Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

PTCGO: The Hope, The Promise, The Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosJim

First, let me introduce myself (if you already know me, you can skip to the second paragraph). My name is Jimmy O’Brien, and I’ve loved Pokémon since I first heard about it. I thought the way it used a game to connect players would change video games forever. I had already tried my hand at Magic (I enjoyed it but was bad). The news of a Pokémon Online Game was awesome, and I got really into it. I played feverishly, getting 2nd at the 2000 East Coast Super Trainer Showdown, and took a number of years off to return in 2008 to become a World Championship Semi-Finalist.

For a long time there had been Apprentice, an online TCG client that was originally used for Magic: the Gathering. It had serious connection issues, you needed to know your opponent’s IP in order to play. Eventually, other options arose like Redshark and PlayTCG. Meanwhile, Magic had Magic: the Gathering Online (MTGO). Many Pokémon players thought we could only hope for something like that. Eventually though, Pokémon grew enough that Pokémon Trading Card Game Online arose. For many of us long time fans, we had finally come to see what seemed like the best we could hope for.

PTCGO was a work in progress, but we, the fans, were happy to help by playing a large number of games, and detailing problems we encountered for those trying to improve the game. I personally put in hours not only to actually playing games (which I obviously enjoyed), but trying to figure out what was broken about the game, and becoming a member of the PTCGO community (which surprisingly was a little different than the PTCG community I knew).

Five months ago, Jason Klaczynski, one of the most respected players in our community, made a post on the PTCGO forums (seen here http://www.pokemontcg.com/forums/fe...suggestion-bug-report-from-experienced-player ). Basically, over the course of 5 pages people chime in to agree with Jason and help revise his concerns. These aren’t the only issues with PTCGO, there are in fact meta-issues, but I’d like to look back on Jason’s 20 points to see what has actually been accomplished in 5 months.

Then I’ll add some points of my own as to why I’m concerned PTCGO will not grow:
1) Fix the lag – Simply put, the game runs just as slowly as before. This could be because the game is flash based, but this should have been seen as an issue before reaching the public on their home PCs.
2) Counteroffer bug – Counteroffers don’t work for many people still.
3) My Wanted bug – Most people do not have their ‘wanted cards’ save, still.
4) Offline trade notification – Then and now, it only shows trade offers accepted in the order that they were made. We asked for a notification showing which offers were accepted, and we haven’t received it.
5) Duplicate card bug – Perhaps Jason misnamed this, but the game will let you make trade offers for cards that are not in circulation (Promo Litwick before it was available for example)
6) Waiting for opponent to acknowledge cards – hasn’t been improved.
7) Slowness of powers – powers that are ‘as many times as you like during your turn’ still take a long time to perform. This is good for no one.
8) Time glitches – sometimes the clock runs extra, sometimes it doesn’t give people a loss for using all of their time.
9) Animation of shuffling your hand into your deck – still slow.
10) Confirm trade offers that receive nothing – Why let people make the mistake of giving their cards away? It really looks like you just don’t care about them.
11) Immediate placement of lone basic – still the program immediately places it for you, giving the player going first an unfair advantage that doesn’t occur in real life.
12) Bench display bug – still not fixed
13) Facedown card bug – still not fixed
14) Public search offer – has never worked for me or anyone I’ve asked
15) Theme deck cost – this might’ve been fixed, but really, is probably the least important thing possible. I tried to check, and the shop wasn’t working correctly.
16) Add a rematch button – no comment
17) Multiple possibility trade offers – this actually seems a little more difficult to implement cleanly than many of the other suggestions, but I’ve seen no indication that we are moving in this direction.
18) Disconnected Time – while “fixed” from 5 minutes down to 30-60 seconds as Jason asked, it doesn’t always keep that time correctly.
19) Punish idling – isn’t in effect, I’ve accidentally forgotten games were going and people conceded to me. This is unfair.
20) Simplify entering codes – it still takes far too long, and way too many clicks.

Those were twenty helpful comments, basically none of which were implemented over 5 months. What makes it worse? A handful of highly used cards simply do not work. What is even worse still? Cards like Victory Medal, Tropical Beach, and Tropical Wind (which competitive players use in tournaments and practice with) can’t be used, and there has been no announcement on if or how they plan to distribute these cards.

