgyem?

Bench 2 for a Colourless Energy. The fact that it has a Retreat cost makes it better than Emolga in some decks. You have to attach to both to use the attack, and Elgyem then puts it in the discard when you retreat, instead of sitting there wasting it.

While true, Elgyem's the retreat isn't the only hindrance. Elgyem has weakness to :psychic: which could prove deadly in next format with Mewtwo EX remaining a constant threat next format.

Though it is still worth consideration to be sure.

While true, Elgyem's the retreat isn't the only hindrance. Elgyem has weakness to :psychic: which could prove deadly in next format with Mewtwo EX remaining a constant threat next format.

Though it is still worth consideration to be sure.

I still believe it will be fairly good. Getting two basics for one energy is like getting a T1 double heads Dual Ball. The only way Mewtwo would harm anything is if it KO'd it T1. I mean they will need to go first, start with a Mewtwo and be able to attach a DCE to KO it before it gets to do anything, and even then you can just Level Ball for another.

Collector has become more broken the longer this format has gone on, especially when dark decks start to hit the scene in the next couple of months. We'll have to rely on level ball, comm and call for family attacks.
Exactly. I made a thread about this awhile ago (here). Did I call it or what? :biggrin:

My opinion on this whole thing is expressed in detail in that thread. But I'm glad we got Emongola since then to give us an alternative to Elgyem.

I think the lack of Collector in this Dragon Selection thing is only proof that there will either be no rotation or a rotation to BW-on. They can't do CL-on when it will leave Dual Ball in the format. That would give the big basic decks way too much of an advantage. It also doesn't make sense to leave like five cards in the format with Powers/Bodies and give everything else an Ability. It's too confusing for new players. The only thing in the HS sets that risks becoming broken is Vileplume, but that Espeon coming out ruins most of the "broken" strategies revolving around it. I would like Junk Arm gone, though.

Also, thinking back to DP-RR for worlds, we wouldn't have had Roseanne anymore if they had rotated to MD-on then. Unless the POP series reprint would have fixed it; I don't remember. We didn't get Collector until States that year. So maybe they won't rotate, since that leaves us with more sets. But this is all speculation, of course.

I really wish Emongola could search three or four basics instead of two though. It would give Stage 2 decks a better chance to do well, and most of the 6C/CaKE/Celebi decks don't even like a full bench right away since overbenching can ruin their game easily.

Last edited:
Ultraball, anyone?

How does collector become more broken once we get our next set? Doesn't really seem to change much as far as I can see.

Edit:
Also, I don't really think collector is all that broken. I don't know what we had before collector, but Roseanne was arguably better, especially with Uxie and Claydol, especially when you consider there was the potential to grab 2 energy with Roseanne, then bench 3 basics Pachirisu GE. When you think about THAT compared to what we have now, Collector seems mild.

Last edited:
I guess because of the new Zoroark?

Anyhoo, if Collector is rotated and there is no multiple Basic search outside of a couple of CFF Pokemon . . . that will probably be the final nail in the coffin for Stage 2 decks.

Also, I don't really think collector is all that broken. I don't know what we had before collector, but Roseanne was arguably better, especially with Uxie and Claydol, especially when you consider there was the potential to grab 2 energy with Roseanne, then bench 3 basics Pachirisu GE. When you think about THAT compared to what we have now, Collector seems mild.

Roseanne was most definitely a better card than Collector in a lot of decks . . . more useful past the first few turns and made off-Type teching easier (grab tech + Energy).

Roseanne was never broken though, and I don't believe Collector is either.

It wouldnt change it baby mario. I cant see why you say this.

Stage 2 Pokemon typically have weak Basics. If they cannot bench multiples, they will be Catcher/KO'd by faster decks before they have the chance to even set up. Why do you think people grab 2 Oddish when they need to set up 1 Vileplume? Because they know that one won't survive long enough to evolve. Sure, you can grab Basics with Ultra Ball/Level Ball, but then you are relying on having multiples of those in your opening hand, as opposed to 1 Collector.

I want to see something like holon mentor, or some kind of rule on a collector-ish card that you can only search for basics that evolve, have a hp cap of 90 hp, or a 1 retreat cost--or something like that.

They can't do CL-on when it will leave Dual Ball in the format. That would give the big basic decks way too much of an advantage.

I really wish Emongola could search three or four basics instead of two though. It would give Stage 2 decks a better chance to do well, and most of the 6C/CaKE/Celebi decks don't even like a full bench right away since overbenching can ruin their game easily.

You say that collector is good for basic decks and makes them broken, and dual ball is too,

then say that having an attack that does the same as collector will be better for evolutions...

Sorry but you kinda lost me on this one.

Mario,
I don't think Roseanne or Collector is broken. I just meant that its not worse than what we had before. And, I find it hard to believe anyone is going to complain about the new Zoroark. Yeah, it is good, but honestly, its not better than the Zoroark we have now.

Back