Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sorry to have a rant, but this is not acceptable...

Ace_Gaming

A few players from our region (East Yorkshire) have complained that at the Nationals there were quite a few nasty comments made frequently about their playing ability because they came from East Yorkshire. Now this is unheard of for anywhere else and I want to know where and who it is coming from. I've also happened to notice the players with this complex are all around the London/Oxford area.

We had comments such as "he's from East Yorkshire so he can't be very good" and "I should go up to East Yorkshire and beat all the crap players to win the prizes". We had a 12 year old in tears the other day because of people like this, plus several angry players. There have been similar comments on this forum from, shall we say "well respected members", about this too - and you know who you are!

But for example someone were to comment "He's a crap player because he is Indian" etc, there would be absolute outrage - so why are people commenting on people's playng ability in the different regions of the U.K. when most have not even played in the tournaments up here? It isn't on, and frankly I'm disgusted at this since many of our players are seriously considering whether or not to go to next years Nationals because of this unfair slander. I'm sure PUI would not be impressed if they heard what kind of behaviour was going on at these high profile events, as you are infact breaking the spirit of the game quite serverly.

If you are one of these people, then stop it or at least keep those types of opinions to yourself. I understand this does not apply to everyone (we met some great people at nats!), but it is still quite worrying.

And to show you are wrong, many of our players infact came in the top 20 of their age group on Saturday, 3 of them made the top 16 cut and one the top 8 cut.. For all, this was their first time at the Nationals and I think they all deserve some credit for that at least.

Again, sorry to rant but this needs sorting. Now! (I'd appriciate some support from PUI staff please!)

Ace_Gaming said:
A few players from our region (East Yorkshire) have complained that at the Nationals there were quite a few nasty comments made frequently about their playing ability because they came from East Yorkshire. Now this is unheard of for anywhere else and I want to know where and who it is coming from. I've also happened to notice the players with this complex are all around the London/Oxford area.

We had comments such as "he's from East Yorkshire so he can't be very good" and "I should go up to East Yorkshire and beat all the crap players to win the prizes". We had a 12 year old in tears the other day because of people like this, plus several angry players. There have been similar comments on this forum from, shall we say "well respected members", about this too - and you know who you are!

But for example someone were to comment "He's a crap player because he is Indian" etc, there would be absolute outrage - so why are people commenting on people's playng ability in the different regions of the U.K. when most have not even played in the tournaments up here? It isn't on, and frankly I'm disgusted at this since many of our players are seriously considering whether or not to go to next years Nationals because of this unfair slander. I'm sure PUI would not be impressed if they heard what kind of behaviour was going on at these high profile events, as you are infact breaking the spirit of the game quite serverly.

If you are one of these people, then stop it or at least keep those types of opinions to yourself. I understand this does not apply to everyone (we met some great people at nats!), but it is still quite worrying.

And to show you are wrong, many of our players infact came in the top 20 of their age group on Saturday, 3 of them made the top 16 cut and one the top 8 cut.. For all, this was their first time at the Nationals and I think they all deserve some credit for that at least.

Again, sorry to rant but this needs sorting. Now! (I'd appriciate some support from PUI staff please!)

Make you complaint on the day to the Judges and TO.

Make your complaint in writing to POP and PUI.

Make your complaint here.. all you do is let off steam and maybe start a flame war?

Nationals is a day when ego's can get too inflated and when players can get testy.

Yes the trash talking is well known from some quarters, equally I saw some pretty poor behaviour from newer players from elsewhere other than the South East. You must address it on the day, to the judges or directly with POP. Here is not the appropriate place.. sorry to say it but it remains true..

And that behaviour is not only confined to the UK London/Oxford Area.. see some of the US posts here and on other boards.. I don't agree with it myself but it does appear to be tollerated :(

Just don't do it too much at my tourneys... After all the "Spirit of the game" should be as important as the "winning of the game"

Wow ppl who play Pokemon shouldn't be doing stuff like this!! This is wat i like to personally call Stereotyping and it's some messed up stuff!!!!! So the ppl's who were doing this outrageous nonsense should confess and take thier penalty!
U should be ranting this is not acceptable!!

yeuch.

From bitter experience I know that little can be done here. Sadly I have to say that the oportunity to deal with this most effectively has passed. The best time to fix this is during the tournament. I know that one player was warned for unsporting conduct but I don't know the details. eg I don't know if one of the East Yorkshire players was on the receiving end of the unsporting behaviour. You can send an email to TPFG [email protected] and also to [email protected] . I'm not sure what they can do about it though. Please don't let a minority spoil your enjoyment of pokemon.