Allowing a secondary market for digital cards was a big issue, an argument was made that it would grow the game, and the counterpoint was, “it is our policy that these cards cannot be sold.” While the legal language was ambiguous and the penalties were harsh, we players eventually just thought, “things will get better.” Five months later, despite our best efforts as individuals and a community, things have not gotten better.

We were promised, in particular, a new, shinier version of PTCGO at the beginning of the year. February has started, and I haven’t seen an indication of this. The worst bug of all has surfaced instead: people are missing cards out of their collection. In particular, Ultra-Rare cards. PTCGO has no record of these people trading these cards away, but they claim they cannot verify that these cards were on someone’s account to begin with. Video proof is apparently insufficient. When customer service was unhelpful, and Electrified Games was contacted about it, Randy Buehler notified a player that Electrified Games’ contract came to a natural conclusion and was not renewed and could not help. So, while people lose their collection, bugs aren’t fixed, and there is no indicator of when things will really get better: what should we do?

I’ve been basically avoiding PTCGO since early December, hoping the shiny version in the beginning of 2012 would draw me back into a game I spent so much time and effort on. Instead, I think we need to figure out as a community (with Pokémon) what to do moving forward. We are experiencing an unacceptable status quo, with no improvement in sight.

Last edited:
It's disheartening to see how little the program has improved. I'm not sure what goes on behind the scenes, but clearly something is wrong or there is a lack of communication somewhere. Even though the game is in the beta stage, it was released to the public, and people have had a lot of time to experience it. At the very least, people will be frustrated at the fact that bugs and glitches were not fixed in a timely manner. For example, it was known since the closed beta that Defender was bugged and did not prevent self-damage, and that still has not been fixed.

In the worst case, people will write PTCGO off as a flop - even if it does get fixed - because of its initial poor impression. It may be too late to salvage this missed opportunity to grow and expand the game. I hope that's not the case, but it might be the grim reality. If this doesn't succeed, it will be a huge blow to the Pokémon TCG.

I agree..

Whats sad is that tis programm has soo much potential but I cant even be sure if well ever see it used.

In the beginning I was really hiped about it, I planned on doing something like pooka does, maybe in german. So I asked people for their codes, traded for them, etc. And a lot of people just gave me their codes which made me happy at first. Til I finally got a playable deck together and realized I was still mostly playing against starter decks. And then realized these were obviously related to each other.

I think the problem is that people never really got interested in the programm since it was hard to get a complete deck in the beginning and no one was willing to buy a ton of codes / boosters because of all the flaws and the fact that they couldnt be sure if theyd ever get tournaments / anything "worthwhile". Because If you only want to test against some friends other programms work fine, you wont have to buy anything, wont have to deal with flash and tcgo still doesnt have an option to play against people you want to play (which tbh is hardly believable ...) The benefits of tcgo could be things like official support (special promo items for top ranked people?), Tournaments which could be part of the official tournament season and smoother gameplay. But non of that happened and by now the hype is completly gone.

I also think people would be willing to accept that its "just" beta if theyd see improvements and some input from someone official but by now hardly anything happens and "well have a new version up next year and fix everything there" just doesnt cut it anymore..

And even if theyd finally release that update, im not sure if that would come in time. The hype and expectations are kinda gone and id will be hard to convince people whi already wrote this off to check it out again. Im still waiting for that update and I really hope that it will be one that will blow people away and that it will come soon.

I sometimes feel like no one knows exactly where this whole project is supposed to go anyways :/

And the whole "Pooka/lost cards" thing is just inexcusable and a slap in the face, they cant be serious about this...

On a more positive note I finally decided to actually play a few games again and finally manage to get "reasonable" opponents every second game.

It's disheartening to see how little the program has improved. I'm not sure what goes on behind the scenes, but clearly something is wrong or there is a lack of communication somewhere. Even though the game is in the beta stage, it was released to the public, and people have had a lot of time to experience it. At the very least, people will be frustrated at the fact that bugs and glitches were not fixed in a timely manner. For example, it was known since the closed beta that Defender was bugged and did not prevent self-damage, and that still has not been fixed.

In the worst case, people will write PTCGO off as a flop - even if it does get fixed - because of its initial poor impression. It may be too late to salvage this missed opportunity to grow and expand the game. I hope that's not the case, but it might be the grim reality. If this doesn't succeed, it will be a huge blow to the Pokémon TCG.

