Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

State of the Format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathorn1

It’s a rare occasion for me to post anything on the pokegym largely due to my blunt nature getting me in trouble but I feel this is a topic that must be discussed. I have played this game since EX Dragon and never have I seen a format in a worse state than it is now. In a game kept alive in terms of competitiveness by rewarding skill in play and deck building we are now experience the most luck-based system since the takeover.

In the game of pokemon most people consider luck to be coin flips. In recent years Pokemon Reversal and Energy Removal 2 kept that a factor in most games but luckily skill based decks like Medicham EX and Speed Spread let the best player win in most situations. This year luck has dominated Regionals and appears poised to dominate Nationals too. This time instead of lucky coin flips its all about the luck of the draw allowing turn 1 wins or complete domination of the board early in the game, many call these 2 scenarios a donk. Nearly all decent deck choices in this format are either solely based on donking or have a decent chance of getting it. Later in this article I will discuss why these donks are not good for the competitive nature of the game and allows inexperienced players to beat seasoned veterans who have put their soul into deck perfection and playtesting.

Lets look at the current top decks. I don’t know the exact numbers but these 6 decks are generally considered to be decks you might run into at a tournament and are widely used as playtesting staples. In no particular order the decks are SP, Machamp, Gengar, Rampardos, Kingdra, and Regigigas.

I know I’m being vague in clumping SP decks together but hey laziness is a virtue. Dialga G is not your standard donk deck. It lacks the ability to kill a pokemon turn 1 but it makes up for it by having devastating lockdown turn 1. With just 1 supporter you can get Energy Gain and a basic metal allowing you to achieve a turn 1 deafen. Couple that with Power Sprays and you stop any set up deck in its tracks. For example I ran Plox for Regionals. I played 28 trainers and 9 of those were supporters. That’s 19 useless cards in my deck. That’s not counting the evolutions that cant be used because I cant candy or set down a Broken Time Space. Even if I did have a Roseannes or Bebes in my hand and drop an Uxie there’s decent odds that they will drop a power spray thus leaving me with a bunch of basics while they get out a Dialga G Lv.X with multiple special metal energies. Even if you do manage to set up they can just poke turn the beast right back up. This kind of lockdown is bad for the game when the only counter is a donk deck.

Machamp is the epitome of the donk deck. He basically guarantees a kill turn one if you get him out. Of course you can state that getting a turn 1 second stage out is not easy task but you must realize this isn’t 2008. With the release of Broken Time Space decks don’t rely on getting Rare Candy to be able to donk. Now with the help of Uxies and cards like Pokedex, Pokeball, Pokeradar, Unown R, Great Ball, Pokemon Rescue, and other things you can basically draw half the deck in the first turn. Now you don’t really have to be lucky anymore to get the turn 1 Machamp. The biggest problem with Machamp though is that it’s incredibly easy to play. My cousin is in the senior age division and attended the Midwest Regionals. The only other tournament he played in was states where he went 2-4. For Regionals I made him a Machamp deck with 2 tech Mesprits in it. He had a light playtesting regiment but that was all he needed to be able to play the deck well. He started the tournament 5-0 before losing his last round and getting the 2nd seed for top cut. Although he did lose to his auto loss in top 8 the fact that he was in a position like that is ridiculous. It shouldn’t be that easy to get the 2nd seed in swiss regardless of age group.

Gengar is also being clumped together for this article. Gengar is difficult to classify as a donk deck because it’s really not based around killing anything turn 1. The crobats and poketurns make it a very good possibility but it’s nowhere near the guarantee of machamp. Don’t think for a second though that Gengar isn’t a luck based deck just because it doesn’t donk like machamp. Gengars entire strategy for beating decks like Tyranitar and Dialga revolves around flipping heads on its Power. It’s easy to make a case for Gengar being the worse offender because not only does it have luck in a drawing sense but it also has it in a flipping sense.

Rampardos is basically the same thing as Machamp. Get it out turn 1 and donk. It just involves even less strategy because theres not Machamp Lv.X.

Kingdra is probably next to Dialga as the most difficult donk deck to play. Its true that thick lines of Claydol and Kingdra coupled with pluspowers make it easy to donk basics but mid-late game it does take some skill to know where to place damage and when to hit for the big damage. Regardless it’s still a donk-based deck.

Regigigas doesn’t turn-1 KO. But if you manage to sacrifice turn 2 and get the 4 energies on him you now have a basically unbeatable monster discarding your hand and deck all the while dealing big damage and its nearly impossible to kill. Well impossible that is unless there’s Machamp and Rampardos running around. He’s more of a board domination donk similar to Dialga than a literal donk.

Lets pretend for a moment all these decks didn’t exist. The format would still be wide open because of decks like Plox, Beedrill, Tyranitar, Empoleon, etc. Spread decks would actually be playable because they would now have time to set up. It’s hard to win a game when you’re spreading 20 to all turn 3 and they have already taken 2 prizes and can 1 or 2 hit KO you. So many high-energy cards are deemed useless now because there isn’t time anymore to power pokemon up and because it’s so difficult to get set up when you cant use powers or are deafen-locked.

