Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

SP's VA regionals report

SuicidalPikachu

so... i wake up at 3:45... AM..... get ready, nick picks me up at 5:00 and we roll out. i get a little sleep on the ride up, and we get there. We're a little early so we stop at the Wawa within about a quarter mile of the hotel. I realize my translation for Uxie X is invalid, but luckily the hotel has a free printer and internet. Chat around with everyone, and then i get inside and get registered.

registration ends like 15 mins behind schedule, which is to be expected. and THEN, they announce that something went wrong in masters, so we're going to get start late. they start seniors and juniors off. One of my friends lost his match because a judge ruled that Honchkrow G's target attack gets stopped by unown g... i have no idea why that got called to a judge... Masters still isn't fixed, so they send us to lunch so they can figure it out. Unfortunately, my ride is a judge, so he gets free meals. LUCKILY, there's a WAWA. i walk over there and get a couple hotdogs. good times. After lunch break, masters STILL isn't finished, so they start the others on their 2nd round. about 4 hours behind schedule, we finally start our 1st round.. but wait. Because it was 4 hours behind schedule, they decide to do Pods. 2 pods, top 8 in each. that's fine, except Pod 2 (the one i was in) was horribly stacked. O yea, and we aren't getting any standings for our division either.. another plus.

Round 1: Random G/Mightyena thing.

BTW, im playing G-aymin, which is Shaymin with Houndoom G.

he starts with a farfetch'd.. i start with baltoy. i get set-up and let him KO the baltoy. i bring up shaymin and sweep.

1-0

Round 2: Machamp w/ Palkia

i don't remember what i started with. i dodge the donk and get set-up. he burns thru all his switches and it got to the point where i had 1 prize left and he couldn't KO anything. i had it where everything could be 1-shot by either bronzong or Uxie X, and i win.

2-0

Round 3: Machamp/ Mewtwo

Donked.

we play a second match and i have both Shaymin X and Bronzong prized.. with an Azelf start. really bad.

2-1

Round 4: Dialga G

So, before the start of this match, they decide to do door prizes... 45 minutes of them. so after Countless games of Yahtzee we get to start the match.

He gets off the T1 deafen but i start with Houndoom G, i think.. all i know is it was really close and it came down to him forgetting that houndoom had psychic resistance.

3-1

Round 5: Gardy/Gallade w/ Weavile.

he gets out Gallade and i pull a really jerk move. He says "Psychic Cut, KO" and i remember the ruling given about you needing to declare the ammount of prizes flipped. after 6 minutes of judges double, triple, etc. checking. it's ruled he doesn't flip any, i get 3 prizes in 1 turn due to that and i end up winning.

4-1

Round 6: Dialga G

So, we sit down, and they're like, pairings are messed up, gotta re-pair. apparently, my opponent was 3-2 and so we both got switched...

Round 6: Electivire/Galactics

I start with Houndoom G, and i did not see this deck coming. he gets some key Power Sprays, i whiff a KO on manectric which ends up making him able to KO 3 pokemon off of it. so i lose.

since there was no standings i had no idea what shape my OP win % was. apparently not so well. i get 11th and bubble out.

Props:

Wawa
Really Sugary Fruit Punch
Yahtzee
Free Hotel Internet
Wawa

Slops:

TOM
4 hrs Late
3 hr Drive
Re-pairing
45 min Door Prizes
Machamp Donks
Pods
Stacked Pods
Bubbling Out
Getting home at 4:30 AM

well, good job, and i love wawas. aren't they the best. to bad they don't have any in new england.

I can't wait for the upcoming epic film "Robbie and Nuge go to Wawa". It will be the comedy smash hit of the summer. :lol:

11th in the pod you were in is no small feat, good job man.:thumb:

Last edited:
since there was no standings i had no idea what shape my OP win % was. apparently not so well. i get 11th and bubble out.

This was per PUI not us- nobody should have been posting them for states either...take that up with Customer service if you have a problem with it...

This was per PUI not us- nobody should have been posting them for states either...take that up with Customer service if you have a problem with it...

Thx Toni! I was about to "educate" SP myself :wink:

As to the claim of "stacked" pods....You have no idea. Plus, we didnt do pods bc we were a few hrs late....we HAD to do pods bc the computer wouldnt let us enter everyone onto 1 computer. Thx for asking though :nonono:

We took our lemons and made the best lemonade we could. Nothing else could have been done. Why not thank the staff that were on their feet from 7 a.m. (Set up) until the last match ended at 330 a.m. ????

Keith

Whoever said that was in contradiction of this:

Tournament Operation Procedures said:
3. Posting Standings and Pairings
After each round of the tournament completes, the Tournament Organizer should post the current standings and make an announcement that he/she has done so. ...​
Pokémon Organized Play recommends that all standings and pairings from each round are kept at least until the end of the event.

Does having to fix a few pairings during set up outweigh catching the error before pairing the round?

Last edited:
One of my friends lost his match because a judge ruled that Honchkrow G's target attack gets stopped by unown g... i have no idea why that got called to a judge...
I heard about this. You know, nobody's perfect and people can let stuff get by them some times. He knows this game. I know this game well, and I, as a judge, have made some errors in the past. I just gotta try harder next time and hope for the best next time. Nobody's perfect and somethings bad things happen.:smile:

BTW, im playing G-aymin, which is Shaymin with Houndoom G.
So that's where the name comes from. I thought you just called it that because people don't like playing against it.