I don't know if they have a list somewhere, but maybe a sticky topic in the PTCGO forum on Pokegym, we can make a list of what bugs the game has. We know that P!P visits this board, I'm sure that this might help. I'm not going to get into anything, based on previous stuff that has happened to deal with the PTCGO and emails. However, a list has to be a good way of getting things fixed. I think if the game wasn't fully free, then maybe things would get done quicker. That's some of my thoughts on this.

Drew

I would have to agree that I have felt the same may. In my layman's opinion, since I do not play much on there, it seems there are more bugs and glitches occurring every time there is an update, which is implemented in order to fix most of these glitches.

I was eagerly excited when I learned there was a beta version and that was what initially drew me into playing the game IRL, but now I avoid it. Load time is incredibly long, granted my connection is not the best, and I find the match up system to be faulty.

They also do have information on tournaments, etc., on their FAQ guides (I think), yet no tournament is offered. Many people want tournaments and I think that if they can fix the bugs in time, launching straight into a tournament with good communication between players and coders/runners then that could cause enough hype to get it going again. But it has to occur soon, IMO.

One thign I forgot but we absolutly need a ladder system, im tired of playing against starter decks, just not fun for anyone...

I hoped and dreamed for a full client game like Magic Online - complete with features like 24 hour limited, booster draft, support for unlimited as well as modified, practice events in the online game which award digital boosters.

Just to put icing on the cake, do an online redemption of a full set of virtual cards for real cards. (Wizards does this and its a very popular feature for those who play a lot.)

Having it be a flash based game where such inane things as trying to retreat Typhlosion after using its Afterburner power disconnected me is awful. I gave up on PTCGO after repeated issues like that.

I don't know what happened with whoever is working on it... I feel like they've almost given up on it, or don't care about it very much. I hope this isn't the case, but maybe they should hire a third party team to work on it, someone who will actually fix it up.

Frankie Durso predicted this would flop completely. I disagreed with him and said P!P would be absolutely insane to let a program that has so much potential to grow the game fail. I can see now that he was correct. I have a bunch of codes sitting in a deck box and I don't even care to type them in because the program is such a piece of garbage. It really is a shame that this project is failing.

I think this program actually reflects the TCG as a whole. Even though so many people try to keep it alive and spread the game, it seems the the people who are in charge of it don't care. The fact that we don't even have a complete answer as to whether or not Cities Medals will still be distributed is a problem they have yet to fix, the loss of over $100,000 in scholarships from regionals is an issue, the lack of communication is a problem. It seems that for every 2 problems in PTCGO, there is another problem facing the game's community in real life.

A sad day it is for this great game that has brought joy to so many people

Probably already mentioned, but ness did a great job of compiling bugs and complaints into a thread, and reposted it on the ptcgo forums. I don't think one thing was changed.

The fact that we don't even have a complete answer as to whether or not Cities Medals will still be distributed is a problem they have yet to fix, the loss of over $100,000 in scholarships from regionals is an issue, the lack of communication is a problem.

Jason, don't even mention cities. I still haven't gotten my medal for Fall Regionals. :frown:

What players think of the tcgo client can be reflected in the price of TCGO code cards.

Codes were going for nearly $1/each at one point, and now arn't even selling at half of that.

Some of this can be attributed to a saturation of codes, however it's clear there isn't as much of a demand for them anymore.

Last edited:
Haven't played since Noble Victories came out and the game really got buggy. Eviolite/N and all the glitches from the past have really sucked the fun out of the game.

It's really sad to because for a lot of people, myself included, it's a huge testing tool that I can no longer rely on.

I'd rather play Slaughter Sport on the Sega Genesis over Pokemon TCG Online. PTCO is like not fun at all. I'd rather max out credit cards on REAL cards because that is much more fun than this program.

It shouldn't have costed money to get booster packs in the game. Fatal flaw in the game.

Nearly one year after its release, PTCGO is a complete failure. Players are choosing other programs (namely PlayTCG) for their online play. Almost no improvements have been seen in the program. Players still have no way to play against a friend of their choice - a completely inexcusable failure by the development team. The notorious lag remains and as we prepare for the release of Next Destinies some of the cards from Noble Victories still do not work properly. These failures are reflected in the price of code cards online, which have fallen about 30% on eBay.