So honestly I’m not sure what point is being implied with this thread. Maybe im just venting because of a case of sour grapes. I just want to know if I’m alone in hating this format even more than the uncreative one last year. I apologize for any spelling or grammatical errors; I was in a rush because I wanted to finish it before heading to work. Comments?

Last edited:
I agree completely. i played gechamp and if I had flipped a couple more heads, guess what place I would've been in? Machamp completely dominates because it has an amazing early game, a great mid game, and a great late game. Even if you dont get the donk it's not hard to keep spammin Machamp, and once Unown G gets rotated, Machamp will be a dominate force unless someone Toxicroak does good next set, which I highly doubt.

The reason that Kingdra doesn't see as much play compared to Machamp is mainly because of Dialga G. Machamp beats Dialga G, but Kingdra doesn't have an easy matchup vs it like Machamp, thanks to Machamps best friend Take out.

The format is flippier than ever, and I can't stand it. Guys, play something without flips or something :/

you seem to have forgotten my new nemesis Porygon Z(promo) just as broken as above listed decks and just as annoying to lose to.

1st turn Sableye special dark vs my 50 hp basic isn't a fun way to lose either

Yet the point could be made with all these decks the format is wide open and that could be a good thing. not in my opinion the less skill involved in a format the more random it is and this is sure is not a skill based format.

BLiZz

I agree that things are a bit sick right now. I really am not a fan of it at all. Not only for cheap lucksack decks like this, but also for the matchups of almost every deck in the format. It's like a giant game of rock paper scissors, you just need to hope you get lucky in pairings. Something really needs to be done about this...the "power creep" is starting to go too far. Nothing should kill ANY basic for 1 energy, possibly T1. Nothing. Nothing should have a built in destiny bond, while still being a very good attacker. No format should be like this. I'd much rather have PLOX ruling. It was honestly more fun. (this coming from a plox hater.)

That seems narrow IMHO. This format is not luck based in fact its quite the opposite. Building a deck, that has good matchups against such a hard field take loads of skill. Let me give an example at regionals i was worried about dialga, gengar, champ( kingdra and ramp). So i built my deck to make it undonkable by champ( 3 Weavile, 2 Pachi, 3 Toxicroak), made it so you can play around gengar (weavile, lake boundry, skunktank) i played gengar and the guy never got to use the power once, and i ran houndoom for ensuring that the dialga player constantly has the preasure of two for 120 on them.

So honestly, the format is beatable, its not all about luck if it was, the same players who topped regularly before wouldn't still top now.

I hate that there are so many ways to donk. I can't count how many times i've had a game decided by the flip to go first because both me and my opponent had donk hands. It seemed like half the time when i played my Weavile/Honchkrow G deck against a Machamp deck we would both have donk hands.

That seems narrow IMHO. This format is not luck based in fact its quite the opposite. Building a deck, that has good matchups against such a hard field take loads of skill. Let me give an example at regionals i was worried about dialga, gengar, champ( kingdra and ramp). So i built my deck to make it undonkable by champ( 3 Weavile, 2 Pachi, 3 Toxicroak), made it so you can play around gengar (weavile, lake boundry, skunktank) i played gengar and the guy never got to use the power once, and i ran houndoom for ensuring that the dialga player constantly has the preasure of two for 120 on them.

So honestly, the format is beatable, its not all about luck if it was, the same players who topped regularly before wouldn't still top now.

How did you do with that deck?

Seriously? This is one of the most diverse formats since DX-On. But you say that this format is worse than the reign of Blaziken ex and cruel tyranny of GG/Plox?

This is the format in which the Japanese play, which is supposed to be superior to the modified formats that PUI comes up with. This format is no good either? Should we rotate even if the Japanese stay with DP-On?

Does anyone still use cards from the DP, MT, SW sets, or are those more or less outdated now?

I'd say that this format has so many ways to search and draw is where the problem is. The one-per-turn Supporter rule just isn't restrictive enough anymore since so many powers allow draw and search.

I'm skeptical about two things:

1) Luck based format

My counter case is LB regional where a 'skill' deck took the 158 player masters field filled with all the so-called 'luck' decks.

2) The term lucksack, and its lackey running-dog companions

I'm not digging that term and its scurvy allies because it is so easily applied in an insulting way.

This game needs:
  • less insult among the outspoken.
  • less insult among the accomplished, who are imitated by the merely outspoken.
  • more classy winners (not that we don't have many, we can always use more; strive to win and join their ranks).
Winning deserves respect.
Every championship requires luck as well as skill

How did you do with that deck?

i got second, beating machamp, dialga, gengar.

I lost to jay in the finals, he outplayed me and built a really good deck. I have no complaints.