Props:
Free Hotel Internet
Yes, very customer friendly.
The venue was great. Clean bathrooms, soft chairs, lovely AC, plenty of (free) parking.
Props to Jeff for picking such a great place.

My gosh, they have everything. It's a great time to be alive.

As to the claim of "stacked" pods....You have no idea
I think he just meant that he got put into a pod that was unlucky for him.

We took our lemons and made the best lemonade we could. Nothing else could have been done. Why not thank the staff that were on their feet from 7 a.m. (Set up) until the last match ended at 330 a.m. ????
Are you talking about a National Championship?:tongue:

Last edited:
Whoever said that was in contradiction of this:

Does having to fix a few pairings during set up outweigh catching the error before pairing the round?

Hey, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately what you're quoting is incorrect and must be outdated.

I don't know where you play, but putting standings up is NOT allowed anymore per TPCi.

To see their record so that they know, players are now advised to see the record next to their names (a new feature)

As for your question, at the bottom, please don't be sarcastic to Toni. She does nothing besides try and help to grow the game. Your argument is with TPCi and their policy.

If the player ignores the advice to look at their record on the pairings, then they deserve missing out on their win.

Thanks for playing, have a nice day.

As for your question, at the bottom, please don't be sarcastic to Toni. She does nothing besides try and help to grow the game. Your argument is with TPCi and their policy.

Shadowcard was joking. See the smiley? I'm pretty sure he would never even consider blaming Toni for that, let alone actually do it.

You just jumped to the conclusion that Shadowcard was being a jerk. He's a judge and a LL, and knows quite well who makes which decisions. I for one would appreciate it if you made sure of someone's intentions before bashing them.

Shadowcard was joking. See the smiley? I'm pretty sure he would never even consider blaming Toni for that, let alone actually do it.

You just jumped to the conclusion that Shadowcard was being a jerk. He's a judge and a LL, and knows quite well who makes which decisions. I for one would appreciate it if you made sure of someone's intentions before bashing them.

If you look at his post, there is no smiley. I'm a LL and Judge very often too, what's your point?

Excuse me for defending a great person/judge.

I for one would appreciate it if you made sure of someone's intentions before bashing them.

I for one would appreciate it if you made sure of someone's intentions before bashing them.
I for one would appreciate it if you took your own advice :nonono:
Squirtle, you are in error with your assumption. My question was of a serious nature, not a sarcastic one, questioning whether or not eliminating that step balances the risk of spending time to fix an error.

Said document from which I quoted is effective 9/1/08 just like the other documents. If you have an argument with it, it's not with me, it is with TPCi. I'm sorry if I'm only privy to the rules as published on the website and not what is said behind closed doors (which would be my argument with customer service) :/ (<--This last sentence would be sarcasm :wink: )

Last edited:
Timothy, the policy has changed (primarily to decrease round turnover time) but the docs haven't been updated at this point. In fact, whereas "old" TOM used to spit out a standings page with OP % etc between rounds automatically, new TOM doesn't. I would predict that you'll see an document update by next season--TPCi is involved with Nats and Worlds logistics by now which are a bit higher in priority.

BTW, you won't see standings posted at BRs (and we haven't done them at Pre's in quite some time)

Timothy, the policy has changed (primarily to decrease round turnover time) but the docs haven't been updated at this point. In fact, whereas "old" TOM used to spit out a standings page with OP % etc between rounds automatically, new TOM doesn't. I would predict that you'll see an document update by next season--TPCi is involved with Nats and Worlds logistics by now which are a bit higher in priority.

BTW, you won't see standings posted at BRs (and we haven't done them at Pre's in quite some time)

Digested .. Filed away ... thanks.

HEY SUICIDAL_PICACHU...

I wish someone would've said "THERE'S SUICIDAL_PICACHU" So I'd know who you were. I always like to try to match Pokegym names with real live faces.

Thanks for the report...

Digested .. Filed away ... thanks.

HEY SUICIDAL_PICACHU...

I wish someone would've said "THERE'S SUICIDAL_PICACHU" So I'd know who you were. I always like to try to match Pokegym names with real live faces.

Thanks for the report...

Yeah, I wish someone would have said that about you, because I missed you saturday.

the policy has changed (primarily to decrease round turnover time) but the docs haven't been updated at this point. ... I would predict that you'll see an document update by next season--TPCi is involved with Nats and Worlds logistics by now which are a bit higher in priority.
This should really be written down in somewhere official instead of getting spread by PTO word of mouth. Players do print out and read these rules, expecting them to get followed. When I get questions about rulings, it is from the website's documents that I quote when it comes to tournament operations and penalties. Should someone want to wave that in our faces, we would be in the wrong to not print standings no matter what higher power deemed otherwise because the rule was never officially printed where players could find it.

This should really be written down in somewhere official instead of getting spread by PTO word of mouth. Players do print out and read these rules, expecting them to get followed. When I get questions about rulings, it is from the website's documents that I quote when it comes to tournament operations and penalties. Should someone want to wave that in our faces, we would be in the wrong to not print standings no matter what higher power deemed otherwise because the rule was never officially printed where players could find it.

You dont see the FAQs and other papers that are sent to PTOs for running events either, yet you dont Q that? Sorry, but that is the rule, whether it is in the rules and resources page on the OP website. The PTOs HAVE to follow their ORDERS or they may get "walking papers". We cannot and will not post standing until the end of the swiss rds, per PUI/OP.

Keith

Back