The lack of updates from PUI has been inexcusable. Perhaps even more frustrating is the fact that players are so eager to contribute feedback and have reported the weaknesses in the program. I personally e-mailed PUI offering to volunteer my time to help improve the program and was scolded in the e-mail response I received. Kyle Sucevich had cards from his account simply vanish. When he filled out a support ticket, he was told he traded the cards away - yet recorded video streams prove he had the cards after the alleged trade date provided. Kyle has still not had his cards replaced nor has he received a solution.

It's my strong belief that every problem the Pokémon TCG faces both on PTCGO and in Organized Play can be fixed by PUI simply listening to and communicating with the players.

Last edited:
It's not entirely my place to comment on this thread, as I'm on neither the OP team nor the TCGO team, but I felt I should say something.

I sit about 10 feet from the TCGO team, so I hear a good chunk of what they talk about. Please believe me when I say that the TCGO team is aware of these issues and have actively working to fix them for months. There's a post here that talks about this a bit.

Obviously, we'd have all preferred to have the current game engine work as intended. Sadly, that didn't work out. I know that they're hard at work completely overhauling the infrastructure of the game. As a result, many of the existing bugs that are linked directly to the current infrastructure end up fairly low on the list of priorities. There are certainly some exceptions to this rule, but it's the reality of the matter. Should an issue like Kyle's missing cards prove to be as widespread as some folks are implying, that would certainly be one of those issues that would immediately skyrocket to the top of the priority list.

I can't imagine that completely recoding a game like TCGO is a fast process. It's going to take time to get it right. A small bit of sliver lining in all of this is that the team has the advantage of seeing what's gone wrong with the current version and is using that as a road map to avoid the same problems.

I would encourage all of you to continue to submit bug reports. I'll suggest to the TCGO team that short reply to each bug report to the effect of, "Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We've logged the issue and will investigate further," will at least allow the bug reporter to know that their issue has been acknowledged.

Thanks,

I feel it is a failure as well, sadly. I'm glad I didn't invest too much into it.

Truthfully, I think Redshark is better, user friendly, pick your opponent, and everything is free. Yeah it may not be as pretty as PTCGO, but I've always wanted efficeny over appearance.
Posted with Mobile style...

It's not entirely my place to comment on this thread, as I'm on neither the OP team nor the TCGO team, but I felt I should say something.

I sit about 10 feet from the TCGO team, so I hear a good chunk of what they talk about. Please believe me when I say that the TCGO team is aware of these issues and have actively working to fix them for months. There's a post here that talks about this a bit.

Obviously, we'd have all preferred to have the current game engine work as intended. Sadly, that didn't work out. I know that they're hard at work completely overhauling the infrastructure of the game. As a result, many of the existing bugs that are linked directly to the current infrastructure end up fairly low on the list of priorities. There are certainly some exceptions to this rule, but it's the reality of the matter. Should an issue like Kyle's missing cards prove to be as widespread as some folks are implying, that would certainly be one of those issues that would immediately skyrocket to the top of the priority list.

I can't imagine that completely recoding a game like TCGO is a fast process. It's going to take time to get it right. A small bit of sliver lining in all of this is that the team has the advantage of seeing what's gone wrong with the current version and is using that as a road map to avoid the same problems.

I would encourage all of you to continue to submit bug reports. I'll suggest to the TCGO team that short reply to each bug report to the effect of, "Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We've logged the issue and will investigate further," will at least allow the bug reporter to know that their issue has been acknowledged.

Thanks,

Thank you!

This is the kind of statement I was looking for.. "Were realizing that the current system isnt working all that great and instead of resolving every issue seperatly were kinda renewing the whole thing"

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear and this makes me really happy and gives me back some hope. But why does it have to come from someone who is sitting next to the guys who should be posting this :p?

I wish official people would just star communicating more, just give us some feedback, something.. I dont mind the programm not working if I know theyre on it but with no feedback / nothing happening most people just got the idea that the whole project was abandoned already.

I still feel like you guys will have to deliver quite something to "renew" the hype but Im hoping =)

And redoing the whole thing is probably for the best, better then hotfixing around every issue again and again. Everything works smoother when coded a second time :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back