EDIT: I may have missed someone but ithink i beat all four Lafonte players there

Last edited:
^ i played the same sorta deck, with weavile, toxicroak, houndoom etc + more techs
i decided that it countered the metagame pretty well too. and i got first at regionals.

Skill still trumps luck most of the time. The true luck from this format comes from pairings. With so many different types of decks what you get paired against over an event can make a huge difference in your final record.

I think that vanderbil_grad has hit it on the head. Every deck has one "bad" matchup, so if you can go through a tournament and miss your bad matchups, you got lucky.

In response to The Captains posts, I can say his deck was very consistant, and beat most of the decks we were concerned about. It is a good example of a deck that doesn't rely on hardly any luck to do well.

Captain, did you beat Pooka?

I personally had MAJOR issues with the donks during BR's and cities, but with G decks playing like 17 basics and the ability to recover with E Gain and a great trainer engine in general, things seem to have evened out.... I got turned 1'd in regionals by Machamp followed by a T2 KO via warp, but still recovered thanks to my ability to get out basics and unown g's..... The real luck factor is more what VG stated -matchups, which can be at least somewhat limited by knowing your metagame and appropriate deckbuilding....

I think that vanderbil_grad has hit it on the head. Every deck has one "bad" matchup, so if you can go through a tournament and miss your bad matchups, you got lucky.

In response to The Captains posts, I can say his deck was very consistant, and beat most of the decks we were concerned about. It is a good example of a deck that doesn't rely on hardly any luck to do well.

Captain, did you beat Pooka?

Yep, i beat Pooka, Bigginz, Greg and Flint

Last format was domintated by GG and a couple other decks that could stand a chance. Looking back on that format, it was so much better than this.
Why?
Because games werent ended on turn one. If a game goes past the third turn in this format, I feel completly comfortable in my chances of winning, but until that point I could lose to the worst of the worst. This is my problem with the current format.

That said, this discussiong will change nothing, because pcl doesnt read this and they make the cards

I disagree with you, this format takes a whole load of skill.

I played T-tar and lost $1000 because of 1 misplay in top 4. When you have to play every game flawlessly like I would have had too, this is not a luck based format like you say. For example when you play a G deck, the timing on poketurns and powersprays will a lot of the time decide the game result. I mean the game always had a little luck involved but this can't be the worst season. I can tell you right now that next set it is going to be a lot more competitive, just imagine this entire format of decks gone.

However I think there needs to be a LOOOOTTTTT less flip based cards

SSU
Dialga
Gengar
Machamp

are all cards that can take a lot of advantage with a heads flip, I didn't even list all of them. There are plenty more, level max being one.

I think donks make the game a lot more balanced. It can make an autoloss a quick game that you win. it can have a new player beat an expieienced player. I think it keeps everything interesting.

just throwin in my 2 cence

With every new set there's a complaint about "broken, cheap, no skill decks"

I've been playing for a while and see it every set. If 6 different decks are the current meta, I'm happy.
Last years format was a complete mess. After GE was introduced, it was; plox, skittles. From what I remember.

If something is wrong with 6 teir 1 decks, then I don't know what to tell you.

Saying sp decks take no skill to play is a JOKE! I say this because only people who don't play it, bash it. If you play a "red face paint" deck, then take it to regionals and expect to win it all, your silly.
Although I can admit I did play a non meta deck at states this year. So I can talk.

Knowing exactly how, when, and who, you will use your poketurns, powersprays, and energy gains on is NOT easy.
There is a lot of thought and strategy that goes into what you can, should, and will do.

Plox, for example, had one stratagy and one stratagy only. Take more prizes, and stall with gardy.

Calling out a deck that wins consistantly and saying it's all luck is rediculous. Instead of complaining about how good something else is try countering it. "oh I don't like sp decks, there to good.", how dull does this sound?

I am not at all against the SP pokemon. If anything Im grateful for their being Dialga because of those decks its probably the only one that takes any skill to play. Once watch a Dialga mirror you can really see whos the better player.

Ok you guys are assuming that I think theres no skill at all involved in the current format and thats frankly untrue. My problem is that way too many games are being finished turn 1 or 2 if the donk player goes first. It used to be if you lost turn 1 you really had something to gripe about because it probably only happened a handful of times in the entire tournament. At regionals it happened 3/5 games and honestly I was upset but not really all that surprised. This is not the way it should be guys, games shouldnt be decided on whos got the better opening hand. All these decks are doing is covering up a players ability to play consistently well over the course of a game. Not only that but why are we having 40 minute rounds when the format is speeding up?

Bulbasnore you absolutely confused me, could you go more in depth about what youre talking about?

Saying that last format was unskilled is also totally untrue. Jimmy proved that there were certainly counters to GG and Magmortar but it just took a little skill to be able to run it correctly. Not only that but if you watched a GG mirror it proved the superior player everytime.

Radu your situation is an example of what im looking for. You successfully countered the format and im happy for you. Just wish it didnt involve beating James lol

This format is a lot of fun. Anyone who says otherwise has sour grapes and needs to get over it and enjoy the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back