Trash Talking has to be dealt with swiftly.

Sorry I can't offer anything more helpfull.

I agree that areas of players should not be discrimanted against and grouped together as bad players. I do however want to add, that a few of the newer players did show slight bad sportsmanship and would not tolerate with judges attempts to enforce a ruling via SOTG. I think this post is directed BOTH ways in that, throughout the 15+ there seemed to be a lack of SOTG on quite alot of the lower tables. I remember one incident with a new Jynx/Fett player but HEY thats another story *does it*.

I think, one of the things i enjoyed most about nationals, was watching my little brother play in the -10. I loved seeing him misplay and learn from it in the latter rounds, his top 4 opponents SOTG was truly AMAZING after am error of judgement from both the staff and players, i feel the card i gave the boy wasn't enough to symbolise my appreciation of his true class. There is NO pressure in the age category, they may not play as well, or know their rulings , but i feel we need to look at the foundationas of our game a little more. I know im alot more competitive then when i was 11, I also think i enjoyed the tournaments alot more when i was younger as things like accusations of stalling don't really factor. I mentioned on several occasions throughout the day, these tournaments don't feel the same anymore, and i think its both the new and more experienced players who have to fix it.

I WON NATS!!1

If your refering to my coment on my notes I assure you thats just a light hearted joke lol.

I loved seeing the players from all over the UK, playing at the same tournament - The best thing was getting to meet some new people, the bigger the tournament the wider the catchment area, the greater the fun. Out of my 6CC's the best one was in Exeter, where I got absolutly killed, but the SOTG was greatest there:thumb:

I didn't see any of this that was realy serious, but this sadly apears to mirror a few of the US players attitudes towards the international players, I can't stress enough it is the few though. If a kid is like at as a result, that is realy bad. Slops to them, and I agree fully with the sentiment of Sami's post - Spirit of the Game is more important than winning the game.

Last edited:
As much as I hate to discriminate, I have one discriminatory comment. And ironicically for this topic, it's the fact that almost all players here in my country (singapore) that came for Nats are not even 18, with only 7 ppl in the 15+ cat, with the HUGE majority in the 11-14.

The thing with kids is, though, they're all good mannared, and so I proudly claim the fact of playing in a childish environment. And the fact that everyone has a general consensus that any form of bad behaviour and vulgar language isn't tolerated.

I've seen my share of bad behaviour, of course, having played since 1999 (I'm 22). But at least these bad apples are usually ignored and soon disappear anyway, so I'm glad.

On area discrimination, it's tough, I know. I should, considering the endless comments I've heard about how players outside the US are weaker than them, just because the regular winners of Worlds are usually the Americans. It kinda struck me odd that the fact that the majority of players attending ARE the Americans, because the tourney takes place there. There're thousands of players overseas who never get to even whiff the air of such major tourneys, and several are really world-class.

thats horrible
no doubt one of you guys just kicked the crap out of them in a game
so they were all upset
and were trying to find someway to get back at you
dont pay attention to it

Notify the TO/Judge. From the POP Penalty guidelines, slander/name calling is considered a Major Unsporting Conduct, with a penalty of Game Loss or Greater...

7.7. Unsporting Conduct: Major
This infraction is for more serious event-disrupting occurrences, causing
intentionally damage, or other undesirable activities. These include, but are not
limited to:
• Theft
• Physical threats or assault
• Slander or name calling
• Intentionally falsely accusing other players of infractions
The severity of the penalty assigned should be relative to the amount of
disturbance, delay, or disruption caused by the erring player. If the event
operation is impacted, or any outside authority (like a store owner or local
security) needs to become involved, the player may need to be disqualified and
expelled from the event in order to minimize the impact and delay on the event.
Casual Penalty: Game Loss or greater
Competitive Penalty: Game Loss or greater
10 and Under: Judge’s discretion

amphyrules said:
I mentioned on several occasions throughout the day, these tournaments don't feel the same anymore, and i think its both the new and more experienced players who have to fix it.

There are lots reasons for this, here's a couple
1) You have moved up through the age groups.
2) You are an 'old hand' You can never recapture the excitement of that first tournament.

