Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Speaking in front of the class

Fox McCloud

I don't know about you guys, but my least favorite part of school is having to present my projects, read my writing and that kind of stuff in front of the class. Sometimes it's because my project sucks, but there are other reasons. Speaking of speaking in front of the class, I have to say ten sentences about something I did over the summer tomorrow in Spanish. I think I might get a good grade this time, but I'm still a little nervous.

Does anyone here feel the same way or have any suggestions to make it better?

Thanks.

I'd say the big thing is not to start to speak too quite, or too fast.
I could say not to look at your notes, but especially in another language, you really need to read it right off the page.

I can't help you here. My best advice is to concentrate on what you're doing. With this, it's a caseof practice makes (almost) perfect.

Yeah... Same problem in college. It's not fun.

Quite possibly the easiest way I've thought about to talk to a large group is to stare at a single point on the ceiling at the back of the room. People will think that you're looking at them b/c of your head angle, but you don't have to see their faces.

Laugh right before going up. You have no idea how much more comfortable it'll make you if you just laugh and relax a little bit.

If all else fails (and you're of age), a little bit of wine will drop some of your inhibitions...

The only way to be comfortable in public speaking is by being confident in what you are speaking about. I can personally go up in front of an audience, and talk about a subject without having prepared at all if I know what I am talking about.

Prepared speech's hold you down because they make you panic if you forget. Just really know the subject matter, and watch your confidence and oration skills drastically improve!

If you have a friend in that class than look at them everytime you start to feel nervous. Talk to them instead of the whole class. I can tell when my friends are nervous about talking to a class, and I always try to make them laugh. Its not like the teacher is going to dock them (or you) points for laughing as long as you dont get to carried away.

Funny has an uncanny ability to back fire. One of the most awkward public speaking situations is having the whole audience stare at you and not laugh when you say something that was meant to be a joke. Even worse, some people may think are being dead serious and take offense.

However, if you can be funny in Spanish then go for it! Language classes tend to be dull, and most people will appreciate the humor.

Or what if there are a bunch of hot girls? Something might happen....something bad.

OMG...........That is sooo funny!!!!

Just be yourself when in front of the class, I was known as the funny man in school....so when I did a speech in class, I just added humor in it!

Guys, that topic of discussion is clearly not apropriate for this board. Stray more in that direction and this thread will be locked faster than you can say SPANDTOODINATACKULAR.

Funny has an uncanny ability to back fire. One of the most awkward public speaking situations is having the whole audience stare at you and not laugh when you say something that was meant to be a joke. Even worse, some people may think are being dead serious and take offense.

However, if you can be funny in Spanish then go for it! Language classes tend to be dull, and most people will appreciate the humor.

just be clever its not hard lol. make fun of someone else's report or something

I don't know about you guys, but my least favorite part of school is having to present my projects, read my writing and that kind of stuff in front of the class. Sometimes it's because my project sucks, but there are other reasons. Speaking of speaking in front of the class, I have to say ten sentences about something I did over the summer tomorrow in Spanish. I think I might get a good grade this time, but I'm still a little nervous.

Does anyone here feel the same way or have any suggestions to make it better?

Thanks.

Three things:

1.) Have what you are going to say written out and planned well before the presentation. There is no situation more likely to cause mistakes than one where planning is not involved.

2.) If you aren't sure how well you can memorize everything, memorize the sentences to death. Go over them until you can say them in your sleep. It is much harder to forget something when it is chiseled into your skull.

3.) This is somewhat complicated because you will be speaking in Spanish, but make sure that you talk loudly, at a reasonable pace and enunciate everything that you say so that your grandma in the back of the class can hear you without struggling.

3.) This is somewhat complicated because you will be speaking in Spanish, but make sure that you talk loudly, at a reasonable pace and enunciate everything that you say so that your grandma in the back of the class can hear you without struggling.

My grandma's deaf.

Thanks for the suggestions. I barely know enough Spanish to be boring, so being funny would be really, really hard. However, I am planning on saying the word poner in the yo form in the preterit(it is as complicated as it sounds). I just got back from a month long ban and I don't feel like getting banned right now, so I won't say how it's pronounced.

My grandma's deaf.

My grandpa's girlfriend is deaf.

The best advice is be prepared, you will feel more confortable that way. Just remember your not alone no matter how nervous you are know there is somebody in that class room twice as nervous. In my one of my High School english classes there was a kid one of the most popluar kids in school, one of the top players on the foot ball team but just could not speak in front of a class. He got up one time started shaking real bad and had to sit down. Everybodys different.

Hah, I just had to write 10 things I did over the summer too (lolz, I didn't do anything but stay home almost.... but yah lol).

Nah, don't be nervous. Stand up straight with good posture. Look up at the audience every once in a while while you're talking. If you mess up try not to keep thinking about it. Pronounce your words well, think about the way your teacher says things.

And you should always make you projects the best you can... only exception is if you're in a group and they do a bad job and it isn't your fault (sometimes it happens). When you have a good project or speech to present, your confidence will be really good.

A tip to make stuff look a lot better is to type it, and neatly cut it out straight with a paper cutter.

Good luck.

One more thing. Volunteer to go first. Teachers like that and will be less critical of you. Plus you get that stress off of you and can relax as the others present.

Back