I don't think that it is getting worse: people are much the same as they were four years ago. I wouldn't put any blame on the newer players and I do think that it is very sad when a players first experience of a big tournament is a bad one.

ukpokemonpro said:
Yes the trash talking is well known from some quarters, equally I saw some pretty poor behaviour from newer players from elsewhere other than the South East. You must address it on the day, to the judges or directly with POP. Here is not the appropriate place.. sorry to say it but it remains true..

And that behaviour is not only confined to the UK London/Oxford Area.. see some of the US posts here and on other boards.. I don't agree with it myself but it does appear to be tollerated :(

ukpokemonpro, I find this quite hypocritical of you when even you yourself made similar such comments about the North East Regionals a couple of months ago:

ukpokemonpro said:
Okay guys a gals it's London TIME! Tomorrow is the real deal - No half full halls of local yokels - it's time for to step up to the plate with the big boys with bigger toys.. :D

Same goes for you Sami:

amphyrules said:
Yah its official, Hull isn't even a real place.

PFFFTTT

~Sami =D

This is the kind of attitude I'm talking about, of which is completely unjustified. Unfortuantly I do need to address it on here since this seems to be the source of the problem. Yes, I understand people are going to say these sort of things to others because of jealousy, spite etc - this is the real world after all, but the level to which it has now gone is too far. It needs stopping. And like someone kindly pointed out, it is breaking POP penalty guidelines serverley. I wish I had know just how serious it was on the day, otherwise there would have been hell to pay from some of these people...

IF you knew the background to that comment before quoting it, i think you would understand to a greater extent why I posted that.

1) Its a JOKE =\ IF you've ever talked to me for even 5 minutes you'll understand most of what i say is intended to lighten the atmosphere and i NEVER say things like that to intimidate opponents or w.e

2) The guys down in HULL, said that if i went down there, they would sweep me and some guy (Ben?) would trash mehh. So when ANDY sweeped them, i was happy ;D

3) Players from places like Hull (Which im STILL pretty sure doesn't exist) ;D, BTW THAT WAS A JOKE ACE GAMING, I WILL EDIT IT OUT IF YOU FEEL IT MEENS I THINK HULL PLAYERS AREN'T VERY GOOD. Yah Players From places who haven't attended major tournaments or play with inferior lists is MAINLY down to them being new to the game. Im sure they are good, solid players; but with the amount of playtesting and discussion that goes on behind the scenes, it leaves the newer players at a HUGE dis-advantage as they are un-aware of the matchups, and how to implement cards into their decks to help combat the diversity of our metagame.

Our Top8 (Not in any specific order)

John Hawkings (POW-Block)
Sami Sekkoum (BLSAMI)
Irwin-Malek Chair (BLSAMI)
Yacine Sekkoum (Arcanine ex/Lunasol)
Ben Ward (ZRE)
Faisal Kahn - FK (BLSAMI)
Andrew (forget surname =() (Metro)
And one other very kool guy i played in the swiss, i have forgotten his name but he played Dragtrode.

So as you can see, everyone played Archetypes in the top8, 5 of which i built/had a part in building. Zre i have also tested consistently and the same with metro.

In order to win major tournaments, the deck you play is soo important as matchups dictate wether or not you'll be going to worlds 80% of the time. The newer players arent seen as BAD players, just inexperienced in terms of their ability to metagame and in-game skill in certain situations. There have been exceptions to the rule in Dom Jordan (WHERE WERE YOU?) and Justin Kempley who from the start of thier game played with Archetypical decks (or atleast versions of them) and thats one of the main reasons they have done so well and made a pretty big impact in thier first year.

So ill end with saying, try not to take the lil comments people make as an attempt to target your players as bad (are you from Hull?), it WAS a joke and im pretty sure Bens was too.

Ace Gaming, also i'd like to add, i think your lack of SOTG was horrendous and i dont think i need to bring the actual incident to the table. Its actually players like YOU who destroy the reputation of places i've never played at. It is JUST a card game, but im sure many will agree that it has become part of a persons character and for players to attend nationals with no intent on helping continue SOTG, they should really take a look at themselves, and decide wether or not this game is for them!

Last edited:
Ace_Gaming said:
ukpokemonpro, I find this quite hypocritical of you when even you yourself made similar such comments about the North East Regionals a couple of months ago:

Same goes for you Sami:

This is the kind of attitude I'm talking about, of which is completely unjustified. Unfortuantly I do need to address it on here since this seems to be the source of the problem. Yes, I understand people are going to say these sort of things to others because of jealousy, spite etc - this is the real world after all, but the level to which it has now gone is too far. It needs stopping. And like someone kindly pointed out, it is breaking POP penalty guidelines serverley. I wish I had know just how serious it was on the day, otherwise there would have been hell to pay from some of these people...
Like I say the danger is you start a flame war and I am not unsympathetic.. but if you take it as bad attitude I am sorry you feel that way.

Certaily if you want to confirm the states numbers at Hull and Manchester against those in the south east you will find there is a disparity - All I was pointing out is that at London you'll get to play the best - indeed take a look at who won london regionals and who won UK nationals - The Top 8 at the London Regional was a pretty good reflection of Nationals - apart from a few noted exceptions..

Take offense if you have to - complain if you must - but that's trivial ciompared to some posts from the past that you have missed! It is unacceptable but it happens and our LD and TPfG accept it and through them POP too.

SOTG has yet to really bite a player in the UK - maybe you'll get one banned on the back of it? But I do think NoPoke is right your chance to complain has passed.

But how about cooling off now you've vented and made your point? And BTW if you want to quote me don't quote me out of context I think if you look at the full text below no mention of Hull is made.. Heck I am justly proud that London is the Biggest Regional with the best players attending.

If you want to make the NE regional compete with London good on you, I wish you luck and I will come and play if I get the chance but this year I think you'll find we had 77 players in London and the North East had 28!

me said:
Okay guys a gals it's London TIME! Tomorrow is the real deal - No half full halls of local yokels - it's time for to step up to the plate with the big boys with bigger toys.. :D

Sorry just went TO space happy there for a moment.. The calls and emails have been coming in all week and the van is ready to roll.. Will we beat last years attendance figure? Where will we put you all if we do?

All that matters not - The southeastchallenge.com team are very pleased to bring you the biggest pokemon TCG Tournament in the UK - Except for Nationals that is..

It's London Regional Day tomorrow are you ready? Are you steady? And will you triumph?

Be there or hide your head in shame.. London Regionals .. Is it your day to win??

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't be afraid to point out that Nitesh is terrible at playing and Indian... *points at Nitesh and laughs* j/k

(BTW my parents are from Mumbai and Pune... that's in India BTW)

~fK

BTW Africans don't count Sami... DOES IT!!

Ok, as someone whos ACTUALLY played in London and Hull, and the winner of the Northeast Regional, i feel i shud say something.

i totally concur with Acegaming's thoughts on this. region bashing is totally unacceptable.

But this isnt just a region thing. this is an attitude thing. inexperienced players, players who dont have the "best" decks or players who dare to be different (god forbid...) get classed as poor players, and have fun poked at them! and because leagues such as Yorkshire and Manchester are "young" leagues perhaps without all the years of experience and cards that the London area has, they get the mickey taken out of them? where are we? the playground?

ive been to Hull and played, as part of a quest to attend all English regionals (which i did! woooo!) NOT to "collect the prizes" and i was exceedingly pleased to win. and i still am, and im damn proud of my trophy. and its just a big an insult to call Hull a "nowhere" tournament to me as it is to the Hull players! :mad:

may i just say, that in these two "yokel" tournaments, there was not a single heated dispute. not one that i saw anyway and i was there right to the end of both. try to say that about a tournament in the South!!!!! MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, us southerners are SO GOOD, and SO EXPERIENCED and SO INTO THE GAME that we actually forgot that pokemon is a card game. thats right, a GAME. maybe, just MAYBE, they're still playing for fun.

well i say- good on them!

Ur actually having a laugh the London 15+ numbers in contrast to the Manchester, werent a huge difference,lol (IN THE 15+) NOT ANY OTHER AGE GROUP............ Probably more than Bournemouth...............the only reason i didnt make the Top 4 there and came 5th was 1 u only did 4 rounds usually its 5....................I did the same record as i did in the swiss at that point......... in Manchester.....,And to be honest Bournemouth was easy, apart from losing round 1 to Dom Jordan (who won it).

I spoke to the guy who ran the events in Hull, hes a really good player its a shame he doesnt get to play as much as he is more involved with the running. Ben, keep up the good work up......the game needs fresh blood and the Uk is bigger than just the South!

As for Manchester i was quite shocked, as everyone else thought it would be a walk over, totally the opposite..........Theres no difference to playing a tounament in Rainham or in Manchester,theres still the passion, Roddish knows the game just as much as any other TO.............

After countless conversations with Nitish online about how he was champ, i can 100% say the statement above is totally false.

Back